This Is Why I CAN'T STAND The Media

January 26, 2020

MONOLOGUE TEXT

There’s a reason why I increasingly hold the mainstream media in contempt.  It’s because they have destroyed the art of journalism and have replaced it with biased advocacy for the left.  There was a time they at least concealed their partisanship, but not anymore.  The number of true journalists whose stories and reporting don’t tip their hand as to their own political leanings is a very shortlist.  I’ll give you a simple way to determine if a person in the media has crossed the line from journalism to commentary.  If the story is about you or something or someone you like and you can tell whether the writer or reporter likes or despises the person being discussed, that’s commentary.  When after reading or viewing the story, you honestly can’t tell what the opinion of the writer or reporter is, that is journalism.

We need a fair and objective news media.  It’s vital to our great Republic.  The press is supposed to like the referees in a ball game, who may privately have opinions, but keep those subjugated so as to simply state the facts and let the consumer determine what they mean.  They are essentially like the guys wearing the striped shirts, trying to keep the game fair by insisting everyone is playing by the same rules,  But when the guys in the striped shirts wear a team jersey and openly cheer for one side against another, the game is rigged.

A little over a week ago, President Trump signed the USMCA trade agreement, a historic trade deal that replaced the job-killing NAFTA and which was so profound that it was actually passed by an 89-10 vote in the Senate.  Think about that.  It was a truly bipartisan bill that had overwhelming House and Senate support from both parties.  USMCA stands for United States, Mexico, and Canada and it fulfills a YUUUGE promise made by Donald Trump when he was a candidate.  He pledged to get rid of NAFTA and replace it with a trade plan that puts everyone on the same level and stops so many American jobs heading across our northern or southern border.  But how much time did NBC, CBS, ABC, AND CNN and MSNBC devote to this truly major deal that will have great impact on American farmers, manufacturers, and consumers?  ZERO.  Not one second.  Nothing.  They never mentioned it.  They were frothing at the mouth about impeachment that by any reasonable standard is based on political bias, utterly manufactured charges pulled from the blue sky, and carried out exclusively by Democrats as an attempt to overturn the 2016 election that Donald Trump won.

So how can you get information that is trustworthy?  I offer you a few tips:

1. Never take the first “breaking news” as the story.  Too many reporters and networks had rather be first than right.

2.  Discount or even disregard stories based on anonymous “sources” or “high-level officials,” or “senior advisors.”  So-called whistle-blowers are more often smoke-blowers.   And let me be clear—I don’t care where you get your news and information. Even if it’s Fox News where I’m still contributor if they are touting “unnamed sources,” or “my sources close to the President,” don’t fall for it.  It may even be true, but demand better.

3.  If the story doesn’t include a credible and knowledgeable named source to balance or counter the story, toss it in the trash.  It’s where a lot of modern “journalism” belongs.  In the meantime, the media sure is missing some real important news.  And that means you are too.

And if we ever see real journalism again, I’ll quit talking about the New York Slimes, The Washington Compost, CNN, the bottom-feeding Catfish News Network, or BSNBC….

• Jan Fursdon

01/27/2020 11:14 AM

Finally, a voice of reason! I remember Walter Cronkite once said you should NEVER be able to tell which party affiliation a reporter (I can't call them journalists any longer!) belongs to. Thank you Mr. Huckabee, for spreading ... TRUTH!!

• Shirley Dyess

01/27/2020 11:09 AM

I agree with you 100%
    I no longer watch any of the fake news stations, don’t trust them.

• Tom Hodgson

01/27/2020 10:59 AM

What happened to the law against reporting false news. When false news is reported a fine should be imposed on the reporter and the reporting agency. Not a low dollar amount, but an amount that would put a hurt on them, plus they should be made to print a retraction on the FRONT PAGE not hidden in a report. Thank you

• William Taylor

01/27/2020 10:06 AM

When you write, “ But how much time did NBC, CBS, ABC, AND CNN and MSNBC devote to this truly major deal that will have great impact on American farmers, manufacturers, and consumers? ZERO. Not one second. Nothing”. It may be true of ‘spoken airtime’ but it is NOT true of the written word, please see https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/10/politics/nafta-us-mexico-canada-trade-deal-differences/index.html?utm_source=CNN+Five+Things&utm_campaign=75315320db-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_01_23_03_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6da287d761-75315320db-94904669

• titus peachey

01/27/2020 10:05 AM

I just wanted to let MR. Huckabee Know that I really liked his talk at the Conklin event especially the part about giving away before enjoying life really stretched me and want to implement it in my life.
    God bless,
    All the best

