June 25, 2018

I wish I didn’t have to comment on the inexcusably rude treatment of a Virginia restaurant owner in asking my daughter Sarah and her family to leave, simply because she disagrees with their politics.  But it became a major news story and seems to be part of a growing trend on the left, as these increasingly desperate losers ramp up the hysterical attacks (“Everyone who does anything I don’t like is worse than Hitler!!”) to cover for the fact that the policies they espouse in all areas are being exposed as hopeless failures, and more and more people are catching on that they’ve been conned. Their fury over their ever-declining influence has reduced them to the level of angry adolescents, screaming, “It’s not fair!!” and lashing out with temper tantrums.

If they can’t even behave like civilized adults, then I can’t imagine voters will entrust them with the vast powers of the federal government (aside from Maxine Waters’ constituents.)  Seriously, does this woman not even remember that one of her own colleagues, Rep. Steve Scalise, missed quite a bit of work after being shot by an unstable Bernie Bro, hopped up on anti-Republican propaganda until he attempted to pull a massacre at a charity baseball practice?  But I digress...

I’m not going to mention the name of this restaurant because they don’t deserve any more free publicity.  But I do want to share a few reactions:

First, I am immensely proud of Sarah and her family for the graceful and dignified way in which she responded to this unconscionable (and possibly illegal) discrimination.  Note that she didn’t throw a fit, pull rank, threaten anyone or file a lawsuit.  She simply left quietly and ate elsewhere, I’m sure at a place where both the hospitality and the food were far superior.

I’d also like to implore her supporters not to lower themselves to the opposition’s level by making threats or vandalizing the restaurant’s website or Yelp page.  The owner wanted publicity.  Don’t give it to her.  Instead, simply grant her wish of never having to serve anyone whose politics she disagrees with.

I’m also relieved this was a quiet, non-violent incident.  There have been other shocking incidents of violent mobs harassing and threatening members of the Administration, forcing them to flee restaurants.  Those people need to be arrested and prosecuted.  As for those trying to gin up more ideologically-based violence (looking at you again, Rep. Waters), they are a perfect illustration of the Supreme Court’s exemption to the First Amendment, that inciting a riot (i.e., yelling “Fire” in a crowded theater) is not protected free speech.  It’s also not something that any decent human being with a maturity level above age five does.  Even the reliably liberal Washington Post recognized the dangers of such incendiary rhetoric and condemned it in an op-ed.  And no, whining, “Trump started it!” doesn’t make you sound more like an adult.

Finally, I want to respond to the idiotic claims by the left that conservatives “have it coming” because this is just like that Christian baker who declined to make a same-sex wedding cake.  No, it’s nothing like that.  I know that people who use the word “nuanced” a lot don’t seem to understand what it means, so I’ll attempt to explain the nuances of the two cases clearly and in words short enough that even a liberal intellectual can understand:

The baker in question never ejected anyone from his store for being gay.  He made it clear that everyone was welcome to the part of the store that serves the public, and he would happily sell them anything in the store.  What he declined was a separate contract job custom-designing a cake that he felt violated his religious beliefs, for the same reason he refuses to use what he considers his God-given talent to design Halloween cakes or cakes that personally attack people.  His objection to being forced to accept the custom contract job was based on his First Amendment right to be free from the government forcing him to violate his religious beliefs, not on some nonexistent right to ban gay people from the public area of his shop because he doesn’t like them personally.

I wonder if leftists who are cheering the restaurant owner for ejecting my daughter’s family from a public accommodation just because she didn’t agree with their politics even realize that they are making a very different argument that goes far beyond the defense of the Christian baker.  In fact, they are making the same argument one would use in defending Southern lunch counter owners of the 1950s who refused service to black customers.

Although, come to think of it, those Southern lunch counter owners and the officials who defended them were Democrats, too.  I guess some things never change.

