February 4, 2018

One of the big news stories of the week was the State of the Union address and President Trump presented a speech that was both inspirational and aspirational. Even some of his usual critics praised him for laying on the table specific proposals that Democrats have been asking for over many years. Paid family leave, infrastructure building, finding a legal and practical solution to the illegal immigrants known as the DACA kids or “dreamers,” and jobs for African-American and Hispanic workers. The President offered detailed proposals on those things and more. 75% of the people watching the speech gave it a thumbs up, but most of the Democrats in the House chamber were sitting on their thumbs the entire night. They have been roundly criticized for not even applauding when the President was offering the very things they have said were most important.

But I rise tonight in the spirit of real bi-partisanship to say our Democrat friends have been unfairly judged. While it may have appeared they were rudely ignoring the President’s olive branch, I beg to differ and tonight I’d like to put forward what could be logical explanations for what some saw as bizarre behavior. First Nancy Pelosi clearly was having some dental problems. It well could have been an abscess tooth or maybe it was a crumb from the tax cuts that stuck in her teeth. And Bernie Sanders looked clearly miserable, although he attempted to clap his hands once or twice, but we can now confirm that Bernie forgot to take his daily dose of Metamucil.

When the President announced that unemployment for African-Americans and Hispanics is at the lowest point in American history, everyone expected the reaction to be one of delight among the Congressional Black Caucus, but they sat eerily still and made not a sound. Now we can confirm that it was all a misunderstanding. They didn’t realize he was talking about unemployment. They thought the President said he was speaking for his enjoyment and they didn’t want to agree with that. Honest mistake.

As for them not applauding the President for saying we should stand for the National Anthem, I’m sure the sound system on that side of the House Chamber wasn’t working well and they thought he said something about the Nashville Action and they didn’t want to appear showing support for country music honky tonks for which Nashville is so famous.

And why didn’t they jump for glee when the President proposed giving almost 3 times more on DACA kids than they even asked? Well, simple—they didn’t want to appear greedy, having been offered more than they hoped plus getting a proposal they had long championed regarding family leave not to mention a YUUUUGE infrastructure plan. Now as to why Congressman Luis Guiterez bolted from his seat and headed for the exit just as the members were chanting USA! USA!...please don’t think he was unpatriotic or that he would get a paycheck for serving as a representative for US taxpayers, but would actually rather be working for a different government. No, that’s unfair. He had to rush out suddenly because the Thai food he had for lunch was disagreeing with him, and the chant of USA sounded like “You Just ATE!” and that really brought the subject of his lunch, let’s just say, to the surface.

So I won’t be too hard on Ms. Pelosi, or her colleagues in Congress. Mainly because I don’t have to. I’m pretty sure that after witnessing their spectacle at the State of the Union, the voters will be hard enough on them in November!

• Tricia Kennemer

02/04/2018 08:30 PM

??????????????

• carolyn allee

02/04/2018 08:09 PM

We didn't have to be judgmental. They were judgmental of their fellow Americans and our President Trump.

• Judy Abbott

02/04/2018 08:04 PM

Your kindness is hilarious!! As for me, I was truly embarrassed and wonder how a grown human being can let some leader have that much control over then...they too have a right to free speech & free emotions! I could never sell myself, my freedom, my enthusiasm to anyone!! We are still Americans! Thank you Mr. Huckabee for always being a bright spot in my days and I’m so proud your daughter is WH Press Secretary!! I’m amazed at how she does it with dignity, humor & let’s nobody pul the wool over her eyes!! You & your wonderful wife have to be extremely proud!! Than you again, sir!!

• Paula Campbell

02/04/2018 08:03 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with your reasoning! LOL!!!!! Love your "explanations!"

• JoSeph Richard

02/04/2018 08:03 PM

Shoot low sheriff, they riding Shetlands..... lol

• Sandy Taylor

02/04/2018 08:03 PM

May I comment on "Shock memo?" The democrats are so completely irrational that I find it frightening. The point you make about how the Hilary Clinton e-mails were no threat but that the file in question is a threat... Can they not hear themselves? The hypocrisy? The doublespeak? Should any entity other than our heavenly Father not have to be accountable for their actions? Just shaking my head. Unbelievable.