• donna L Wells

01/27/2020 08:51 AM

As usual your commentary is astute ,humorous and right on target.
    I met you in Wadesboro NC when I was helping Mark Harris and You insisted I stop taking pictures and come be in a picture. You won me over to Your family. God be with you.
    Donna and Bob Wells

• Darla McCammon

01/27/2020 08:14 AM

It is so sad. I often feel like we should have a funeral for the death of objectivity in our news sources. I watch my TV in sorrow. Their mantra seems to be "if we repeat these lies often enough and over and over, soon the gullible public will believe them." I hope most Americans will refuse to let their vote be stolen by belief in lies.

• Kenneth Arnold

01/27/2020 08:10 AM

AMEN! That monologue was PERFECT. I loved every word of it. Please keep up the good work.

• Donna Sanders

01/27/2020 07:08 AM

I agree, but what journalistic news source do you recommend?

• Sandra Weaver

01/27/2020 05:24 AM

I don't listen to the news anymore I only watch the weather. The News Media are reporting lies and the the true story. SICK OF CBS, NBC. ABC. ETC.

• Todd leitte

01/27/2020 04:40 AM

The owners of these so called news agency's Hire for the most part, People that feel and think the way they do Right? So am I to assume most, If not all of these people are left wing liberal democrats? I am sure glad there are still patriots like yourself where I can still get the news and the facts that help me make more sense out of all the liberal lie's. Thank you for what you do!

• Kay Womack

01/27/2020 04:38 AM

Why don't they come out & say George Soros owns most of the media.
    Such an evil man.

• dave johnsond

01/27/2020 12:17 AM

another great commentary--you are a wordmeister for sure. dj

• Henk Vanderhorst

01/26/2020 11:58 PM

Excellent! Bravo! ??
    Truly straight and unbiased.

• Suzanne Marienau

01/26/2020 11:57 PM

You are spot-on about the media in today's world, sadly. They are blatant in their unwavering support and loyalty to the Democratic party, no matter how outrageously anti-American these people are. I never watch the news, because I don't like being lied to.
    What I can't understand is; what's in it for them? Under President Trump we are paying less in taxes, jobs are plentiful, the endless stream of illegals no longer are pouring into our country, and the United States is once again respected by world leaders. They know he does what he says he will, and he refuses to put other countries' interests ahead of this one. So, why is this so terrible? These leftists act like their lives have ended, and yet things are much better as a whole for the United States. Makes zero sense to me.
    I appreciate you're telling it as it really is, thank you!

• Allen Bush

01/26/2020 11:39 PM

Mike, I mourn for Journalism alongside you. The traditional press and the old tv channels have destroyed respect and integrity, dragging down the few who still are professional and honorable. I hope our beloved Democrat-Gazette can survive in its new format. So sad to lose the printed page. The greater tragedy is that the majority of Americans let the advocates get by with it. The great question is - will they wake up before they vote next fall.

Ann sends you regards and says she is very proud of Sarah.

• Frank Bukovac

01/26/2020 10:34 PM

Mike,
    You are so right, I stopped listening to them ages ago. I grew up with Morrow, and Cronkite cant stand watching them. Keep on

Frank

• Mary Laura Courtney

01/26/2020 10:21 PM

I have been saying this same thing for more than 5 years. Of course, I am not famous and not someone that most people would listen to about anything. I am OK with that because when the people that didn't listen to me or believe me, finally "get it", I get my own private "I told you so!" even without having to say it! Thank you for saying it! I am preparing for my private "I told you so!'s" that will be due!

• jean ellis

01/26/2020 09:53 PM

Mr. Huckabee, I agree so much with your views on the loss of journalism and I find it very disheartening as well as, disgusting. I'm old enough to remember what good journalism is and what it isn't. I have never seen so many outright lies, expressed as facts, in all my life. It must be even worse for you because you are a journalist. I am so sorry for you that this is happening. You should not have to go through this mess. May the Lord bless and keep you close to Him.

• Michael T Youngblood

01/26/2020 09:23 PM

I agree completely but as with many tragedies I can see an opportunity for Donald Trump Jr.
    If He will open a television news channel titled Trump News Network or T.N.N. and hire honest news people He would make another fortune and give Americans a source of honest unbiased news.

• Kevin J. Cook

01/26/2020 09:22 PM

If we had real journalist vs the urinalist we have in the Enemedia, Democrats would never be elected.