Another irrelevant opinion that inexplicably made news over the weekend came when former Obama ethics watchdog…(sorry, I had to quit typing for a minute until I could stop laughing) Walter Shaub tweeted that my daughter Sarah violated five federal laws by using her official Twitter account to tweet what had happened to her and her family at that Virginia restaurant.  Shaub seems to be laboring under the delusions that Sarah both threatened and endorsed the restaurant (a neat trick, but she did neither) and that she was the first to identify the restaurant, in an attempt to spur mindless rightwing mobs to attack it.  If true, that would be the height of irony, since she was just one of a rising number of Republicans being attacked by mindless leftwing mobs.  But it’s not true at all.

OUR TOP STORY:  Watch my interview with President Trump Part II

In fact, the restaurant identified itself first, with a staffer tweeting the story to the world.  It was only after it made news that Sarah was inundated with requests for comment or confirmation by the media.  Since responding to media inquiries IS her official capacity, she did so, in a completely dispassionate way (she did not call for any retribution against the restaurant owner.  That sort of reprehensible and illegal incitement to violence is the province of leftists such as Maxine Waters.)

I’m really not surprised that partisan attacks are more in Mr. Shaub’s wheelhouse than researching facts, after reading his history and scrolling through his Twitter feed.  He left his position after clashing with Trump and amid accusations of covering up for Hillary Clinton.  When not attacking my daughter with bogus accusations of violating federal laws, he’s tweeting his adventures in Texas as part of a big protest of the enforcement of immigration laws.  The slogan of the organization he’s backing, which is prominent in his posts, is “We Demand Families are Reunited and Free!”  Notice this doesn’t stop at merely calling for reuniting families, but for setting them free, even though they violated federal immigration law.

So to recap:  the “former director of the Office of Government Ethics" under Obama (pause for laughter) thinks that for a Republican to write a tweet in full compliance with the demands of her job is a quintuple federal offense, but entering the US illegally is not only fine but should be rewarded.

Now I finally understand why Obama seriously believed that he had a “scandal-free administration.”

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis deserves credit

Encouraging Signs Of A Return To Sanity

• Timothy Duncan

06/25/2018 10:16 PM

I texted your daughter Sarah that she was fortunate to have been raised by parents with intelligence and class. I also try to watch the WH briefing just to see how Sarah handles the children in the MSM.

• Wendy Levan

06/25/2018 09:41 PM

I understand the differences between the restauant owner and the baker. However, I do still feel that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone they want. If I owned a restaurant, I would want to decline service to Nancy Pelosi without retaliation. I dont want people declined because of skin color or nationality; but being homophobic is as much a condition as being trans or homosexual. (To be politically correct). Im very much a Huckabee family fan and very much a Trump supporter. But I do have a VERY important question....why isnt Mexico not penalized thru trade for all the people leaving? Why are they not penalized for not having a desirable and safe country with opportunity? Why are all these people able to send money to that they earn illegally to Mexico? All this needs to stop!! E-Verify has loop holes, they need to stop the mining of social security numbers.

• Jackie Stiver

06/25/2018 09:33 PM

My husband and I are big fans of you and your wonderful daughter Sarah. We are living in times that are very scary and I am personally afraid of the violence that we are seeing. I would be more afraid if I had children. We stand with Sarah! I will continue to pray for her and all Republicans for our safety.

• Toni Rossi

06/25/2018 09:23 PM

Dear Governor
    I Apologize on behalf of the American People. Your Daughter is a woman of courage, conviction and grace. God Bless her and your family.
    I do not know how she continues in that job. It makes me ashamed to be an American (I have never felt like This before. Shame on the Bush family. I can only imagine what they would have done if it was a member of their clan. They have sided against We The People time and again because of Jeb and our President. Thank you sir for being such a true Patriot and s wonderful man of God. I wish every blessing to you and yours.

• Joseph Jones

06/25/2018 09:13 PM

Firstly, I didn't know Sarah was your daughter, Until Trump, I have not listened to a single appearance of Obama in any venue, So, I basically became unaware of the depth and depravity of our congress. I concur with your assessment but alas, I think you are farting into a fan. The left has an agenda not unlike the roaring sixties and the KKK. Blacks weren't allowed to own guns which made them vulnerable. They were intimidated into silence and working for the slave master in a different capacity. I do however have faith in our founding documents which have stood the test of time. Thank You for your insight and fighting the good fight.

