How do you solve a problem like Ilhan Omar?

March 9, 2019

To paraphrase “The Sound of Music,” how do you solve a problem like Ilhan Omar?  The Democrats have tried blaming her repeated anti-Semitic ravings on Republicans (for daring to complain about them), calling it a misinterpretation of what she said (she was merely criticizing the business practices of a specific pro-Israel lobbying group, which she plainly was not), and defusing it by passing a meaningless non-binding resolution that says they’re opposed to bad things in the whole general area of prejudice without mentioning any names, of course.

The media have been eager to trumpet those transparent excuses like the good Democratic Party PR flacks that many of them are.  Unfortunately, this requires even the “paper of record” (now a broken record), the New York Times, to make up “fake news” in order to sell the narrative.  Like attacking the pro-Israel PAC that the Dems tried to deflect the heat to with a hit piece filled with inaccuracies, much of it based on quotes from someone who hasn’t worked for that PAC for years.

So what feeble dodge is left to disguise the fact that there’s a growing anti-Semitic far-left insurgency in the Democratic Party, and the old line leaders are too intimidated to call it out?  Well, here’s a new one: Omar simply didn’t know what she was saying!

Inflating this trial balloon was Illinois Rep. Jan Schakowsky, who told an interviewer, “She comes from a different culture. She has things to learn. I am not either trivializing anti-Semitism or the things that she said or saying that it’s okay that she said them, but what I am saying is that I think this is a learning moment for her and a learning moment for the caucus on how to get along.”

Speaker Nancy Pelosi also gave that brand of double-talk a spin, saying, “I don’t think our colleague is anti-Semitic. I think she has a different experience in the use of words, doesn’t understand that some of them are fraught with meaning that she didn’t realize…"

This defense seemed oddly familiar to me, but then I finally remembered where I’d heard it before: the late comic Phil Hartman’s “Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer” sketches on “Saturday Night Live”:

“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I’m just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW and run off into the hills, or wherever. Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine, I wonder: 'Did little demons get inside and type it?' I don’t know!  My primitive mind can’t grasp these concepts…”

(If you’re not old enough to remember when “SNL” was funny, you can see one of those sketches here:  https://vimeo.com/133414453 )

In other words, she’s lived in the US for 24 years and is savvy enough to use common anti-Semitic slang like “It’s all about the Benjamins, baby” and the Jews have “hypnotized” the world, but she’s from such a sheltered culture that she can’t possibly understand what those words mean or why they might be offensive. If we raise an eyebrow at that, then how dare we be intolerant of her culture?

Will that excuse actually work in real life?  I guess the Democrats are betting that we all have primitive caveman brains.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• charles gant

03/25/2019 09:47 PM

I am not a Christian and follow no religious path. As a physician I read journals, and a controlled study published in the Southern Medical Journal suggests intercessory prayer is very effective. I will now pray for Ilhan Omar and all anti-semites, that they extinguish hate in their hearts the only way it can be, to find love. I will pray for all those they have harmed. I will pray that everyone who understands that prayer is one of our best tools to transform the world will do it more often. Your commentary is insightful, as always, now let's pray.

• Barney Flint

03/22/2019 06:37 PM

Gov Huckabee, Your daily fact finding keeps me somewhat sane. Thank you so much. The problem that I see with these representatives and the legal way (voting) to remove them will probably not work since they are in districts that are predominately muslim. So, they are going to get re-elected again and again. I do not believe that any representative of our government should be able to swear in on the Quoran vs the Bible. That should have been the first red flag that these persons had no business in the United States Legislature in any capacity. This is the "sugar coated" version. I hope I am not correct however, I truly do not see any way the current political situation will be able to be solved short of another civil war. I only hope that I can pass on to meet my Lord before it comes to pass. I swore an oath to protect my country against all enemies foreign and domestic when I joined the military. That oath is still in effect as far as I am concerned and I am prepared even at 72 to protect the USA.

• Edward Vanover

03/20/2019 08:00 PM

How do you solve the problem of Omar?
    Easy. You pack her bags and send her back to Somalia. After all, we don't want 'dual allegiance' people here, do we? And her 'allegiance' is clearly NOT to America.
    To bring up an old saying, "America: Love Her or Leave Her!"

• Terry Trentham

03/20/2019 02:00 PM

The voters of whatever district in Minnesota elected a Muslim to represent them in the U.S. Congress. What did they expect? I believe they got what they wanted.

