Evening Edition - August 6

5 minute read

August 6, 2019 |

On Monday, Martha MacCallum had a very thoughtful segment on her FOX News show THE BREAKING STORY, talking about the toxic environment surrounding boys and young men, the kind that encourages them to act out with horrific violence. “There’s a sickness in America,” she said.

Partisan “experts” like to say that the people most likely to pick up a semi-automatic weapon and shoot up a public place are almost overwhelmingly young, male, far-right and white supremacist. Statistically speaking, they’re absolutely right about the young and white part, but they’re off on the political/racial animus part.

I was a guest for that segment, but before I came on, Martha talked with the brilliant Dr. Warren Farrell, who has spent the past four decades studying men and boys in America. His overall point: something that leaves young men with a hole in their hearts has been brewing for a very long time. One of the biggest factors is what he calls “the dad deficit,” which is the title of one of his books on the subject. Of the mass shooters who have killed 8 or more people, 26 out of 27 had been deprived of their fathers.

Even though many kids are growing up without fathers today, that statistic is stunning. Dr. Farrell says that boys without dads lack a male role model to channel their testosterone effectively. (Talk about politically incorrect! Boys aren’t supposed to need a man in their lives, according to women who want to believe that. Come to think of it, some would even say they don’t need testosterone.) Men in general, he says, tend to be much tougher on enforcing boundaries than the moms are, which means boys have to learn to postpone gratification, which means they work harder in the present, which means they have more accomplishment in school and sports, which leads to praise and encouragement from others and pride in themselves.

Martha made a good point: that there are many boys growing up in divided families or without fathers who do just fine and don’t go on to commit crimes. (I would add that they manage, in turn, to become good role models for the sons they might have in the future, which is so important.) Many single moms do a great job of enforcing boundaries. But often there’s a clash of personalities that makes this challenging even for moms who see the importance of doing it. We’re not talking here about the boys who do all right –-we’re talking about a particular subset of boys who lack identity and struggle socially.

Martha had a good question: Why is it that of the many girls who also grow up without fathers, almost none become mass killers? They have the same access to violent video games and even to guns that boys do. The answer, I’m sure, is complex, and girls without dads have a different sort of hole to fill, but Dr. Farrell pointed out one key factor: that young girls in fatherless homes typically still have a female role model and get at least some empathy at home. Still, the boys and girls who tend to do significantly better have benefited from what he calls “checks and balances” parenting, with dads dealing more with boundary enforcement and moms focused more on nurturing.

The last words posted by one young man before he shot someone to death were “I wish I had a dad.” Others tell of the sense of power they get from picking up a gun.

Dr. Farrell described a typical scenario in which boys are told by their moms that girls like the sensitive guys, but then they see girls going out with the not-so-sensitive captain of the football team instead. They feel hurt, angry, rejected. “Boys who hurt, hurt us,” he said.

As we see a marked increase in the problems of young men –- including suicide –- Dr. Farrell recommends a White House Council on Men and Boys. Who would’ve thought that the life expectancy of this segment of our population would be going down? But it is, he said, along with sperm counts and even IQ.

Then it was my turn to talk with Martha, who in her introduction brought up the decline in social support systems that used to be the bedrock of communities: mediating institutions such as churches, Rotary Club, Scouting, etc. It’s so true; kids used to get together at the library, the park or the “Y”; now they get on social media. They used to belong to clubs and groups and get involved in community activities; now they’re often lost and lonely. They feel abandoned by their fathers, with whom they would love to identify and can’t. Many blame themselves: “Why would my dad leave me? What did I do? What is it about me that would make him leave?”

What about finding spiritual answers? That’s tough for this reason: How can a young man think of God as his Father, when the image he has of his own earthly father is someone who abandoned him or beat up his mother? But the hole in the human heart can’t be filled just by human things; it has to be filled by spiritual things. It’s the spiritual that gives a young man a higher sense of who he is and why he matters.

