While going through more reader comments over the weekend, I found a couple of them that would be especially good to highlight, as, taken together, they make their point even more strongly than either does alone.

The first is from Sheila Wiegman, about the President’s tweeting:

“Mr. Huckabee, if you get a chance to talk to President Trump, could you pass along my plea to him to stop tweeting about Puerto Rico?  We get it, he disagrees with the numbers that were arrived at using an algorithm.  I have been a supporter since day one and I'm concerned all his negative tweeting will continue to overshadow all the wonderful things that he has achieved and could continue to achieve.  He's being tough where he doesn't need to be. Let us defend him with our votes. If the Dems get back in power we are done for.  Also, please let him know I pray for him and our country every night.  Thank you.”

And now, here’s the comment from reader Edgar Doleman:

“I think it might be a good idea for the White House to take some concepts from FDR's ‘Fireside Chats,’ your ‘Evening Edition,’ and Dick Morris' ‘Dick Morris Reports.’  Tweets can point things out and are good for slap-downs and slap-backs, but they're pretty useless for making arguments.  What if every Friday, say, the President or VP taped a ‘Fireside Chat’ of 3-5 minutes providing background, principles and rationales behind issues, both to sort of educate as well as make the arguments ‘we're right and they're not’ and ask the media to broadcast but also put on YouTube and distribute?  Your ‘Evening Edition’ is both humorous and so well written, that it would be a great model to build on.

Read together, these comments point out both the problem and a possible solution.  The President really does need a more effective strategy than tweeting.  He’s had some spot-on tweets, to be sure, but others really miss the mark.  (You and I might know what he was going for, but the words can be too easily misunderstood or twisted by his political opponents.)  There’s something about the very act of tweeting that tends to cause a bypass of the “filter” most people have in their brains, and the results can never really be taken back.  Just ask Roseanne.

But the idea of a relaxed ‘fireside chat’ --- it could be just the thing.  Maybe a sort of ‘week in review’ that summed up the most important things that were going on, citing various accomplishments on the economic and foreign policy fronts.  Or he could start the week with it, looking forward to what’s on his plate for the next several days.  Maybe do both!

It would give him an opportunity to counter the barrage of media spin, and he could get his message out in a much more thoughtful, carefully considered way.  If the Democrats do manage to (shudder) control Congress next year, he’s going to need to be able to do that, more than ever.

Certain media outlets would just ignore it, of course, or else try to pick it apart and tear it down, but in this age of multiple channels of information, the unedited video would still be easy to obtain.  I’d love to see the President take this suggestion.  Both of these suggestions, in fact.  In other words, tweeting NO, ‘fireside chat’ YES.

Mr. President, you’re a busy man, and off-the-cuff tweets are faster, to be sure, but you’ve got talented people who could help you put this together.  When you feel the urge to tweet, just use those fingers to tap out a quick “note to self” to save the idea and think about for your next ‘fireside chat’!

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

About that Louisiana election

• Linda Radosevich

09/17/2018 03:01 PM

THREE great suggestions: no to tweeting, yes to fireside chats, and yes to 'note to self' instead of tweeting! Thank you, Governor!

• Rolen Sell

09/17/2018 02:54 PM

This is short but I just want to express my agreement to the suggestion of less or no tweets and the "fireside chat." I believe it would be much better. In addition, I want to thank you, Mr. Huckabee, for this daily newsletter. It is the only way we can hear the truth and it certainly helps me to know what to specifically pray for each day. Please keep up your good work and God bless.

• David Wilson

09/17/2018 02:50 PM

Mike I really appreciate the idea of the fireside chat approach! Using current technology it could be an extremely relaxed environment for him to in the collective sense get his ideas together and express them to us the people that voted for him and care about him so much. Keep up the good work Mike and this from one of your numerous fans think the fireside chat idea is excellent! God bless you and God bless your family.

• Maureen Wagner

09/17/2018 02:09 PM

I agree...please stop the tweets. Don't say anything. Don't give them the satisfaction of behaving like they do. I pray for President Trump and his family every day. I pray for truth to come out. I pray that God will help us turn back to him and stop this hatred and childish behavior. I'm so over this craziness!

