Evening Edition - October 15

5 minute read

October 15, 2020 |

THE "STREISAND EFFECT"

I know that many of my readers aren’t that hep to Internet slang, so let me explain a term you might be hearing a lot this week: “The Streisand Effect.” It refers to a time early in the Internet era when someone took an aerial photo of Barbra Streisand’s mansion and posted it online. She made a fuss over it being an invasion of her privacy (which it probably was), but she created so much publicity that many people searched for and saw the photo who otherwise never would’ve heard about it.

“The Streisand Effect” is what happens when the attempt to suppress a story only serves to draw even more attention to it. And that’s what’s happened with Twitter and Facebook’s attempts to block anyone from sharing, linking to or discussing the New York Post’s article about Hunter Biden’s laptop containing emails that appear to disprove his father Joe’s adamant denials that he ever discussed Hunter’s foreign business deals with him. The emails include a letter from a top adviser to the Ukrainian energy company Burisma, thanking Hunter for setting up the meeting with his dad. The Biden campaign denies that the meeting was on his official calendar. That, I believe.

That story of alleged lies and influence peddling by a top Presidential candidate would be 24/7 news if it were Trump, but Twitter and Facebook are trying to censor any discussion of it, despite it being of importance to voters and from a reputable news source. They even locked out the White House press secretary for sharing the story. Now do you understand why I use so many George Orwell “1984” references?

This has backfired bigly, although possibly in a positive way, by turning a spotlight not only on the story itself, but on the blatantly politicized efforts to censor and control speech by social media giants. They enjoy protection from lawsuits only because they are supposed to act as neutral platforms, not editors who control the content of their sites. But take a look at the two men responsible for overseeing Twitter and Facebook’s posting standards. Their resumes and tweets are about as nonpartisan as Hillary Clinton’s.

Even liberal reporter Michael Tracey called Twitter and Facebook’s behavior “creepy and authoritarian.”

ENFORCE SECTION 230

I think it’s long past time either to enforce that Section 230 protection of the Communications Act or revoke it. The law won’t be rewritten as long as Democrats hold the House (the guy who’s winning the poker game won’t complain about the deck being stacked.) But there are other remedies, including action by the Justice Department, declaring them public utilities, civil lawsuits and of course, a Senate investigation. Sen. Ted Cruz has already fired off a letter to the heads of Facebook and Twitter, demanding that they answer a series of tough questions about the gaping difference between the ways they handle negative stories about the two candidates.

For instance, the feeble excuse for all this censorship is that the evidence in the Post story was “hacked.” First of all, that may not even be the case. It’s data recovered from a computer that the source may have had a legal right to possess…

…and second, have Facebook or Twitter ever blocked an anti-Trump story from trending, just because it was based on leaked (the New York Times Trump tax forms story), hacked, anonymous or just made-up-out-of-thin-air sources?

As the election draws closer, the Silicon Valley limousine leftists are getting more and more blatant in their attempts to control speech online. They’ve gotten away with far too long as they banned conservative individuals, small media outlets and content creators like Prager University. But now they’ve gone too far. By trying to stifle a story this important and censor the New York Post and the White House, they’ve shown the whole world that they’re way too big for their britches and it’s time to cut them down to size.

"SEXUAL PREFERENCE"

Speaking of liberal attempts to control what you say and think, please adjust your Newspeak guides to note that the term “sexual preference” became offensive overnight, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, after Judge Amy Coney Barrett said it and Senate embarrassment Mazie Hirono made a big fuss over it being offensive. Also please make a note that only usages of it after October 14, 2020, are offensive, since it apparently wasn’t offensive when Joe Biden said it in May, or when the gay magazine The Advocate used it on September 25, or the last time the M-W dictionary updated its definitions, which was on September 28th.

TOWNHALL TIME

Tonight, NBC will host a townhall with President Trump at the same time that ABC is airing a townhall with Joe Biden. Liberals in the media and, of course, on social media, are OUTRAGED!!! at NBC for scheduling the Trump townhall opposite Biden. Since this was supposed to be the night of the second debate, they’re railing that Trump should have agreed to debate Biden directly, but he ducked out and now he’s trying to steal his thunder.

