Cowboys stun fans and me

September 26, 2017

Sadly, I spoke too soon yesterday in praising my favorite NFL team, the Dallas Cowboys, for not joining in the literal kneejerk protest of President Trump’s criticism of players for kneeling during the National Anthem. Before last night’s game against the Arizona Cardinals, owner Jerry Jones linked arms with the entire team as they “took a knee.” Jones had previously made it clear that he found it “really disappointing” when players disrespect the flag and Anthem, and he kept politics off the field. Well, he allowed them on last night, and I hope the boos of Cowboys fans let him know what they thought about it.

Jones tried to draw a line between what the Cowboys did and other protesters-in-cleats (noting that they kneeled before the Anthem, not during). He said this was a “show of unity,” but unity with what? With people who do kneel during the National Anthem, as a symbol of how they think the police are racist killers? (Let’s not ever forget that what started this whole practice was one whiny quarterback who hates cops and depicts them as pigs.)

Does Mr. Jones recall that five Dallas police officers were gunned down while heroically protecting the lives of Black Lives Matter supporters who were protesting them? How about showing solidarity with the Dallas Police by not joining in these protests? Or does he feel a greater need to show solidarity with an NFL commissioner who defends anti-police protests as free speech, yet banned the Cowboys from wearing decals on their helmets honoring those fallen Dallas officers? Hats off to the Arizona Cardinals for refusing to literally bend their knees to the gods of political correctness. Instead, they showed “solidarity” with football fans, who are fed up with having leftist politics infesting and ruining every once-non-partisan common area of American life.

If you want to protest police, then picket the police station. If you want to protest Trump, picket the White House. But why desecrate the honor of the flag and National Anthem with leftwing symbolism that is based on hating America? (And indulging in the same ritual, only slightly before the Anthem starts playing, is just weaselly hair-splitting.)

Apparently, the only way to make it clear to the players and team owners that fans are sick of this political grandstanding is to hit them in their pocketbooks. I hope Dallas fans who buy tickets and merchandise and who paid for the Cowboys’ otherworldly stadium with their taxes and who are upset about Jones’ about-face make their outrage known loud and clear. You can’t be America’s team if you’re going to “express solidarity” with people who go out of their way to show disrespect for America.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Amy Burris

09/26/2017 06:05 PM

People, especially Liberals, continue to amaze me how much they DO NOT THINK. If taking a knee is ok and is a right, then why do we bother teaching schoolchildren about our country and our history? Why do we bother teaching our children the lyrics to the national anthem? Why do we bother teaching them to respect the flag and the anthem? Why do we bother teaching them to love this "Land That We Love?" Why do we bother at all??? Do they hate America that much? Why do they stay? Oh yeah, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. NOWHERE ELSE CAN THEY HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY TO EARN THAT MUCH EXCEPT THIS COUNTRY AND BY ITS PEOPLE.

• Carolyn J Blue

09/26/2017 06:03 PM

Govenor the following statement is one I posted on Facebook after seeing the beginning of the Cowboys game last night:

"Disappointed in the Cowboys. They took a knee no matter what. Which put them in lock step, for me, with the other teams. Jerry Jones said they wouldn't take a knee during the National Anthem but locked arms instead. No hands over their hearts........ sorry but I think I'll take a knee on this in protest of the NFL and not watch football until they all come to their senses".

My last hope is the Texans. They all stood for their last game. Let's see what they do next game. If they are caught up in this "taking a knee" I am totally done with the NFL and any other sport that follows suit.

• Brian Jacobs

09/26/2017 05:56 PM

Last season my family quit watching the NFL. To show how far the stupidity and political correctness has infiltrate sports on the ESPN Dan LeBatard show I actually heard him say in support of Colin Kapernick, that he was tired of people complaining because what did the flag have to do with the military anyways??? WHAT DID HE SAY!!!
    Hey Dan, does Francis Scott Key ring a bell.... No Well how about Fort Mc Henry.. ? No again.
    Another shining example of our education system and lack of patriotism.
    I quit watching ESPN too.

