Ainsworth: VOGUE trashes Christmas portrait of First Couple

December 20, 2018

The “progressive” New Yawk-ish elites at VOGUE magazine have done it again.  In the spirit of Christmas, they're running a story headlined “What’s Up With This Year’s Surreal White House Portrait,” slamming not just the Trumps’ official Christmas portrait, but them personally, as a couple.

First, in case you haven’t seen the portrait, let me say that it is beautiful.  The President wears a classic tux, and Melania shimmers in an elegant white dress with high neck and long fitted sleeves.  The background is a hall in the White House lined with traditional pine trees decorated in all-red ornaments and thousands of tiny white lights.  Classic.  It’s really stunning.

If Barack and Michelle had been pictured in exactly the same way, the editors at VOGUE would be falling to their knees in praise and writing epic poems to the portrait’s rapturous beauty.  But with Donald and Melania, they are relentless in their petty, hyper-partisan criticism.

“The optics of the annual holiday photo have a certain surreal quality,” they write (there’s no byline), going on to say that the FLOTUS and POTUS look “almost like cardboard cutouts of themselves.”  And it seems odd to them that the Trumps would be posing with big smiles, considering all the indictments that have taken place this year (never mind that none of them have anything to do with Trump and Russia), and that their “flagrantly fraudulent charity organization” is being dissolved.  Wow.

(I’m sure if this portrait were of Hillary and Bill, the editors at VOGUE would be taking the opportunity to rail about the obvious pay-to-play at the Clinton Global Initiative.  Of course they would.)

They even snark at the President and First Lady holding hands in the portrait, saying that this is “famously out of character for them.”

The editors say they were so disturbed by the portrait that they actually brought in their art experts to better understand why the it felt so “strangely off.”  If they really want to know, I could tell them right now:  it’s because they viscerally hate the President and First Lady.

If the First Couple had NOT been smiling, it would have been, “No wonder they look so grim, with all the indictments coming down.”  If the First Couple had NOT been holding hands, it would have been, “See, they don’t really even like each other.”  Whatever they do will be slammed.

The editors note that this portrait doesn’t have the blood-red trees seen in Melania’s Christmas video; never mind that those were just one part of the overall White House decorating scheme.  No doubt they’ve referenced the red trees just so they have a lead-in to a completely out-of-place remark about “The Handmaid’s Tale.”  “Handmaid’s Tale” references are really getting old.

They wonder why the First Couple look like “wax statues.”  Their resident experts say it’s the lighting, which is “very overdone” and makes it look as though they’re “competing with their decorations.”

The piece goes on with more snarky comments, ending with a reference to “former Trump White House associates falling like snowflakes on a winter day in the Mueller investigation.”  The President and First Lady are trying to keep spirits bright, they say; that’s why this picture is “wildly sunny.”

I am so sick of this kind of garbage.  That’s why I will never, ever subscribe to a magazine that fills its pages with uninformed political tripe, even if they offer to send me a “professional subscription” for a pittance or even for free.  I don’t want to add to their circulation figures, even by one.  The publishing industry is going through a challenging time, to be sure, but I hope if anything has to go, it’s the leftist “bubble” publications targeting women.  “Female empowerment,” my eye; the people who publish these magazines would eagerly dis-empower any woman who opposes them politically.

But I do happen to encounter these magazines at the beauty salon, and since I am there fairly frequently in my eternal quest for loveliness, I see a lot of what is in them.  I look at them in the name of research and am always dismayed by what I see.  During my last visit, I picked up an issue of VOGUE from November, which, of course, came out before the midterms.  I wanted to see what these magazines were saying in the weeks leading up to that election.

The big feature article, entitled “Scenes from a Revolution,” is about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.  It features an almost two-page spread photo of AO-C, shot by photographer-to-the-stars Annie Leibovitz, who also takes to the streets to photograph her campaigning.  Since AO-C had won the Democratic primary in New York, she was already considered a shoo-in.  Alexandria, in all black, lounges in an office chair in her sepia-toned Bronx apartment, with her live-in boyfriend Riley partially seen off to the left.  Some papers and her glasses are on a nearby table.  The entire composition is in black, sepia-gold and gray.  She’s leaning in and gazing contentedly into the camera, her head resting in her hand.