Okay, a couple of corrections: Trump did want to debate Biden directly. In fact, he insisted on it and only pulled out because the biased debate commission and the Biden campaign tried to change the agreed-upon rules of the debate and make it a Zoom conference, where they could silence Trump’s microphone. The excuse for this was that he had the coronavirus, but he’s already tested negative so that point is moot.

Second, I understand that they have these gizmos nowadays that actually let you record TV shows and watch them at your convenience. Imagine that! So if you really want to see both townhalls, you can watch Trump live, then fire your DVR or VCR or whatever and watch Biden when you’re ready to fall asleep.

GO VOTE

I know it can be disheartening to keep hearing how Joe Biden is ahead in the polls by double digits (which is the point of those polls, by the way: to dishearten you.) How can that be, when his aides call a lid on the day before “Good Morning America” is over; when he does emerge from his basement, he babbles more baffling word salad than Prof. Irvin Corey (Google him, kids); and when his campaign events draw fewer people than a kale salad food truck in Memphis?

I’ve long warned people not to believe the polls-for-public-consumption (the campaigns have far more accurate insider polls), which tend to be structured not so much to reflect the results of the race as to influence them. So to keep your spirits up, read this article by Keven McCullough with the misleading title, “Signs That Trump Isn’t Going to Win on Nov. 3rd.” They’re actually signs that he’s going to do more than win, he’s going to score a crushing landslide. In fact, the notoriously unreliable polls are the only indication that Biden is leading.

This is great to read, but don’t let it make you complacent. Trump needs every vote to overcome all the Democrats’ dark money, in-kind contributions from the media and social media, and seething Trump hatred ginned up by years of daily lies and slander. He’ll need a win lopsided enough to convince the other side that its long-planned fraud, protests and lawsuits will be futile. So tell every Trump backer you know that their vote is vital, and drive them to the polls if they need a ride.

"THE PLATINUM PLAN"

It’s been revealed that rapper/actor Ice Cube has been working with the Trump Administration to develop “the Platinum Plan,” a plan to bring economic opportunities to African-American communities. The goal is to create 3 million jobs, 500,000 black-owned businesses and institute criminal justice reform and universal school choice. Once again, Trump: Worst...racist...ever!

Interestingly, as recently as March, Ice Cube was talking about wanting to see Trump in handcuffs, and now, he’s open to the possibility of voting for him. What changed? Like many Walkaway Democrats, he got a look at the reality of what the Democrats are offering (or failing to.) Cube had created a plan called the Contract With Black America and both parties contacted him. But the Democrats said they’d address it after the election, while Trump’s people made adjustments to their own plan after talking to him.

That sums up one of the biggest differences between Trump and the Democrats, and I hope one of the reasons why he will attract record black support. He takes action to fix problems while his opponents keep promising to fix the same problems election after election, decade after decade, and never do anything, because that’s how they keep getting reelected. I’m not up on rap slang, but I think that’s called “getting played.”

DAILY BIBLE VERSE

• Shauna dickerson

10/18/2020 02:43 PM

I'm very glad the for the "Striesand Effect", meaning the story about Hunter and Joe has been exploited and exploded so much more because they tried to stop it. Great for America's side.

• Judy Radley

10/17/2020 03:29 PM

Gov. Mike, can you fact check why it costs money for those in high-risk populations, who are also on Medicare, why they are charged over $100.00 to have covid testing? I thought the test kits were sent to states by the federal govt. at no cost, if so, then why do the states, especially New York State, charge those in the high-risk category have to pay to get tested, and also why Medicare does not cover the cost of testing? It sounds extremely suspicious to me. Can you help sort out the facts?

• Gregory Schafer

10/17/2020 01:31 PM

Wanted to ask your opinion. My wife and I have a friend who, every time she posts something on Facebook, has a stalker who pulls up Politifact as a fact check. Politifact always says it's false and then the stalker goes on to say "Why do you post this crap from false sources?" Recently she's pulled that on Hunter Biden laptop story and also said the NY Post was deemed as reputable as the National Enquirer. Just wanted your thoughts. I get tired of the stalker who calls herself "a flaming liberal and proud of it" on her page. This flaming liberal also teaches 1st grade children. Thank you Governor!

