Evening Edition - February 6

February 6, 2019

The official Democratic response by given by losing (but still not conceding – in fact, she might be both a Never-Trumper and a Never-Conceder) Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams.  Abrams got some flak for making much of her speech about herself and her family background, but I actually thought that was the best part.  From her description of her father, he sounds like a fine man, and I liked her story about him giving his coat to a homeless person and his teaching his family that in America, when we’re in trouble, we can count on our friends and neighbors and first responders to “come for us.”

I also liked the fact that because those were personal family memories, I didn’t have to deal with the cognitive dissonance I suffered during the policy portion of her speech, when she kept saying things that I knew were patently false.  For instance, describing this red-hot economy with record low unemployment, rising wages and job creation at double the expected rate as some sort of depressed wasteland where “plants are closing, layoffs are looming and wages struggle to keep pace with the actual cost of living (has she not looked at the business news since Obama left office?)

Or hauling out the fake news about how Trump wants to put children in cages (that started with a meme of a border detention center photo taken during the Obama Administration – and would she rather that children apprehended when their parents try to sneak them into the country illegally be kept with people who may not really be their parents, along with the general population of detainees, including sex offenders and drug gangsters?)

Abrams also used the now-familiar Democratic tactic of trying to win a losing argument by redefining terms.  Americans are not in favor of illegal immigration, so Democrats defend it by calling illegal aliens “immigrants” and accusing anyone who wants to enforce existing immigration laws of being a bigot who hates immigrants.  Sorry, but President Trump just make it abundantly clear that he thinks legal immigrants are a great resource for America and he wants to welcome many more of them, as long as they respect the process and follow the rules.

Kudos to her for coming up with a new (to me, anyway) fuzzy euphemism for murdering babies in the womb: “reproductive justice.”  I wish the approximately 60 million children who have been killed by abortionists since Roe v. Wade had voices because I bet they would tell you their executions didn’t feel like “justice” to them.  It was also blindingly ironic that the theme of her speech was that in America, someone will always “come for you” when you’re in trouble, at the very moment when her party is actually defending leaving a post-birth baby to struggle for its life while doctors stand around having a discussion about whether or not to give it help or let it die.

Abrams’ official SOTU response was the aural equivalent of the sour faces on the Democrats in the House chamber, and was predictable: a collection of euphemisms, obfuscations, obstructionism, misrepresentations, partisanship and denials of reality.  Rather than go through it line-by-line, I’ll refer you to this excellent analysis by Beth Baumann, who fileted it like a flounder.

----------------------------------

While Abrams gave the “official” Party response, for Democrats, the impulse to run to a camera and contradict everything President Trump says is as impossible to resist as asking them to vote against a tax increase.  And so, as usual, Bernie Sanders followed Abrams with his own response.  I won’t bother to encapsulate it; just check out the sick look on his face when Trump declared that America would NEVER be socialist, and you’ve got the gist.  Also note that even he couldn’t get through defending the Democrats’ radical stance on abortion without his voice rebelling on him.

Presidential hopeful Sen. Kamala Harris risked ticking off fellow Democrats by giving her own unofficial SOTU response, before Trump even made his speech.  It sounds as if she’s as unclear on the meaning of the term “response” as she is on the terms “affordable” or “limited government.” Not knowing what he was going to say, she relied on the usual grab-bag of anti-Trump media slurs, such as the phony ripping-babies-from-their-mothers’-arms-to-put-them-in-cages cliché (better that babies should be ripped from their mothers’ wombs and put in Dumpsters).

But the Democratic responses aren’t over yet, and I’m not referring to all the media attempts to slam Trump, downplay his obvious homerun with viewers, or contradict him, like Time magazine rushing out a tweet to flog a story about how “Democratic” Socialism is a “viable platform.”  I don’t think it got the responses on Twitter that they hoped for.

Kamala Harris also promoted yet another Democrat's response to the SOTU, which is coming today in Spanish from California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, whom she described as “a tireless voice for justice” who “has stood up for our values every single day since this President took office.”

