Ready for another Schiffy week? I know, it’s a thoroughly distasteful mess, something most appropriate for viewing on the bottom of a bird cage. But after a week of witnesses who didn’t have a clue about Trump’s rationale in Ukraine, disagreed with his policies, thought they knew better, wanted to run things and could offer only hearsay “evidence,” we’re now supposedly going to hear from some witnesses with “firsthand knowledge.” And, you know what? I think it actually might get pretty good, especially if you like watching train wrecks in slow motion.

To set this up, recall that former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine William Taylor, in his written statement last week, told the story about the member of his staff who, on July 26 –- the day after the “problematic” Trump/Zelensky phone call –- sat on a patio having lunch with Ambassador Sondland and two other people and overheard his conversation with President Trump. The staffer said he could hear Trump’s side of the conversation quite clearly, as the President was speaking so loudly that Sondland had to hold the phone away from his ear. Trump asked Sondland if the Ukrainians were ready to move forward with “the investigations,” and Sondland said they were.

In his statement, Taylor said the staff member told him (Taylor) that Sondham had told him (the staffer --- see how convoluted this game of “gossip” is?) that President Trump cared more about the investigation of the Bidens than he did about Ukraine, and that Giuliani had been pressing for that. (Are we up to triple hearsay now?) Taylor explained that he was submitting this statement later, as a supplement, “for completeness,” to his original deposition given on October 22, saying that at that time, he didn’t know about this phone call.

When Taylor gave this statement last Wednesday, the media went crazy over their new “bombshell.” Taylor didn’t identify the staffer who “overheard” the call, but “a source familiar with the matter told NBC News that it is David Holmes, the State Department official just added to the calendar to testify in closed session Friday.”

That was Wednesday. At this writing, his closed-door session has been held, and Holmes’ opening statement has been leaked. Here are a couple of paragraphs that zero in on the call itself:

Holmes: “During the lunch, Ambassador Sondland said that he was going to call President Trump to give him an update. Ambassador Sondland placed a call on his mobile phone, and I heard him announce himself several times, along the lines of ‘Gordon Sondland holding for the President.’ It appeared that he was being transferred through several layers of switchboards and assistants. I then noticed Ambassador Sondland’s demeanor change, and understood that he had been connected to President Trump. While Ambassador Sondland’s phone was not on speakerphone, I could hear the President’s voice through the earpiece of the phone. The President’s voice was very loud and recognizable, and Ambassador Sondland held the phone away from his ear for a period of time, presumably because of the loud volume.

“I heard Ambassador Sondland greet the President and explain that he was calling from Kyiv. I heard President Trump then clarify that Ambassador Sondland was in Ukraine. Ambassador Sondland replied, yes, he was in Ukraine, and went on to state that President Zelenskyy ‘loves your ass.’ I then heard President Trump ask, “So, he’s gonna do the investigation?” Ambassador Sondland replied that “he’s gonna do it,” adding that President Zelenskyy will do “anything you ask him to.” Even though I did not take notes of these statements, I have a clear recollection that these statements were made. I believe that my colleagues who were sitting at the table also knew that Ambassador Sondland was speaking with the President.”

Holmes says that after the call, he asked Sondland if it was true that the President did not “give a sh*t about Ukraine,” and Sondland replied that the President did not “give a sh*t about Ukraine.” Sondland told Holmes, “He only cares about the big stuff” that personally benefits him, such as investigating the Bidens.

As for “the investigations,” it’s easy to understand why Trump (and his attorney) wanted not only to uncover corruption but, specifically, to know what happened with Ukraine during the 2016 campaign. If you’ve been reading Lee Smith’s outstanding new book, THE PLOT AGAINST THE PRESIDENT, you know that super-slimy Fusion GPS was working with Ukrainian sources to find anything they could on Trump and/or his associates, such as campaign director Paul Manafort (we’ve seen how that case played out with Andrew Weissmann leading the special counsel). Also, when Trump was a candidate, the Ukrainian ambassador in Washington, DC, publicly trashed his campaign, and that is stunning for a diplomat to do. This is the tip of the iceberg; Trump had every reason to suspect interference and outright sabotage.

Anyway, Holmes’ statement goes on; a link to the entire statement is below. But there are huge problems with this statement, including in his timeline, which has at least one significant mistake. He used Trump’s attendance at a G20 meeting that also included Putin to support his belief that Trump lacked support for Ukraine –- quite a bit of editorializing going on there –- but gave the date as July 28 when it was a full month earlier, before the quid pro quo was even an issue. Just the opposite; on April 16, Trump had had his first congratulatory call to Zelensky, promising him that “we’re with you all the way” and personally inviting him to the White House.

