Memorial Day: A time to remember

May 27, 2019 |

(The following is a transcript of my monologue from Saturday’s “Huckabee” on TBN.  It includes a message to many men and women who are incredibly important to all of us, and a personal message to the most important person in my own life.)

While many Americans will be enjoying a long weekend of picnics, barbecues, beaches, pools and lakes and music festivals, let’s not forget that Memorial Day weekend is really not just a time to kick off the summer and indulge ourselves in food and frolic.  It’s a time to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice of their lives to provide for us the unprecedented freedom that we so often take for granted as Americans.

No people in the history of the world have experienced the liberties and opportunities or prosperity that we have enjoyed as citizens of the greatest country on God’s green earth — the United States of America.  I don’t say that just as a biased American, but as one who can scour the pages of human history and say definitively that no nation has ever given its inhabitants the degree of freedom, security, and pursuit of happiness as has this extraordinary experiment in government called the United States.

Our Constitution is a simple, yet profound, blueprint for a government in which the ultimate power rests with the people and not with a king, a tyrant dictator, a military general, or even an elected official.  The genius of our nation is that the people have been vested with the highest power, and while we temporarily grant it to those we elect, we don’t give it away.  This great system of self-government with its separation of powers, balance of powers, and accountability to its people has been and continues to be protected against both foreign and domestic threats by those who trade their clothes of choice for a uniform and who trade their personal liberties to accept orders from someone who outranks them.

And in the process of providing that protection, hundreds of thousands of those in our military have willingly given their lives for those of us who will enjoy this long weekend.  No American should take this for granted nor ignore it.  It shouldn’t be left only to the Gold Star families alone to take a pause for a somber reminder of the price of our benefits of citizenship.  We all owe it to them to show respect in some way for those whose death gives us our lives.

For me personally, this weekend marks another occasion worth mentioning.  May 25th marks 45 years of marriage to my wife Janet, mother of our three children, Ya-ya to our six grandchildren, and a pretty amazing woman who has endured virtual poverty with me in our early days, and battled cancer in her spine 44 years ago that doctors predicted would take her life.  When she fought and won that battle, she was told the surgery and radiation would render her unable to have children.  While she lost one, she gave birth to three.

She dropped out of college to work as a dental assistant to help me finish, then went with me on the 45-year journey of a career in broadcasting and advertising, almost twelve years as a pastor, and then the past few decades in the tumultuous and vicious world of politics and government.  She has endured some of the most vile and hate-filled criticism, not just directed at her husband but at her and even her children.  She chose to be a stay-at-home mom when our kids were small, which meant less money but more memories, and when her beloved mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease, she walked that road with her mother until the end.

Forty-five years is a long time to put up with me, so for that she’s a saint.  And I’m proud to have shared life and love with her.  One of her favorite songs is Kenny Rogers’ classic, “Through the Years.”  And now that there have been 45 of them, she’s entitled to say she has endured “Through the Years.”  Happy Anniversary, Janet—I love you!  And I hope we have a few more.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Elizabeth Crouse

05/27/2019 12:06 PM

Thank you for remembering veterans and families. I am thankful communication is better when separated and pay is better so military can have a better life. In the old days we got paid once a month and not great pay. The month lasted longer than the pay check. The ones that want Socialism don’t have a clue. Pray the wake up before it is too late

• Dawn Street

05/27/2019 11:55 AM

Hope you and your wife have many more years of marital bliss. Enjoy your anniversary weekend.

• Lisa Ford

05/27/2019 11:43 AM

First congratulations on 45 yrs. As we all know, it takes a very good woman to hold up a good man. And to raise the children too. God always has a great plan in all things.

I wish we should give all democrats a good civics lesson. They truly don't understand, just what is at stake. And the dems are doing their level best to destroy us. My hat is off to those who expose the corruption. And put in jail those who are guilty. So we can go on being the greatest country in the history of this world. And as far as Old Bernie & AOC goes. Offer to pack them up & move them to Russia to be around like minded people. So they cannot destroy what we have.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

• Dolores Mattingly

05/27/2019 11:37 AM

Happy Anniversary to you and your lovely wife and may you be blessed many more years of love and laughter. My husband and I have celebrated sixty years. A gift from God!

• Bernadette Dillon

05/27/2019 11:32 AM

May God bring this country back to its Christian Foundations so that we will return to a great country of great morals,
    choosing to obey God's laws and love one another as God has so loved us. To raise our children to respect authority and to think is this is what Jesus would do. We need to get back to the days when we chose the right paths and not the easy ones. God Bless America and help us choose your way to restore this Nation as One Nation Under God, Indivisible with liberty and justice for ALL!

• David Womer

05/27/2019 11:31 AM

Mike,

My father joined the Army at the beginning of WWII. It was actually the Army Air Corps (8th Air Force) that he joined. When he went in he was supposed to get trained as a pilot, but they told him they had their quota and he would need to choose between bombardier school or gunnery school. He said he didn't like the idea of kicking bombs out of a chute so he chose gunnery school.

Dad was a tail gunner in a B-17. He flew nearly 30 missions over Germany dropping bombs on industrial targets. The survival rates for tail gunners was about 2%. Had he not beaten the odds I wouldn't be here to write this letter. He earned the Distinguished Flying Cross among other medals. When he came home on leave, the local newspaper printed interviews with him. I still have the original newspapers as well as the original mission sheet with all of his missions recorded, and his medals.