• Melinda Dillon

09/26/2017 05:54 PM

This country will never be "United" again. Time to split it in two. Put the democrats and their followers; the police haters, criminals, thugs, perverts and welfare cheats on one end. Put conservatives; the hard workers, Christians, people who don't break the law, republicans and patriotic people on the other end. May the best society win. Wouldn't you just love to sit back and watch the results?

• Susan Fox

09/26/2017 05:52 PM

Thank you so much, Governor. I'd thought that as long as they then got up and stood for the Anthem, that maybe I could overlook the other. But YOU ARE SO RIGHT! You just can NOT compromise with the enemies of America or any other kind of evil.

• Martha Legg

09/26/2017 05:52 PM

It seems anything the left - democrats get involved with takes it downhill! Thank you President Trump for bringing this issue to the nation's attention! Vote every democrat out to save America and drain the swamp!

• Rachelle Cox

09/26/2017 05:49 PM

You are absolutely right! These team owners are going to get a severe sting from the hornet's nest they have allowed to fester in their own ranks. The American people will put up with a lot--but NOT disrespect for the country or the men and women who have died protecting it. When the money stops flowing, their attitudes will change. Unfortunately, for most of us, they have already shown how they really feel, so it it will be too late. From now on, I will WATCH COLLEGE football!

• Charles A. Hamill

09/26/2017 05:49 PM

It is not my intention, Sir, to bitch you out or those that think different than me; However, Mr. Huckabee, I watched the Dallas - Arizona game from before the start of the game. Sir, I have great respect for you and most all of the citizens of the USA, our beautiful FLAG, our NATIONAL ANTHEM & the MEN and WOMEN in our ARMED SERViCES. But, I also have love and respect for " GOD " and our " LORD and SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST " ; I've got to tell it the way that I see it, I didn't see a football team (Dallas Cowboys) take knee together to protest. I saw a team take a knee, bow their heads and pray; just as I did when I saw them kneel. Then, I stood and put my right hand over my heart for the" NATIONAL ANTHEM " ; and I saw the " COWBOYS " lock arm's as a United team, to show their respect for our " FLAG & the NATIONAL ANTHEM "... SIR, I would rather leave out all the " PCBS " and the division that " Obama " has created and is still creating. Because, I believe in my " COUNTRY and COWBOYS "... & Also " JERRY JONES and my PRESIDENT - DONALD J. TRUMP " ... I pray for less division and PC rhetoric.

• RAYMOND BARRON

09/26/2017 05:47 PM

Last night I deleted the recordings of NFL football and will no longer record any of the future games until the NFL joins the true patriots (Not New England patriots). THEY are truly Pinheads and Bill O'Reilly put it.

• Heather A

09/26/2017 05:45 PM

NFL, I"m no longer a fan!! I will only be watching college football "Roll TIde".

• Rodney A Kohlin

09/26/2017 05:44 PM

Sadly Governor, I must agree with you. Mr Jones appeared to be willing to take a stand, but in spite of all his initial blustering, his lack of backbone is showing as he is now trying to play both ends against the middle. I'm afraid all of this is turning into a situation of "if you are not for me, you are against me" on both sides. Mr Jones has shown he is not "for" the average American.

• Mike Smith

09/26/2017 05:43 PM

maybe it's about time the NFL lost the monopoly protection it has been abusing. It should have been provided with strings attached, if it wasn't.

• George Hiscox

09/26/2017 05:41 PM

Perhaps you recall a 1976 incident involving a couple of flag burners in the outfield of Dodger Stadium. Even if you didn't watch the game, it was all over the news at the time.

On 25 April 1976, Rick Monday was playing CF for the Cubs in a game at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. At the end of the 4th inning, two protesters ran out into LF where they saturated an American flag with lighter fluid and attempted to light it. Monday swooped in on them while their backs were turned and ran off the field, handing off the flag to Dodger pitcher Doug Rau who came out of the Dodger dugout to meet him.

Meanwhile, the crowd in Dodger Stadium spontaneously started singing God Bless America. When Monday came up to bat in the 5th inning, the crowd gave him a standing ovation and cheered.