• Anca Maria Stancioiu

10/17/2020 12:06 PM

Hello and thank you, Mr. Huckabee, for your precious emails.
    I am Romanian but I am very interested in what is happening in America and in the result of the elections there because, having lived half of my life in communist Romania, I KNOW FIRST HAND how socialists/communist/marxist BASTARDS operate and the devilish means/strategy/tactics they employ to confuse and deceive, but also because the US is the only country STILL capable to keep in check the evil in today's troubled world - I am of course referring to Russia and China. Had I been an American, I would have been a Republican 100% and President Ronald Reagan and Mr. James Baker will forever remain in my heart for having been the two great men able to put Russia in its place and to liberate me and my country from communism. I chose the English language as my profession because of the love I have always felt for America and what this great country has stood for along the years and now, in these times of GREAT DANGER for America, I feel deeply for it and hope to God it will not fall in the hands of socialists/communists/marksists who will ruin it – they are NOT ‘liberals’ or `progressists’ as many people wrongly call them, but downright socialists/communists/marksists and the likes of them have already ruined countries like France or Italy – Russia has paid/trained them well for decades and if they succeed in grabbing the US, this will be THE END of democracy – Russia and China will become the masters of the world. It may surprise you to know HOW INCREDIBLY SIMILAR - mutatis mutandis - with that of the Romanian corrupt/Russia-supported politicians is the American Democrats' strategy/speech – especially Harris and several other black and Hispanic Democrat Congresswomen. For Romanians like me such practices have been well-known for decades because they have been Russia’s standard weapons against democracy in the former communist block, and only the illiterate and the uninformed will fall pray to them. Unfortunately, the education system has been declining not only in Romania but everywhere, including America, for many decades now, producing increasingly more ‘uninformed’ and ‘ill-informed’ and poorly-educated people who are easy targets for such strategies. Russia and China have been making efforts each in its own particular way to undermine the most powerful Western countries and the US is now experiencing what European countries like France or Italy have gone through before. However, if the US ceases to be the guardian of democracy, all hope will be lost for ALL OF US!!! I’m not even sure if ‘4 more years’ for Trump will be enough to change this diabolic trend because, as the demographic structure changes and there are less and less rational, well-advised and well-educated people, voting will become a disaster for democracy… This is why I am VERY MUCH interested in what is happening in the US and why I READ yours and Bill O’Reilly and Tucker Carlson’s comments on the Internet. Thank you and God bless America and US ALL!!!

• Walter Grimm

10/17/2020 03:59 AM

Right on, brother!

• Charles Peoples

10/16/2020 06:42 PM

Mike’s comments about George Orwell’s book “1984” is right on. About a year ago I decided to read that book again because events reminded me of the book that I read decades ago. Even I was shocked because the things he wrote about speech and thought control are actually taking place today. It is getting scarier by the day. Who would have thought a few days ago that Webster would change the meaning of “sexual preference” to describe it as an offensive term?

• Linda Vining

10/16/2020 04:08 PM

Good read. Did I hear correctly, in a separate newscast, that Joe Biden used Air Force 2 on, at least, one or more trips for purposes related to Hunter Biden's business(es)?

• Cathy Pace

10/16/2020 03:22 PM

I would love to know WHY is it always the left that are in charge of the Town Halls and Debates? Who picks them? Look who is going to be doing the questioning on the last debate! All 4 are Trump haters! Seems like a waste of time to me, because they'll be asking Biden easy questions (probably questions he's been in his basement practicing answering) and they'll cut Trump off!

• Benita Lee Richmond

10/16/2020 12:14 PM

Mr. Hukabee, The way you are speaking on behalf of Trump, is so sad. I know you are not blind but I pray that you see Donald Trump for the true devil he is. I Voted for him in 2016 and I prayed for his success but he allowed the power of the office to divide our nation. I am a 61year old bi-racial women. I know first hand when I am being attacked, This man clearly wants our nation divided and you know a house divided will fall. Please stop allowing the devil to use you.