Notice that even though I disagree strongly with her political views, I did not get snarky in describing the portrait.  I can’t resist mentioning, though, that Vogue tells me her sweater is by Victor Glemaud.  I don’t know who Victor Glemaud is, but I’m always amused by socialists wearing designer names.  In the guide at the back of the magazine, I see the cardigan she wears sells for $495.  The top underneath is $395.  Her jeans cost $225.  So this socialist is hanging around her apartment in a casual black outfit that costs $1,115.  Plus tax.  In her socialist utopia, she’ll have to be part of the ruling elite to be able to afford that --- or any of the designer clothes pictured in VOGUE.

The subhead reads:  “As young women on the political left storm the gates of government, Irina Aleksander reports on a game-changing election and the progressive movement’s new star, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.”

If I start quoting extensively from this piece, you are going to get sick.  (I get sick so you don’t have to!)  It is absolutely as fawning as you imagine it might be.  I’ll give you one tiny sampling:  When asked why establishment politicians are so spooked by her, she says, “I think we’re scared of things we’re not familiar with, that show power.  If a spaceship landed in your backyard, it’s like ‘What the f--- is that?  Is it going to hurt me?’”

Yes, they have to quote her saying the f-word, which is obligatory even for politicians now, at least on the left.  And I would add that her analogy is appropriate in a way, because even with her degree from Boston University, she has about as much knowledge of economics as someone who just stepped out of a spaceship.  Perhaps less.  And, yes, her ideology will hurt you.

Just in general, from looking at these magazines, I see the message of “female empowerment” being undercut by photography featuring female bondage, cruel shoes, crotch shots and waif-like anorexics.  And have you noticed that some high-fashion models look like androgynous genetic experiments that went a little bit haywire?  But I digress.

In another part of the magazine, a tribute by Bette Midler to her longtime friend, designer Michael Kors, features a dramatic full-length portrait of Michelle Obama wearing a long black gown complete with train; this photo had first appeared in VOGUE in 2013, while Michelle was First Lady.  Her gown is by Michael Kors.  Photography by...Annie Leibovitz, of course.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

More NYT Fake News

NBC keeps digging

• Kathy Jacobs

12/20/2018 05:16 PM

Well done. I believe in responding to the Left's snark with snark of my own...and yours! I have the time and the desire to fight back in this way. I use my Twitter account to respond to the deranged Trump syndrome fools. BTW, check out Luis Gutierrez's latest rant from his bizarro world about the border. I Tweeted him 7 years of Chicago shootings statistics from the site Hey Jackass and asked him if he was upset over these incidents. God bless you, Governor.

• Jean Hodge

12/20/2018 04:47 PM

Ugh, ugh, and ugh. Hope these publishers don't depend on people like me in "flyover country", as they will never extract a dime from me again.

• Lena Crandell

12/20/2018 04:33 PM

Sadly doesn't surprise me. Steady flow of hatred from the Left. Even around the holidays. Bah Humbug!!! Pretty sick if you ask me.

• Cindy Wermske

12/20/2018 04:28 PM

I’m disappointed to see you still advertise for the CBD Oil. That company sells under (at least) 3 different company names and phone numbers, advertised a FREE bottle for $5.99 shipping. A nano second after they had my debit card # they hit me for $140.80 and signed me up for a monthly subscription. It’s no one I’d ever connect to you, Gov. Huckabee. It’s taking forever to get this worked out through my bank. FYI

• Linda Walton

12/20/2018 04:02 PM

Great article. Such a beautiful picture, with such class. Merry Christmas!!

• Carol Bullis

12/20/2018 03:31 PM

I do hope that VOGUE will soon be completely out of vogue!

• Sandra Griffiths

12/20/2018 02:55 PM

I hope people realize that all of the snark from the left is not just aimed at President and Mrs. Trump. It is pure hatred of everything Republican or conservative. If President Trump had run as a Democrat, they would have swooned all over him. Of course, he would have lost my vote, so thank God President Trump is a Republican. I don’t watch or read anything coming out of the left-wing media. Call it a boycott, but it is just plain disinterest.

• Gretchen

12/20/2018 02:08 PM

Many years ago I picked up a VOGUE and thumbed through it. My reaction was identical to yours. We finally have a beautiful caring first couple in the White House who are passionate about the American people. Certainly unlike the golf playing former prez and got her bangs cut, let the children eat tasteless lunches, former first wife. I can't call her a lady because she can't hold a candle to Melania. President and Mrs. Trump have more class in their little fingers than those two have in their entire bodies. I'm sorry, I'm so exhausted by the hypocrisy.

