With no physical evidence or corroboration --- indeed, witnesses who contradict her story about their presence at a party at which she says she was assaulted --- Christine Blasey Ford’s case comes down to the truth of her recollections.  Not what she recalls, because she could be wrong, but the accuracy and specificity of those memories as they relate to Brett Kavanaugh.  Not “her” truth –- THE truth.  In the end, that is all that matters.  So let’s take a look at the science of memory.

Dr. Ford is a research psychologist and psychology professor, so it’s not surprising that she would have responded to questions about her memory in neuroscientific jargon.  When asked how she could be sure Kavanaugh was her attacker, this was her answer:  “Just basic memory functions.  And also, just the level of norepinephrine and epinephrine in the brain that sort of, you know, encodes –- that neurotransmitter encodes memories into the hippocampus.  And so the trauma-related experience is then sort of locked there.  Whereas other details kind of drift.”

She says that’s why she can’t remember key details such as the location, how she got there and how she got home.  But she rejected even the possibility of mistaken identity, saying she was 100 percent sure that her attacker was Kavanaugh.  Still, it’s crucial to note that just because a memory is “indelible in the hippocampus” doesn’t mean it’s of something that actually happened.  There are other ways it could have been planted there, whether it happened or not.

And the “drifty” parts don’t make sense.  A 15-year-old girl who doesn’t drive goes to a party seven miles or so from her house and is there with her close girlfriend.  How did they get there?  The girls may or may not have gotten there before the two boys but she knows the boys had been drinking before they got to the house.  How did she know that?  After the assault, and she leaves the house, does she realize her good friend is still there, left behind as the only girl in a houseful of drunken boys?  Wouldn’t that make this quite a memorable party for the other girl, who somehow had to fend off the drunken boys and get home?

And wouldn’t the other girl wonder what happened to her friend?  (After all, she wasn’t the one who was assaulted and would conceivably have had a clearer head.)  Wouldn’t she call Christine later that night or the next morning to ask, “Are you okay?  You just disappeared –- where did you go?”  And, of course, there’s still the mystery of when and how either of them got home to their respective houses.

After watching Kavanaugh’s sincere, impassioned and at times gut-wrenching denial on Thursday afternoon, it was virtually impossible to consider him capable of committing this crime (and, yes, it is a crime, with no statute of limitations in Maryland).  As for evidence, he was the only one who produced anything tangible:  a calendar from the summer in question that showed how busy he was with other activities in other locations.  No party.  And no one else placed by Dr. Ford at the party can recall being there.

And yet Dr. Ford seemed thoroughly genuine –- with real, lasting emotional pain –- despite the vagueness of many of her answers.  Some of her wording did seem coached, however; I could be wrong, but if memory serves, it wasn’t until the hearing that she qualified her description of fearing Kavanaugh might kill her, adding the word “accidentally.”  That sounds like a lawyerly tweak.  She also had no idea who was paying for what in her legal defense, and I have a strong suspicion her lawyers are deliberately keeping her ignorant of that so she won’t reveal too many details on the stand.  We already knew that both attorneys are working pro bono.  One is Andrew McCabe’s lawyer; the other is a Trump “resister” whose firm happens to have represented one of the other Kavanaugh accusers in a different case.  Dr. Ford insisted she is “no one’s pawn,” but rest assured, she is.

As for evidence, she had nothing except the results of a polygraph that had measured responses to just two very general questions.  Of course, if she BELIEVED what she had put into her statement, regardless of its accuracy, she would have passed with flying colors, even if Kavanaugh is completely innocent.

Perhaps the only way to reconcile Kavanaugh’s raw believability with Dr. Ford’s clear emotional damage is through the probability of mistaken identity.  (If not that, then perhaps an especially vivid dream that got “embedded in her hippocampus”?)  Dr. Ford insists it is not mistaken identify, but how sure can she be?  If her specialty as a psychologist were criminology, she would surely know how common it is.  Consider The Innocence Project, which has brought about the release of 362 (at last count) of wrongly convicted inmates by arranging and paying for DNA tests for men serving long sentences for sexual and other violent crimes.  They say that 70 percent of those who are exonerated were convicted on the basis of wrong identifications.

These mistakes typically occur during lineups or photo IDs, which present different challenges than do cases such as this one, but, in general, witness IDs are notoriously unreliable.  In fact, many of those victims whose testimony puts innocent men away for decades claim to be “100 percent sure.”

