How do you solve a problem like Ilhan Omar?

March 9, 2019

To paraphrase “The Sound of Music,” how do you solve a problem like Ilhan Omar?  The Democrats have tried blaming her repeated anti-Semitic ravings on Republicans (for daring to complain about them), calling it a misinterpretation of what she said (she was merely criticizing the business practices of a specific pro-Israel lobbying group, which she plainly was not), and defusing it by passing a meaningless non-binding resolution that says they’re opposed to bad things in the whole general area of prejudice without mentioning any names, of course.

The media have been eager to trumpet those transparent excuses like the good Democratic Party PR flacks that many of them are.  Unfortunately, this requires even the “paper of record” (now a broken record), the New York Times, to make up “fake news” in order to sell the narrative.  Like attacking the pro-Israel PAC that the Dems tried to deflect the heat to with a hit piece filled with inaccuracies, much of it based on quotes from someone who hasn’t worked for that PAC for years.

So what feeble dodge is left to disguise the fact that there’s a growing anti-Semitic far-left insurgency in the Democratic Party, and the old line leaders are too intimidated to call it out?  Well, here’s a new one: Omar simply didn’t know what she was saying!

Inflating this trial balloon was Illinois Rep. Jan Schakowsky, who told an interviewer, “She comes from a different culture. She has things to learn. I am not either trivializing anti-Semitism or the things that she said or saying that it’s okay that she said them, but what I am saying is that I think this is a learning moment for her and a learning moment for the caucus on how to get along.”

Speaker Nancy Pelosi also gave that brand of double-talk a spin, saying, “I don’t think our colleague is anti-Semitic. I think she has a different experience in the use of words, doesn’t understand that some of them are fraught with meaning that she didn’t realize…"

This defense seemed oddly familiar to me, but then I finally remembered where I’d heard it before: the late comic Phil Hartman’s “Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer” sketches on “Saturday Night Live”:

“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I’m just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW and run off into the hills, or wherever. Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine, I wonder: 'Did little demons get inside and type it?' I don’t know!  My primitive mind can’t grasp these concepts…”

(If you’re not old enough to remember when “SNL” was funny, you can see one of those sketches here:  https://vimeo.com/133414453 )

In other words, she’s lived in the US for 24 years and is savvy enough to use common anti-Semitic slang like “It’s all about the Benjamins, baby” and the Jews have “hypnotized” the world, but she’s from such a sheltered culture that she can’t possibly understand what those words mean or why they might be offensive. If we raise an eyebrow at that, then how dare we be intolerant of her culture?

Will that excuse actually work in real life?  I guess the Democrats are betting that we all have primitive caveman brains.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Joan

03/10/2019 08:57 AM

If AOC is "SO" innocent and inexperienced", then WHY did this "poor young and dumb" congresswoman get put on the Government's Foreign Relations Comm?? That is INSANE!!!

• Nathan Paris

03/10/2019 08:55 AM

How do Americans deal with people like Ilhan Omar? Come election time, you vote them out of office. If not by 2020, then 2022. If not then? 2024. Eventually the people may clean up Washington if they stay united.

• Paul Mrozinsky

03/09/2019 09:36 PM

Ilhan Omar is a practicing Islamic/Muslim whose life is determined by the Qur’an. If Ilhan Omar were in any of the countries that are based on Islam she would be dead for her blasphemy of Islam as defined in the Qur’an. To understand the Islamic/Muslims one must read the Qur’an. One must acquire a legitimate PDF copy of an English translation of the Qur’an and read it with the help of the search engine in the Adobe Reader. Read about the Maml?k Dynasty, outside of the Qur’an, that comprised the armies of slaves that won political control of several Muslim states during the Middle Ages. Under the Ayy?bid sultanate, Maml?k generals used their power to establish a dynasty that ruled Egypt and Syria from 1250 to 1517 and extended into Spain. Ilhan Omar will never assimilate into the United States; but will press for the acceptance of Shariah Law that is in the Qur’an. Ilhan Omar committed perjury in her swearing in to the U.S. House of Representatives; because as a practicing Islamic/Muslim she cannot swear allegiance to anyone but Allah. Get yourself an English translation of the Qur’an and read it and understand Islam’s goal to rule the world, which is the goal of the two new female Islamic/Muslim members of the U.S. House of Representatives.

• Stephen Osterday

03/09/2019 09:30 PM

She (Omar) *must* be removed from congress for violating her oath of office and failure to "defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic. She *is* that domestic enemy!

• Sue Newell

03/09/2019 08:20 PM

Exactly!

• Jolyn Linkous

03/09/2019 06:45 PM

I don't understand how she was ever voted in. Why would anyone in their right mind vote for a Muslim in our government?

• Betty McMath

03/09/2019 06:34 PM

Mike, thanks for telling it like it is and making sense of it!

