June 25, 2018

I wish I didn’t have to comment on the inexcusably rude treatment of a Virginia restaurant owner in asking my daughter Sarah and her family to leave, simply because she disagrees with their politics.  But it became a major news story and seems to be part of a growing trend on the left, as these increasingly desperate losers ramp up the hysterical attacks (“Everyone who does anything I don’t like is worse than Hitler!!”) to cover for the fact that the policies they espouse in all areas are being exposed as hopeless failures, and more and more people are catching on that they’ve been conned. Their fury over their ever-declining influence has reduced them to the level of angry adolescents, screaming, “It’s not fair!!” and lashing out with temper tantrums.

If they can’t even behave like civilized adults, then I can’t imagine voters will entrust them with the vast powers of the federal government (aside from Maxine Waters’ constituents.)  Seriously, does this woman not even remember that one of her own colleagues, Rep. Steve Scalise, missed quite a bit of work after being shot by an unstable Bernie Bro, hopped up on anti-Republican propaganda until he attempted to pull a massacre at a charity baseball practice?  But I digress...

I’m not going to mention the name of this restaurant because they don’t deserve any more free publicity.  But I do want to share a few reactions:

First, I am immensely proud of Sarah and her family for the graceful and dignified way in which she responded to this unconscionable (and possibly illegal) discrimination.  Note that she didn’t throw a fit, pull rank, threaten anyone or file a lawsuit.  She simply left quietly and ate elsewhere, I’m sure at a place where both the hospitality and the food were far superior.

I’d also like to implore her supporters not to lower themselves to the opposition’s level by making threats or vandalizing the restaurant’s website or Yelp page.  The owner wanted publicity.  Don’t give it to her.  Instead, simply grant her wish of never having to serve anyone whose politics she disagrees with.

I’m also relieved this was a quiet, non-violent incident.  There have been other shocking incidents of violent mobs harassing and threatening members of the Administration, forcing them to flee restaurants.  Those people need to be arrested and prosecuted.  As for those trying to gin up more ideologically-based violence (looking at you again, Rep. Waters), they are a perfect illustration of the Supreme Court’s exemption to the First Amendment, that inciting a riot (i.e., yelling “Fire” in a crowded theater) is not protected free speech.  It’s also not something that any decent human being with a maturity level above age five does.  Even the reliably liberal Washington Post recognized the dangers of such incendiary rhetoric and condemned it in an op-ed.  And no, whining, “Trump started it!” doesn’t make you sound more like an adult.

Finally, I want to respond to the idiotic claims by the left that conservatives “have it coming” because this is just like that Christian baker who declined to make a same-sex wedding cake.  No, it’s nothing like that.  I know that people who use the word “nuanced” a lot don’t seem to understand what it means, so I’ll attempt to explain the nuances of the two cases clearly and in words short enough that even a liberal intellectual can understand:

The baker in question never ejected anyone from his store for being gay.  He made it clear that everyone was welcome to the part of the store that serves the public, and he would happily sell them anything in the store.  What he declined was a separate contract job custom-designing a cake that he felt violated his religious beliefs, for the same reason he refuses to use what he considers his God-given talent to design Halloween cakes or cakes that personally attack people.  His objection to being forced to accept the custom contract job was based on his First Amendment right to be free from the government forcing him to violate his religious beliefs, not on some nonexistent right to ban gay people from the public area of his shop because he doesn’t like them personally.

I wonder if leftists who are cheering the restaurant owner for ejecting my daughter’s family from a public accommodation just because she didn’t agree with their politics even realize that they are making a very different argument that goes far beyond the defense of the Christian baker.  In fact, they are making the same argument one would use in defending Southern lunch counter owners of the 1950s who refused service to black customers.

Although, come to think of it, those Southern lunch counter owners and the officials who defended them were Democrats, too.  I guess some things never change.