• Gary Frazier

09/17/2018 01:31 PM

I suggested this months ago at a meeting at the White House with Jennifer Corn, Presidents liaison to a ministers group. Results would be far better than Tweets.

• S Keller

09/17/2018 01:28 PM

Big problem is that you would have to have ALL of the media televise the fireside chats and not edit. That is the first big problem as the FAKE news media would NOT put it on air, especially without edit. They have already proven that they will edit BEFORE showing it. Self evident with the rallies of editing out people and their signs from the pictures. Has been proven without a doubt
    So NO credibility would be given to it, if they would actually air the fireside chat.
    We also know that President Trump is not overly elegant with his choice of words, so people would not want to believe that it is his words and NOT written for him. He is a man that uses simple language to state anything so, is therefore criticized, mocked and ridiculed after all of his conversations and presentations. It is the one thing that has given credibility to his texts as it is from only his phone that they come.
    The other issue is that the opposition has shown themselves to try and turn any of this president's positive success into a negative, through their use of manipulation of language and innuendo.
    The other and even more important issue is that this would NOT be a fair representation of who Donald Trump really is as a person. This would make and be an ABSOLUTE FAKE image of him as the person he is and always will be.
    The problem with people today is that they want to see a fake image of what they expect a president to be or look, act like. It is not only why he was elected, to get rid of the lies, false images and corruption that has been taking place for years in government.
    If you want to have this President be any particular image, have a portrait contracted and then you can pose him whatever image you believe he should portray. Having ANYONE be or live up to YOUR own personal ideals is like putting them in chains and making them your personal slave. Thought that was outlawed many years ago?
    Well a nice idea for the fireside chats would at this point not work or hold credibility from either side. Also, while it would seem a nice thing in the beginning it would become scripted and people from all sides would tune out eventually.
    Tweeting is a spur of the moment and allows people to know what he is thinking at that particular moment in time. It also let's ALL people know that he is paying attention to all that is going on in and regarding the country!
    With all of that said.....yes the president could use a proof reader sometimes.........couldn't we all though????????

• Sam Sayger

09/17/2018 01:17 PM

I would LOVE TO SEE HIM DO "Fireside Chats" - even tho I know that the "tweet" thing is more conveinient for him, the writer is right in saying it would stop the falsified "retweets" and online hatred. The "haters" would be forced to lsten to their on hatred alone -- or in company with other "haters" instead of befouling the page for everyone.

LET"S DO IT!!!
    Sam Sayger

• Karen Jones

09/17/2018 01:10 PM

I agree with both of those comments. I am for President Trump, but I would like to see something different than "tweets". As an educator a sit down week in review or the fireside chat is much more suitable to the average working American.

• pamela garman

09/17/2018 01:09 PM

that would be awesome idea....he is too good of a president to sink to liberal levels with those tweets....just give us the great details that he has accomplished.

• Alice A Hogan

09/17/2018 01:09 PM

I agree with Sheila,
    A fireside chat would be great, I can imagine though setting up cameras et al once a week might get complicated, especially when traveling. If Potus is game, I’m down with that!

• Judy Williams

09/17/2018 01:07 PM

How I wish he would do regular fireside chats that are relaxed, but scripted—not rambling diatribes. Succinct and positive. I am praying that he will stop tweeting except to congratulate or praise someone or to promote a policy that the people and Congress should support. Belittling, argumentative tweets diminish both the office and the person of the President of the United States.

• Richard F Young

09/17/2018 01:03 PM

Why not fireside chats and tweets? I don’t tweet but I love the ones I read on my computer or on the news. (Lou Dobs is a great source). Instant response to nasty lies via tweets is necessary. Remember, President Trump was elected because he knows how to connect with us DEPLORABLES. Actually, I get tired of people giving advice. Trust him. That’s why you voted for him.

• Cheryl Mathison

09/17/2018 01:03 PM

I think it’s a great idea! When the President sticks to the script, with thoughtful explanation of the list of accomplishments, he does a great job. When he goes “off script” with comments or nicknames of detractors, he loses ‘undecided’ voters.
    He has great ideas, but he doesn’t explain them well enough.

