April 22, 2020

DEREGULATION IS COMING

President Trump has said that one of the key actions he will take to help get the economy back up and moving again is more deregulation. This will naturally be opposed by Democrats, who see the current crisis as an opportunity to impose bigger and more intrusive government, not less. But at the link, Stephen Green of PJ Media explains why deregulation would be a much better long-term stimulus than building infrastructure or sending the states a pile of federal money.

To put it in terms I think we can all appreciate these days, if you want the patient to be able to breathe again, stop sitting on his chest.

MORE PROOF THAT THE "C" IN CNN STANDS FOR "CONCOCTED"

Between Chris Cuomo’s obviously staged, Groundhog Day-like “emergence” from quarantine and Brian Stelter tweeting about how he hides under the covers and cries, I can’t help longing for the days when news anchors just read the news and weren’t compelled to tell us all their innermost feelings. Say what you will about Walter Cronkite, but I can’t imagine him bursting into tears on our TV screens like a teenage girl who got a pimple on prom night.

THE BEST MESSAGING

The left might own 90% of the media, but there’s no question that Trump supporters have the best messaging. Like this devastating new commercial from the Trump campaign, comparing Nancy Pelosi to Marie “Let them eat cake” Antoinette as she enjoys her stockpile of $13-a-pint gourmet ice cream while holding up emergency relief funds to people who have nothing in their fridges.

There’s also this hilarious parody commercial skewering Joe Biden. It was not created by Trump’s campaign but retweeted by him. It’s an altered Allstate commercial that replaces spokesman Dennis Haysbert (who coincidentally played the first black President on “24”) with Barack Obama.

Having no substantive response, Trump critics fell back on their go-to response, claiming the parody ad is racist because all the men on the couch are black. But that’s because all the men on the couch in the Allstate ad it alters are black, and nobody called that ad racist.

Trump got the last laugh because the parody ad got more views in 13 hours than Obama’s video endorsing Biden got in a week. Maybe because the Trump video actually made people laugh, while the Obama video which hailed Joe Biden’s “knowledge and experience, honesty and humility, empathy and grace” and accused Republicans of only wanting power and being supported by "a propaganda network with little regard for the truth" provoked only unintentional laughs.

MORE TRUTH

Once again, the humor website The Babylon Bee gives us more truth than the straight news, as they translate what various COVID-19 talking points really mean.

"DAD, HOW DO I...?"

It’s more than a shame, it’s a national tragedy that so many kids grow up in homes without fathers to teach them the basic life skills that fathers traditionally hand down to their children. But if kids are going to be raised by the Internet, at least they now have a place to turn to learn some of the essential “Dad” skills. It’s a YouTube channel started by a dad whose own father walked out when he was 12. He wanted to teach kids the things he wishes his dad had been around to teach him, like how to shave or how to change a tire. It’s called “Dad, How Do I…?”

Incidentally, I think it’s funny that while he created the “Dad, How Do I…?” channel, he needed his daughter to show him how to publicize it on Facebook. I’d called that cross-generational learning.

NEW STUDY

There’s a new study out on the use of the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine on coronavirus patients at VA hospitals. The media are promoting the study because it found “no benefit” from the drug and that patients on it died at a higher rate than those receiving regular care.

I’m not a doctor, and I make no claims for this drug one way or the other, aside from defending the right of doctors and patients to try it. And many say it has shown promise, particularly when given to people in the early stages of the disease. But I do have to point out that the way this story is being framed by the media is extremely misleading. Here’s a quote from the study’s footnotes that I’m sure will get zero publicity:

"However, hydroxychloroquine, with or without azithromycin, was more likely to be prescribed to patients with more severe disease, as assessed by baseline ventilatory status and metabolic and hematologic parameters. Thus, as expected, increased mortality was observed in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine, both with and without azithromycin."

So we are led to believe that those taking the drug became more likely to die, when in fact, those who were more likely to die were given the drug. Even the study authors admit that under those circumstances, a higher death rate for patients on the drug was expected. But when you put it that way, it becomes harder to blame their deaths on President Trump.