Another irrelevant opinion that inexplicably made news over the weekend came when former Obama ethics watchdog…(sorry, I had to quit typing for a minute until I could stop laughing) Walter Shaub tweeted that my daughter Sarah violated five federal laws by using her official Twitter account to tweet what had happened to her and her family at that Virginia restaurant.  Shaub seems to be laboring under the delusions that Sarah both threatened and endorsed the restaurant (a neat trick, but she did neither) and that she was the first to identify the restaurant, in an attempt to spur mindless rightwing mobs to attack it.  If true, that would be the height of irony, since she was just one of a rising number of Republicans being attacked by mindless leftwing mobs.  But it’s not true at all.

OUR TOP STORY:  Watch my interview with President Trump Part II

In fact, the restaurant identified itself first, with a staffer tweeting the story to the world.  It was only after it made news that Sarah was inundated with requests for comment or confirmation by the media.  Since responding to media inquiries IS her official capacity, she did so, in a completely dispassionate way (she did not call for any retribution against the restaurant owner.  That sort of reprehensible and illegal incitement to violence is the province of leftists such as Maxine Waters.)

I’m really not surprised that partisan attacks are more in Mr. Shaub’s wheelhouse than researching facts, after reading his history and scrolling through his Twitter feed.  He left his position after clashing with Trump and amid accusations of covering up for Hillary Clinton.  When not attacking my daughter with bogus accusations of violating federal laws, he’s tweeting his adventures in Texas as part of a big protest of the enforcement of immigration laws.  The slogan of the organization he’s backing, which is prominent in his posts, is “We Demand Families are Reunited and Free!”  Notice this doesn’t stop at merely calling for reuniting families, but for setting them free, even though they violated federal immigration law.

So to recap:  the “former director of the Office of Government Ethics" under Obama (pause for laughter) thinks that for a Republican to write a tweet in full compliance with the demands of her job is a quintuple federal offense, but entering the US illegally is not only fine but should be rewarded.

Now I finally understand why Obama seriously believed that he had a “scandal-free administration.”

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Charlotte McDonald

06/25/2018 05:42 PM

I admire Sarah immensely. She has class and she is one tough girl (just like her father). Any negative thing I could say about the left would only have me stooping to their level. I have more class and more respect for myself than that.

• John Oliver

06/25/2018 05:40 PM

Thank you Sir, for your brilliant comments and for your truly amazing daughter!
    God Bless you all and God Bless America!
    MAGA!

• Victoria Shepherd

06/25/2018 05:38 PM

I have the utmost respect for your daughter! She is brilliant, classy and does a remarkable job in her position . Reading your comments and watching you on Fox has made it clear....the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I'm sure you are beyond proud of her.

• Marla Hunter

06/25/2018 05:38 PM

I LOVE Sarah! Best thing to happen to the White House in years!

• brian nash

06/25/2018 05:36 PM

It is unfortunate that your daughter was ejected from the restaurant. No one needs to be shamed like that.

I read a tweet by Laura Ingraham, however, in which she quoted you as telling her that the owner of the restaurant followed your daughter to another restaurant, and continued to heckle her there.
    You know that is not true.
    I don't know if you lied, or if Laura Ingraham did. If the former, shame on you; you are just inflaming an incident. If the latter, you should demand that Laura Ingraham retract her statement, and acknowledge that you said no such thing, and I hope you did not.

• brian nash

06/25/2018 05:35 PM

You know that is not true.

• Laura Liebman

06/25/2018 05:30 PM

Stay strong Sarah.

• Jack Keane

06/25/2018 05:23 PM

The nastiness needs to stop on both sides. The president is constantly tweeting negative comments daily and now I notice Dan Bongino is singling out people he doesn’t agree with daily on twitter. And Mr Kilmeade saying. Not American children to Jesse Waters Judge Pirro and Sean Hannity and many more on Fox News bashing Mueller daily. CNN and MSNBC also needs to stop the nastiness. For the average person the coverage is a joke on both sides

• Olga Garcia

06/25/2018 05:20 PM

Thank you, Governor for articulating this so beautifully! I absolutely will draw upon your explanation to share in an intelligent manner. I love and admire your daughter Sarah and I pray for her safety.
    God bless you and your family.