• carolyn allee

02/04/2018 07:58 PM

We certainly didn't have to judge the democrats. They judged themselves with their hateful, scowling faces. They had so much hatred seething from their faces, they looked scary. Trump is making all the promises the Democrats have made come true for minorities and they could not be happy about these fellow Americans. They would not applaud the sweet little boy getting flowers for the graves of our military heroes. They showed no respect to my fellow Americans who are true Patriots and for this I am ashamed to have them represent America in our sacred halls of Congress. Mike, do you really think they will work to make American Great Again? Their contempt for America is huge!

• Ann B. Hart

02/04/2018 07:58 PM

You're the best! God Bless.

• DENNIS WENRICK

02/04/2018 07:56 PM

I sure did a good laugh tonight night. Thanks Mike!
    May the voters give the Democrats another rude awakening in the next election.

• James Evart

02/04/2018 07:55 PM

Our President should call by Twitter for all companies, of any size, to email a site with the bonuses and other benefits they have given their employees and their reasons for doing so since the president's tax plan went into effect. I know of smaller a smaller companies that has given a $10,000 bonus to at least one employee because the tax benefits this new bill has given to employers that they have passed on to their employees. I think that this query might generate a very positive statistic of the healing going on in our economy because of our presidents foresight. It would also be ignored by the fake media and those who hate the truth, but it might put to silence, at least for the moment, those whose self-interests do not include the benefit of their country.
    Please pass this on to the president.

• Gretchen Grant

02/04/2018 07:53 PM

Oh, we can certainly all be dreamers and hope that the people in Nancy Pelosi's district grow some brain cells and vote her out of office. Luis Guiterez has been a thorn in this republican side for as long as he's been in office. Living in the "gullible" country outside of Chicago I can not vote against him. However, he recently announced he would not run for reelection. That sounded like a dream come true until he pointed out that he has chosen his successor. Ahhhh Chicago politics.

• Billie R Hayworth

02/04/2018 07:52 PM

Well, ah, no Mike...the dems haven't been unfairly judged. They are such a basket of deplorables that it defies all logic. One cannot even begin to make any sense of they crap they've pulled this first year of president Trumps administration. I have to wonder how they got to be this old being as stupid as they are. Then I remind myself that they are a bunch of blood-sucking despots who feed off each other and thus keep their sick, twisted, stirring-the-pot agenda alive and well. When I hear Maxine Waters, Elijah Cummings, Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, Adam Shiff, (did I get his name right?) and our idiot former president speak, I have to ask myself, "how can this be"????? "Has the whole world gone mad"?? That's the way it seems but the bible talks about the "last days", and sir, if these aren't the beginning of those last days, I sure hope I'm gone before they begin for real!! bh

• Elizabeth Istre

02/04/2018 07:45 PM

Dear Friend! I always counted on you to be the sane voice in all this madness in D. C. I was disappointed in your explanations of Democrats during SOTUS. How did that win any friends across the aisle? Shouldn’t that be our 24/7 goal? I still love and admire you and would vote for you in a second if you were ever on the ballot again!

• James Garcia

02/04/2018 07:44 PM

November? Can't hardly wait. :)

• Ruston Hill

02/04/2018 07:43 PM

Let's hope the voters saw the same things we saw and are very hard on the Dems in November. In behaving the way they did, they looked more like petulant school children than leaders of the world's superpower. God help us get them out of office!

• Cheryl Palm

02/04/2018 07:34 PM

You are too kind....but funny! Truthfully they are spoiled brats after getting their way for so long. I kept wondering if these same people as parents teach their children good sportsmanship and how to be a graceful loser.....but then I live in the heartland (Kansas) and we have different values and ethics here! Thanks Mike for this newsletter, so enjoy it.

• Kathleen Long

02/04/2018 07:32 PM

I loved that article! I love your writings! Thank you for commenting on the political scene.

• Carl Schlemmer

02/04/2018 07:28 PM

Governor It seems all that writing giving excuses you finally came to your senses with the last couple of words. "the voters will be hard enough on them in November!" God willing.

• Lea Snow

02/04/2018 07:20 PM

Omgosh I was wondering what the heck you saw that I didn’t for you to make those beginning statements. !! Loved reading the explanations for their rude behavior ! Way to go Mr. Huckabee.??????

• Judy Weber

02/04/2018 07:17 PM

Mike, you are so right on this, as you are on all things. The Dems killed thier elections.

• Jayne Scott

02/04/2018 07:04 PM

I grew up with my parents being Democrats so naturally when I turned old enough to vote I voted democrat. Over the years I started being more informed about politics. As I listened to both parties candidates it really started bothering me the dirty truth of the platform agenda the Democrats were taking on some very important issues. Over the years it seems like they are more everything anti American on all issues. They should be very ashamed of the way they lie, cheat, decieve & totally embarrass themselves & the people they are supposed to represent. I pray that one day soon God will open their eyes to see they are puppets of Satan & he is laughing at their stupidity!