• Lucy F.

03/18/2019 03:47 PM

Mr. Huckabee,
    Help me understand why our government would have people like Muslims in office? We know what they believe in (especially Omar). They can call it racism or whatever name they come up with, I don't care. I am a law biding citizen and I am sick being slaves to taxes the Democrats. They are using our money to support things that has connections with what we have been fighting against all these years with the different wars. We Know Omar and her upbring and history why is she still there? We know who's running the Democrats. She and her people are pushing a lot. They want to silence us like they did with Judge Jeanine. Take our guns so they can enforce their Sharia Laws and Do to us like they do in (her country). We are NOT a Islam nation! Democrats uses the citizens as an excuse to continue the brake laws, make up laws, and let terroristic people in Congress. Omar has insulted our country twice and believes that she can't be kicked out of Congress. My question is, Who is she or any other immigrant sitting in office dare to think that she can do or say anything without repercussions? She had to escape her own country? If she knows so much and want to judge, she can do that back in her original country and fix things there. This time and era where we need to start enforcing our constitution, and its vital that immigrants in Congress know this and those who disrespect our laws need to be made examples of what we won't tolerate. Its feels like our President is fighting hard and he can't do it alone. Democrats keep changing and making up rules especially for illegals to get ID's and Vote for the 2020 elections. I pray our country get a backbone and start enforcing our laws here and now. We the citizens want to help our country and our president but but we don't know how what to do or how to fight back in a peaceful but stern way. Protesting doesn't work. What we can do to keep this from happening. They using our own against us. Don't wait any longer or things will be bad and will come for us! Christians and Jews need to also step up! God bless America.

• Carl Erickson

03/18/2019 10:57 AM

Hi Mike,
    Please do not forget the backlash she has caused for Judge Jeanine Pirro. Caused the weak-kneed FOX so-called decision makers to pull her show last weekend. Do they not understand the backlash that is going to cause, down to zero, in terms of viewers watching their weekend shows any longer, except for 2 possible contenders for Americans left after and before her show, who speak the truth.
    Keep up the good work that The Lord has given you to do. Maybe someday he will tap you on the shoulder to become our President.. I would vote in a heartbeat for you.
    Blessings,
    Carl Erickson

• Ips Wich

03/16/2019 06:06 PM

The biggest things that I can't believe about the miscreant is who would vote for her in the great state of Minnesota and when she made all those anti-Semitic remarks - where was the outrage from ANY jewish legislator (In NY we have Schumer and Nadler to name just 2...) You could hear a feather drop from any so called insulted politician. This is why this country is turning into quagmire of hate and intolerance. GOD bless the United States and GOD bless Donald J. Trump and his family. Censure the whole Democrat party.

• Carbine Williams

03/16/2019 11:22 AM

Send her back to Somali as soon as possible along with her ilk of both husbands.AOC should be in prison orange right now,but Democrats are above the law.It doesn't apply to them

• Louis Simmons

03/14/2019 01:32 PM

Some History:
    Author unknown

After only several months into their contentious, dysfunctional terms, here’s what “We the People” have learned about the despotic trio of celebrated Democratic freshman…

Rashida Tlaib, the American-born daughter of Palestinian immigrants, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a New York descendant of her mother’s native Puerto Rico, concealed and misreported their true physical residences to gain favor with voters and win their respective Congressional districts. Tlaib fraudulently registered her father’s Detroit address as her official residence despite living in Dearborn, Michigan with her husband and son. Cortez touted her blue collar, Bronx upbringing, despite growing-up in a Yorktown suburb of Westchester County and later attending Boston University. Since 2012, she listed her deceased father’s Bronx address on her voter registration card as her legal residence. In 2017, the vagabond bartender didn’t even know what district she lived in; mistakenly declaring her intentions to run for New York's 15th Congressional District.

Ilhan Omar apparently married her bother, Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, to help him gain American citizenship as a British national; her 2009 marriage certificate marked her “husband’s” date of birth as the same as her biological brother’s…April 4, 1985. And all this in lieu of the fact Ilhan already partook in a “community marriage” with the father of her three children, Ahmed Hirsi, in 2002, and her 2016 campaign literature listed Elmi as her current husband even though they permanently “split” in 2011, without an official divorce, before she had another child with Hirsi in 2012. The Minnesota representative has been tied to multiple anti-Semitic groups, she has publicly renounced any allegiance to America, or any country for that matter, and has urged her Islamic constituents to resist cultural assimilation.