White supremacy is a hideous evil. But the young man in Dayton seems to have identified with leftist politics, though the media (of course) are not doing very much with that fact, as it doesn’t fit their false “Trump/racism” narrative. Before the bodies lying on the floor of that mall in El Paso were cold, activists were sprinting to cameras and microphones to politicize the issue and blame President Trump. I don’t remember anyone blaming Bill Clinton or Barack Obama when similar violence erupted during their administrations. Just remember, it’s not the President’s fault –- no matter who is President.

It’s the fault of our culture. Kids get drawn into destructive fringe ideologies because they’re looking for significance in their lives. Lives without significance are easy to throw away. If young people don’t have those basic relationships with their families and their God from which to draw that significance, we all better look out, because some of them will find ways to release their anger and hate, as we continue to see.

'It's our cultural fault': Mike Huckabee pinpoints spiritual crisis behind mass shootings

• Sharron Baird

08/06/2019 07:19 PM

Instead of giving sympathy to the grieving families ( being an example of love, caring & compassion) the leftist politicians used these tragedies for their own selfish political careers. Can anyone say, “bad example”!

• Don Crumbley

08/06/2019 07:15 PM

Gov. Huckabee: Your right on target, except in my day, it was mostly the guy with the "greasy t-shirt" that got the girls attention, not always the captain of the football team. However, I will always remember that my father set the boundaries and mom was someone I went to to plead my case. As an example, in a morning church service one day, as a young boy, maybe 6 or 7 years of age, while I was setting between my father and mother in the church pew, I became bored and began to twist around to see what else was going on or who was behind our pew. My father indicated to me that I wasn't to do that. Well, that warning lasted about five minutes and I was at it again, twisting and turning. The next thing I knew, my father and I were out the front door of the church and headed for our car. Okay with me, as I was out of the church. He put me in the back seat of the car, again that was fine, but he also got in behind the wheel in front and away we went up to the school yard. My father then picked a switch off of a tree and proceeded to give me a whipping, that I clearly remember, even though that was 75 years ago. Lesson, learned, don't ever mess around in church again and never continue to do anything, when he tells you to stop. He set the boundaries and I never crossed him again, as I knew that in doing so, it was not going to be in my best interest. I might mess with my mother's boundaries sometimes, but never with my father again. In today's world, I don't think many parents clearly set the rules very often, so that if you cross the line in the sand, they know there is going to be a memorable repercussion, which actually begins to set up your first knowledge about the rule of law. It all begins with the parents and if one is missing, especially the father figure, things can and will often go astray later on. It is hard for the single parent, but it is also probably more problematic for the child later on. Figures of authority are needed in any family during the child's formative years. I think what we reap today began a long time ago in our culture.

• Bobby Allred

08/06/2019 07:15 PM

Mike,

I didn’t realize that most of those young men in “Antifa” were white.

• Randall Stuckey

08/06/2019 06:53 PM

I spent 28 yrs working as a lay leader with high school age kids and I must say that I had the best time ever. The one factor that stands out is the "dad deficit, for girls it created an inability to trust male figures in their lives, for boys you could see the need for someone to come along side and teach, mentor disciple or just be there. The trust factor also made itself known. Who seeks to be let down or put down. Discipleship speaks of trust, standing firm, walking worthy but most importantly it speaks to the heart about a relationship that is trustworthy. The relationship that let these children down needs a focus on Jesus the Christ, the one who never lets you down.
    This can sound like a sermon but really is my observation as I worked with these kids.
    Incidentally, we had a youth minister who was actually a bicycle mechanic and managed to grow a group of 50 into 400 in 2 yrs. time As our kids learned about one who could fill their void they started to bring their friends and a multiplication started.
    Enough from me, I just wanted to say Dr. Farrell has identified a core issue when he talks of the "Dad Deficit".
    Randy Stuckey

• Thomas DiSalvo

08/06/2019 06:49 PM

I have noticed the young men committing these crimes are in their 20's to early 30's. Defined as millennials. Coincidence, maybe.