The next year, Monday was picked up by the Dodgers and played in Los Angeles for eight years, later becoming a radio broadcaster for the Dodger organization.

Professional athletes were a different breed back who respected God and Country... and the fans.

You can find video of the incident on Youtube, should you have an interest.

• Cassandra Stepanovich

09/26/2017 05:41 PM

So very well stated Mike, there is a time and place for their peaceful protest and we the paying public should not have their beliefs thrust upon us... we can't do it to them... so why bring politics to the field in the first place. I don't live in the local area of my team.... so I seldom get the game on tv. In fact last weekend was first so far this season, but the game was not on in this house, in fact no games from the NFL were on at all. Maybe now after all the public / social media with disappointed fans , ALL TEAMS will come out this coming weekend and all carry flags to show that they now understand what the true meaning of the flag means and that they, from now on will keep politics off the field, and if they want to protest or make a change they will find a better forum for their causes.

• Sue Bearden

09/26/2017 05:39 PM

Actually, I can live with the compromise from the Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones. I could not have lived with the fact that they did not stand up during the National Anthem! It's time to focus on North Korea!!!

• Kay McCoin

09/26/2017 05:38 PM

I agree. I hope the NFL gets hit hard financially. I said to myself Sunday how proud I was that my team the Titans weren't disrespecting America. I too had to eat my words. I'm done. If you don't love America go somewhere else that will afford you the opportunity to fulfill your dreams and provide for your families very well. Oh yeah there isn't anywhere.

• Joy Bonde

09/26/2017 05:37 PM

My family enjoys watching football, but we're happy to watch ANYTHING else. I hope the many, many patriotic Americans in this country will do the same. I wonder if they'll get the message? Maybe they'll blame it on the Russians.

• joe gerron

09/26/2017 05:37 PM

You are spot on Mike. I am (was) a life long fan of "Americas Team", will now call it "Jerry's Joke". The fans now have the onus to display Solidarity and hit them in the pocketbook.

• Teresa Voegele

09/26/2017 05:35 PM

Football has become idolatry, a violation of the First Commandment. People spend more time on football than they spend on God. They are more enthusiastic about football than about The Lord their God. Repent of this and return to your first love!

• Sharon Donathan

09/26/2017 05:34 PM

Aren't they supposed to be held accountable, in some way, through the contract they signed? Fined, to sit out?? Looks like they, like a lot of people, want their ten (10) minutes of fame--no matter how wrong it is!!!

• Danna Shirley

09/26/2017 05:33 PM

Football--I can take it or leave it. I would hope that all the fans would just stand up and walk out to show THEIR protest of the player's protest. PC is so out of control. My husband served twelve years in the Navy and then worked on Navy contracts for our weapons defense system for twenty-six years. His commitment was to our country, not to the almighty dollar of the NFL.

• L. Nowak

09/26/2017 05:31 PM

Well said MrGoverner.

• Doris McRimmon

09/26/2017 05:31 PM

What truly saddened me, aside from the kneel, was him trying to pass it off as a prayer. If that is truly the way he prays....(smiling at the camera). Then, the linking of arms. Apparently nobody understands honor and respect anymore. In a perfect world, the stadiums would be empty and tvs would be off on Sunday.

• Keith Hamilton

09/26/2017 05:30 PM

Hi, Governor!

I am encouraged by your follow-up statement. Unfortunately, Jerry Jones thinks he can appease both camps - his players and his fans. I am hopeful the fans will see through his scam and will join the boycott.

As for me, the last NFL game I saw was when the whiny 49'er quarterback took a knee. I am through with the NFL.

Sincere Regards,

Keith Hamilton
    Pooler, GA

• Paul Boucher

09/26/2017 05:30 PM

Not a Cowboys fan, but expected better from them after Jerry Jones' comments in the past. I realize they didn't disrespect the country, flag, or anthem by kneeling before...but you're correct when you question who they are "showing solidarity" with. This whole protest regime has morphed into another leftist attempt to criticize our President in a truly distasteful way.