Ocasio-Cortez and Rashida Tlaib have also made anti-Semitic slurs, including criminal threats against private citizens who have questioned their radical viewpoints and socialist policies, elected Republicans who mock their pompous ignorance, as well as fellow Democrats who dare break party lines during legislative votes.

Rashida Tlaib illegally used campaign funds to pay herself a $17,500 salary after the 2018 election, while Ocasio-Cortez and her Chief of Staff, Saikat Chakrabarti, funneled roughly $900,000 in campaign donations into two of his private firms, Brand New Congress LLC and Brand New Campaign LLC. Chakrabarti used these private “consulting” organizations to support aspiring progressive politicians, but more significantly to skirt the traditional reporting requirements of Political Action Committees which require itemizing all revenue/expenditures. According to Tom Anderson, Director of the National Legal & Policy Center’s Government Integrity Project, “In all my years of studying FEC reports, I’ve never seen a more ambitious operation to circumvent reporting requirements.”

All three of these combative, anti-American extremists have urged the impeachment of President Trump for Russian collusion, obstruction of justice, abuse of power and for refusing to divulge his private, legally-filed tax returns. The Democratic House is currently poised to waste millions of dollars and countless brain cells by hosting a non-stop, national inquisition to investigate "all things" Trump over the next two years. Why? Instead of honoring their Constitutional oath and serving the best interests of this country - including exposing those corrupt Obama\Clinton officials who manipulated the judicial process and colluded with the media in a vast, treasonous plot to overturn an election result – their incorrigible ranks would rather besmirch, demonize, and slander a highly-successful, populist leader solely to improve their party’s presidential prospects in 2020.

If I may, what sane, loyal civil servant wouldn't put "America first" in the face of such blatant deception, rabid hostility and unapologetic corruption? Generations of progressive indoctrination is crippling our public institutions' desire and capacity to punish real malfeasance, let alone to simply acknowledge the obvious systemic perversion of our most fundamental checks and balances. The American people, those everyday workers and families held to a separate standard of justice and acceptable behavior, deserve so much better.

• Jeanette Megown

03/13/2019 08:12 PM

I don't know how to say it properly, but 'KICK HER OUT'!!

• Sam Nigro

03/12/2019 05:55 PM

laugh her off...she and Ocasia expel more gas than the cows they complain about

• dale armstrong

03/12/2019 09:02 AM

yep, I can see right though there bs,
    and i have had 2 strokes with brain damage.......she knows what she says.

• margaret snipes

03/11/2019 04:17 PM

I find it very difficult to believe that she actually was elected. Did she run unopposed? Who voted her into office?

• Brigitte Freed

03/11/2019 01:19 PM

She knew enough to know what NOT to say in order to get herself elected so I don't buy any of the arguments she and they are trying to pass of on us.

• MICHAEL DARWIN

03/11/2019 03:45 AM

The Media and the Democratic party are trying to steal our country any way they can. When did it get this bad

• Becky McMahen

03/11/2019 01:29 AM

She was voted in by a district that will probably continue to vote her in. WE NEED TERM LIMITS. We just cannot continue to let anyone to stay in Congress long enough to gain power and RICHES. Please tell everyone what they can do to support Term Limits. This has to be done from the State level. Congress is never, never, never going to vote to themselves out of their money train. Thanks

• rodney burke

03/10/2019 11:59 PM

that's easy. Treat her like a muslim terrorist which she is. She hates America and she hates everyone else. She will NOT serve the will of the people of MN. She can be removed forcibly from congress as not eligible and deported as a terrorist and undesirable. She will NOT assimilate. She has ZERO allegiance to the constitution since we all know,Muslims want to kill ALL non muslims. This is NOT in question. she needs to be treated as a terrorist threat to America. as all OTHER muslims. Ellison, and what's her name. MN is infested with the disease of Muslim and it needs to be cleansed. Barry, did it and we need to UNDO That too.

• Arlene Franz

03/10/2019 10:20 PM

Omar hails from Minnesota where they elect candidates with different ideas . think back to Jesse---- Pelosi has a tiger by the tail It will be an interesting watch!!!