The thing is, Senate Democrats are “100 percent prepared not to care” if Kavanaugh is innocent.  They are desperate to keep him off the Court and will do whatever it takes.  Anyone who gets hurt in the process  is just collateral damage.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Robert Burtron, Jr, MD

09/28/2018 07:06 PM

Not Telling The Truth: There are two choices here: 1) She knows that she is not telling the truth. 2) She doesn't know that she is not telling the truth. #1 is for someone else to analyze. #2 has some interesting origins. The obvious one you have addressed. I would expect that you would have some familiarity with Paul's admonition "to take every thought captive." I never understood that instruction in reality until I was introduced to theta wave communication within the Spirit World. We can receive this thought process both via the Holy Spirit and from the demon spirits as well. Dr. Ford has engaged in some pretty "heavy duty" protesting that would give permission to the spirit world to use her for their purposes. This is a very valid option for explaining Dr. Ford. I "double dare" you to explain that to the MSM. Good luck...! Bob

• Daniel Suarez

09/28/2018 07:03 PM

I don’t believe this female for a minute . In a extraordinary effort not to touch her even with a rose petal, every Conservative including Kavanaugh is advancing the absurd hypothesis that she mistook Kavanaugh for someone else. Talk about absurd! The only reason I can think of is that this ultra liberal can’t conceive that this Constitution lover can become a Justice!

• John

09/28/2018 06:05 PM

What was the date of the baseball game Kavanaugh stated he attended along with several classmates while attending his 3rd year at Yale? The game at Fenway Park, which he stated was a 3 hour drive. The game where Clemens pitched and George Brett played left field. The same game where he bought all the tickets. The early morning after the game where someone fell out of the bus. The early morning after the game where he made peace. Those details can be found on Youtube courtesy of CNN 'Kavanaugh questioned about sex assault allegations' (Entire hearing 3:52:24) Time at which the description about the game began at 2:57:00.

• Nita

09/28/2018 06:00 PM

Praying for you and your family

• Betty Brown

09/28/2018 05:51 PM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this terrible situation. I have believed as you stated that someone can absolutely believe something that is also completely untrue. I am baffled by her ability to completely trust her memory without one small possibility of mistake, with her background.

I am the youngest of 5 girls in my family, I can assure you that there have been many many times where each of us would swear to knowing the truth of some occurrence, and that would leave up to 5 truths to be believed.

Thank you again for being a voice of reason in a time of chaos.

• Jeffrey Little

09/28/2018 05:24 PM

This whole obstruction of confirmation of Judge Kavanaugh, by the Democrats boils down to three things:
    1. The fear that he will be the residing vote to overturn Roe v. Wade. (abortion is big business for the Democrats) (Sen. Durban in an interview)
    2. An attempt to get back at Kavanaugh for his role into the investigation of Bill Clinton. ( Just listen to Sen. Whitehouse today in committee.
    3. The democrats inability to get past the 2016 election and obstruct anything that President Trump is for.

As for the credibility of Dr. Ford, in my eyes she totally blew it when she said she was claustrophobic and afraid to fly, yet said she flew to see her family flew to Hawaii and other South Pacific islands to surf. In addition someone with her education in psychology can easily manipulate their answers to appear truthful and credible..

• Natalie Mullen

09/28/2018 05:15 PM

After this blackmail by Jeff Flake it was reported Mr Trump ordert a FBI investigation. I understand he needs the vote of Flake but if this Flake dude can blackmail the president in this, I can not trust Trump to not bend to other blackmails as well. I will NOT support Democrats, Republicans or Trump anymore. After what I seen and heard those last few weeks, what got done to this judge and his family and this now...nope I am done. Not to mention that Mr Trump still did not do anything to help us, living outside the USA at all. I payed, I supportet and hoped. I am happy I sold my houses in Oregon for I am done with the USA. Trump had my full support but he just lost me.

• Susan Kay Worsley

09/28/2018 05:14 PM

I watched the majority of the proceedings yesterday and was appalled at the treatment received by Judge Kavanaugh. Dr. Ford was treated with “kid gloves” but the boxing gloves came out by the minority with the judge. He was even criticized by many in the opposition and the press for not displaying a “judicial temperament”. Really!!! The man is being dragged through the mud along with his family. I have never seen the Democrats sink this low in my 68 years and am afraid they have no limit to how low they will sink.