I’ll add that Becerra’s idea of standing up for justice and Democratic values is to sue the Little Sisters of the Poor, an order of impoverished nuns who provide end-of-life care to the indigent, to force them to provide contraceptives and abortion drugs to employees in violation of their sacred beliefs.  When the Supreme Court rightly sided with the nuns, he defied the SCOTUS, common decency and the First Amendment and found a different legal tack to use to drag them back into federal court again.

What is the Spanish word for “swine”?

-----------------------------------

In these days when Democrats think wearing blackface 40 years ago is a career-ending offense (but killing a newborn baby isn’t), is it safe to assume that the bombshell new evidence of Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s “cultural appropriation” on her 1986 Texas State Bar registration form will mark the end of her presidential hopes?

-----------------------------------

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax’s odds of replacing the odious Gov. Ralph Northam seem to be dropping as his defense against a 2004 sexual assault allegation is being called into question – not by Republicans but by the Washington Post.

He used WaPo’s decision not to cover the story previously to claim that the paper found inconsistencies and “red flags” in the woman’s story.  But WaPo says that’s not what they said.  They found that Fairfax and his accuser told different stories (he said it was consensual, she says she was physically forced), but they found no corroborating evidence or witnesses to disprove or support either version.

So it’s still “he said, she said,” but they found nothing suspicious about what she said.  Only now, he’s been accused of lying about what the Washington Post said about the incident, which doesn’t look good when being the more believable person is his chief defense.  He still deserves the presumption of innocence, but his ground just got shakier. And this development isn’t going to make his case any easier either:

I know what you’re thinking, but sorry: the next in line for Governor is Attorney General Mark Herring, and he’s a Democrat, too.  On the other hand, he is a Democrat, too, so this may not be the end of it.

----------------------------

I’m glad to hear that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has a favorite Bible verse that she quotes “all the time.”  I’d be even gladder if it were actually in the Bible.  She said, “I know it’s in there someplace, it’s supposed to be in Isaiah.”  She says that “in some words or another” (her grasp of the meaning of the word “quote” is also tenuous), it says that “to administer to the needs of God’s creation is an act of worship.  To ignore those needs is to dishonor the God who made us.”

I’ve spent quite a bit of my life studying the Bible, and I have to confess, I’m baffled as to how I missed that.  I suspect that it’s the Biblical version of “fake news.” Call it “fake Good News.”

Even if it is fictional, though, I’m happy to hear that she believes that we dishonor God when we refuse to administer to the needs of God’s creations.  Since babies are unquestionably one of God’s greatest creations, I assume this means she will support a bill to ban late-term abortions and not providing medical care to babies born alive during abortion procedures.

If she doesn’t, then I’ll have to assume that she is, as it says somewhere in Deuteronomy, a “liar, liar, pants on fire.”

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Thomas Wenndt

02/06/2019 09:26 PM

I wasn't aware that ANYONE bothered to watch the Democrat response to the SOTU speech, including Democrats. I guess I was wrong - nice to know she had an audience of at least one.

• Sharon Barry

02/06/2019 09:25 PM

Thanks for making me laugh at the news instead of crying or screaming.

• Sharon Barry

02/06/2019 09:24 PM

Thanks for making me laugh at the news instead of crying or screaming.

• David Byers

02/06/2019 09:20 PM

I love your comment about the Pelosi's favorite Bible quote as being "Fake Good News"

• Paul Kern

02/06/2019 09:08 PM

I am not surprised that the Marxists have come out in anger. The SOTUS speech uncovered the holes they hide in and rxposed the lies. I believe this is a turning point for we who call ourselves Christians. Be like Joshua who drew the line ine in the sand for God's people. Do we stand on God's side or Satan's.

• Toni DeFronzo

02/06/2019 08:48 PM

President Trump’s STOU address was the best that I can remember—I have seen many. Pelosi obviously had a difficult time, staying in her skin. Schumer and Sanders assumed the demeanor of 15 y/o boys, who were not getting their way and wanted to make sure that the whole world knew!!! How childish so many looked to the world.