• Simon Templar

03/10/2019 10:05 PM

Pelosi pitiable excuses for Ilhan Omar "...I think she has a different experience in the use of words..." were both laughable and outrageous."Experience in the use of words" ? Omar's words "...spill their blood ...." (FOX News, last week) are a unique reason to remove her from the Foreign Relation Committee and and the Congress. She is an enemy of the state.

• Mike Trexler

03/10/2019 09:37 PM

I feel the Republicans need to grow a set and demand the she be removed from all her committee assignments and expulsion proceedings against her started.

• Patricia Brake

03/10/2019 09:22 PM

You know the devil is working hard in Washington. I pray for the very young generations future and now that we are retired thought it was going to be nice to visit places we never got to do working everyday. But now not sure, from one day to next what we they do next. God help us all.

• Robert L. Hedrick

03/10/2019 09:15 PM

It seems to me the Democrat Party is now becoming a subversive party? and if Americans don't get their heads out of the sand and recognize it, we are going to lose the United States and the Republic for which it stands under God. The Liberals on the left are either in denial or in support of this subversion and those who would like to do something about it feel like they are in a helpless quandary. The Democrat Party just demonstrated its fear and lack of will to act appropriately to correct this pernicious problem within their ranks.

• Becky MacMillan

03/10/2019 09:11 PM

The only way to eliminate her as a problem is to pursue the laws broken she broke by illegally entering our our country!! Dems seem uninterested in the rule of law..????????

• k yue

03/10/2019 09:02 PM

hi, I would like to add that Ms ilhan omar should put up or shut up. It is a matter of time until all that dirty laundry comes raging out like the dam that could not repaired. If she really wants to tow the party line, she shold reside In Kiev or the capital of Armenia for the rest of her term

• marshall goldman

03/10/2019 08:47 PM

Mike, first, I'm so sorry you didn't get elected. OK Trump is doing a good job, if only he would keep his tweets to a minimum.
    If the congresswoman from Minnesota, doesn't understand her words, SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE RUN OR BEEN ELECTED!!!. There is no room for anti semitism or anti anything when it comes to religion, nationality, sexual orientation etc. Please keep up Your comments, observations and opinions. It's too bad the democrats don't read You. And it's too bad there aren't more conservative leaning radio and tv stations to "get out the intelligent side of what's going on in the US and the World. I feel sorry for our Children and Grandchildren who will inherit the trappings our current politicians have begun. Thank You for what you do.

How do you solve a problem like Ilhan Omar?

March 9, 2019

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• charles gant

03/25/2019 09:47 PM

• Barney Flint

03/22/2019 06:37 PM

• Edward Vanover

03/20/2019 08:00 PM

How do you solve the problem of Omar?
    To bring up an old saying, "America: Love Her or Leave Her!"

• Terry Trentham

• Louis Simmons

03/14/2019 01:32 PM

Some History:
    Author unknown

• Jeanette Megown

03/13/2019 08:12 PM

I don't know how to say it properly, but 'KICK HER OUT'!!

• Sam Nigro

03/12/2019 05:55 PM

laugh her off...she and Ocasia expel more gas than the cows they complain about

• dale armstrong

03/12/2019 09:02 AM

yep, I can see right though there bs,
    and i have had 2 strokes with brain damage.......she knows what she says.

• margaret snipes

• Becky MacMillan

03/10/2019 09:11 PM

• k yue

03/10/2019 09:02 PM

• marshall goldman

03/10/2019 08:47 PM

How do you solve a problem like Ilhan Omar?

March 9, 2019

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• charles gant

03/25/2019 09:47 PM

• Barney Flint

03/22/2019 06:37 PM

• Edward Vanover

03/20/2019 08:00 PM

How do you solve the problem of Omar?
    To bring up an old saying, "America: Love Her or Leave Her!"

• Terry Trentham

• Louis Simmons

03/14/2019 01:32 PM

Some History:
    Author unknown

• Jeanette Megown

03/13/2019 08:12 PM

I don't know how to say it properly, but 'KICK HER OUT'!!

• Sam Nigro

03/12/2019 05:55 PM

laugh her off...she and Ocasia expel more gas than the cows they complain about

• dale armstrong

03/12/2019 09:02 AM

yep, I can see right though there bs,
    and i have had 2 strokes with brain damage.......she knows what she says.

• margaret snipes