• Lynnette Beecher

10/16/2020 10:43 AM

I couldn't watch Savannah try to crusify Trump last night. It reminded me of standing in front of your mom trying to explain your side of what happened and she won't listen. God Bless President Trump
    How did this happen, in my day Huntley and Brinkley gave the news. Asked questions and left it up to our parents to decide,
    We are farmers, I know most people have NO idea what is happening in our world. We are only 1% of the population. Did you know that in the middle of harvest we are reaching higher prices, because of the China Deal????? Praise God, and President Trump. He knows what we have been through. We can't hang on much longer. But because of what he has done for us, God..... putting this leader before us, maybe we can come out of this.

Mike, what I say is not eloquent , but it is from my heart. I am praying for those in authority.
    Would love to hear back from you. We live in the central Illinois area.

SEE YOU SATURDAY NIGHT!!!!

• muriel reid

10/16/2020 10:39 AM

Governor Huckabee,
    Thank you for getting the truth out there!!!
    God Bless you always.
    muriel reid

• Glen D Singer

10/16/2020 10:32 AM

I AM SO PROUD OF OUR PRESIDENT!!! He took what was supposed to be a “Town Hall Event” turned into a debate by Savannah Guthrie, and made it into a wonderful experience for us!!! He is so articulate and speaks directly to the point, answering questions openly and fearlessly. She was a #1JERK! Seizing the precious time to rant and rave about all the fake stuff that has already been disproved; how rude, crude, and boring of her!! What an incredible performance on his part. He is so personable with all the folks, even though he is being constantly attacked by the media. Love that man!!! Praying for a very decisive win!
    Blessings, Glen Singer

• Michele M. Donovan

10/16/2020 10:14 AM

I am feeling discouraged after this Trump Town Hall. As I have been an avid Trump supporter, I feel that he should have been so much more prepared with answers for the same mud slung repeatedly at him!

• Jerry korba

10/16/2020 10:10 AM

Biden is so creepy watching him is like taking a trip to the twilights zone when Biden talks with an enemy he brings the the taxpayer bank account and sells the country without getting anything in return just like he did with Iran just a master corruption artist

• Phyllis Hamre

10/16/2020 10:05 AM

When is the RNC going to rebut the many Biden TV lies about Trump. Many senior citizens will believe the lie that President Trump is "going to take away their healthcare" and, "will not cover preexisting conditions" and, "will defund your social security". People believe these lies.

• Joseph A Loftus

10/16/2020 09:47 AM

Thanks Mike. and I thank you and your daughter Sarah for your unflagging devotion to the USA. President Trump is not perfect, but those who cast stones deserve what they get. he had billions and could have stayed in his world. instead he has chosen to devote 10% of his lifetime to serving the people of our nation, rather than serve himself as most politicians do. keep up the good work!

• Steven Rauch

10/16/2020 09:47 AM

Whenever it comes down to someone being"OFFENDED" I always refer to my T-Shirt that says
    "JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE OFFENDED, IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE RIGHT!"

• Stephen Russell

10/16/2020 09:30 AM

Townhalls & debates:
    Rigged against President
    Biden gets off
    rigged
    Not fair
    cause more anger to media
    Pres never has his say
    Deny free speech
    I say end debates unless reregulated & enforced

• Leopoldo R Gutierrez

10/16/2020 09:26 AM

Dear Mike, here is another comment to share:
    Not all black people descend from slaves and the ones that do, may as well be thankful that their ancestors were brought here so they can enjoy the benefits of being American and pursue the American dream instead of suffering real starvation, discrimination and slavery in some of the African Continent.
    ALL LIVES MATTER

• marilyn stone

10/16/2020 09:03 AM

I have no platform...so I am asking. Can you put out a poll asking how many people would vote to have Nancy Pelosi impeached as Speaker of the House? Maybe you already have and I missed it. The more I hear her speak the more I doubt her ability to be a person of integrity. She seems to have no regard for the needs of the people. She also deviously avoids answering questions. How can people trust her? Her 25th amendment deal should apply to her! Is she mentally capable of making serious decisions?

• Chris Reile

10/16/2020 08:35 AM

Great commentary! Thanks Mike!