• Michael Murphy

02/06/2019 08:42 PM

Pelosi quoting a bible verse has that peculiar affect of making you laugh and cringe at the same time. It is only a matter of time before she throws out the other verse that is so difficult to find,"God helps those who help themselves". When I hear a Christian spout that as a verse I tell them to go look for it in Hezekiah: 4, that's always good for a laugh when they attempt it.

• Mary Regan Mc Neil

02/06/2019 08:29 PM

I am almost 79 years old Governor and I read your comments everyday. You keep me informed, I appreciate your writing sense of humor and writing style.
    Mary

• Ellie Lane

02/06/2019 08:20 PM

You are Hilarious! Your description of the democrat commentary is just perfect. Amazing that smart educated people can't see the analogy between putting children in "cages" and placing them in "dumpsters." One thing that amazes me is the level of profanity in this generation of lawmakers. Who would ever have thought that we would sink this low in our highest offices? We are truly in the end stages of moral decay. I pray the President is correct when he says that America will never be socialist!

• Renata E. Melone

02/06/2019 07:38 PM

In my humble opinion I believe the President gave one of the best speeches since becoming President. He was calm, gave reference to those against him in a clever manner. Nancy's behavior was not what the Speaker of the House should have behaved, but then, I expected much worse. Surprised the 'ladies in white' (wonder what the men thought about that in the House) managed to applaud a couple of issues. The rebuttal by Ms. Abrams was what I thought it would be. Since we all know the House will not be fore any border security, I am confident that the President will find the funds elsewhere without shutting down the government or hounding the House for it. I never underestimate our President. He is a shrewd businessman and did not accomplish what he has in his personal life by always complaining. He has taught the conservatives in Washington that this is the time to get off their butts and fight for what is right for the American people.
    Thank you Guv for all your information and insight to the news. God continue to bless you and your daughter who really has a tough assignment and is doing a wonderful job, with the help of God!

• Venita Kelley

02/06/2019 07:23 PM

Your comments are a daily highlight in my day

• Bernard J Fleury

02/06/2019 07:18 PM

When will we start using settled biological science that asserts that human life begins at conception when the fetus has his/her's unique DNA? Playing around with date of viability keeps changing as our medical care continues to shorten the length of gestation required for survival out side the womb.
    Apostolic Christian churches have taught from the beginning that our parents supplied our bodies and God himself makes each of us a unique human being by infusing in each of our bodies a Spiritual soul.

• John Dews

02/06/2019 07:05 PM

Governor, I listened to a bit of the Democratic response from Stacy Abrams, and like you, was moved by her personal story. I turned it off when she quickly turned toxic with reference to the Shutdown, and Trump leveraging the furloughed federal employees as pawns.

Thanks for absolving me of any sense of loss with your description of the balance of her remarks.

Until opposing parties agree to approach our challenges with honesty, I don’t have much hope for change. The hypocrisy and dishonesty of our leaders it the problem.

I love your writing and hope you’ll continue. Your perspective and integrity are refreshing.

John Dews
    Hot Springs, AR

• Robert R Damaske

02/06/2019 06:55 PM

LOL, Nope, couldn't find “liar, liar, pants on fire.” in Deuteronomy, try Jeremiah 17. but in this case, we all know it.

• Henry Sherwood

02/06/2019 06:46 PM

Sounds More like Liar, Liar the "demented" house is on fire, burn it down to save the town.

• Sarah Menne

02/06/2019 06:46 PM

I'm still chuckling from your hilarious comments from Deuteronomy ("Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire"). I don't know what we'd do without your enlightening and truthful info combined with your creative quips that make us find joy and laughter in situations that might otherwise trouble us. You're one of a kind and we love you. Keep it up. And tell your lovely daughter that we love her too! We are all so very proud of both of you (and encouraged by both of you)!

• Lisa Ford

02/06/2019 06:31 PM

Another statement from Pelosi, that causes us to scratch our heads. But this one is from Sirach 21:26, it's in her Catholic Bible, if she has one. It's for her and others. "Fools' thoughts are in their mouths, wise men's words are in their hearts."
    Selah

• Joan Logan

02/06/2019 06:25 PM

I thought President Trump's speech was one of the best I have ever heard. Usually, I start to tune out. Too bad we have put such grade school acting people in our Congress like Pelosi and Ocasio-Cortez. Their rudeness will be forever remembered.