RIP TOM LESTER ("EB ON GREEN ACRES")

By “Huckabee” writer/pop culture guru Pat Reeder

Another one of those favorite TV actors from your childhood (or your Amazon/Netflix binges, depending on your age) has left us, with the death in Nashville of Tom Lester at 81 from Parkinson’s disease. The gangly comic actor appeared in a number of movies and TV shows but is best remembered as Eb Dawson, Mr. Douglas’ exasperating farmhand on “Green Acres.”

That era of show business was filled with great character actors who appeared in everything, and even if you didn’t know their names, you knew their faces like your own relatives’. That was the key to Dawson’s success. He said his friends told him, "'You’re crazy. You’ll never be able to do that. You're too tall, too skinny, too ugly. You've got a Southern accent, and you'll never make it in the motion picture business. You don't look like Rock Hudson.'" But inspired by the success of fellow gawky stringbean Don Knotts, Dawson went to Hollywood and studied acting. One of his classmates was Linda Kaye Henning, later Betty Jo Bradley on “Petticoat Junction,” whose dad Paul Henning was the top comedy producer of the time, specializing in rural sitcoms like “The Beverly Hillbillies.”

Henning liked Lester and gave him a small role as Eb on “Green Acres,” where he proved so funny, he became a regular, later popping up on “Hillbillies” and “Petticoat” as well. Lester, a born-again Christian, eventually retired from acting to a real farm in Mississippi, where we hope he had better farmhands and a nicer house than Oliver and Lisa Douglas. Rest in peace, and thanks for all the laughs you gave us, Tom.

On a side note, “Green Acres” was a victim of CBS’ 1971 purge of still-popular “rural” shows for more “sophisticated” fare meant to appeal to hip, young urban dwellers, one of the first examples of elite media types biting the Middle American hands that feed them. As Pat “Mr. Haney” Buttram put it, CBS canceled every show with a tree, including “Lassie.” Today, most of those “relevant” shows are forgotten (except by trivia nuts like me) or seem very dated, like “All In the Family,” while shows like “Andy Griffith” and “The Beverly Hillbillies” are hot properties in streaming and syndication, and beloved by new generations. “Green Acres” was actually a very sophisticated “meta” show disguised as a rural sitcom (I call it “The Surreal McCoys.”)

Audiences infuriated at being force-fed preachy urban liberal shows got the last laugh when CBS tried to bury a rural pilot it was stuck with by airing it opposite “The Mod Squad” and “The Flip Wilson Show.” Instead, it got huge ratings and went on to be a top 10 series for nine years. And that’s how “The Waltons” was born.

DAILY BIBLE VERSE

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

1 Corinthians 13:13 (KJV)

• Frances Robertson

04/22/2020 07:35 PM

Dear Pastor Huckabee, I love reading your evening edition, it seems like I'm talking to my dad or my husband at the end of the day, and I'm so quieted and heartened by 'our talk'. I lost my husband of 44 years 5 years ago, on my birthday, no less. So reading your articles just seems like a really good visit with my husband or dear relative or a dear friend and I'm not so lonely. You speak the truth. God Bless and keep you.

• James Evart

04/22/2020 07:12 PM

I was wondering why I had not heard anything about HCQ (hydroxychloroquine) lately. I did hear about Tom Hanks and his wife having taken HCQ but I suspect it was only so that the media could report that she had severe nausea drug instead of severe death from the virus. In doing a cursory check of the drug stores around here, I have also found out that its generally not available. Is this not odd considering that President Trump said weeks ago that we have over 100 MILLION doses stockpiled?

To me, the spinning of the VA report on HCQ's healing effectiveness is to be expected by a medical establishment seemingly more interested in a disease making them money than actually healing the sick. Giving a drug to a patient about ready to die of heart failure, cancer or some other disease or who is on a ventilator, which in itself is 80-90% fatal, is about as honest as throwing a life vest into an empty ocean and saying that you had tried to save someone long since drowned - OR - saying that someone died of this virus when they had actually died of something else and merely tested positive toward the time of their death.

WHY IS THERE NO ACTION DISTRIBUTING HCQ and making it available to everyone? Forget the testing, heal the people with HCQ and/or keep them from getting the virus and get back to work!