He didn't talk much about the war or his experiences. I wished I would have asked more questions. He never kept in touch with the men he flew with after the war. My uncle enrolled him in the 8th Air Force organization and soon after, two of his crew members saw his name listed in the magazine as a new member and they contacted him. That year was the 50th anniversary reunion for the 8th Air Force, which was held in Boston. I lived in MA at the time and I encouraged him to go. He made the trip with my mother and I met them there. I also had the honor of meeting those two crew members.

When I met one of those men the first thing he said to me was "We never used to hear a word from your father other when we did our checks during the flight to make sure everyone was ok. Once we landed he went off by himself." For reasons I won't go into here, that one sentence helped me understand my father in a different way.

Dad died in 2000 at the age of 76. I think of him often. A number of years ago a local airport in Pa. has an annual WWII weekend. I was able to pay to go for a ride on a B-17. It was a very emotional experience for me. As the plane sat idling with the engines rumbling I found myself going back in time, as if I was about to go on a mission and wondering if it would be my last. It is hard to imagine the fear and determination that must have gone through the minds of every crew member, on every plane, on every mission. Many never returned home alive.

I'm eternally grateful for the sacrifice my father, and the hundreds of thousands of other soldiers, both men and women, have made for our country. War is ugly. Lives are changed forever. We should never let a day go by without remembering and honoring those who seal our freedoms.

• BaoHanh Nguyen

05/27/2019 11:26 AM

Thanks to the Lord for your testimony, brother Mike. May God bless you & your extended families.
    I really enjoy your writing, your thoughts, and your gratitude to the blessings of the Lord is much appreciated.
    I wonder if you are thinking of running for any position in our government in 2020. I am really surprised that President Trump hasn't asked you to serve in his cabinet. Are you too old to be nominated as a Supreme court justice? How about serving as an ambassador to the United Nation? You would be an excellent choice.
    Blessings,
    BH

• Rodney Chipman

05/27/2019 10:55 AM

As an God fearing, America loving conservative person , I greatly enjoy the freedoms our Constitution provides . I also salute all those young men and women that have paid the ultimate price for us to keep and enjoy those freedoms . But as conservative Americans , we had better keep our guard up because there is a liberal movement going on in politics that want to destroy our Constitution and take away those freedoms and turn our great nation into a socialist state and socialism has never worked and will not work now . If they get their way, it will mean all those blessed young people died in vain . We the people should NEVER let that happen . On guard America !

• Richard Nance

05/27/2019 10:51 AM

Well said, Governor in both messages. Hope that you and Janet have a wonderful Memorial Day.

• Patricia Parker-Lennon

05/27/2019 10:43 AM

Happy 45th wedding anniversary to you and your beloved wife. Keep up the good work that you do for us and may God bless you abundantly and your family as well. God Bless America?????????????????????????? ??????

• Jerry Korba

05/27/2019 10:40 AM

I have recognized you Mike Huckabee as holder of a high IQ I also say in my view you elevated it more by knowing what a great asset you have in Janet while some men have taken their spouse for granted including me Through the Years we and I figured out how lucky we have been to have a Wife Mother and Grandmother to guide our families from crib to grave. Women are so extraordinary, smart men figure it out early, some men not as smart takes a little more time. Most families in this country are great in one way or another the reason for most of the success we have in this country is the result of the women we are blessed to have. Thank God for Women!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Shellie Mackey

05/27/2019 10:40 AM

Love you and your wife! Blessings

• Jan Lupia

05/27/2019 10:40 AM

Dear Governor and Janet, CONGRATULATIONS on 45 years together! Just want you both to know that we greatly admire and respect your accomplishment and are blessed to have spent time with you and witness firsthand the love, respect, laughter and pure joy you two share! May God bless you and your family immeasurably and in ways unimagined in the coming years! You are loved and prayed over. Jan & Art Lupia Israel May 2018 #Unforgettable!

• CONNIE

05/27/2019 10:32 AM

Congratulations on your 45th Anniversary. May you both be blessed with many more. Thank you for your article today. Yes, our young men and women have sacrificed their lives for our freedom. May our Lord continue to bless our country.

• Teresa Hajovsky

05/27/2019 10:25 AM

Thank you so much for your words of truth. My husband and I don't listen to mainstream media because it's so biased against our President and what is true and just.
    Happy anniversary and we wish you many more blessed years together.

• Lori Culver

05/27/2019 10:22 AM

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife, Governor! I enjoy reading your words and listening to your patriotic and level headed thoughts and opinions! Thank you for speaking out!

• Jessie B.Pittman

05/27/2019 10:08 AM

congratulations on living a BLESSED LIFE....AGREE with our having a blessed Nation. Never would have dreamed it would get to the point of division and UnGodliness we are at. Why re the illegal activities of the Government being allowed and what can WE do about it???

• David Duncanson

05/27/2019 10:08 AM

Very well said. Thank You for being among those of us who understand the sacrifices made to protect ,This One Nation Under God. We are truly Blessed from on High.

Memorial Day: A time to remember

May 27, 2019 |

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Elizabeth Crouse

• Jan Lupia

05/27/2019 10:40 AM

• CONNIE

05/27/2019 10:32 AM

• Teresa Hajovsky

05/27/2019 10:25 AM

Happy anniversary and we wish you many more blessed years together.

• Lori Culver

05/27/2019 10:22 AM

• Jessie B.Pittman

05/27/2019 10:08 AM

• David Duncanson

05/27/2019 10:08 AM

Memorial Day: A time to remember

May 27, 2019 |

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Elizabeth Crouse

• Jan Lupia

05/27/2019 10:40 AM

• CONNIE

05/27/2019 10:32 AM

• Teresa Hajovsky

05/27/2019 10:25 AM

Happy anniversary and we wish you many more blessed years together.

• Lori Culver