• Karen

09/26/2017 05:28 PM

I was disappointed to see the Cowboys kneel before the anthem and then stand. I agree with you. I felt like they caved. This Sunday you could tell that the kneeling is no longer really about the social injustice they feel has happened. In my opinion it was more about retaliation against President Trump and his tweet. For all of those that do legitimately feel something needs to be done just how does taking a knee fix it? It may bring awareness to what they feel is a problem but it does not fix anything. In my opinion it makes the patriotic fans pissed. I would rather see the players actually doing something hands on to fix this. Do they mentor youth? Do they have community meetings to bring the police and the youth together? Do they go on ride along with the police to see what they must tolerate every shift? Or once the season is over do they just disappear to their fancy vacation homes until they meet again. I for one hope that we middle american's really will band together and hit them all in their pocketbooks. Owners and players alike. Only bad thing is this will also hurt the little guy who try's to make a living working in or around the stadiums.

• Maureen King

09/26/2017 05:28 PM

I buy Cowboy fan gifts for my relatives that are Cowboy fans, however, if they choose to do their 'thing' by not honoring the American Flag, and what it represents regarding our fallen soldiers and servicemen and women who've fought long and hard for our freedoms that we're free to enjoy, then I'm done with the Cowboy fan gifts. It's a shame and a national disgrace to our country for Americans to behave this way by dishonoring our flag and the National Anthem.

• Judi Fey

09/26/2017 05:27 PM

Have not watched or attended NFL or NBA for over 20 years. Poor role models for kids, overpaid, sense of entitlement, selfish attitude, self-centered with overinflated egos, tickets are way too expensive for what you get, NFL should not be a "non-profit", and now putting politics on the playing field. They are just as bad as Hollywood, which we have also stopped supporting.

• John Stokes

09/26/2017 05:26 PM

These prima dona football players seem to forget that they are able to make millions of dollars only because our service men and women have fought and died defending the flag that they have no respect for. They are a shameful disgrace to our country. The do not deserve to live in America. Additionally, any American that supports any NFL team is disgraceful.

• Michelle Quinn

09/26/2017 05:25 PM

This is making me sick to my stomach!!! Men and women that have given their lives just for them to be on that field to be wayyyy over paid and they want to act like fools!!! Guess I will leave it at that...cant say all I would like to say!!! Just makes me sick and my tv will not be on one single game...FOX NEWS is enough for me!!! BTW...proud of the job your wonderful daughter is doing...AR PROUD OF HER!!!

• Donald Cinalli

09/26/2017 05:25 PM

Governor, I totally agree with your "revised" comments. I have also posted on Facebook re: the PC CS stunt that Jerry pulled on Sunday.

• Peggy Brown

09/26/2017 05:24 PM

Great article! I totally agree! I've been pushing the Cowboys bc of what He'd said a couple weeks ago. I guess his word doesn't mean any more to him than his country does!
    Wish you could mention to our awesome President, that we know he's growing in his new relationship with the Lord; but he really could stop and think a couple seconds before speaking and calling these guys SOBs on National TV. It really doesn't sound very Presidential, though I know it's tough when it's a habit he's had all his life! And may be true' ?? Have him read Romans 12:2!
    God bless you and all you do for our country!! ??????????

• Brad Farr

09/26/2017 05:23 PM

Kneeling during the anthem is an insult to me, to football fans, and to everybody who respects our flag and the nation for which it stands.

• Margarette Bailey

09/26/2017 05:22 PM

I would like to suggest that fans who are season ticket holders should use their tickets for each game this season; stand and salute the flag during the National Anthem, and then promptly leave the stadium after the playing of the Anthem. They can tear up their tickets as they exit the stadium and leave the pieces with the gate-tenders. Maybe a mass exodus of fans IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE PLAYING OF THE NATIONAL ANTHEM will get the attention of the coaches and players. I, too, was disappointed in the Cowboys (the favorite team of my household for over 40 years).