• Michael Hutch

02/06/2019 06:24 PM

Did you really give an interview with Rick Mercer, while Governor around 1996-2007, admiring Canada for their Igloo Capital?

• Richard Cole

02/06/2019 06:18 PM

The NY Times apparently published a fact finding sheet on the President's speech. I wish someone would "fact find" the NY Times on that. I don't know where I can get the true facts these days and that makes for confusion. Maybe you could help on that. I would appreciate it. I don't know that Snopes is reliable either, at least not all the time.
    Thanks,

• Carol A. Fraser

02/06/2019 06:04 PM

There’s so much to respond to in tonight’s message. The godlessness exhibited in this country brings tears. Abrams comment that “In America someone will always come for you when you’re in trouble” is unbelievable. Who is coming to help the unborn children? Who is coming to help victims of crime? Who is coming to help the policemen who put their lives on the line every day and are shot by thugs, druggies, or people who think they have nothing to lose? Who is helping our service members who defend America in hostile places? I cry for my country, but I pray to God that He will find enough good people left to redeem this country.
    Thank you for your work!

• Anna Marie Eie

02/06/2019 05:52 PM

like president Trump YOUR COMMENTS ARE VERY WORTH REMEMBERING IN AN ENVIROMENT OF THE MEDIAS MAIN THEME IS TO REFUSE TO RECOGNIZE THE ACCOMPLISHSMENTS OF THE TRUMP AGENDA BECAUSE HE DEFEATED HILLARY Clinton/

• MICHAEL A PELOQUIN

02/06/2019 05:32 PM

Please keep up your daily analysis, much appreciated!

• Audrey Skarness

02/06/2019 05:29 PM

All politicians please read...in the Bible Romans 13:1-4.

• Jamie Goddard

02/06/2019 05:24 PM

Didn’t you offer to give Nancy a training class on how to keep her closed mouth still? Did she decide not to show?
    Keep up the great evening editions.

Evening Edition - February 6

February 6, 2019

----------------------------------

What is the Spanish word for “swine”?

-----------------------------------

-----------------------------------

----------------------------

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Thomas Wenndt

02/06/2019 09:26 PM

• Sharon Barry

02/06/2019 09:25 PM

Thanks for making me laugh at the news instead of crying or screaming.

• Sharon Barry

02/06/2019 09:24 PM

Thanks for making me laugh at the news instead of crying or screaming.

• David Byers

02/06/2019 06:04 PM

Thank you for your work!

• Anna Marie Eie

02/06/2019 05:52 PM

• MICHAEL A PELOQUIN

02/06/2019 05:32 PM

Please keep up your daily analysis, much appreciated!

• Audrey Skarness

02/06/2019 05:29 PM

All politicians please read...in the Bible Romans 13:1-4.

• Jamie Goddard

02/06/2019 05:24 PM

Keep up the great evening editions.

Evening Edition - February 6

February 6, 2019

----------------------------------

What is the Spanish word for “swine”?

-----------------------------------

-----------------------------------

----------------------------

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Thomas Wenndt

02/06/2019 09:26 PM

• Sharon Barry

02/06/2019 09:25 PM

Thanks for making me laugh at the news instead of crying or screaming.

• Sharon Barry

02/06/2019 09:24 PM

Thanks for making me laugh at the news instead of crying or screaming.

• David Byers

02/06/2019 06:04 PM

Thank you for your work!

• Anna Marie Eie

02/06/2019 05:52 PM

• MICHAEL A PELOQUIN

02/06/2019 05:32 PM

Please keep up your daily analysis, much appreciated!

• Audrey Skarness

02/06/2019 05:29 PM

All politicians please read...in the Bible Romans 13:1-4.

• Jamie Goddard

02/06/2019 05:24 PM

Keep up the great evening editions.