Not just that --- there’s more in this story that defies common sense. For one thing, if these jokers are sitting on a public patio in Ukraine able to OVERHEAR the President on a phone call, that call is non-secure in an extremely dicey foreign country. Can you say “jail”? Who do they think they are, Hillary Clinton?

The truth is, these diplomats and staffers stationed in Ukraine disagreed with Trump over how to deal with that country. You and I knew when we elected him that Trump wasn’t eager to send billions of dollars to other countries unless he had determined that it made sense to do so, that there was some benefit to America. The President was simply being consistent. Besides that, he’s required by law –- you know, LAW, passed by CONGRESS –- to look into corruption, and the efforts being undertaken to clean it up, before sending the big bucks to another nation. The diplomatic corps apparently felt that Trump should support Ukraine in every way, no matter what, and probably saw any hesitation to do anything less as a betrayal.

It’s easy to imagine these four members of the diplomatic corps sitting around a table on a restaurant patio on a pleasant summer day in Ukraine, listening to the President of the United States on the other end of the phone like big shots and then taking the opportunity to badmouth The Boss. Saying that Trump doesn’t “give a sh*t about Ukraine” sounds just like something these frustrated employees (Democrats, I understand) might say after a glass or two of wine. I really wouldn’t count such hyperbole as sworn testimony, though I’m sure Jake Tapper would.

Also, for a great overview of where we are now in all this –- refreshingly calm and rational –- watch the entire Sunday edition of LIFE, LIBERY & LEVIN, featuring Intel Committee ranking member Devin Nunes.

Life Liberty & Levin

• Bob V

11/18/2019 12:42 PM

So what if Congress votes to 'impeach' Pres. Trump? It won't pass in the Senate, right? And if not, then its just a political schtick. (good word to describe this.) At the same time, I'm worried that the country's view of the President will be tarnished, and could affect the 2020 election.

• Jerry Korba

11/18/2019 12:31 PM

Business as usual with the life long government officials usually means my bank account gets smaller by the day. The need for more taxes taken from the taxpayer is plain to see how wasteful and probably so corrupt it is. My take is if a country or government program has reason s to be corrupt payments are to be stopped until the Country or Program can prove it is not corrupt. If corruption is found Government officials have to be cleared they are not a part of the corruption. If found guilty a 5 year payback of our tax money it received because of corruption and 5 years of prison is mandatory for a start of the corrupt official. I believe thats one way of keeping my tax money safe and all the aide given at this point should be reduced by (90%) and reevaluated until corruption is no longer in place. With aid cut maybe books and how the money is being used will be a bit more transparent as one can see The Ukraine situation looks as the officials are chest deep in corruption. The China Tariffs will look like a drop in the bucket compared to corruption of foreign Aid. The money saved may help the American taxpayer with some relief. Have the Democratic/ Socialist party look at that. There is No chance this is one way they can bankrupt America along with the other great ideas they have.

• Robert Driskell

11/18/2019 12:16 PM

If as much energy was spent on solving the problems of this country as is being spent on this witch hunt, we would be a much different, and better, country.

• JC Holland

11/18/2019 12:14 PM

I continue to cringe daily when Fox News pundits and their guests keep saying the American people see through what the democrats are doing. Or, President Trump will win in a landslide because of the economy.

VA, LA, and KY election results should tell them democrats still have plenty of voter support despite their far left socialist platforms.

Republicans, and Fox News pundits need to stop saying this or voter turnout will be low because they keep saying Trump will easily win.

No he won't. I hope Franklin Graham can rally voters to turn out. I hope GOP candidates at the local level will get out to their Hispanic and Black constituents weekly and pound the message home how good they have it due to Trump and GOP policies.

This will be a fight all the way up to November 2020. Take nothing for granted.

• Carol Silicz

11/18/2019 12:13 PM

78 years old. Always Republican. Never disliked democrats until now. They are evil. I hope it comes back to haunt them!

• Harold Levi

11/18/2019 12:12 PM

No Train Wreck! We are watching the Assassination of President Trump by the Marxist-Democrats. Previously, I said the Marxist-Democrats were throwing stuff against a wall to see what stinks - oops sticks. It does not matter what sticks, the Marxist-Democrats WILL Impeach the President regardless of Truth, Fact, or Relevancy. It is an immoral imperative for Marxist.