• Phyllis Casey

09/28/2018 05:06 PM

She was swimming at a cc all day - why w/ those nice locker rooms would she still have her bathing suit on? Where were her parents/where did her parents think she was? How did the two - only girls- get invited to a part of 4 boys they did not know? How did they get to the party? They must have had an address to arrive there. She acted very cute about the feigned frailty regarding airlines - but she flies all the time for pleasure. How did she get home? If she didn't drive or know where she was? And yes, if she thought these boys were dangerous, why leave her friend?

• Malcolm Isted

09/28/2018 04:35 PM

Hi Mike. Following you from South Africa. So much has been said about all this drama. What stands out for me is what you have said about the girlfriend that was also at the party. I share your thoughts on this. But this is my problem. Dr Ford is 100% certain of the actions and names of the two boys in that room because these memories were indelibly encoded into her hippocampus through her neurotransmitters, whatever. She is also 100% certain that the girlfriend was also at this party, but for some reason, her neurotransmitters must have made a coding mistake because this girlfriend denies that she was there. How then do we distinguish as to when the neurotransmitters are accurately encoding what they actually see or hear (as in the case of the two boys) but for some reason they encode something like the girlfriends presence when she was not there?

• Marcus J Cohen

09/28/2018 04:21 PM

Too many liberal Democrats are sell out's that made up their mind's months ago how they would vote. I'm sorry to say Durban, Harris, and big eyed Booger's (sp?) questions were political show to discredit the honor of one far better than they will ever be...G-d bless America

• Lisa Chambers

09/28/2018 04:08 PM

I remember her saying before the hearing that she was afraid he might (unintentionally or accidentally) kill her. But it seems like her lawyers did coach her in other areas. I wonder whose idea it was for her to act like she was still the young girl from 1982? She spoke like a teenager, not a professor. And just a few minutes after describing how chemicals in the brain cause a person to retain memories, she said that she didn't know the meaning of "exculpatory evidence." Anyone who has ever watched an episode of CSI, Perry Mason, etc. knows what exculpatory evidence is! And, are we to believe that just a few weeks after he participated in the assault that "terrified" her, she would casually say Hello to Mark Judge when she saw him in the grocery store?

• Lee Bush

09/28/2018 04:07 PM

Can you imagine not warning your good friend that drunken boys just tried to molest you and just leaving her alone and in Danger! And not sending someone back to get her out of that house! I would hope to never have a good friend like Ford.

• MRS BELLA SMITH

09/28/2018 04:04 PM

No one has mentioned something that may be "RELEVANT" to Ford. Due to the fact that she had to have psychiatric counseling and became a psychologist herself (a profession of those who, it is said, are trying to discover what is wrong with themselves) she may have sustained "PROSOPAGNOSIA," Brain Damage, a result of "shock, " where "loss of memory" is significant after an attack. Therefore she would NOT be able to IDENTIFY who it was that caused her such mental trauma. PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL BACK. Thank you.

• Mel Lee

09/28/2018 03:56 PM

Two women cornered Jeff Flake, in an elevator and cry and scream, at him, for saying he would vote, for Judge Kavanaugh. Then, he flipped, on going forward to vote, for him. I guess the Dems sent them to bushwhack him!

• Mel Lee

09/28/2018 03:55 PM

• Rick Schramm

09/28/2018 03:50 PM

If The Republicans agree to a 1 week FBI investigation it should include 1) Who leaked Dr Ford's document to the press? and 2) how is it that Dr Ford did not know that she could stay at home and give her testimony? and any other Democrat delay scheme you can think of.

• Karen Horton

09/28/2018 03:31 PM

I am an RN who once trained in a state hospital with schizophrenic patients. One patient in particular, diagnosed with schiz. paranoia kept coming to mind as I watched her testimony yesterday. These patients' minds concoct very believable stories, and because they believe them so strongly, they are able to convince others of their plight. I hope that if further investigation is ordered, it will include her mental history and any meds she is/has been on. She does not appear to be a "stable" person and so needs prayer, of course. But it is also true that her chosen profession brings suspicion as many who enter that field do so in an attempt to deal with their own issues.
    My leading by the Holy Spirit is to believe Judge Kavanough, although his history with beer is somewhat concerning. Still, there isn't much in this world that is more painful than to be misunderstood and wrongly accused. It causes trauma that is long lasting. We can only pray that God will use this trial for His Glory, as we know He will. And because prayer is battle, I believe we really need to be binding, in Jesus' name, the spirit of error that is so apparent in our country now. In fact, the Holy Spirit showed me this back when Obama was first elected.