• Robbin Klosterman

06/25/2018 07:59 PM

Mr. Huckabee,
    I very much admire the job your daughter, Sarah, is doing. It has to be one of the most difficult jobs on the current planet. I applaud her and her professionalism. I have said from day one that I like this woman and how she handles her position. If I were to tag myself, I would say I am a moderate Republican. Most of us are "moderate" one way or another. But the current polarization is discouraging at best and pretty alarming, really. The media can paint a picture any way they want to and it is nearly impossible to change that perception. I am so baffled by what is happening here in our country. I raised four children as a single parent in the 1990's and they all have college degrees (some of it thanks to the Pell Grant...) and three of them have master's degrees. No one helped me or them earn the funds to get their educations. They worked hard and never felt anything was going to be "free". I feel now hard work is not rewarded and accountability doesn't mean much. Where is integrity and being responsible for one's actions? I hope Sarah can stick this position out. We need good examples of those who have integrity and spunk, too. :) I raised my family in South Dakota (a place I am truly proud to be "from"). But I would love to sit down with Sarah someday in my dreams. Give her a hug from a Midwestern woman who did it all on her own and because of that, learned self-worth and confidence. Life isn't easy but it should never just be handed to us. And with immigration, there should be accountability, too, within reason. No one will ever appreciate anything they have been given for "free". I find people I am associated with who are now legal citizens from other countries are angry about this situation as they followed the rules. And they are prideful to be an American citizen. Where are their stories in all of this? More people need to speak up and voice reason, fairness, and truth. It doesn't exist in our media, especially not in our major networks, unfortunately.

• margaret Porter

06/25/2018 07:50 PM

You have an amazing daughter!

• vilma gallo

06/25/2018 07:42 PM

obama lives on cloud nine
    big hypocrite big loser big liar
    worst president of all times
    brought country backwards

• Mary S

06/25/2018 07:42 PM

Nice response in a world full of hateful attacks

• Joe Byler

06/25/2018 07:29 PM

Very well said and in a manner all should be able to understand. Sarah is an amazing person from how she handles her job to how she handled this situation. She does it all with gracefull class and style. Something so many have lost and her respect for others is exemplary, even to those who constantly attack her. Go Sarah! I love listening to your reports.

• Jackie Harding

06/25/2018 07:18 PM

I love you!

• Bill Konrad Canadian observer

06/25/2018 07:08 PM

"
    sandy b
    06/25/2018 06:39 PM

so, don't. You are an incredibly small minded conservative person. You apply rules and laws one way when it benefits you, and then when it doesn't you attempt to turn it back the other way. You are seen. You are gaslighting (look it up). You are obscene. You taught your daughter some pretty unfathomable ways of looking at the world and I'm sorry for you. And for her. And neither one of you should have any kind of forum at all. "

This is what passes for intelligent comment from the left. It makes no coherent sense.

• Mary Ann Hartzler

06/25/2018 07:02 PM

Your point about the nuances is well taken. However, there are still enough similarities between the "cake" cases and the restaurant's discrimination to serve up a full meal of hypocrisy. What most have missed is the very public violation of the family's civil rights. Just like the Democrats of the 1950s, this restaurant violated the civil rights of each family member. To say it's sickening is the understatement of the year.

• Lori Kimble

06/25/2018 06:57 PM

In your opinion, is Maxine Waters violating The Smith Act when she calls upon people to harass members of President Trump's Cabinet, because she doesn't like the way he is running the government?

• Ark Tiv

06/25/2018 06:54 PM

First and most importantly I think the owner was wrong and the owner should have served her.

Do you feel the tone of your comments here help and calm the situation or further inflame? You call people "losers" and are condescending throughout. You have a history of distorting the truth and making inflammatory statements. You are a Christian minister. I don't know anything about Christianity so please educate me?

