Cowboys stun fans and me

September 26, 2017 |

Sadly, I spoke too soon yesterday in praising my favorite NFL team, the Dallas Cowboys, for not joining in the literal kneejerk protest of President Trump’s criticism of players for kneeling during the National Anthem. Before last night’s game against the Arizona Cardinals, owner Jerry Jones linked arms with the entire team as they “took a knee.” Jones had previously made it clear that he found it “really disappointing” when players disrespect the flag and Anthem, and he kept politics off the field. Well, he allowed them on last night, and I hope the boos of Cowboys fans let him know what they thought about it.

Jones tried to draw a line between what the Cowboys did and other protesters-in-cleats (noting that they kneeled before the Anthem, not during). He said this was a “show of unity,” but unity with what? With people who do kneel during the National Anthem, as a symbol of how they think the police are racist killers? (Let’s not ever forget that what started this whole practice was one whiny quarterback who hates cops and depicts them as pigs.)

Does Mr. Jones recall that five Dallas police officers were gunned down while heroically protecting the lives of Black Lives Matter supporters who were protesting them? How about showing solidarity with the Dallas Police by not joining in these protests? Or does he feel a greater need to show solidarity with an NFL commissioner who defends anti-police protests as free speech, yet banned the Cowboys from wearing decals on their helmets honoring those fallen Dallas officers? Hats off to the Arizona Cardinals for refusing to literally bend their knees to the gods of political correctness. Instead, they showed “solidarity” with football fans, who are fed up with having leftist politics infesting and ruining every once-non-partisan common area of American life.

If you want to protest police, then picket the police station. If you want to protest Trump, picket the White House. But why desecrate the honor of the flag and National Anthem with leftwing symbolism that is based on hating America? (And indulging in the same ritual, only slightly before the Anthem starts playing, is just weaselly hair-splitting.)

Apparently, the only way to make it clear to the players and team owners that fans are sick of this political grandstanding is to hit them in their pocketbooks. I hope Dallas fans who buy tickets and merchandise and who paid for the Cowboys’ otherworldly stadium with their taxes and who are upset about Jones’ about-face make their outrage known loud and clear. You can’t be America’s team if you’re going to “express solidarity” with people who go out of their way to show disrespect for America.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Patricia Hook

09/26/2017 04:55 PM

Mr.Huckabee I admire both you and your daughter. Please continue to stand for what is right. I have never cared for Jerry Jones for whatever reason but my mind changed when he stood up for what was right! But my first opinion was correct. He along with several coaches and owners are liars.

• Barbara Lee Bush

09/26/2017 04:54 PM

Dropping football off my DirecTV account. Not going to pay for something no longer worth watching.

• Chace L McKamie

09/26/2017 04:53 PM

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one Mr. Huckabee. I've talked with many cowboy fans from right here in Hope, AR and we think the Cowboys represented what so many of us veterans have fought for. They didn't disrespect The Flag or National Anthem. They were booed when they first took a knee because, in my opinion, everyone thought they would stay kneeled. Their message was made clear and us veterans were not disrespected.

• Glenna Dyer

09/26/2017 04:48 PM

I live in the metroplex and iI am. Cowboy fan, but I agree with you completely! I am sick and tired of all the hatred and disrespect in our nation. I didn’t watch the Cowboys last night, in fact I will watch no more N F L games this year. I am praying for revival. Jesus is the only answer for our nation and, in fact, the world. Thank-you for keeping us informed. I no longer watch the news either. God bless you.

• Brenda Womble

09/26/2017 04:36 PM

God bless you, Sarah and your family. And thank you for your service to this country as a Christian politician and commentator. I love reading your articles because it hits the mark where my thoughts and ideas stand.

• Sandy Sullins

09/26/2017 04:30 PM

I was disappointed also. I just told someone at least we can watch the Cowboys as Jerry Jones said he would not tolerate kneeling, boy did he do a 180. Choosing NFL or patriotism- real easy... I choose patriotism and those that have protected my life and freedoms any day over a bunch of over paid men trying to protect a football.

