One woman's view: the disaster that is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

November 20, 2018 |

New York Congresswoman-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has shown over and over that she has a tenuous grasp on basic facts about economics and government.  That does help explain why she’s a socialist, but be warned:  her cluelessness won’t slow her push for a far-left agenda.  In fact, she’s already moving on that, aggressively.

Her critics call attention to her various slips and misstatements of fact –- welcome to the world of politics  –- and she has responded in part by blaming sexism.  My opinion of Ocasio-Cortez is exactly the same as if she were young, clueless, socialist and male.  (For the hypothetical male, I imagine someone cast in the image printed on those Che Guevara t-shirts that make socialists look so cool.)  The main reason O-C won was that she was young and fresh and idealistic, an image that could have worked just as well for a good-looking latino as it did for a latina.  Oh, how I hate identity politics.

Her latest flub involves a reference to the three branches of government.  Those of us who did not sleep through government class in high school –- make that middle school –- know that the Constitution established three branches:  the executive (headed by the President), the judicial (headed by the Supreme Court), and the legislative (consisting of two elective bodies, the House of Representatives and the Senate).  This is as basic as it gets.  Now that Ocasio-Cortez is actually going to be a part of this, I wonder if she can even find her little square on the organizational chart.

I also wonder if she slept through that little film we all watched about how a bill becomes a law.

Anyway, here’s what she said in an online video to her supporters:  “If we work our butts off to make sure that we take back all three chambers of Congress --- uh, rather, all three chambers of government, the Presidency, the Senate and the House...”

When she was confronted on Twitter about her basic lack of knowledge, she responded:  “Maybe instead of Republicans drooling over every minute of footage of me in slow-mo, waiting to chop up word slips that I correct in real-tomd [sic], they actually step up enough to make the argument they want to make.  That they don’t believe people have a right to health care.”

Okay, let’s talk about health care.  The government-run, single-payer health care plan she supports, dubbed “Medicare For All,” has been determined in a study by George Mason University Mercatus Center to cost $32 trillion over 10 years.  (And these estimates always run low.)  I don’t have an economics degree like Ms. Ocasio-Cortez –- hers is in economics and international relations from Boston University –- but I think this may be so much money that if you laid the dollar bills end to end, they would reach from the Earth to somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

But on Thursday, during an interview with Jorge Ramos, she said she is “puzzled” as to why people keep asking her how we’re going to pay for socialized medicine:  “People often say, like, how are you going to pay for it, and I find the question so puzzling, because how do you pay for something that’s more affordable?”

“How do you pay for cheaper rent?” she asked.  “You just pay for it.  You’re paying more now!”

Ocasio-Cortez seems to be bit confused.  The study by the Mercatus Center did predict that drug prices would fall under such a system.  On the other hand, vastly higher demand for drugs and for all medical services would drive up costs astronomically.

Money seems to be an abstract concept for her.  Now, here is where having a man comment on her understanding of economics might be viewed –- at least by her –- as sexist, but coming from me, it isn’t.  There’s an old Blondie-Dagwood joke (from before my time, I feel compelled to say) that talks about Blondie’s understanding of how to save household money.  Blondie goes shopping and comes home with a pretty new hat.  Dagwood says, “Blondie!!  We can’t afford that!”  Blondie says, “Sure we can!  This hat was on sale for $5 off, so when I bought it I saved $5.  You’ll be glad to know I bought two more and now we’re $15 ahead.”  Dagwood slaps his forehead and goes off to make a sandwich.

Now, see?  That old wheeze is as sexist as can be, but Ocasio-Cortez is demonstrating just about the same level of knowledge of economics.  “You just pay for it”???

Speaking of “just paying for it,” Ocasio-Cortez is facing a logistical problem in getting an apartment in DC and complains that the system doesn’t favor lower-income people.  She had to leave her restaurant job and doesn’t start getting her congressional salary until January, so she and he partner are “just kind of squirreling away” and hoping they can manage till then.  To get an apartment, which no doubt is fairly pricey in the DC area, she probably has to put up the first and last month’s rent, plus a security deposit, and maybe a pet deposit, and then pay the movers, and after that make a few trips to Target if she needs a few things.

Come on, Alexandria.  You just pay for it.

It’ll be tight for a while, but even socialist legislators manage to put away quite a bit of money while they’re in office.  Bernie Sanders reportedly has three houses.  Ironically, some of the richest people in the world are socialists who donate a lot of their money to activists (like her) who want to spread socialism, which in turn makes the populace (not the leaders) poor.  She’s the face of socialism now, and her supporters don’t even care that she’s ignorant of the current system.  They want to tear down that system anyway.