• Bonnie L. Quick

02/04/2018 06:59 PM

I could barely keep from laughing out loud! Come on guys...You democrats keep yelling about being bi-partisan yet make no attempt to set aside your agenda to unseat our president. This is a democracy? Thanks Mike Huckabee for saying the truth...
    By the way--I really appreciate your daughter. I have a lovely 41 year old and a 51 year old who are successful, thoughtful and intelligent. Tired of being accused of stupidity, racism and hate because I don't agree with biased, snide ideas approved of by women who don't bother to research anything for themselves.

• Gladys Hizer

02/04/2018 06:58 PM

Thank you for the laughs. I watched a large portion of your TV show on Saturday evening, having finally found the proper channel on my TV.
    I didn't know I could get the show on the higher channels. Your comment about humor or lack of it is so true.

• Douglas Morgan

02/04/2018 06:52 PM

Gee, I feel so bad now for critically judging them. It was all my misunderstanding. You wouldn't think that Nancy Pelosi would be having teeth problems since she has those teeth and gums all protected by liters of Restylane in her lips and one would never suspect that Bernie would have a problem in which he needed Metamucil, since he is normally able to spread thin dung over everything he gets close to.

Yes I sincerely apologize for misreading what I thought was "resistance" rather than physical pain. And of course it was Trump's fault for their pain, in this case, literally!!

• John M Koch

02/04/2018 06:49 PM

Governor, I couldn't agree with you more - Thai food can be very spicy and at that late hour I'm pretty certain the good Democrap Congressman was having a Rol-Aids moment. Regarding Pelosi's dental issues I can definitely attest to the pain one suffers when a crumb gets under one of the denture plates - trust me - it does hurt - in some cases a lot.
    Now, as for me personally, I'm not "Joe the Plumber" - I'm John the 66 year old retired law enforcement officer and firefighter and I want to THANK YOU for standing up and being vocal "doing the right thing". In all my years living and working in this incredibly blessed land we call America, I simply cannot ever remember elected representatives on ANY level being so blatantly disrespectful. Democratic behavior is absolutely beyond comprehension and I pray that come November, these poisonous cancers are cut out by the sane voters of their respective districts. Keep on keepin' on Governor - God Bless... John Koch / Lewistown, Montana

• Joyce Roberts

02/04/2018 06:43 PM

I certainly do hope you are right about people in November. I pray they will be smart enough to remember the unbelievable vitriol and immature, almost (?) unbalanced manner in which the D's have been acting, and vote accordingly!!!

• Marie Parvi

02/04/2018 06:34 PM

Governor Huckabee, you are being much nicer to the Democrats then I would be!

• denise mayer

02/04/2018 06:27 PM

You never fail to get a chuckle out of me. Besides having such a great sense of humor, you are also blessed with an amazing family. You are a true patriot & a very intelligent and articulate man. With all that said, don't be getting a big head on yourself! Thank you & your daughter & all your family for all you are doing for this great United States of America. God bless you all.

• Nancy Bretz

02/04/2018 06:24 PM

Having read Trey Gowdy's defense of his memo writing, the lead line for your article - I almost did not read it fearing that now Republicans are going to start defending or back away from what they have written or said about the 4 page memo. But I did read your column, found it very amusing, specifically re Pelosi's strange issues with the interior of her mouth (more like the tongue action). Very happy you were not suddenly defensive or explaining away something already spoken or stated. Very common among the weak (er) Republicans. Usually I depend on your articles to be thoughtful, never extreme, always making sense. Nancy

• Yvonne Shelton Crumpler

02/04/2018 06:20 PM

The President's address was excellent. I generally do not listen to speeches but his State of the Union address was one I planned to hear. I have a question that is not related to our President but I think it is important. Why do our representatives in Congress not have term limits? There are term limits for Presidents. We learned from FDR that we needed term limits for the President. I am not an FDR fan but the question is important. We need to set term limits for the US Congress.

• Dianne Rabkin

02/04/2018 06:20 PM

Keep talking Mike we are listening.

• Karen CoreHemingway

02/04/2018 06:18 PM

I love your rationale!!

• Joy M. Brintnall

02/04/2018 06:16 PM

Thanks for your wisdom and delightful commentary on such disgusting behavior.

