The John McCain story

May 17, 2018 |

A story appeared a few days ago that I deliberately avoided talking about in hopes that the people trying to turn it into a big deal would start to feel ashamed of themselves and reel it in. Instead, it’s just gone on and on, and gotten louder and louder. I feel I have to talk about it, but I’m going to do so by saying as little about the details as possible.

The story involves a little-known Trump White House staffer who, according to a leak, made a callous remark during a private meeting about Sen. John McCain, who is suffering from last-stage brain cancer. I won’t quote it, but she allegedly implied that his opposition would not be a factor because he will not live much longer. I don’t know if she actually said that, or the tone of her comment (was it mocking or disrespectful or simply coldly pragmatic?) But it sparked the usual howls of outrage and demands from the left that she be fired for slandering an American hero.

That prompted conservative news outlets to start digging into the records and finding far worse, unfair things that had been said about McCain by the left, including some of the very same people feigning outrage on McCain's behalf now. As an example, here’s a link to a story about comments made about McCain by Al Franken before he became a Senator. I could link to a lot more, but one should be more than enough.

This story turned into a full-blown media frenzy that’s still consuming airtime days later. Yet, nobody is saying what really needs to be said about it. So here goes:

Why did anything need to be said about this at all? Did any of the people who claim to be offended on behalf of Sen. McCain and his family ever consider that they were making it 1,000 times worse by giving it so much attention? Even if the leak turns out to be true, it was an unfortunate comment in a private meeting by a lower-level staffer. That is not news. The proper response wasn’t a media frenzy. It should have been a quiet reprimand and a reminder that some things, like showing compassion for a fellow human being suffering with a terminal illness and his family members, are more important than political gamesmanship.

All the fuss over it was stunningly hypocritical: people who claimed to be outraged that someone would say something hurtful about McCain in private amplified it into a 24/7 news story guaranteed to be seen by him and his family. They feign being offended that anyone would place politics over showing respect for Sen. McCain, yet they will gladly shine a spotlight on insults to McCain if it can inflict political damage on the Trump Administration.

Are there no news editors left who have a iota of taste, class, empathy or just common decency; who can look at a story like that and say, “A dumb private remark by an unknown underling is not newsworthy, plus publicizing it would cause pain and disrespect for a terminally-ill American hero. We have higher standards than that. Go find some real news to report.”

Maybe it’s the age we live in, when the Internet has given everyone a soap box to say whatever they want, but many people, from that White House staffer to her gleeful critics in the media, seem to have forgotten a very important lesson:

Just because the First Amendment gives you the right to say any stupid thing that pops into your head, that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to say it.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

OR IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO SEND ME A MESSAGE, GO HERE.

• Dina Burdeshaw

05/17/2018 12:36 PM

I honestly do not think him a hero even though he was indeed a prisoner of war. He has disgraced the US by his actions with the plane crash on the carrier and other things that have been published (some could be fake news). He is not in my opinion taking his job seriously at this point. He should resign and give someone a chance to go to Congress that will work for the people. He is not physically able to perform the job any more.

• David Whetsell

05/17/2018 12:34 PM

I am a 73 year old vet. If McCain is a hero then every IDIOT in the world is one. Most of his life is hidden and sealed by the crooked government. If you look in all the hard places you will be awaken. NUF SAID

• Darren Walsh

05/17/2018 12:32 PM

I used to have a lot of respect for John McCain. I voted for him in 2008, bought his book, and thought he was a great guy. All of his petty revenge acts against Trump, that hurt our entire country, was a sad, frankly pathetic, end to what would have been an honorable and respectable career in U.S. Politics. I’m sorry, I just can’t feel bad for a man who put his own need for revenge ahead of his Country!

• Diana Kilgore

05/17/2018 12:32 PM

Exactly. It was a comment which was done in a private meeting. The person reportedly apologized privately. End of story. The hypocrisy of the left is beyond reason. If those who criticize now would have voted for McCain for President, our nation would have been spared much.

• Jay Stewart

05/17/2018 12:31 PM

Amen! and Amen!..... did I say Amen!

• Donna Bailey

05/17/2018 12:30 PM

Dear Governor,
    I totally agree with you. This is not a big news story and most definitely something that shouldn't have been brought forth in any media outlet. The comment was something that was inappropriate, however it was said within closed doors and the person that leaked it is the one who should be fired. I respect Sen. McCain, I voted for him and I'm sorry that he is suffering from this horrible disease. That being said, I wish he would retire and live his last time with his family and leave his politics to those that are left behind. If he were my dad I would want to spend every second that I could with him letting him know how much he is loved, not worry about this silliness we call government. He has lived such a great life and been an inspiration to many and I would want him remembered in that way.
    I so enjoy following you and reading your books, you too are an awesome man and great role model God Bless!

• Peggy Kee

05/17/2018 12:27 PM

Very well said, Governor Huckabee. I agree with you 100%. I am totally appalled by the amount of bias and lack of objectivity and decency in the media.

• Cathy McGuire

05/17/2018 12:27 PM

Exactly right. I get so sick of today's "news."

• Arlene Kovash

05/17/2018 12:24 PM

But it was okay to say awful things about Ivanka, including having it on the cover of a magazine? Did anyone get fired over that one?

• JanC

05/17/2018 12:22 PM

So true...so tired of the feigned outrage...

• Vickie Fiorentino

05/17/2018 12:21 PM

The left will never acknowledge or apologize for their remarks. I know, that in fact, I have thought the same thing as this white house staffer due to the fact that McCain has been a pain for republicans. They should not have made a big deal about it; I am not the only one who has had this thought, but the staffer said it out loud. I guess we are a basket of undesirables! I do not care about the health concerns of a someone making decisions for the country as they have the best available care...If they are not within their capacity, they should step down...the county still doesn't care that I cannot afford health care and now it is cutting off vital programs for Veterans, the Choice Program.

The John McCain story

May 17, 2018 |

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

OR IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO SEND ME A MESSAGE, GO HERE.

• Dina Burdeshaw

05/17/2018 12:36 PM

• David Whetsell

05/17/2018 12:34 PM

• Darren Walsh

05/17/2018 12:32 PM

• Diana Kilgore

05/17/2018 12:32 PM

• Jay Stewart

05/17/2018 12:31 PM

Amen! and Amen!..... did I say Amen!

• Donna Bailey

05/17/2018 12:30 PM

Dear Governor,

• Peggy Kee

05/17/2018 12:27 PM

• Cathy McGuire

05/17/2018 12:27 PM

Exactly right. I get so sick of today's "news."

• Arlene Kovash

05/17/2018 12:24 PM

• JanC

05/17/2018 12:22 PM

So true...so tired of the feigned outrage...

• Vickie Fiorentino

05/17/2018 12:21 PM

The John McCain story

May 17, 2018 |

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

OR IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO SEND ME A MESSAGE, GO HERE.

• Dina Burdeshaw

05/17/2018 12:36 PM

• David Whetsell

05/17/2018 12:34 PM

• Darren Walsh

05/17/2018 12:32 PM

• Diana Kilgore

05/17/2018 12:32 PM

• Jay Stewart

05/17/2018 12:31 PM

Amen! and Amen!..... did I say Amen!

• Donna Bailey

05/17/2018 12:30 PM

Dear Governor,

• Peggy Kee

05/17/2018 12:27 PM

• Cathy McGuire

05/17/2018 12:27 PM

Exactly right. I get so sick of today's "news."

• Arlene Kovash

05/17/2018 12:24 PM

• JanC

05/17/2018 12:22 PM

So true...so tired of the feigned outrage...

• Vickie Fiorentino