I should mention that one thing I appreciate about Gov. Huckabee is that, unlike many on both sides of the aisle, he doesn’t nit-pick the opposition for slips of the tongue on the campaign trail.  Having campaigned himself, he knows how easily one can misspeak when exhausted, as when Obama referred to the “57 states,” and he doesn’t want to be unfair in his criticism.  Some of Ocasio-Cortez’s slips may have been that kind of thing, but others clearly indicate that whatever she learned in college, it had much more to do with activism than it did with economics or the constitution.

This latest mistake, for instance.  It wasn’t a tongue-twister delivered live --- it was in a video she posted.  Unless this was a live feed, she could have redone it before posting if she’d known or cared what a huge flub it was.

Again, Ocasio-Cortez plans to act very aggressively to push her socialist agenda.  Unbelievably, this newbie is even going after members of Congress within her own party who aren’t sufficiently left-wing or even the right gender/ethnicity.  As reported by the Huffington Post, she’s calling on people to join Justice Democrats’ #OurTime campaign to help them identify Democratic House incumbents who are “demographically and ideologically out of touch with their districts.”  They don’t have to know much about economics, obviously, but today’s Democrats must be ideologically --- and demographically --- correct.  If she’s going to accuse her critics of being sexist, she might want to try sounding a little less racist.

LEAVE LAURA A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  SHE READS THEM!

• Anne Turner

11/20/2018 11:44 AM

I dispair when I think of the ignorance of those who voted for Cortez. If this were not so serious, it would be a huge joke. The good side is that she is going to step in it so often she will offend the brighter members of her own party and drive people away from the Dems before 2020. One can only hope that the voters have not totally lost their minds. What an embarrassment she is to our educational system. I thought .brown was supposed to be a good school. I have an MBA and she did not even read the first chapter of the economics textbook. Even the most liberal of professors could not get around a few basic fact of how economics actually work. Oh well, I think I’ll go put a buy something way beyond my means, somehow I’ll just pay for it. Of course I won’t eat, or pay the utilities, or the house payment. I wonder what my dog will eat. I guess the government will provide.

• Sharon Lee Nichalaus

11/20/2018 11:43 AM

How was she elected? By cemetary votes common American History and local news shows her transparency of not having a clue but part of the Muslim agenda.

• Patricia McArdle

11/20/2018 11:25 AM

We need a NY recount! Cortez got in via VOTER FRAUD

• Dan Lach

11/20/2018 11:16 AM

Ocasio is a disaster and as such will be good for the Republican party... now they have someone in Congress who they can point at and say this is socialism, are you sure you want any of that?
    Let her run her mouth with her clueless "understandings", maybe the dyed in the wool socialists will buy it because they are blind to but the other 70% will see it for what it is. NONSENSE.

• Steven Lechtenberg

11/20/2018 11:13 AM

And they were saying she is the new face of the Democratic Party???? After the election I looked at what was being said by the winners, the democrats that got control of the house again, it made wonder if Wringling brothers& Barnum & Bailey really closed down or moved to Washington in a reincarnated Democratic Party. I also wondered about the people who voted this laughing stock back in control??? The old saying goes that there is no free lunch does not register with voters anymore. We have been some battles, but will loose the war. The younger generations are starting to show their true intent for the country by who they are voting for. Eventually they will get what they want and because of the poor education system they went through will have nothing to compare their new found world to. As long as they have their”FREE STUFF” they will be happy. Don’t own a house, no big deal, Don’t have a job, those evil old people who ran the country took it from me and so on and so on. The young people now have no idea of how a free market society works. By 2026 if they start to really elect these socialist they idolize this country will be a mear shell of what it used to be.

• Kendra Strecker

11/20/2018 10:52 AM

This woman/child won because she's pretty, nothing more.. nothing less.. She's a BIG LOSER because she "forgets" to make sure her BRAIN IS ENGAGED, BEFORE HER MOUTH IS IN MOTION.. just sayin..

• Tom Edgar

11/20/2018 10:35 AM

Thank you for writing this. It is information that needs to be absorbed by Democrats as well as Republicans.

• Dee DeBold

11/20/2018 10:33 AM

There is only one thing more frightening than OC herself...the people of New York who voted for her! Pay their way (free trip) to Venezuela for a year or so, and when they come back, see if ONE votes for a socialist candidate in 2020!

• Jennifer Stinson

11/20/2018 10:25 AM

I think every ballot should include 3 questions pertaining to US government. Get one question wrong and your voted is not counted. People who are ignorant of how government is comprised, or the workings and expectations simply shouldn't be voting. It's those votes that change this country for the worst. Given enough years and they will ruin what it took a century plus to build.

• Rosalie Gilliland

11/20/2018 10:24 AM

Laura, the only reason Ocasio-Cortez won her congressional seat is because her opponent was an entrenched, do nothing career politician. I think anyone could have run against him and won. But Ocasio-Cortez seems wholly unprepared for the challenges that lie before her. Rather than educate herself for the task ahead, she plays the leftist blame card instead. The fact that she revels in her ignorance is ignorant in itself. Luckily for Ocasio-Cortez, her base is as uninformed as she is.