• Anne

11/18/2019 12:11 PM

There is something troubling me that I would ask you to address publicly. Some of my church friends, very faithful Christians, cannot support Trump because they view him as at the very least amoral, and possibly simply immoral in his life style. He has committed adultery more times than anyone can count, he does tell lies or exaggerates, or doesn’t get his facts straight, he appears to have no religious affiliation, and he disparages others. I don’t like him much myself, but I think he has done a pretty good job, sometimes spectacular job, with achieving better lives for many. I despair when I see and hear the Democratic candidates.

I also despair when I think of SCOTUS being made up of more people who make decisions based on emotion not Constitutional law. For example one judge said about DACA , think how many lives this would disrupt, not is this or is this not constitutional. I happen to believe that DACA should be reinstated but I am not sure a President has the power to override laws passed by Congress and signed by a previous president. Congress, neither party, is doing their job. They are only worried about staying in office.

I am not sure if POTUS can be re-elected but if he is, I am afraid the far left might precipitate a civil war.

• David Arthur Kosinski

11/18/2019 12:09 PM

Our prayer is that "truth will prevail!"

• Thomas H. Nienburg Sr.

11/18/2019 11:55 AM

More democratic, “Swamp”& fake news media lies & fabrications. I’ve said several times, to your office , Governor, & to President Trump that this entire 3 yr. effort on the part of Clinton, Schiff, Pelosi et. al. Is more than just political resistance, it borders on “Sedition”. I’ve read the definition in Webster’s & it sure resembles “Sedition.
    Thanks Governor for all the work you’re doing on behalf of America, it’s Constitution & the people of this nation
    Respectfully,
    Thomas H Nienburg Sr

• Connie Hunter

11/18/2019 11:45 AM

I would like to file a lawsuit against the democrats for wasting my tax money that should be used for helping our country

• Mike Smith

11/18/2019 11:38 AM

Hi Governor,
    The more I read about these numerous "witnesses" that haven't actually witnessed anything, it makes me wonder if there isn't something going on in the background.

Maybe these "witnesses" are being granted some form of immunity for their "testimony".

That would be a good way to protect the "resistance" from future prosecution after all their actions are uncovered.

Something to think about.

• Joe Broadway

11/18/2019 11:37 AM

This reaks of lies. No one could compose a better conversation to hurt trump. I would require a lie detector test from all witnesses and trump. I would bet trump would be the only one to pass. How do people this dumb get these jobs????

• Wilma Ann White

11/18/2019 11:37 AM

Totally hearsay. It would take a VERY gullible person to believe such a 'story'. These Never-Trumpers will stop at nothing to stop President Trump's successes in returning our country to a respected, economically envied country. They will destroy our country with their hatred.

• Douglas George Darchuk

11/18/2019 11:36 AM

This is not an impeachment inquiry or investigation, It is however an excuse to stop the congress from working. Another definition would be a concealed strategic strike, OBSTRUCTION of congress, Lock them up!

• Doug Johnson

11/18/2019 11:31 AM

Hello Gov. Mike, I’m just a redneck country boy from Oklahoma, in my 69 years I’ve seen a lot, but I haven’t seen nothing like what I saw last week. I caught a little of the impeachment zoo. The two men was all second and so on information. I can imagine where some of the information generated, in a booth in the back of a bar( if you think that’s something let me tell you what I think I heard) over several drinks the hear say could be fourth or fifth hand. The woman that was on there as I understand wasn’t working there at the time, so anything she had to add would’ve her on personal opinion. I’ve heard through second and third hand information that all the democrats or crooks, when do we get to start our impeachment on them for not doing there job the last three years. Thanks

• Robbie Mize

11/18/2019 11:29 AM

I am not watching it. I just wait for your comments as I don't have the stomach for it. I would need a whole bottle of Xanax to calm down if I had to listen to that all day.

• James W DeCoursin

11/18/2019 11:19 AM

Keep it up! Mike. You are on target.

Jim DeCoursin

• Jill Butler

11/18/2019 11:13 AM

I know that Yahoo news is pretty one sided, but I am wondering why Trump is firing Mike Pence's aide? Why is he covering up his past conversations and his tweets that he is still posting? He seems to be digging a deep grave around him. I have always supported Trump, but these trials of impeachment even though they are one sided really look bad. It is time that the Dems repent of their heinous crimes which are far worse than Trumps ( so far no one has been killed under him) Clinton, Obama, and even Shumer and Pelosi have caused more deaths to undeserving people.

• Thomas Rundall

11/18/2019 11:12 AM

Let’s just get over this already. The dems know this charade is dead in the senate. I’m with the rest of conservatives in that I want our elected officials to do what we sent them to Washington to do. And this ain’t it.