• Frank Remski

10/16/2020 07:25 AM

Don't the silicon valley nuts realize that under COMUNISM they have to send 95% of their pay checks to the CENTRAL GOVERNMENT for redistribution? And that the CENTRAL GOVERNMENT sweeps off a significant percentage to give them the privilege to make that contribution to be welfare of the STATE?
    After all is said and done, that is the fact of life under COMUNISM.

• Jack macdonald

10/16/2020 06:23 AM

Mike, it time to share a primer on economics which is missing. When you tax or fine a corporation it is a pass thru tax. Corporations merely price this into their products so in essence the coonsumers are paying. Why is it that no one points this out? When Biden says he will only tax those earning over $400k, those are the people who have tax accountants to avoid those taxes. Look at Warren Buffet who pays less than his secretary or Trump paying $750. It is the average American who picks up the tab for everything! Has Biden or any one of members of congress ever taken a course in Economics?

• Robert Gauer

10/16/2020 02:37 AM

Your references to Orwell’s “1984“ are, first of all, spot on, And secondly remind me of his remarkable insights. Thanks again. This is why I read your editorials and trash a lot of other stuff.

• Carl Yee

• Judy Radley

10/17/2020 03:29 PM

• Gregory Schafer

10/17/2020 01:31 PM

• Anca Maria Stancioiu

10/17/2020 12:06 PM

Hello and thank you, Mr. Huckabee, for your precious emails.

• Walter Grimm

10/17/2020 03:59 AM

Right on, brother!

• Charles Peoples

10/16/2020 06:42 PM

• Linda Vining

10/16/2020 04:08 PM

• Cathy Pace

10/16/2020 03:22 PM

• Benita Lee Richmond

10/16/2020 12:14 PM

• Lynnette Beecher

10/16/2020 10:43 AM

Would love to hear back from you. We live in the central Illinois area.

SEE YOU SATURDAY NIGHT!!!!

• muriel reid

10/16/2020 10:39 AM

Governor Huckabee,
    Thank you for getting the truth out there!!!
    God Bless you always.

• Phyllis Hamre

10/16/2020 10:05 AM

• Joseph A Loftus

10/16/2020 09:47 AM

• Steven Rauch

10/16/2020 09:47 AM

"JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE OFFENDED, IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE RIGHT!"

• Stephen Russell

Dear Mike, here is another comment to share:
    ALL LIVES MATTER

• marilyn stone

10/16/2020 09:03 AM

• Chris Reile

10/16/2020 08:35 AM

Great commentary! Thanks Mike!

• Frank Remski

10/16/2020 07:25 AM

After all is said and done, that is the fact of life under COMUNISM.

• Jack macdonald

• Judy Radley

10/17/2020 03:29 PM

• Gregory Schafer

10/17/2020 01:31 PM

• Anca Maria Stancioiu

10/17/2020 12:06 PM

Hello and thank you, Mr. Huckabee, for your precious emails.

• Walter Grimm

10/17/2020 03:59 AM

Right on, brother!

• Charles Peoples

10/16/2020 06:42 PM

• Linda Vining

10/16/2020 04:08 PM

• Cathy Pace

10/16/2020 03:22 PM

• Benita Lee Richmond

10/16/2020 12:14 PM

• Lynnette Beecher

10/16/2020 10:43 AM

Would love to hear back from you. We live in the central Illinois area.

SEE YOU SATURDAY NIGHT!!!!

• muriel reid

10/16/2020 10:39 AM

Governor Huckabee,
    Thank you for getting the truth out there!!!
    God Bless you always.

• Phyllis Hamre

10/16/2020 10:05 AM

• Joseph A Loftus

10/16/2020 09:47 AM

• Steven Rauch

10/16/2020 09:47 AM

"JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE OFFENDED, IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE RIGHT!"

• Stephen Russell

Dear Mike, here is another comment to share:
    ALL LIVES MATTER

• marilyn stone

10/16/2020 09:03 AM

• Chris Reile

10/16/2020 08:35 AM

Great commentary! Thanks Mike!

• Frank Remski

10/16/2020 07:25 AM

After all is said and done, that is the fact of life under COMUNISM.

• Jack macdonald