While going through more reader comments over the weekend, I found a couple of them that would be especially good to highlight, as, taken together, they make their point even more strongly than either does alone.

The first is from Sheila Wiegman, about the President’s tweeting:

“Mr. Huckabee, if you get a chance to talk to President Trump, could you pass along my plea to him to stop tweeting about Puerto Rico?  We get it, he disagrees with the numbers that were arrived at using an algorithm.  I have been a supporter since day one and I'm concerned all his negative tweeting will continue to overshadow all the wonderful things that he has achieved and could continue to achieve.  He's being tough where he doesn't need to be. Let us defend him with our votes. If the Dems get back in power we are done for.  Also, please let him know I pray for him and our country every night.  Thank you.”

And now, here’s the comment from reader Edgar Doleman:

“I think it might be a good idea for the White House to take some concepts from FDR's ‘Fireside Chats,’ your ‘Evening Edition,’ and Dick Morris' ‘Dick Morris Reports.’  Tweets can point things out and are good for slap-downs and slap-backs, but they're pretty useless for making arguments.  What if every Friday, say, the President or VP taped a ‘Fireside Chat’ of 3-5 minutes providing background, principles and rationales behind issues, both to sort of educate as well as make the arguments ‘we're right and they're not’ and ask the media to broadcast but also put on YouTube and distribute?  Your ‘Evening Edition’ is both humorous and so well written, that it would be a great model to build on.

Read together, these comments point out both the problem and a possible solution.  The President really does need a more effective strategy than tweeting.  He’s had some spot-on tweets, to be sure, but others really miss the mark.  (You and I might know what he was going for, but the words can be too easily misunderstood or twisted by his political opponents.)  There’s something about the very act of tweeting that tends to cause a bypass of the “filter” most people have in their brains, and the results can never really be taken back.  Just ask Roseanne.

But the idea of a relaxed ‘fireside chat’ --- it could be just the thing.  Maybe a sort of ‘week in review’ that summed up the most important things that were going on, citing various accomplishments on the economic and foreign policy fronts.  Or he could start the week with it, looking forward to what’s on his plate for the next several days.  Maybe do both!

It would give him an opportunity to counter the barrage of media spin, and he could get his message out in a much more thoughtful, carefully considered way.  If the Democrats do manage to (shudder) control Congress next year, he’s going to need to be able to do that, more than ever.

Certain media outlets would just ignore it, of course, or else try to pick it apart and tear it down, but in this age of multiple channels of information, the unedited video would still be easy to obtain.  I’d love to see the President take this suggestion.  Both of these suggestions, in fact.  In other words, tweeting NO, ‘fireside chat’ YES.

Mr. President, you’re a busy man, and off-the-cuff tweets are faster, to be sure, but you’ve got talented people who could help you put this together.  When you feel the urge to tweet, just use those fingers to tap out a quick “note to self” to save the idea and think about for your next ‘fireside chat’!

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

Idiotic Policy

Idiotic Policy

• Stephen Russell

09/17/2018 11:00 AM

I say tweet for moment on issue X then later host Fireside Chat with help from FNC The 5, Dick Morris, Rush Limbaugh, etc.
    VP Pence or others can do Chats at locale OR from estd WH Media area alone.
    Go into detail on actions IE how many employees LeftGovt since Trump was sworn in??A-Z depts
    To audit the Fed, Labor, Commerce depts, & beefup Space Force.

IT can be done/

• Jan Jentzen

09/17/2018 10:58 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with the two comments. The tweeting is getting old to everyone I know, and, I agree, they are often misconstrued.

The president, if he insists upon tweeting, should only share positive info in them.

I like the concept of a weekly fireside chat.

Please let the president know that many of his supporters are wanting him to pick his battles much more carefully. The constant tweets are making him look immature, weak and overly sensitive.

• Robert Hornbeck

09/17/2018 10:46 AM

Great idea! keep it under 20 mins, and have a "guest" on for the last 5-7 mins. But NOT a known person, but rather an average American. 1 week a baker from Colorado, the next a teacher from Atlanta, the next a Veteran from Utopia, TX, Etc.

• Rada Morgan

09/17/2018 10:45 AM

To Sheila Wieman I say amen! My sentiments exactly.

The first is from Sheila Wiegman, about the President’s tweeting:

And now, here’s the comment from reader Edgar Doleman:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

Idiotic Policy

Idiotic Policy

• Stephen Russell

09/17/2018 11:00 AM

VP Pence or others can do Chats at locale OR from estd WH Media area alone.
    To audit the Fed, Labor, Commerce depts, & beefup Space Force.

IT can be done/

• Jan Jentzen

09/17/2018 10:58 AM

I like the concept of a weekly fireside chat.

• Robert Hornbeck

09/17/2018 10:46 AM

• Rada Morgan

09/17/2018 10:45 AM

To Sheila Wieman I say amen! My sentiments exactly.

The first is from Sheila Wiegman, about the President’s tweeting:

And now, here’s the comment from reader Edgar Doleman:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

Idiotic Policy

Idiotic Policy

• Stephen Russell

09/17/2018 11:00 AM

VP Pence or others can do Chats at locale OR from estd WH Media area alone.
    To audit the Fed, Labor, Commerce depts, & beefup Space Force.

IT can be done/

• Jan Jentzen

09/17/2018 10:58 AM

I like the concept of a weekly fireside chat.

• Robert Hornbeck

09/17/2018 10:46 AM

• Rada Morgan

09/17/2018 10:45 AM

To Sheila Wieman I say amen! My sentiments exactly.