• David Wilson

08/06/2019 06:38 PM

I believe that you are spot-on Mike as well as the person you interviewed. I believe that a White House commission would be a start for the man / boy challenges that are being faced and how to connect with our Lord Jesus Christ and the challenges that are not grass by the younger generation without a father! We can only hope that lessons are being learned!

• John Paul McDaniel

08/06/2019 06:37 PM

THE SHOOTINGS

The news media NEVER!!!! mention the Supreme Court as causing all this trouble by their ruling in 1962...…...OR the education establishment that "tucked-their-tail-between-their-legs" and complied with this INSANE!!!! ruling...………….Their MASS REFUSAL to comply would have "backed-down" the court in this ruling...……..You can't put all the education establishment in jail for refusing...…..and if you "could and did"...…...who would run the schools??????????

1962 Supreme Court case: Engel vs Vitale..............GOD was taken out of the schools, away from our children..............no devotionals, no prayers, NO!! 10 Commandments on the bulleton board, no teaching about GOD and His rules for sane, safe living............We are now suffering the results of this horrible mistake..........Make America GREAT!! again???...........We must first return to the GOD who gave us our greatness in the beginning.

• Dot Whitley

08/06/2019 06:30 PM

I recently heard a preacher say that these bad things that are happening, such as murder, floods, fires, and so much more are Gods judgment on America because of abortion. How many babies were slaughtered on the same day's these murders took place, and so few were killed in comparison? God is very angry with America, and this preacher said things will get worse. Murder seems to be okey really, so don't you think young people know what's going on ? I don't know if it's too late for America to repent or not, but we had better give it a try, or it soon will be too late.
    Dot

• Joanna Butler

08/06/2019 06:26 PM

Oh, truer words have never been spoken. I am so sick of politicians trying to "fix" our problems when they have contributed so greatly to the erosion of God and family in our society. The solution is right before their eyes but their ideologies will never allow them to admit the obvious. The soul of man is an empty vessel which needs to be filled. It will either be filled with good or with evil. When people cannot find the good by relationships with God, family, church, community, etc., they seek to be filled with evil. We must right the course to save our society and our people!

• Mike Inman

08/06/2019 06:24 PM

A truly excellent article.

• Arthur Windsor

08/06/2019 06:19 PM

Two mass shooting tragedies - liberals, leftists, democrats and the MSM screaming lies and blaming Trump 24/7 ---- Between Baltimore and Chicago there are hundreds of murders and thousands of shootings EVERY Year - NOT A PEEP from any of them - WHY?
    Maybe:
    1. Both cities are democrat ruled
    2. Both cities have VERY strict gun control laws - proving gun control laws do NOT work.
    3. They can`t blame Trump
    4. Most of it is black on black crime, can`t blame "racist" cops or "whitey"
    5. Proves the democrat agenda is a disaster.

• Lawrence E. Foster

08/06/2019 06:14 PM

Yes, it is the fault of our culture that young men grow up with no father figure, and our culture in too many ways is shaped by the "woke" leftist segment of the political arena. Don't wait for anyone on the left to accept any share of the blame, however. As one wag noted, adulthood is when you accept responsibility, and no democrat or other leftist can be an adult, because they refuse to accept responsibility for anything they do.

• Lloyd Richardson

08/06/2019 06:12 PM

Sorry, Mike. It all comes back to the crappy public school system. As you well know, anyone who has raised children--but especially boys--in the last 40 years can see this. Boys are not acceptable to the public system since they "act out" and don't act like girls. If we do not find an alternative to these awful schools, there will be nothing in another generation.

• Clay McDowell

08/06/2019 06:00 PM

Your lead article on shooters makes many good points especially about the fatherless aspect which is ignored by the mainstream media. However it opens with a statement that they are "white supremacists." An article yesterday on WND shows that just as many or more mass shooters are black.
    See —

As you note the only real answer is a genuine Christian faith coupled with the healing of broken families.