Ask the 91% survivors healed by HCQ in the French study of 1061 HCQ positive patients if this drug is a fluke or ineffective.

It seems to me that there are those interested in regaining power who would rather our whole country suffer and many die to further their own political ends by keeping this country shuttered and tearing its economy to shreds.

• Brooks Mancini

04/22/2020 06:55 PM

We note that the show, God Friended Me on Sunday night on CBS, will be taken off the air after this coming Sunday. We found the show to be well written with the plot changing from week to week and constantly twisting & turning. It was about God sending a text message to an atheist who is to help a person in need. The atheist believes that there is no God and someone is manipulating him and he tries to find out who but can't. Yes there is homosexuality and black on white, but the show leaves you with the feeling that there is a God. I hope that isn't the reason the show is being cancelled.

• Greta Hoener

04/22/2020 06:43 PM

I set my alarm every morning to watch the Beverly Hillbillies because it's a great way to start the day these days. Saw Eb this morning on the show. What a wonderful life! Thank you for sharing!

• George Trittschler

04/22/2020 06:41 PM

Hello Mike, I generally like just about everything you and your wonderful daughter Sara do and say. This latest EVENING EDITION, April 22, 2020 though, not one of the links in it led to what it seemed to be talking about. What's going on? I'm not going to go into all the details but I opened up many of them and they all seem to lead to something other than what Evening Edition lead one to believe.
    Just a comment.
    George

• Donna Cornell

04/22/2020 06:36 PM

It all gets so exasperating, doesn't it Governor? Pres. Trump is quite amazingly 'common sensical' and 'spot on' in 'giving adults' the 'right of decision' wherein these 'manipulators in politics and news media' are just plain 'evil workers' of the 'adversary, Satan'....nothing new.
    Have a wonderful day Governor. Thanks for all you do through your great incites.

• Martin Pedersen

04/22/2020 06:31 PM

The Bible verse of the day, "And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity, 1 Corinthians 13:13 (KJV), reminds me of the old song from the 50s: "The Bible Tells Me So." You can hear the song on YouTube.

"Have faith, hope and charity; that's the way to live successfully;
    How do I know? the Bible tells me so...."

• Robin Rebhan

04/22/2020 06:25 PM

Burdensome regulations is the main reason American companies were sending manufacturing and technology to China in the first place. The Corona crisis has revealed to the nation just how bad, and dysfunctional the the bureaucratic " Progressive Government " has become. And I strongly believe has become an outright disservice to the Nation.
    After what we are all going through the Democrats want more bureaucracy! Are you serious?!
    November is going to be very interesting indeed.

• harry mills

04/22/2020 06:24 PM

How come I can,t forward this ?

• Anne Turner

04/22/2020 06:17 PM

Maybe it is the isolation, or the hate Trump facebook posts I get daily, but I am truly afraid the Dems are going to get control one way or the other, particularly if the Nov. election is by mail or on line. They will find a way. This Dem leadership is without conscience, ethics, or morality. Now it is a possibility that Michele will be VP pick. That could win it for the DNC. She will then be de facto president until such time as she is president when Joe had to resign. Can you believe that the DNC is seriously running a man who is so obviously in the early stages of dementia. I do not mean that unkindly, but besides the gaffs watch his eyes.

• Nora Sturgeon

04/22/2020 06:03 PM

Thank you for your newsletters. It gives me the news I want in an unbiased factual manner with just enough humor thrown in to keep my blood pressure down. I also appreciate the Bible verses you share,

• marshall goldman

04/22/2020 05:55 PM

Governor, why is nobody suggesting or requiring the Banks that gave big companies loans which they don't really need as we have heard they have plenty of cash or as in the Harvard case $ 40 b endowment fund. Instead of printing more money, and now giving a new multibillion dollars to small business'. When and where does this giveaway end or stop? The banks are at fault here and should be required to call the money back and return it to those smaller business' that that really need to stay afloat, pay employees, bills, insurance, suppliers. I would like an answer to this question from congress. Thank you

• Robert Crane

04/22/2020 05:55 PM

Mike, as I see it most of our civil rights are already gone. As long as Americans believe everything is for our good, it won't be long before we're all living in a police state .