• Laureen Hurley

09/26/2017 04:27 PM

I am so disgusted in this insanity of the NFL!! I think America is going down the toilet!! It's heartbreaking watching the disrespect of our country, flag and for every man and women who have fought and died so we are free!! Praying for America

• Rebecca Collins

09/26/2017 04:21 PM

My family has two brave young men who are career military and have risked their lives all over this world in the name of the USA. We love football but will not buy any more team tickets, shirts, chairs, etc. We have spent thousands on such things. My family will not participate in this kind of disrespectful behavior by millionaires who forget the source of your money. Your well may very well go dry guys! So go demonstrate as my son and nephew have fought for that right for you. But stand and salute the flag and anthem and play football leaving your politics outside where people did not or maybe next time will not give $200 to watch.
    Signed disgusted fan, but patriotic American

• Carroll D. Brown

09/26/2017 04:17 PM

I agree with President Trump. I don't understand how an exceedingly highly paid football player living in the only land where he could be paid that much for playing a game, loses sight of that fact and disrespects the flag and national anthem of that country. If football players wanted to protest something of value, they should protest the Senators on both sides of the aisle who are dragging their feet in passing a Health Care Bill.

• Jeanette Bowers

09/26/2017 04:13 PM

Terri Hendrix, I agree 1000%. I'm tired of the ramble rousing by these morons and I absolutely will not support any team, any actor, any politician, any cause, any anything that is going to blatantly disrespect the men and women who have served this country, died for this flag, and preserved the freedom that these morons abuse daily. THEY are creating the divide, THEY are furthering the argument, THEY are feeding the frenzy, and I'm not gonna play anymore. Sit down, shut up, and learn some respect, or we're going to reach into your pockets and show you what true patriotism is all about. We will support those who support our country, not those who divide and tear it apart. AND FYI, we support our President because that's what true patriots do!

• Ruth E Torrey

09/26/2017 04:13 PM

I am stunned as well. Since I don't watch football, I wasn't aware of Mr. Jones' about face. I thought people were mad at the Cowboys because they weren't allowed to honor the fallen policemen.
    (P.S. Loved getting to hear you at the Burgundy Ball!)

• Elaine Kuebler

09/26/2017 04:12 PM

You are 100% on point Mike - as usual!!! It's crazy that the same guy who is against significant displays of emotion in the end zone AND the wearing of those decals is OK with all this grandstanding ridiculousness! I've been a football fan since I could understand the game, almost 55 years (especially the Browns) and I am now not watching any of it! Feed up with these prima donnas. . .you're right, if you want to see change, be the change in a constructive way NOT by dissing our anthem and flag. Oh and the NBA is the next group I WON'T be watching, LEBRON!!!

• Elaine Kuebler

09/26/2017 04:12 PM

• Glenn Weweks

09/26/2017 04:09 PM

I'm so fed up with political correctness that I could just PUKE! Please EVERYBODY American, just hit them ALL in their pocket books and show them that they just lost their ability to make 20, 30, 40, 50, Million bucks a year, and treat 'freedom' this 'CRAP in YOUR FACE' way. I'll never watch another game ever, THEY are broken, Kaput, Finito, Nada, Nyet, Kiss my Grits Ya'll, BYE!!!!

• Bob Hemperley

09/26/2017 04:04 PM

Pro football long ago ceased being a sport. It is nothing more than another excuse for political pandering. Just because a guy is a great athlete does not make him a political pundit. Protest to your heart's desire but not while I am a viewer. I watch pro football but it has gotten to the point that it reminds me of pro wrestling. While i"m ranting, I'm also sick of the announcing as well. Just tell me what is happening,,,I don't care a whit about statistics..just call the game!

• Karen Dye

09/26/2017 03:55 PM

I was so disappointed when I saw the Cowboys taking a knee last night. I will not be watching any football this year and the Cowboys need to remove the slogan America's team. They can no longer call themselves America's team.

• Terri Hendrix

09/26/2017 01:13 PM

My family can live without watching football! I hope other Americans feel this way because we have family who have died serving this great country. Where is Respect? I suppose it died along with Common Sense!

Cowboys stun fans and me

September 26, 2017 |

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Patricia Hook

• Carroll D. Brown

09/26/2017 04:17 PM

• Jeanette Bowers

09/26/2017 04:13 PM

• Ruth E Torrey

09/26/2017 04:13 PM

(P.S. Loved getting to hear you at the Burgundy Ball!)

• Elaine Kuebler

09/26/2017 04:12 PM

• Elaine Kuebler

09/26/2017 04:12 PM

• Glenn Weweks

09/26/2017 04:09 PM

• Bob Hemperley

09/26/2017 04:04 PM

• Karen Dye

09/26/2017 03:55 PM

• Terri Hendrix

09/26/2017 01:13 PM

Cowboys stun fans and me

September 26, 2017 |

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Patricia Hook

• Carroll D. Brown

09/26/2017 04:17 PM

• Jeanette Bowers

09/26/2017 04:13 PM

• Ruth E Torrey

09/26/2017 04:13 PM

(P.S. Loved getting to hear you at the Burgundy Ball!)

• Elaine Kuebler