• Grant Davis

06/25/2018 05:13 PM

Mr. Huckabee,

Your comments here are a reflection of all that is wrong with this country at the current time. Both parties go out of their way to belittle and demean members of the opposite party and anyone that has different beliefs. In an statement where you criticize an individual for discriminating against your daughter for a difference in beliefs you also spend a fair amount of time showing the same behavior to "liberals". What happened to a country where individuals of all different opinions were tolerated and accepted and the thing that made our country great was that we were able to elect individuals who were able to meet with the opposite side and have intelligent conversation and come to agreements that were based upon what was in the best interest of the citizens of the United States. I am also tired of hearing the "but look what someone else did before I did my irreprehensible act"! As a young person, being taught Christian values, I learned to be responsible for my own actions and to not to use others behaviors as an excuse for me to not behave in an acceptable manner. You are reported to be a person of Christian values, I see nothing in your comments (or in your recent tweet directed at Nancy Pelosi) that would lead me to assume that is true. Are Christian values just a matter of convenience (or campaign jargon) and not necessary in everyday life. I realize that there are many individuals on both sides that don't live up to these standards but when is someone going to be an example and say I am going to be part of the solution and not part of the ongoing problem. I tire of hearing from elected officials that their actions are justified due to the actions of someone else, generally Obama or Trump! I commend individuals for taking upon themselves the burden and opportunities of public service but I just wish that most of them would stop the rhetoric and game playing and be leaders! Leaders set examples for the citizens to follow in much the same way parents should be role models for their children. Our leaders are sending this country done a dark and hateful course that has me fearful for the future that awaits my children. This fear has nothing to do with differences of opinions on policies and legislation and everything to do with the appalling but accepted way we treat each other. I fully understand that this is an exercise in futility but it is cathartic and I truly believe that a large portion of the public would agree with these viewpoints but we have all resigned ourselves to the fact that this is the way the political arena works and there is nothing we can do to change that.

• Vera Bass

06/25/2018 05:02 PM

Thank you, we'll said. My family n I love you and your daughter. Sarah is doing a great job. She's beautiful and strong and I wish you and your family the best. Tks again

• Sheila Abshire

06/25/2018 05:01 PM

You always hit every point so eloquently. I just want to comment with regard to the chatter per Trump’s “wreckless inciteful” tweets. I was listening and observing while the Organizer spike his “scholarly inciteful” language in his Authoritarian demeaning voice; did Onnie note his intent to incite this out of control behavior already happening on the day he left office? I saw it as Trump swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States.

• Deborah Johnson

06/25/2018 04:57 PM

The Democrats have become so angry and hateful that they are willing to take anyone down who doesn't agree with them. I am an independent because I don't need anyone to tell me what to think or how to act. Unfortunately younger voters will still follow the loudest voices believing them to be true. ..

• Frank Reames

06/25/2018 04:51 PM

She handled this just like the Bible tells us to respond. This comes from her faith and upbringing. I support her 100 percent because she acted with class and in the way Jesus would have handled this situation. No need to fuel the hatred by responding. Many times, Jesus would flee an area to prevent rioting as well. You raised a wonderful family and I hope that she continues with President Trump in her position for many more years.

• Marian Pozgay

06/25/2018 04:51 PM

Very well written & informative statement about actual events, that happened to your wonderful daughter Sarah. I was truly disgusted & appalled at the actions of the owner & at the “VERY Classy” way your daughter responded to the incident. The Liberals are resorting to these inappropriate actions as a last resort. God Blessed the USA with our President Trump who is truly MAGA!