• Linda Egnal

03/09/2019 06:02 PM

First of all, the fact that we now have several people in our Congress who are holding positions that should be held by Americans is already a problem. They did not take their Oath with their hand on the Bible, but on the Quaran and frankly, anyone who wants to take the Oath of Office on anything BUT the Bible should not have been allowed to hold office - they shouldn't have even been allowed to run - and if that makes me something other than a patriot and an American, so be it (I think you'll see many others who agree w/this)! We already went through 8 years of a traitorous president, who was not only NOT an American, but also NOT a president, and look where that took us. Now, we have a President who is ONLY for America and all the hate-mongers need to leave. Secondly, she knew EXACTLY what she was saying and what it meant - believe me, We the People are NOT that stupid as to believe otherwise! Since she made the comments, its obvious that she DID know what she was saying, and thirdly, I say, Get her out, pronto! There is no place for feigned ignorance in our Republic!

• Richard Roetling

03/09/2019 05:52 PM

The things lawyers will say! Nothing illustrates better why so many of us overlook President Trump's transparent statements often lacking in eloquence. The beautifully spoken baloney is far more offensive. If only the mental gymnastics required to manufacture such nonsense was devoted to solving the failings of many government programs.

• Lisa Elliott

03/09/2019 05:42 PM

Ohmar’s connection with the muslim brotherhood, her marital history yo her brother and her constituency that has the greatest ties to SISIS recruitment in the country should disqualify her citizenship

• Jeanne Petropoulos

03/09/2019 05:02 PM

If she doesn't comprehend what she is saying, should she even be in Congress? There are enough losers in that body already! Many who are deaf, dumb and blind!

Dear Governor Huckabee: I love your sense of humor and your reactions to situations! Also miss your show on Fox!

• Edwin Allman

03/09/2019 04:57 PM

Love your commentary, but I do have one small complaint.

Your e-mail newsletter link to your commentary is confusing and, IMHO, poorly structured.

What the newsletter links to are great -- bold graphics, easy-to-read typography. But the tiny. type is a problem in the e-mail letter itself.

I hope you will take this in the constructive spirit with which it was written.

Again, love your commentary! And your daughter is doing a great job, too!

[email protected]

• Edwin Allman

03/09/2019 04:57 PM

Love your commentary, but I do have one small complaint.

I hope you will take this in the constructive spirit with which it was written.

Again, love your commentary! And your daughter is doing a great job, too!

[email protected]

• Joseph

03/09/2019 04:37 PM

If it looks like a moslem sounds like a moslem and smells like a moslem then it is a moslem and no amount of citizenship will ever change her into being anything other than a moslem. These people are raised with a religion that tells them they can lie to infidels if it furthers their religion. They also must always follow the teachings of Mohammed or be cast out. Remember one thing about him as he was a child molester and a war lord. Apparently these are the kinds of people the Democrats have aligned themselves with in their new world order. To believe Democrats will ever do the right thing is now a pipe dream and will only happen when Unicorns return. As for Republicans they are cutting their own throats by refusing to back our President and stand up to the party of Socialism. Come 2020 there may be a shortage of Republicans and the Democrats may very well begin they regime of Destruction of America and then it will be up to the people once more to correct what politicians have destroyed.

• Lou Olson

03/09/2019 04:28 PM

AND she's from MN which should explain a lot. Our State is so far left it can almost touch it's left hand behind it's back and hit it's right hip. But enough on that. How much homework as anyone done on her. She married her brother so he could come over and get citizenship. Then she went back, married another man and brought him over to become a citizen. In one of the Muslim communities here in MN her brother has been put in charge to the extent of $100,000 fully paid by OUR taxes. Don't you just love MN. We're looking to move. Our Governor is now talking a 20% gas tax increase. It's NUTS here.

• Pete Norton

03/09/2019 04:09 PM

Ilhan Omar is full of hate! How that is somehow excusable in the American Congress defeats me. If she is so tone deaf about such comments regarding Jews and Israel, my question is why is she serving in the United States Congress. If the answer is she is representing the people who elected her, perhaps those people need closer scrutiny. At the end of the day if she hates America and Israel so much, there are one way airlines to Mogadishu leaving daily. At this point I will pay her way if she signs a contract stating she will never return to our beloved Country. Our Country is crumbling from this type of behavior a crumb at a time. It HURTS!

• Carol Head

03/09/2019 04:04 PM

All this horse feathers from their mouths! Just check with the Jewish organizations that have met with IH and informed her of what anti-semeism is. Pelosi should be ousted with her for defending this prelude to death camps speak!!

• Ruth Lilley

03/09/2019 03:40 PM

I think the dems just lost the Jewish vote....I knew this was coming...when she took her oath she said so help me allah....not so help me God!!!!

