September 18, 2018

In this time of anonymous op-eds, it was tempting for me to write this without putting my name to it, but it would be unfortunate to see the message diluted with accusations of “Coward!”  My work as a staff writer typically does not carry my byline, and there’s a certain freedom in that.  I have many friends on both sides of the political aisle and can generally predict what the reactions will be to what I say or write.  I have tried to keep my online presence as politics-free as possible, even declining friendship requests from people whose pages are relentlessly and hatefully political.  But what is happening with the Kavanaugh vote and the total politicization of the #MeToo movement is just the last straw for me when it comes to left-wing politics, and it’s time to speak out.

It’s gotten to the point that, thanks to the left, I’m embarrassed to be female.

Let me preface this by explaining that I have an unusually varied professional background, embracing both the entertainment world –- music, comedy, theater, radio, journalism –- and also the corporate world.  I even spent some time in Hollywood pursuing film work, which I do not recommend.  Without a doubt, the abundant stories of sexism and predatory behavior are real and have existed since long before any of us were born.  I know what it’s like to have to humor men who have held the key to that next promotion or part and how to gracefully but firmly shut my hotel room door at a corporate conference to keep the boss from following me inside.  I know what it’s like to walk into a meeting room full of men, some of whom are checking me out, and think, “What fresh hell is this?”

So does all this stuff really happen?  At the risk of sounding like Sarah Palin, “You betcha!”  And it’s gratifying to see the stories coming out.  (I especially appreciated Linda Bloodworth-Thomason’s firsthand account of the way sexism and misogyny can destroy a woman’s career in Hollywood, but then I became confused by the vague recollection that she was a longtime Friend Of Bill, who is responsible for bringing illicit sex with underlings right into the White House.  It would be great to have a long lunch with her and discuss this.  Call me, Linda!)  But the problem now is that politics has ruined #MeToo.

It was inevitable that at precisely this point in Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation process, the women (in this case, woman) would emerge.  This tactic has become the magic bullet to take out candidates and nominees who don’t lean sufficiently left on key issues, particularly abortion.  Sometimes the women appear, perform their function, and then essentially disappear back into the void.  Call me cynical, but in Kavanaugh’s case, the politically expedient timing of this development, thanks to the deliberate delay by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, is enough to discredit the whole thing.  Sure, let Ms. Ford share her story, but it should have been shared in July, when it could have been carefully assessed.  We know what this is, and I’m not going to spend my time here making that case.  None of us can say with certainty what did or did not happen to Ms. Ford 36 years ago, when they were all kids in high school, but the politics behind this is becoming clearer with each passing hour.  WE KNOW.

So you on the left, spare me your concern for women.  You use women for political purposes, just as surely as many powerful men use women for sexual purposes.  If you really cared about what happened to women, Juanita Broaddrick’s detailed and corroborated story about being raped by then-Arkansas Attorney General Bill Clinton would not have been shoved to the back pages and essentially dismissed by most in the media for decades.  Just give me a break.

The #MeToo movement showed some potential at first for calling attention to pervasive sexism, but it has been ruined by “p***” hats, mindless calls to “resist,” and demands that absolutely every woman is to be believed.  Isn’t it obvious that saying every woman is to be believed is just as ridiculous as saying every man is to be believed?  I’ve had enough of these outrageous double standards.

Maybe in a few decades, people will have regained their sanity and will look back on this time with laughter and derision, the way we look back on the decade of the ‘70s with its lime green shag carpeting---in bathrooms, yet.  (Well, a few bathrooms.  I digress.)  They’ll see it as an odd period when politics “jumped the shark” and people just went bat-dirt crazy, with “safe spaces,” p-hats, wildly unequal justice, and 57 different genders.  At the risk of sounding like Cher in MOONSTRUCK, I'd like to figuratively slap you on the cheek and yell, "Snap out of it!!"

Perhaps in the future they’ll blame President Trump for all this, as many do now, but they shouldn't.  They should put the blame squarely on those of you who have gone off the rails in your reaction to him.  If we’re lucky, the President will go down in history with some pretty solid accomplishments --- such as some great Supreme Court appointments --- but you will be remembered for having completely lost your minds.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Shauna Dickerson

09/22/2018 12:12 PM

If women have been attacked then they must find the courage to report it right away. Document anything and as much as possible so that you will be believed. If it takes some years of counseling, then do that (no hypnotism). Tell someone now, and don't wait till some opportune time in the future. Men have a right to the truth as much as women do. It's a two way street.