• Beth Van Wieren

06/25/2018 04:50 PM

As usual, your commentary is perfect, precise, truth, and uh..that’s a wrap.??

• Kevin Snodgrass

06/25/2018 04:48 PM

Very sorry That Sarah was the victim of conservaphobia!
    Conservaphobia is the bigoted hatred of conservatives for no reason except they are not liberal. It’s just as bad as homophobia and islamaphobia and all the other phobias that conservatives are accused of being.

• James fazio

06/25/2018 04:43 PM

God bless you for setting the story straight. Your daughter handled this very well. Bless her also.

JimI

• James fazio

06/25/2018 04:41 PM

JimI

• Gary Thomas

06/25/2018 04:37 PM

Carry on with the truth! So frustrated with the bullshit the left has been engaging in! Enough is enough!!!

• Michele Acito

06/25/2018 04:28 PM

Mike, I so appreciate your tweets and am appalled at how your daughter was treated. The best reaction I read so far beside yours, was from the Trump man himself, commenting on the filthy exterior of the restaurant and saying the inside is probably dirty as well. I say, get the board of health in there to inspect!! ??

• Patsy Campbell

06/25/2018 04:27 PM

Mike God bless you and you daughter for your service. Lord knows there is a lot of stupid...out there...
    She is awsome strong witty and I love to hear her talk!!!

• Patsy Campbell

06/25/2018 04:25 PM

She is awsome strong witty and I love talk!!!

• Gail Irons

06/25/2018 04:25 PM

You should be so very proud of your daughter, Sarah. She has a tough job and she handles it with grace and dignity. The way the left is working these days (Maxine Waters) reminds me of how Hitler took over Germany prior to WWII. Create discord, hate your neighbor, burn books ("The Little House on the Prairie" book series). There is no excuse for anyone to act like they have. If a business had asked someone to leave because of their politics or their gender or whatever, you can bet your bottom dollar that a lawsuit would be happening. It has become obvious that the Left also only attacks women thinking they are the "weaker" sex. Got news for them.... Keep up the good work Mike.

• Joyce Durand

06/25/2018 04:08 PM

I applaude your daughter and pray for each one of our Presidents family, friends, and those who are doing our country good everyday!

June 25, 2018

OUR TOP STORY:  Watch my interview with President Trump Part II

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Charlotte McDonald

06/25/2018 05:42 PM

• John Oliver

06/25/2018 05:40 PM

Thank you Sir, for your brilliant comments and for your truly amazing daughter!
    God Bless you all and God Bless America!
    MAGA!

• Victoria Shepherd

06/25/2018 05:38 PM

• Marla Hunter

06/25/2018 05:38 PM

I LOVE Sarah! Best thing to happen to the White House in years!

• brian nash

06/25/2018 05:36 PM

You know that is not true.

• brian nash

06/25/2018 05:35 PM

You know that is not true.

• Laura Liebman

06/25/2018 05:30 PM

Stay strong Sarah.

• Jack Keane

06/25/2018 05:23 PM

• Olga Garcia

06/25/2018 05:20 PM

God bless you and your family.

• Grant Davis

• Frank Reames

06/25/2018 04:51 PM

• Marian Pozgay

06/25/2018 04:51 PM

• Beth Van Wieren

06/25/2018 04:50 PM

As usual, your commentary is perfect, precise, truth, and uh..that’s a wrap.??

• Kevin Snodgrass

06/25/2018 04:48 PM

Very sorry That Sarah was the victim of conservaphobia!

• James fazio

06/25/2018 04:43 PM

JimI

• James fazio

06/25/2018 04:41 PM

JimI

• Gary Thomas

06/25/2018 04:37 PM

• Michele Acito

06/25/2018 04:28 PM

• Patsy Campbell

06/25/2018 04:27 PM

She is awsome strong witty and I love to hear her talk!!!

• Patsy Campbell

06/25/2018 04:25 PM

She is awsome strong witty and I love talk!!!

• Gail Irons