• Diane McClure

08/06/2019 05:53 PM

Always love hearing from you as you have so much to offer!

• Barry Caulfield

08/06/2019 05:50 PM

Might be an excellent time put the availability of Bible study back into school.

• Mary Curran

08/06/2019 05:44 PM

I agree with every word. It’s very sad. Additionally society has been focusing on empowering girls and women We are parents of both boys and girls and our boys deserve attention and love too. Its not wrong to focus attention on our sons as well.

• Gwen Collins

08/06/2019 05:42 PM

I pray for you every day. We need more "truth tellers" like you. Keep up the good work.

• William F. Britt, Jr.

08/06/2019 05:37 PM

Great to see your comments and as always right on target. At 88 I have seen both sides now and our decline came in 1962 when God was removes from classrooms and the slope was already slippery when Roe vs.Wade became law. Violence has become the norm on TV and movies and it has no bounds.
    Only the local communities can save our schools by bringing back the bible and prayer.. Give the Gideons the freedom to give out bibles...

• Stephen Russell

08/06/2019 05:37 PM

Mass shooter sources:
    No Home life
    Gangs?
    No dad
    No friends
    RX use
    Guesses

• Sharon Smith

08/06/2019 05:35 PM

It is true about boys needing fathers. Girls do also. They need a united mother and father. For girls, the whole in the heart means they will likely look for any man to show them love - any man. Just a little love. For boys, if they act strong and tough they are looking for approval and to show that they are men. My ex-husband and I did not have that unity and it affected the daughter more than the boys. Thankfully, prayers helped them but it was still a tough journey. We need families again and God.

Evening Edition - August 6

5 minute read

August 6, 2019 |

• Sharron Baird

08/06/2019 07:19 PM

• Don Crumbley

08/06/2019 07:15 PM

• Bobby Allred

08/06/2019 07:15 PM

Mike,

I didn’t realize that most of those young men in “Antifa” were white.

• Randall Stuckey

08/06/2019 06:30 PM

Dot

• Joanna Butler

08/06/2019 06:26 PM

• Mike Inman

08/06/2019 06:24 PM

A truly excellent article.

• Arthur Windsor

08/06/2019 06:19 PM

Maybe:
    1. Both cities are democrat ruled
    3. They can`t blame Trump
    4. Most of it is black on black crime, can`t blame "racist" cops or "whitey"
    5. Proves the democrat agenda is a disaster.

• Lawrence E. Foster

08/06/2019 06:14 PM

• Lloyd Richardson

08/06/2019 06:12 PM

• Clay McDowell

08/06/2019 06:00 PM

See —

• Diane McClure

08/06/2019 05:53 PM

Always love hearing from you as you have so much to offer!

• Barry Caulfield

08/06/2019 07:19 PM

• Don Crumbley

08/06/2019 07:15 PM

• Bobby Allred

08/06/2019 07:15 PM

Mike,

I didn’t realize that most of those young men in “Antifa” were white.

• Randall Stuckey

08/06/2019 06:30 PM

Dot

• Joanna Butler

08/06/2019 06:26 PM

• Mike Inman

08/06/2019 06:24 PM

A truly excellent article.

• Arthur Windsor

08/06/2019 06:19 PM

Maybe:
    1. Both cities are democrat ruled
    3. They can`t blame Trump
    4. Most of it is black on black crime, can`t blame "racist" cops or "whitey"
    5. Proves the democrat agenda is a disaster.

• Lawrence E. Foster

08/06/2019 06:14 PM

• Lloyd Richardson

08/06/2019 06:12 PM

• Clay McDowell

08/06/2019 06:00 PM

See —

• Diane McClure

08/06/2019 05:53 PM

Always love hearing from you as you have so much to offer!

• Barry Caulfield