• Sharon Smith

11/18/2019 11:02 AM

All hearsay or he said, she said. Just like when we were in grade school sitting in a circle and the teacher would give the first person a slip of paper with something written on it and the first person would whisper it to the next and a so on and at the end, it was very far from the written slip. Here we are now.....and way too many closed doors.

• Timothy W. O'Leary

11/18/2019 10:49 AM

I'd avoid Brian Kilmeade. He's not an ally. He's on the same payroll as Chris "The
    Idiot" Wallace.

Someone said Bernie Sanders was Elizabeth Warren in heels. Funny.

BTW: I always tune in your show, I sometimes tune out your show towards the end.
    The political & theological commentary and topics are very good, but some of the humor isn't funny, and some of the entertainers aren't always entertaining.

you can't make all the people happy all of the time. God Bless you, God Bless America & Keep up the good work.

• Yolanda Y. Ortiz

11/18/2019 10:49 AM

We must continue to PRAY that what’s been done in secret, will be EXPOSED and to plead the blood of Jesus over our beloved President.

Life Liberty & Levin

• Bob V

11/18/2019 12:42 PM

• Jerry Korba

11/18/2019 12:31 PM

• Robert Driskell

11/18/2019 12:16 PM

• JC Holland

11/18/2019 12:14 PM

This will be a fight all the way up to November 2020. Take nothing for granted.

• Carol Silicz

11/18/2019 12:13 PM

• Harold Levi

11/18/2019 12:12 PM

• Anne

11/18/2019 12:11 PM

• David Arthur Kosinski

11/18/2019 12:09 PM

Our prayer is that "truth will prevail!"

• Thomas H. Nienburg Sr.

11/18/2019 11:55 AM

Respectfully,
    Thomas H Nienburg Sr

• Connie Hunter

11/18/2019 11:45 AM

• Mike Smith

11/18/2019 11:38 AM

Hi Governor,

Something to think about.

• Joe Broadway

11/18/2019 11:37 AM

• Wilma Ann White

11/18/2019 11:37 AM

• Douglas George Darchuk

11/18/2019 11:36 AM

• Doug Johnson

11/18/2019 11:31 AM

• Robbie Mize

11/18/2019 11:29 AM

• James W DeCoursin

11/18/2019 11:19 AM

Keep it up! Mike. You are on target.

Jim DeCoursin

• Jill Butler

11/18/2019 11:13 AM

• Thomas Rundall

11/18/2019 11:12 AM

• Sharon Smith

11/18/2019 11:02 AM

• Timothy W. O'Leary

11/18/2019 10:49 AM

Idiot" Wallace.

Someone said Bernie Sanders was Elizabeth Warren in heels. Funny.

• Yolanda Y. Ortiz

11/18/2019 10:49 AM

Life Liberty & Levin

• Bob V

11/18/2019 12:42 PM

• Jerry Korba

11/18/2019 12:31 PM

• Robert Driskell

11/18/2019 12:16 PM

• JC Holland

11/18/2019 12:14 PM

This will be a fight all the way up to November 2020. Take nothing for granted.

• Carol Silicz

11/18/2019 12:13 PM

• Harold Levi

11/18/2019 12:12 PM

• Anne

11/18/2019 12:11 PM

• David Arthur Kosinski

11/18/2019 12:09 PM

Our prayer is that "truth will prevail!"

• Thomas H. Nienburg Sr.

11/18/2019 11:55 AM

Respectfully,
    Thomas H Nienburg Sr

• Connie Hunter

11/18/2019 11:45 AM

• Mike Smith

11/18/2019 11:38 AM

Hi Governor,

Something to think about.

• Joe Broadway

11/18/2019 11:37 AM

• Wilma Ann White

11/18/2019 11:37 AM

• Douglas George Darchuk

11/18/2019 11:36 AM

• Doug Johnson

11/18/2019 11:31 AM

• Robbie Mize

11/18/2019 11:29 AM

• James W DeCoursin

11/18/2019 11:19 AM

Keep it up! Mike. You are on target.

Jim DeCoursin

• Jill Butler

11/18/2019 11:13 AM

• Thomas Rundall

11/18/2019 11:12 AM

• Sharon Smith

11/18/2019 11:02 AM

• Timothy W. O'Leary

11/18/2019 10:49 AM

Idiot" Wallace.

Someone said Bernie Sanders was Elizabeth Warren in heels. Funny.

• Yolanda Y. Ortiz