• Richard Terry Aycock

03/09/2019 03:15 PM

The hypocrisy of the Democrats continues to amaze me. Watch the media explode if a Republican made those kind of remarks. Not only would there have been a resolution, they would demand, not ask for, a resignation. Speaker Pelosi is the loudest hypocrite of them all. She may be considered a “shrewd” politician, but she is a fool and an idiot.

• Lorena Dohl

03/09/2019 02:55 PM

I have to wonder if the Democrat Leadership is oblivious to the muslim beliefs. It is in this woman's DNA to hate Jews and Israel. She was weaned on this teaching and it will not be changed for any reason. If they don't stand up to her they will eventually be sucked into what she believes. They all have a cult mentality which is why they never disagree with each other on a vote. If I had a classroom of students who all agreed on something I'd know there was something wrong with my leadership as a teacher.

• Barney Flint

03/09/2019 02:52 PM

Well, now that it has been mentioned, the United States Congress, Senate, DOJ, FBI, CIA, Military, any law enforcement, Office of the President and any cabinet members, all should not allow Muslims. They are not compatible with anything but Sharia law and will never assimilate with US law.

• Steve Braselton

03/09/2019 02:36 PM

She is an enemy of the United States & needs to be removed from office!

• CONNIE L ARNESON

03/09/2019 02:31 PM

get them out of office, they are so dangerous to our country.

• CONNIE L ARNESON

03/09/2019 02:30 PM

get them out of office, they are so dangerous to our country.

• CONNIE L ARNESON

03/09/2019 02:29 PM

get them out of office, they are so dangerous to our country.

How do you solve a problem like Ilhan Omar?

March 9, 2019

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Joan

03/09/2019 08:20 PM

Exactly!

• Jolyn Linkous

03/09/2019 06:45 PM

• Betty McMath

03/09/2019 06:34 PM

Mike, thanks for telling it like it is and making sense of it!

• Linda Egnal

03/09/2019 06:02 PM

• Richard Roetling

03/09/2019 05:52 PM

• Lisa Elliott

03/09/2019 05:42 PM

• Jeanne Petropoulos

03/09/2019 05:02 PM

• Edwin Allman

03/09/2019 04:57 PM

Love your commentary, but I do have one small complaint.

I hope you will take this in the constructive spirit with which it was written.

Again, love your commentary! And your daughter is doing a great job, too!

[email protected]

• Edwin Allman

03/09/2019 04:57 PM

Love your commentary, but I do have one small complaint.

I hope you will take this in the constructive spirit with which it was written.

Again, love your commentary! And your daughter is doing a great job, too!

[email protected]

• Lorena Dohl

03/09/2019 02:55 PM

• Barney Flint

03/09/2019 02:52 PM

• Steve Braselton

03/09/2019 02:36 PM

She is an enemy of the United States & needs to be removed from office!

• CONNIE L ARNESON

03/09/2019 02:31 PM

get them out of office, they are so dangerous to our country.

• CONNIE L ARNESON

03/09/2019 02:30 PM

get them out of office, they are so dangerous to our country.

• CONNIE L ARNESON

03/09/2019 02:29 PM

get them out of office, they are so dangerous to our country.

How do you solve a problem like Ilhan Omar?

March 9, 2019

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Joan

03/09/2019 08:20 PM

Exactly!

• Jolyn Linkous

03/09/2019 06:45 PM

• Betty McMath

03/09/2019 06:34 PM

Mike, thanks for telling it like it is and making sense of it!

• Linda Egnal

03/09/2019 06:02 PM

• Richard Roetling

03/09/2019 05:52 PM

• Lisa Elliott

03/09/2019 05:42 PM

• Jeanne Petropoulos

03/09/2019 05:02 PM

• Edwin Allman

03/09/2019 04:57 PM

Love your commentary, but I do have one small complaint.

I hope you will take this in the constructive spirit with which it was written.

Again, love your commentary! And your daughter is doing a great job, too!

[email protected]

• Edwin Allman

03/09/2019 04:57 PM

Love your commentary, but I do have one small complaint.

I hope you will take this in the constructive spirit with which it was written.

Again, love your commentary! And your daughter is doing a great job, too!

[email protected]

• Lorena Dohl

03/09/2019 02:55 PM

• Barney Flint

03/09/2019 02:52 PM

• Steve Braselton

03/09/2019 02:36 PM

She is an enemy of the United States & needs to be removed from office!

• CONNIE L ARNESON

03/09/2019 02:31 PM

get them out of office, they are so dangerous to our country.

• CONNIE L ARNESON

03/09/2019 02:30 PM

get them out of office, they are so dangerous to our country.

• CONNIE L ARNESON

03/09/2019 02:29 PM

get them out of office, they are so dangerous to our country.