• Samuel Smith

12/20/2018 01:57 PM

The only thing that can be said about Vogue magazine and others like is they are owned by the devil!

• Nancy Hurst

12/20/2018 01:55 PM

One more reason why I do not waste my money on magazines, print or online.

• Alex Hagemann

12/20/2018 01:47 PM

Gov. Huckabee~
    I too am sick and tired of hearing all the "Trash Talk" about President Trump and his Beautiful Wife. Loved the White House Portrait! I just talked to a dear friend in Calif, and she's one of the Trash Talkers" of President Trump. But I told her to shut up and almost hung up on her. Says he's made the World/Country 10 times worse than Obama has and blah, blah, blah. I've seen where he has done more for the Country in less time than Obama ever did in his 8 yrs. Back then (on a T-shirt) "We had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash, and Bob Hope." Now We have Obama, No Cash, And No Hope". But now, We have Cash and we have Hope with Trump! I got the best COLA raise for my S.S. since President Trump. Remember we got 2 yrs of 0 raise with Obama. California should change their State's Motto from the "Golden State" to the "Fruits, Nuts, and Flakes" State! Keep up the great work Gov.
    arizonaalex.

• Rick Schramm

12/20/2018 01:46 PM

This is about president Trump trying to get $5billion for the border wall. Consider how Obama found 150 billion to give to Iran. Where did Obama find that money? Could it be that it came from the $200 billion or so that he set for the "shovel ready" infrastructure jobs that were supposed stimulate the economy. Later he joked about how the jobs were not as shovel ready as he thought. Should be investigated.

• Rick Schramm

12/20/2018 01:45 PM

• Robbie Mize

12/20/2018 01:40 PM

I have tried to imagine if I were in Trumps' shoes if I would not just say I have done everything I could to get this ship upright but I really don't need anymore of your snarky comments, your continuous lies , and your swamp creatures taking over, I am going home and taking my beautiful family and you can figure out what you can do better. If it goes under, I will be somewhere watching you while you scream for someone to save you. But it won't be me. I am done!

• Susannah Cruz

12/20/2018 01:33 PM

Beautiful photo, Shame on Vogue to spew their trash. The Trumps are wonderfully shown in a Modest and Beautiful display of the White House.

• Brenda Eveld

12/20/2018 01:33 PM

Of course they bash the pic. They can't allow someone to make it about Christmas (background) and where it is at. It Must be just about the person as in close up....liberal vanity full blown.

Ainsworth: VOGUE trashes Christmas portrait of First Couple

December 20, 2018

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

More NYT Fake News

NBC keeps digging

• Kathy Jacobs

12/20/2018 05:16 PM

• Jean Hodge

12/20/2018 04:47 PM

• Lena Crandell

12/20/2018 04:33 PM

• Cindy Wermske

12/20/2018 04:28 PM

• Linda Walton

12/20/2018 04:02 PM

Great article. Such a beautiful picture, with such class. Merry Christmas!!

• Carol Bullis

12/20/2018 03:31 PM

I do hope that VOGUE will soon be completely out of vogue!

• Sandra Griffiths

12/20/2018 02:55 PM

• Gretchen

12/20/2018 02:08 PM

• Samuel Smith

12/20/2018 01:57 PM

• Nancy Hurst

12/20/2018 01:55 PM

One more reason why I do not waste my money on magazines, print or online.

• Alex Hagemann

• Susannah Cruz

12/20/2018 01:33 PM

• Brenda Eveld

12/20/2018 01:33 PM

Ainsworth: VOGUE trashes Christmas portrait of First Couple

December 20, 2018

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

More NYT Fake News

NBC keeps digging

• Kathy Jacobs

12/20/2018 05:16 PM

• Jean Hodge

12/20/2018 04:47 PM

• Lena Crandell

12/20/2018 04:33 PM

• Cindy Wermske

12/20/2018 04:28 PM

• Linda Walton

12/20/2018 04:02 PM

Great article. Such a beautiful picture, with such class. Merry Christmas!!

• Carol Bullis

12/20/2018 03:31 PM

I do hope that VOGUE will soon be completely out of vogue!

• Sandra Griffiths

12/20/2018 02:55 PM

• Gretchen

12/20/2018 02:08 PM

• Samuel Smith

12/20/2018 01:57 PM

• Nancy Hurst

12/20/2018 01:55 PM

One more reason why I do not waste my money on magazines, print or online.

• Alex Hagemann