• Jessica Osborn

09/26/2017 05:22 PM

My husband watched the beginning of the game. What I did notice: when the National Anthem began, the cameras zoomed out on the Arizona Cardinals, showing them from the knees up. Very obvious thay were standing. The cameras zoomed in on the Dallas Cowgirls, only showing them from the shoulders up. Thay CAN NOT prove to me that they were standing. This cuts me to the core. I am a woman U.S. Air Force veteran. Mother of a veteran, daughter of a veteran, sister of a veteran, have uncle's and cousins who are also veteran s. My son is one of the 22 a day; tragically, he died by suicide, nearly six years ago.

• Brad Farr

09/26/2017 05:21 PM

• Laura Jacobs

09/26/2017 05:21 PM

I don't need football to survive. Do they need fans? I liked Jerry Jones when he had kahunas, not so much now.

• Laura Jacobs

09/26/2017 05:20 PM

I don't need football to survive. Do they need fans?

• Larry Harris

09/26/2017 05:18 PM

Like Gov. Huckabee , I had much respect for Jerry Jones from what I had seen on Facebook about him speaking out against his players kneeling. I GUESS I was wrong from the display last evening, or it would not be the first time Facebook info was wrong. Whichever way it was still disappoints me as a VETERAN of VietNam that someone disrespects our service to our country by disrespecting our TRUE Symbol of Togetherness of standing at attention for the anthem of Star Spangled Banner and our symbol of FREEDOM Old Glory that symbolizes unity with 50 Stars. I am sorry to say this assinine display of disrespect reminds me of my return from VietNam in 1969. I start to get the same feelings that I have battled to overcome since learning of PTSD and it's affects on the body and mind. I hate to think those same feelings have been rekindled by this disrespect of the symbol of FREEDOM.The feeling of waiting for years for America to say Thank You for serving has surfaced again just when it had been tamped down by the respect given to the returning Service Men & Women who have been fighting terrorist. America finally remembered the VietNam Vet. Today almost Half of America seems to have forgotten America's esteem, honor, traditions, respect and reverence deserve and should be HONORED & RESPECTED by ALL Americans. Protest for your cause if you want, but do it some other way than disrespecting Our Anthem, Flag, Service Men & Women, and especially those who gave their EVERYTHING and came home with our FLAG covering their coffins. God Bless America and our President and leaders of our country to make the right decisions and Praise those who serve to Protect America and our way of life.

• Laura Morton

09/26/2017 05:17 PM

I agree, I was very disappointed to hear how the Cowboys behaved. Unity for the many benefits they've received as Americans, being well-payed to play a game? Unity for the diversity in the team members playing together as one toward a common goal? I don't think they even know what is being protested any more. I no longer even follow the scores.

• Sergio Solis

09/26/2017 05:13 PM

I agree with Mike. I am not happy with the Cowboys, they are dropped as Americas team in my book. I am burning all of my cowboys memorabilia.

• Ginger Whitley

09/26/2017 05:09 PM

Keep defending America if you don't we are in trouble. You are our only hope.

• Rick Hyde

09/26/2017 05:07 PM

I agree, Governor. Well said.

• Ellen Gibbs

09/26/2017 05:06 PM

I agree 100%. Very sad.

• Gail Mayer

09/26/2017 04:59 PM

We like football but are saddened with what is going on - such disrespect for a great country that we live in. We have a son in the military and will not be watching football - we can do without it.

• Brett Saurage

09/26/2017 04:58 PM

I am TRULY disappointed with ALL of the NFL teams that choose to disrespect the American Flag and all the service men and women along with their families who have given everything for this once great country. If they want to protest the police GO PROTEST AT THE POLICE STATION. If they want to protest President Trump GO TO THE WHITE HOUSE AND PROTEST! Disrespecting the American Flag is disrespecting the American people and our country. My family and I will not watch the NFL anymore.

• Meredith Purmort

09/26/2017 04:57 PM

Mike Huckabee is so right about his comments on the NFL protest. I agree. Football field is no place for this ridiculous protest. Everyone that loves football just wants to watch the game and cheer their favorite team on. Right now i do not have a favorite team. Totally disgusted with all of them as most of my friends are.