• Darwin Drake

01/26/2020 08:17 PM

We have two radio broadcast stations here in Wisconsin, Cross Talk and Brandon House, both being Christian based and investigative for truth. They even take phone calls for questions or added information. Amazing difference between the so called free press and Christian based press. As Brandon House says ,"follow the money" and you will see where their stories come from. It's a shame because the big guys have all the money and can afford TV broadcasting, advertising world wide, and all the high priced names to create the lies and report them. I appreciate you keeping the truth out there for the world to see, if they will look. Maybe some day we will once again be able to get unbiased real truth from our media but I won't hold my breath.
    Darwin.

• Charlotte Brees

01/26/2020 08:01 PM

I watched your show last night. As always, it was great, but I thought your momolog was exceptionally thought provoking. I hope it sunk in on some of those liberals.

• Kathleen Long

01/26/2020 07:56 PM

Thank you for that info. I trust you; I love you and please keep on keeping me informed

• curt norman

01/26/2020 07:53 PM

I think your labels are spot on, and gave me a hearty laugh! I too, hold the media in contempt for
    the same reasons you've expanded upon, and I believe they have fatally damaged their credibility
    with the majority of viewers---forever. I don't believe they ;will ever recover.

Curt Norman

This Is Why I CAN'T STAND The Media

January 26, 2020

MONOLOGUE TEXT

So how can you get information that is trustworthy?  I offer you a few tips:

• Jan Fursdon

01/27/2020 11:14 AM

• Shirley Dyess

01/27/2020 11:09 AM

I agree with you 100%
    I no longer watch any of the fake news stations, don’t trust them.

• Tom Hodgson

01/27/2020 10:59 AM

• William Taylor

01/27/2020 10:06 AM

• titus peachey

01/27/2020 10:05 AM

God bless,
    All the best

• donna L Wells

01/27/2020 08:51 AM

As usual your commentary is astute ,humorous and right on target.
    Donna and Bob Wells

• Darla McCammon

01/27/2020 08:14 AM

• Kenneth Arnold

01/27/2020 08:10 AM

• Donna Sanders

01/27/2020 07:08 AM

I agree, but what journalistic news source do you recommend?

• Sandra Weaver

01/27/2020 05:24 AM

• Todd leitte

01/27/2020 04:40 AM

• Kay Womack

01/27/2020 04:38 AM

Why don't they come out & say George Soros owns most of the media.
    Such an evil man.

• dave johnsond

01/27/2020 12:17 AM

another great commentary--you are a wordmeister for sure. dj

• Henk Vanderhorst

01/26/2020 11:58 PM

Excellent! Bravo! ??
    Truly straight and unbiased.

• Suzanne Marienau

01/26/2020 11:57 PM

I appreciate you're telling it as it really is, thank you!

• Allen Bush

01/26/2020 11:39 PM

Ann sends you regards and says she is very proud of Sarah.

• Frank Bukovac

So how can you get information that is trustworthy?  I offer you a few tips:

• Jan Fursdon

01/27/2020 11:14 AM

• Shirley Dyess

01/27/2020 11:09 AM

I agree with you 100%
    I no longer watch any of the fake news stations, don’t trust them.

• Tom Hodgson

01/27/2020 10:59 AM

• William Taylor

01/27/2020 10:06 AM

• titus peachey

01/27/2020 10:05 AM

God bless,
    All the best

• donna L Wells

01/27/2020 08:51 AM

As usual your commentary is astute ,humorous and right on target.
    Donna and Bob Wells

• Darla McCammon

01/27/2020 08:14 AM

• Kenneth Arnold

01/27/2020 08:10 AM

• Donna Sanders

01/27/2020 07:08 AM

I agree, but what journalistic news source do you recommend?

• Sandra Weaver

01/27/2020 05:24 AM

• Todd leitte

01/27/2020 04:40 AM

• Kay Womack

01/27/2020 04:38 AM

Why don't they come out & say George Soros owns most of the media.
    Such an evil man.

• dave johnsond

01/27/2020 12:17 AM

another great commentary--you are a wordmeister for sure. dj

• Henk Vanderhorst

01/26/2020 11:58 PM

Excellent! Bravo! ??
    Truly straight and unbiased.

• Suzanne Marienau

01/26/2020 11:57 PM

I appreciate you're telling it as it really is, thank you!

• Allen Bush

01/26/2020 11:39 PM

Ann sends you regards and says she is very proud of Sarah.

• Frank Bukovac