• Robert Burrell

09/22/2018 11:39 AM

You are a very talented lady, you hit the nail on the head . I feel sorry for anyone , female or male that are abused , I don't remember any time that I physically abused my lovely wife but I regretfully remember times I have verbally abused her many years ago . been married for 47 years but it took me awhile to grow up . For a long time now I have realized how important she is and how great of a partner she is , not just my wife but my life.
    I however have no respect for people who make false claims , don't know if Ms ford story is true or even when she gave the letter to Ms Fienstein but to make a statement and not want to get to the bottom of it is very suspicious , like you said just trying to push the vote down the road. Thank you . Also like your comment 57 genders , reminds of Obama's 57 states , my brother told me the Muslem's have 57 states

• Virginia Ray

09/22/2018 11:28 AM

I totally agree. I absolutely resent the fact that anyone would believe that all women agree with the craziness of SOME women. They do not represent my thinking.

• BARBARA CARTER

09/22/2018 10:48 AM

Look at the writings on memory by the Swiss Psychologist, Jean Piaget- and you will know that the story Ford is saying may well have never happened:

The Swiss psychologist, Jean Piaget, studied memory. This applies to what is going on today- here is what he wrote:
    Piaget's Memory

Piaget (1951) in his book Play, Dreams and Imitation in Childhood, provides a provocative example of what seems to be a reconstructed memory based on postevent suggestion. Piaget had a memory for being kidnapped at age 2 which he maintained until he learned that it was false when he was fifteen. It turned out that Piaget's nanny had concocted the whole story of the kidnapping in order to get a reward. What's striking about Piaget's memory is the vividness of it. The memory contained vivid visual imagery. Piaget writes,

"I can still see, most clearly, the following scene, in which I believed until I was about fifteen. I was sitting in my pram, which my nurse was pushing in the Champs Elysees, when a man tried to kidnap me. I was held in by the strap fastened round me while my nurse bravely tried to stand between me and the thief. She received various scratches and I can still see vaguely those on her face. Then a crowd gathered, a policeman with a cloak and a white baton came up, and the man took to his heels. I can still see the whole scene, and can even place it near the tube station. [p. 188]"
    Piaget himself accounted for this as a reconstruction and added, "Many real memories are doubtless of the same order."

• Eva Andrews

09/22/2018 10:41 AM

Right on! However, let them continue to be crazy, as it will ensure their defeat in the next election.

• Paul T. Riemar

09/22/2018 10:41 AM

I greatly fear what is happening to our country. The left is becoming more radical than ever. Their playbook is everything and anything is permissible. This is evident by what is happening to Judge Kavanuagh. At my present age, I won’t live long enough to see the decline of our republic. Thank you for your daily email. Keep writing.
    Paul Riemar

• Sharon Snyder

09/22/2018 10:34 AM

Well said. It is embarrassing and how the people who are fomenting these charges does not see that most of America does not believe them...is beyond me. Especially since she appears to be connected to high ranking Democrats who encourage the chaos for their own political means. Its a national embarrassment that the "other party" pulls out of a rabbit hat any trick they can find to prevent the vote on a very stellar man who has served this nation well for years. He needs to be confirmed and be done with it. Sorry that he's white, middle class, and has a great career in public service to show for his intelligence and grace. Shame on Feinstein, and SHAME on the Democratic party!

• Patti Girardin

09/22/2018 10:31 AM

Thank you so much for your wonderful article. I am a 68 year old female and I, too, am embarrased. I don’t believe Ford’s story and feel that it is definitely a Dem strategy to destroy Trump. The women in the p hats are so ridiculous and are hurting the female image. They would have been bra-burners in the sixties. They need to get on with their lives. Men will never take them seriously and neither do I. I feel for Judge Kavanaugh and his family. This must be so hurtful and scary for his children. The Democrats have no shame. Republicans had to put up with eight years of Obama’s plan to destroy our country, but we never carried on the way the Democrats are now.

• Margi Popp

09/22/2018 10:24 AM

What a helpless and fearful feeling what is currently taking place. Call it as it is, stalling the Supreme Court Process for adding Brett Kavanaugh to the bench. Move forward on the vote and eliminate the trouble makers with "You are fired".

• Janet Griffin

09/22/2018 10:14 AM

Thank you, Laura, for stating plainly how I and so many other women feel about this false accusation on Judge Kavanaugh. It is just another in the long list of means to delay the voting on the Judge. I pray this ends soon, whether she “testifies” or not. If she isn’t there on Londay, I say have the vote and MOVE ON!! Just do it!!

• Nancy Losew

09/22/2018 09:58 AM

Thank you so much for speaking for, might I say a major portion of the female population ! Your words spoke my thought and feelings about the whole #MeToo movement precisely.

• Shawn Hegarty

09/22/2018 09:04 AM

Thank you. Balance and acknowledgement of hypocrisy.