• Nick Parvesse

09/26/2017 04:56 PM

I'm with you 100%! Couldn't have said it better myself. Cowboys fan since '69 turned the game right off last night. I'm done.

• Gretchen Gallo

09/26/2017 04:56 PM

I so agree with you, Mike! It's totally hair-splitting! Jerry is trying to have his cake and eat it, too! I am so sick of all this nonsense which includes removing Confederate statues!

• gail mayer

09/26/2017 04:55 PM

We have a son in the military and it saddens me to see this happening. We are so blessed as a nation and then to do this. I like foot ball but I will not be watching it now-I can do without it.

Cowboys stun fans and me

September 26, 2017

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Amy Burris

09/26/2017 06:05 PM

• Carolyn J Blue

09/26/2017 06:03 PM

• Brian Jacobs

09/26/2017 05:56 PM

Another shining example of our education system and lack of patriotism.
    I quit watching ESPN too.

• Melinda Dillon

• Rodney A Kohlin

09/26/2017 05:44 PM

• Mike Smith

09/26/2017 05:43 PM

• George Hiscox

09/26/2017 05:41 PM

You can find video of the incident on Youtube, should you have an interest.

• Cassandra Stepanovich

• Michelle Quinn

09/26/2017 05:25 PM

• Donald Cinalli

09/26/2017 05:25 PM

• Peggy Brown

09/26/2017 05:24 PM

God bless you and all you do for our country!! ??????????

• Brad Farr

09/26/2017 05:23 PM

• Margarette Bailey

09/26/2017 05:22 PM

• Jessica Osborn

09/26/2017 05:22 PM

• Brad Farr

09/26/2017 05:21 PM

• Laura Jacobs

09/26/2017 05:21 PM

• Laura Jacobs

09/26/2017 05:20 PM

I don't need football to survive. Do they need fans?

• Larry Harris

09/26/2017 05:18 PM

• Laura Morton

09/26/2017 05:17 PM

• Sergio Solis

09/26/2017 05:13 PM

• Ginger Whitley

09/26/2017 05:09 PM

Keep defending America if you don't we are in trouble. You are our only hope.

• Rick Hyde

09/26/2017 05:07 PM

I agree, Governor. Well said.

• Ellen Gibbs

• Gretchen Gallo

09/26/2017 04:56 PM

• gail mayer

09/26/2017 04:55 PM

Cowboys stun fans and me

September 26, 2017

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Amy Burris

09/26/2017 06:05 PM

• Carolyn J Blue

09/26/2017 06:03 PM

• Brian Jacobs

09/26/2017 05:56 PM

Another shining example of our education system and lack of patriotism.
    I quit watching ESPN too.

• Melinda Dillon

• Rodney A Kohlin

09/26/2017 05:44 PM

• Mike Smith

09/26/2017 05:43 PM

• George Hiscox

09/26/2017 05:41 PM

You can find video of the incident on Youtube, should you have an interest.

• Cassandra Stepanovich

• Michelle Quinn

09/26/2017 05:25 PM

• Donald Cinalli

09/26/2017 05:25 PM

• Peggy Brown

09/26/2017 05:24 PM

God bless you and all you do for our country!! ??????????

• Brad Farr

09/26/2017 05:23 PM

• Margarette Bailey

09/26/2017 05:22 PM

• Jessica Osborn

09/26/2017 05:22 PM

• Brad Farr

09/26/2017 05:21 PM

• Laura Jacobs

09/26/2017 05:21 PM

• Laura Jacobs

09/26/2017 05:20 PM

I don't need football to survive. Do they need fans?

• Larry Harris

09/26/2017 05:18 PM

• Laura Morton

09/26/2017 05:17 PM

• Sergio Solis

09/26/2017 05:13 PM

• Ginger Whitley

09/26/2017 05:09 PM

Keep defending America if you don't we are in trouble. You are our only hope.

• Rick Hyde

09/26/2017 05:07 PM

I agree, Governor. Well said.

• Ellen Gibbs