May 15, 2017

Michelle Obama is not happy about the move to roll back her healthy school lunch mandates. While I agree with her that kids shouldn’t be allowed to dictate their menus and eat pizza and ice cream every day, that wasn’t really the problem. I welcomed her to my TV show in the beginning to discuss this topic because I am an advocate for healthier eating and lifestyles (still the best way to keep medical costs down for everyone). But just as kids need a balanced diet, there also has to be a balance between healthy standards and taste. It would be healthy to serve kids a plate of steamed kale every day, but if it goes straight into the trash can, it’s not doing their bodies any good. The goal of the initiative should have been to help local schools make cafeteria lunches healthier and more appealing, not to impose stringent, complicated federal mandates from 1,000 miles away, forcing them to prioritize meeting government standards over serving up food that students could eat without gagging.

This argument is a good reflection of a lot of what’s going on right with political discourse on all sorts of issues. One side insists it’s right and wants Washington to impose its viewpoint on everyone, while the other side resists and refuses to swallow what Washington is dishing out.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT.  I READ THEM!

• Susanne Elston

05/15/2017 03:44 PM

I agree with you Mr. Huckabee. Like use stevia or honey to sweeten instead of sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Get High fructose corn syrup out of everything. And get preservatives out of their foods and use uncured meats. Just make heathier versions of what kids love to eat. Thank you. I admire your attitude. Where is the common sense in people today?

• Ida McClure

05/15/2017 03:43 PM

She should have had to eat what our students were eating--arrived w/o notification that she was eating with us & gagged down the "food"(????) the kids were given and the portions. All students K-12 were given the same portion size-- 3 tiny chicken nuggets, 6 french fries & 1/2 banana. Students 7-12 were attending after school athletic practices or events after small, inadequate lunches. I know many went to the nearest store/convenience store and inhaled a bag of chips, a couple candy bars & some soda before practices began-- yup that's healthy.

• Cindi Sans

05/15/2017 03:41 PM

Well said, I agree, food in the garbage doesn't make it healthier for the child, I saw some of the so called healthy choices, I would gag on them.. And the home is where the child should also learn about healthy eating, and exercise!

• John & Jamie Lafollette

05/15/2017 03:41 PM

When I was a kid, school lunch was like a cafeteria. You paid the money and you got to choose from a wide variety of choices but they were all healthy. These days I think the rules for school lunch should be pretty simple - 1)Balanced in a way that each plate has a variety of bright colors - reds, greens, orange, yellow. 2)Until our medical community figures out why so many people suffer so many health issues caused by gluten or genetically modified grains, schools should not serve those kinds of foods. 3)Foods should be mostly made from scratch, not processed. Good to see you on Fox, Mike!

May 15, 2017

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT.  I READ THEM!

• Susanne Elston

05/15/2017 03:44 PM

• Ida McClure

05/15/2017 03:43 PM

• Cindi Sans

05/15/2017 03:41 PM

• John & Jamie Lafollette

05/15/2017 03:41 PM

May 15, 2017

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT.  I READ THEM!

• Susanne Elston