• Kathy Hallmark

11/20/2018 10:22 AM

Can we locate an old copy of "School House Rock" to try to educate the new congresswoman?

• Jerry Merges

11/20/2018 10:19 AM

Why in the world is so much time, tv
    And print, being devoted to this idiot? If I never hear another thing about her, it would marvelous.
    Same goes for all the so-called Hollywood "celebs" with no understanding of the country. And don't get me started on losers in elections. Suck it up, go away.

• Bill Crow

11/20/2018 09:44 AM

Another excellent column. Your contribution is very much appreciated and I always look forward to it.

Watching this young lady speak is almost painful. Throwing out comments like she does almost stirs me, a 75 year out male with a high school education and 50+ years at the financial side of IT, to run for office. I passed my junior high civics class, know how to balance a checkbook, have never had a late payment for any debt I’ve incurred and definitely feel capitalism is far better than socialism. But alas I’m male, white, old and definitely not attractive plus I live in a district with smart people. Oh, well.

Keep up the great work, Laura.

• Susan Perreira

11/20/2018 09:33 AM

I can never remember her name! Yes, this socialist needs to get educated. Or maybe not. The left just doesn't seem to speak truth.

• Helen Tritt

11/20/2018 09:16 AM

Alexandria Cortez is another one of George Soros' favorite as she was associated with Bernie Sanders' campaign...another LOSER!! So she is being propelled by that worldly criminal, no surprise there!

• Stephen Russell

11/20/2018 08:47 AM

GA boycott: Good move, now force those other states: MA VA TN KY OH IL MN etc to reduce taxes for Movie production then If Hollywood boycotts GA.,
    Why not.
    Put funds into other ventures:
    EV Statewide Charging Grid, HSRR, Biotech, Robotics, IT, Defense, Retail, etc alone.
    Dump Hollywood & film credits.

• Elsie Zimmerman

11/20/2018 08:47 AM

She is clueless.....I cannot understand how anyone could have voted for her!!

• Stephen Russell

11/20/2018 08:45 AM

Ms Ocasio Cortez is a blessing:
    1. Knows nothing.
    2. Tie up Leftist agenda.
    3. make Dems look stupid.
    4. Gridlock??
    5. Wont challenge unless on emotionalvalue
    6. No training in life.
    7. propped by Left.
    8. Be recalled later in term??
    & we win another House seat??
    Thanks Dems

One woman's view: the disaster that is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

November 20, 2018 |

Come on, Alexandria.  You just pay for it.

LEAVE LAURA A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  SHE READS THEM!

• Anne Turner

11/20/2018 10:22 AM

• Jerry Merges

11/20/2018 10:19 AM

Why in the world is so much time, tv

• Bill Crow

11/20/2018 09:44 AM

Keep up the great work, Laura.

• Susan Perreira

11/20/2018 09:33 AM

• Helen Tritt

11/20/2018 09:16 AM

• Stephen Russell

11/20/2018 08:47 AM

Why not.
    Put funds into other ventures:
    Dump Hollywood & film credits.

• Elsie Zimmerman

11/20/2018 08:47 AM

She is clueless.....I cannot understand how anyone could have voted for her!!

• Stephen Russell

11/20/2018 08:45 AM

Ms Ocasio Cortez is a blessing:
    1. Knows nothing.
    2. Tie up Leftist agenda.
    3. make Dems look stupid.
    4. Gridlock??
    5. Wont challenge unless on emotionalvalue
    6. No training in life.
    7. propped by Left.
    8. Be recalled later in term??
    & we win another House seat??
    Thanks Dems

One woman's view: the disaster that is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

November 20, 2018 |

Come on, Alexandria.  You just pay for it.

LEAVE LAURA A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  SHE READS THEM!

• Anne Turner

11/20/2018 10:22 AM

• Jerry Merges

11/20/2018 10:19 AM

Why in the world is so much time, tv

• Bill Crow

11/20/2018 09:44 AM

Keep up the great work, Laura.

• Susan Perreira

11/20/2018 09:33 AM

• Helen Tritt

11/20/2018 09:16 AM

• Stephen Russell

11/20/2018 08:47 AM

Why not.
    Put funds into other ventures:
    Dump Hollywood & film credits.

• Elsie Zimmerman

11/20/2018 08:47 AM

She is clueless.....I cannot understand how anyone could have voted for her!!

• Stephen Russell

11/20/2018 08:45 AM

Ms Ocasio Cortez is a blessing:
    1. Knows nothing.
    2. Tie up Leftist agenda.
    3. make Dems look stupid.
    4. Gridlock??
    5. Wont challenge unless on emotionalvalue
    6. No training in life.
    7. propped by Left.
    8. Be recalled later in term??
    & we win another House seat??
    Thanks Dems