• Robert Crane

04/22/2020 05:54 PM

• Pat J Green

04/22/2020 05:53 PM

A little side note about Eddie Albert of Green Acres, he was a died in the wool real live hero of WW2 , it's worth reading about him. I think that is what made those shows what they are, by the people who put there life's on hold and sometimes give there lives just to make the world better. It would not hurt for today's Hollywood types to step up to the plate and do there part to make things better for the next generation instead of there present from of mind

• Floyd A Unger

04/22/2020 05:49 PM

• Michael Jordan

04/22/2020 05:44 PM

If you read "the study" carefully, you will note that there was no specific location noted, that none of the people doing the study were identified, there was no baseline to compare it with such as using a placebo. There was no indication about what dosages were used and it was not clear as to whether they were using HydroxyCloroquine or just the base Cloroquine or whether they were including Zinc as most doctors who had the best results used. The final point was on nearly the last line that said..this report has not been submitted for publication, really meaning not peer review. Just seem like a transparent attempt to smear.

• Nancy McNeely

04/22/2020 05:39 PM

I ordered 2 12x18 American flags to proudly hang on my railing porch at my apartment in Canyon Lake, Texas.
    Can’t wait until they get here. I want to show and share my patriotism.

• Stephen Russell

04/22/2020 05:34 PM

Wuhan issues: Have U noticed to date since Jan:

No celebs wearing face masks in public?
    Mixed messages from Task Force IE Dr Fauci.
    Too many "studies"
    No coordination in Task Force on data, etc.
    Dem mayors & Govs act like mini tyrants?
    DC Deep State keeps status quo going.
    Dems mock small business.
    No timeline end for CA lockdown.
    Is Fauci a Deep Stater or ally?
    Can any other MD replace him on issue?
    Why arent data displays used to show models etc at briefings?
    Or hold briefings on Remote IE WHPC views from other locale.
    & U wonder why everyone is frustrated.
    & angry at who Benefits from lockdown.

What can we do?

Note how Fauci didnt Take Charge & give command advice on issue & Pres didnt question lockdown with another MD source etc.
    Very scary
    Ideas., comments

April 22, 2020

DEREGULATION IS COMING

MORE PROOF THAT THE "C" IN CNN STANDS FOR "CONCOCTED"

THE BEST MESSAGING

MORE TRUTH

"DAD, HOW DO I...?"

NEW STUDY

RIP TOM LESTER ("EB ON GREEN ACRES")

By “Huckabee” writer/pop culture guru Pat Reeder

DAILY BIBLE VERSE

1 Corinthians 13:13 (KJV)

• Frances Robertson

George

• Donna Cornell

04/22/2020 06:36 PM

• Martin Pedersen

04/22/2020 06:31 PM

"Have faith, hope and charity; that's the way to live successfully;
    How do I know? the Bible tells me so...."

• Robin Rebhan

04/22/2020 06:25 PM

November is going to be very interesting indeed.

• harry mills

04/22/2020 06:24 PM

How come I can,t forward this ?

• Anne Turner

• Floyd A Unger

04/22/2020 05:49 PM

• Michael Jordan

04/22/2020 05:44 PM

• Nancy McNeely

04/22/2020 05:39 PM

Can’t wait until they get here. I want to show and share my patriotism.

• Stephen Russell

04/22/2020 05:34 PM

Wuhan issues: Have U noticed to date since Jan:

No celebs wearing face masks in public?
    Mixed messages from Task Force IE Dr Fauci.
    Too many "studies"
    No coordination in Task Force on data, etc.
    Dem mayors & Govs act like mini tyrants?
    DC Deep State keeps status quo going.
    Dems mock small business.
    No timeline end for CA lockdown.
    Is Fauci a Deep Stater or ally?
    Can any other MD replace him on issue?
    Why arent data displays used to show models etc at briefings?
    Or hold briefings on Remote IE WHPC views from other locale.
    & U wonder why everyone is frustrated.
    & angry at who Benefits from lockdown.

What can we do?