• Norris R Harod

09/17/2018 12:59 PM

President Trump should review a few of President Reagan's chats with the public and then do some on major issues being hurled at voters trying to make them not like Trump as a man/person. Start by exposing the key Fake News with examples to establish the false narrative they are trying to create by repeating it daily. He probably should do this one by having Mark Levin ask him questions and show clips demonstrating the points. Trump can do the wall, ICE, and the illegality of sanctuary cities by himself in future chats. Great way to take back the narrative before the elections. Levin should include a small segment on the Fake News polls just before the 2016 elections.

• Betty Scothorn

09/17/2018 12:56 PM

Governor, you summed up both of those thoughts very well. We, too, find the Tweets too divisive in their delivery, too open for unending hate and criticism. Love your ideas for fireside-type delivery.

• Jean blackwell

09/17/2018 12:31 PM

I think the fireside chat once a week would be great. I feel that Presidents text hurt him more than they help. I support President Trump and will continue to.

• Georgia Boutwell

09/17/2018 12:22 PM

I totally agree with both those comments. Trump believes people want him to tweet, but more don’t than do. Hope you can convince him!!

• Georgia Boutwell

09/17/2018 12:21 PM

• Jane Fons

09/17/2018 12:13 PM

Excellent suggestion. As I don't tweet, I can only go by what is reported by the "somewhat" biased MSM, I would love to see either Mr.Trump or Mr.Pence address current issues weekly in a more personal platform. And Thank you Mike, for being a voice a rational thinking in this PC crazy world.

• Betty Jo Simone

09/17/2018 11:44 AM

This sounds so sensible and would be great. But, can the President resist talking too much and ending up with the same messages he sends with twits?

• Jim Evart

09/17/2018 11:36 AM

Mike, why not do a quick poll regarding a weekly "Fireside Chat"? It might be just the right thing to relieve the stress and minimize the media's chance to spin his well intentioned Tweets. This is a GREAT idea!

• Margaruite Williams

09/17/2018 11:19 AM

Regarding Tweeting vs Fireside Chats. Some comments the President 'tweets' should remain untweeted and some tweets need to be heard. I think the name calling/bullying tweets need to stop, because they are a sign of bullying. I believe Mrs. Trumps campaign is about bullying. As far as fireside chats. He doesn't seem that kind of person, but might be a nice change.

• Jeanne McCrum

09/17/2018 11:13 AM

I think it would be a fantastic idea if President Trump would quit tweeting and go to a "fireside chat"! I still support him 100% though and pray for him and his family every day!

• Grafing Lynda

09/17/2018 11:11 AM

I totally agree. I sent President Trump a message after he came to South Dakota. I wasn’t able to go but watched on TV. He was so much more easy tolisten to and he came across so much more gentleman like. I appreciate when politicians and newscasters don’t feel the need to have that in your face bravado act.
    The only suggestion I had was he use the pronoun we more rather than I. He has many loyal awesome people working under him and he needs them to know he realizes that.

• Vickie Fiorentino

09/17/2018 11:09 AM

I am all in on the "fireside chats" as FDR did. Get that man off of twitter.

The first is from Sheila Wiegman, about the President’s tweeting:

And now, here’s the comment from reader Edgar Doleman:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

Wait for it...

• Judy Williams

09/17/2018 01:07 PM

• Richard F Young

09/17/2018 01:03 PM

• Cheryl Mathison

09/17/2018 01:03 PM

He has great ideas, but he doesn’t explain them well enough.

• Norris R Harod

• Jeanne McCrum

09/17/2018 11:13 AM

• Grafing Lynda

09/17/2018 11:11 AM

• Vickie Fiorentino

09/17/2018 11:09 AM

I am all in on the "fireside chats" as FDR did. Get that man off of twitter.

The first is from Sheila Wiegman, about the President’s tweeting:

And now, here’s the comment from reader Edgar Doleman:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

Wait for it...

• Judy Williams

09/17/2018 01:07 PM

• Richard F Young

09/17/2018 01:03 PM

• Cheryl Mathison

09/17/2018 01:03 PM

He has great ideas, but he doesn’t explain them well enough.

• Norris R Harod

• Jeanne McCrum

09/17/2018 11:13 AM

• Grafing Lynda

09/17/2018 11:11 AM

• Vickie Fiorentino

09/17/2018 11:09 AM

I am all in on the "fireside chats" as FDR did. Get that man off of twitter.