• Don Chenault

09/22/2018 08:28 AM

GREAT!!! article... probably the opinion of millions of sane Americans

• Lois Saunders

09/22/2018 06:45 AM

I agree with you!! The left is out of control!! We all need to speak up for Kavanaugh because if we don't it is will only get worse!!!

• Karen Startz

09/22/2018 03:09 AM

I feel exactly the way you do.

• Don Crede

09/22/2018 01:10 AM

An investigation would look at all circumstances. We are very short of details of what happened 36 years ago. But, there are current actions that can be considered. There is the letter which started the actions. There were social media posts, I understand that the content has been deleted. Why? She is also on trial, justifying her claims. There are too many the judge should be confirmed and then an investigation can be conducted in a non political environment.

• Marjorie Yandell

09/21/2018 10:28 PM

Thank you for this article. As a female, I feel that I am being used. Much as abuse is still thought of as being only physical, we are being abused by politicians to advance an agenda and it is not seen by the world. I do not like being led to the slaughter, and yet we are, as we march, and protest, scream, and wear our hats, and curse, and take our children along to witness our bravery. I am embarrassed by these actions. Again, thank you for what you have written. Maybe one woman can be persuaded that there is a better way, that women are better than to be used to bring a man down.

• Carla Lois

09/21/2018 10:04 PM

EXACTLY!!! EXACTLY!!!

• Sam Ray Beggs

09/21/2018 08:29 PM

EXECELLENT!!!! Correct on every single point and so well written. I also am EMBARRASSED to be a woman and so angry with the left for using us and making us look as you said, bat dirt crazy. Thank you for putting your thoughts and opinion out there.

• Margie Kloth

09/21/2018 08:03 PM

Thank you, Laura, for your thought-provoking, educated, thorough comments on the shameful situation going on towards Judge Kavanaugh. Am praying that this will soon be behind the shameful media, who laps up on trash like this. They don't seem to care or consider the Judge's wife or 2 sweet daughters; that is shameful too!

• Judi

09/21/2018 05:51 PM

Kudos on your comments...I am a widowed rural living gal.."deplorable" if you will...who is soooo fed up with all of this hoopla that screams "scam"..and yet the left seems to think we are deaf, blind and stupid...so sad..I love my President..I/we put up with BO for 8 yrs..with none of the "other side" (Rep) putting on show after show of totally disgusting "see me" crap...we suffered in silence..waiting for the time to get a decent man in the WH..finally it came..with Gods help and Blessings and this poor man has endured everything..but with grace and charm..he knows God is with him..as so many of us do..prayer is the only way..even for the sick Left..they need it the most..do they realize one day they will stand before our Maker??? be judged by Him??? well its their fate..my prayers are for this all to fall apart..and soon..altho I know the left will never give up..never work together to make things better..altho Pres. Trump has done a great job so far..thanks for your "right on" opinion.. you certainly have my support...Sister in Christ...jlr

• Suzanne Utts

09/21/2018 05:09 PM

This was great! A big "THANK YOU FOR SPEAKING OUT FOR US!"

• Ruth Heinz

09/21/2018 01:31 PM

I absolutely agree with her. I have memories of the Clarence Thomas trial by liberals when he was being considered, as well as Robert Bork. Both decent men and excellent jurists.

The Senate needs to get on with business, and Feinstein, who withheld (and continues to withhold) the letter from Ford should be disciplined. Heck, given the boot! Judge Kavanaugh should be confirmed, or denied, without this Democrat led character assassination attempt continuing.

• Skip Ivison

09/21/2018 08:02 AM

Great article. Thanks for showing bravery by writing this.

• Diane Miller

09/21/2018 01:17 AM

I never leave comments, but Laura Ainsworth article was so fantastic I just had to say so! The truth told so creatively. Skillfully written. Loved it.

September 18, 2018

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Shauna Dickerson

• Janet Griffin

09/22/2018 10:14 AM

• Nancy Losew

09/22/2018 09:58 AM

• Shawn Hegarty

09/22/2018 09:04 AM

Thank you. Balance and acknowledgement of hypocrisy.

• Don Chenault

09/22/2018 08:28 AM

GREAT!!! article... probably the opinion of millions of sane Americans

• Lois Saunders

09/22/2018 06:45 AM

• Karen Startz

09/22/2018 03:09 AM

I feel exactly the way you do.

• Don Crede

• Margie Kloth

09/21/2018 08:03 PM

• Judi

09/21/2018 05:51 PM

• Suzanne Utts

09/21/2018 05:09 PM

This was great! A big "THANK YOU FOR SPEAKING OUT FOR US!"

• Ruth Heinz

09/21/2018 01:31 PM

• Skip Ivison

09/21/2018 08:02 AM

Great article. Thanks for showing bravery by writing this.

• Diane Miller