Finally let's see if you have a commitment to free speech and if this comment appears.

• Timothy Hedrick

06/25/2018 06:48 PM

Awsome.... Mike..keep it up..

• sandy b

06/25/2018 06:39 PM

• Mark Thiel

06/25/2018 06:37 PM

We always enjoy your prescient comments.

Mark and Karen Thiel
    Byron Center MI

• Dwayne Dowell

06/25/2018 06:20 PM

Great response. So tired of the lack of respect for Trump, his admin, and supporters. Big fan of you and your daughter. Sorry she had to deal with this.

• Jenny Salvador

06/25/2018 06:16 PM

You are spot-on, and I commend how your daughter handles all the grief she receives. It is abhorrently disgusting how she was treated as well as the complete lack of respect by the left for a duly elected president. I fear for our country as one of first of the baby-boomers. I don't recognize the country I spent the first 21 years growing to an adult. The disrespect from the FBI and the DOJ is the icing on the cake. I don't understand why criminal action is not taken against those in power who have abused it and why Republicans in Congress lack the determination and will to do what is required to bring these people to justice and end the Mueller investigation. Civility is lost.

Kudos to you and your daughter for "staying the course."

• David Paul Furhmann

06/25/2018 06:15 PM

Very well stated and accurate Mr Huckabee. I am very proud of your daughter and the calm demeanor and patience by which she responds kindly. She has the patience of Job.

My biggest concern for Christian people, is that continuing to tolerate this hate from the left, is allowing them to create an even greater stronghold. Mr. Huckabee, I know you to be a man who loves God, and I would love the opportunity to speak with you one on one. Please contact me via my personal email @ [email protected]

• Eric Pearson

06/25/2018 06:10 PM

Very nicely said, Governor Huckabee. Your daughter handled herself in an exemplary manner!

• Barbara Runcie

06/25/2018 06:02 PM

I told my Twitter followers to go to Red Hen site and leave a polite msg thanking them for their generous contribution to Pres. Trump's reelection. ??

• Claudia Knudten

06/25/2018 06:00 PM

What a lovely echo chamber you have built for yourself. Enjoy it while it lasts. Your daughter was asked to leave because she lies constantly, and people are sick of it. Regardless of what you think, those not on the right are not stupid and gullible. You are not conservatives, I don't know what you are.

• Mark Cameron

06/25/2018 05:43 PM

Governor Huckabee,
    You have a most admirable daughter, of whom, we responsible adults are quite proud, too.
    Thank you for your fine family, above & beyond the call of the wild & wooly #mediarity so-called, "popular opinion" low-information, by demonstrating exemplary American values to prove esteem worth far & away more than any mere estimation, calculation or plot by fiat, among other things.
    Let US just Keep America Great!
    MC

June 25, 2018

OUR TOP STORY:  Watch my interview with President Trump Part II

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis deserves credit

06/25/2018 09:13 PM

• Robbin Klosterman

06/25/2018 07:59 PM

Mr. Huckabee,

• margaret Porter

06/25/2018 07:50 PM

You have an amazing daughter!

• vilma gallo

• Lori Kimble

06/25/2018 06:57 PM

• Ark Tiv

06/25/2018 06:54 PM

• Timothy Hedrick

06/25/2018 06:48 PM

Awsome.... Mike..keep it up..

• sandy b

06/25/2018 06:39 PM

• Mark Thiel

06/25/2018 06:37 PM

We always enjoy your prescient comments.

Mark and Karen Thiel
    Byron Center MI

• Dwayne Dowell

06/25/2018 06:20 PM

• Jenny Salvador

06/25/2018 06:16 PM

Kudos to you and your daughter for "staying the course."

• David Paul Furhmann

06/25/2018 06:15 PM

• Eric Pearson

06/25/2018 06:10 PM

• Barbara Runcie

06/25/2018 06:02 PM

• Claudia Knudten

06/25/2018 06:00 PM

• Mark Cameron

06/25/2018 05:43 PM

Governor Huckabee,
    Let US just Keep America Great!
    MC