Thank you for all you do to be a blessing to the world. Onward!!!

• Elizabeth Beardslee

09/28/2018 03:19 PM

I heard from another psychologist on a conservative station that Ford's testimony seemed too flat, lacking any ripples or waves of emotion. I too noticed that. Also, Ford read from a script and was flanked by her attorneys for easy direction. She added a front door to her home in 2008 (not 2012 as she claimed) for renter access, not due to fear of Kavanaugh. No evidence, no corroboration...not credible.

• Catherine Amee

09/28/2018 03:18 PM

I totally agree with you! Dr. Ford may have actually been assaulted but it wasn't by Judge Kavanaugh. Her testimony had holes in it. She is being used by the Democrats and it is despicable. I definitely believe that it is mistaken identity!

• John P Kneeland

09/28/2018 03:13 PM

As noted here, 362 men have been vindicated after being incarcerated for years due to spurious accusations. I find it questionable that a psychologist after 36 years and numerous appointments with other psychologists has yet to come to grips with a simple groping incident. She reveals that she has 2 front doors and has stated that she's afraid to fly. So much for the effectiveness of clinical psychology....Physician heal thyself comes to mind. There seem to be far too many unanswered questions here that beg explanation. Judge Kavanaugh has many female employees, co-workers, fellow judges and past acquaintances that steadfastly stand behind his character. Dr. Fords supposed witnesses all come down on Judge Kavanaughs side. Dr. Ford has not met the burden of proof.

• Carol Bell

09/28/2018 03:07 PM

Her lawyers are working pro bono & they paid for the polygraph. There is a go fund me acct. for her family for over $400,000 for them the family to use. Many suspicious details. Judge Kavanaugh needs to be confirmed now & be our next Supreme Court Judge.

• Dietrich Wichmann

09/28/2018 03:04 PM

According to Jeremiah Hanafin, the man who administered the polygraph test, the following questions were asked of Dr Ford : (A) "Is any part of your statement false?"; (B) "Did you make up any part of your statement?"
    Yesterday, however, Dr Ford described her polygraph experience as follows: “Based on the advice of the counsel, I was happy to undergo the polygraph test, although I found it extremely stressful, much longer than I anticipated. I told my whole life story, I felt like. I endured it. It was fine.”

• David Majors

09/28/2018 03:00 PM

Excellent article. The psychology jargon reminded me of past training in a sales job. "Nuts and bolts" selling is when you give the customer a great deal of information about the product with the intent of impressing them with your knowledge so they believe they should buy from you.

• Fay Freed

09/28/2018 02:53 PM

Cory Booker insisted today that there is corroboration of Dr. Ford's "facts". Her telling her therapist and some friends between 2012 to 2017 is not corroboration! It's still her only.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Robert Burtron, Jr, MD

09/28/2018 07:06 PM

• Daniel Suarez

09/28/2018 07:03 PM

• John

09/28/2018 06:05 PM

• Nita

09/28/2018 06:00 PM

Praying for you and your family

• Betty Brown

09/28/2018 05:51 PM

Thank you again for being a voice of reason in a time of chaos.

• Jeffrey Little

• Mel Lee

09/28/2018 03:55 PM

• Rick Schramm

09/28/2018 03:50 PM

• Karen Horton

09/28/2018 03:31 PM

Thank you for all you do to be a blessing to the world. Onward!!!

• Elizabeth Beardslee

09/28/2018 03:19 PM

• Catherine Amee

09/28/2018 03:18 PM

• John P Kneeland

09/28/2018 03:13 PM

• Carol Bell

09/28/2018 03:07 PM

• Dietrich Wichmann

09/28/2018 03:04 PM

• David Majors

09/28/2018 03:00 PM

• Fay Freed

09/28/2018 02:53 PM

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Robert Burtron, Jr, MD

09/28/2018 07:06 PM

• Daniel Suarez

09/28/2018 07:03 PM

• John

09/28/2018 06:05 PM

• Nita

09/28/2018 06:00 PM

Praying for you and your family

• Betty Brown

09/28/2018 05:51 PM

Thank you again for being a voice of reason in a time of chaos.

• Jeffrey Little

• Mel Lee

09/28/2018 03:55 PM

• Rick Schramm

09/28/2018 03:50 PM

• Karen Horton

09/28/2018 03:31 PM

Thank you for all you do to be a blessing to the world. Onward!!!

• Elizabeth Beardslee