• George Curl

02/04/2018 06:16 PM

Well said Governor, well said... Humor always eases the tension.

• Hannah Edelman

02/04/2018 06:12 PM

Very funny and so sad at the same time.

• Deanne Phillips

02/04/2018 06:02 PM

Love your take on this rather disgraceful situation! Love your show on Saturday nights, too. Thank you for honesty! So refreshing!

• Tammy Binkley

02/04/2018 06:01 PM

Your conclusion is right on .. it all makes perfect sense now!!! .. no condemnation here, but.. I'm pretty sure those who will never read your report will thinks otherwise or should I say vote otherwise??????

• Cheryl Gower

02/04/2018 06:00 PM

You’re too kind. But it’s too much of a stretch. Cannot understand the 180-degree flip in Democrats from the 1940s-50s and the present. We were Democrats because we were of the blue collar, lower middle class. Republicans were the rich and white collar corporate uppetty-ups. We are Republicans now but by no means fit the status description above.
    Are these Dems jealous of Pres. Trump because he is a brilliant businessman? They don’t like his hair style? They can’t stand his lip movement? Or perhaps it’s because he’s a mere mortal corporate genius and couldn’t possibly know diddly-squat about politics?
    He doesn’t need to know the “kiss-my-butt” ways of D.C.. He knows the Constitution and the honorable ways to conduct business and treat people. He is a Patriot, and is working for NO SALARY to make ALL AMERICANS safe and prosperous. Not just those who favor him, but also those who snear, obstruct and plot for his downfall. There is another greater than he who worked in the same manner with so much love in his heart. He didn’t need to, but He loved everyone unconditionally to the point where He sacrificed His own life. With His last breath, He said, “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.”
    Before criticizing President Trump, try to see Christ in him.

• Diane Paquette

02/04/2018 05:57 PM

Love your article - they really looked like a bunch of bone heads. Please tell your Daughter - love her too - she is doing a great job keeping that bunch in order. Peace

• Thomas B Soch

02/04/2018 05:56 PM

Yes, that’s true. Thank you for helping me to see it from a better perspective.

• Tommie D Derryberry Sr

02/04/2018 05:50 PM

Mr. Huckabee: I got a chuckle from your comments. However,, a like minded Friend of mine gave an absolute solution to pelosi's "problems during the SOTU address to Congress" as was expected of the President. And that was; It was obvious that she got her Poligrip mixed up and applied her Preperation H with the same finger instead. She just couldn't get that taste out of her mouth.

• Amy Weathersby

02/04/2018 05:47 PM

Love it! You are hilarious!! And quite witty and creative!!!

• Bruce Deming

02/04/2018 05:46 PM

LOL, thanks, I needed a good laugh, I was getting a little to worked up over their hypocrisy.

• Val Heinze

02/04/2018 05:42 PM

That was a very good and inspirational piece Mr. Huckabee and I did you enjoy reading all the stories from your view. I sure hope that you are correct that they will pay for this when it comes time for the elections. I pray each day that those who have been blinded by all the corrupt lies of obama and the left will soon see the truth. I truly believe that God has stepped up to help us all save our United States of America as the left had a bad destination in mind for all of us. Thank you for all you do and please thank Sarah for all her good work. GOD BLESS AMERICA

• Donalie

02/04/2018 05:42 PM

Great! Love your sense of humor.

• Karen L Nassie

02/04/2018 05:39 PM

Mike, you knew I couldn’t resist that headline!!! But as usual you entertained me and brought it all around to the inevitable result which WILL make us all happy! Keep it up. We love you!!!

• Bob k

02/04/2018 05:39 PM

Both sides are grandstanding... all u political puppets revel in your twitter accounts how clever u are at writing bullshit prose. The attacks and corny writing by over paid, political “has been”senators who like to hear themselves talk is way retarded. I have no patience for 90% blowhards. They have been bought and toe the bullshit party line. It all stinks,

• Vickie Lundberg

02/04/2018 05:38 PM

I read it.

• Lynne Schweitzer

02/04/2018 05:37 PM

I know this was all said tongue-in-cheek, so to speak. I don't think they should be cut any slack. There was no excuse for their attitudes. And, Bernie, what a joke! It clearly exemplifies his socialist maybe communist approach. But understanding how Soros and the global world order plays into all of this it is easy to understand that nothing Trump does will please them even if they asked for it. He has clearly upset the apple cart and they are the apples.

• Melanie Tappe

02/04/2018 05:35 PM

Please use my current email address:
    [email protected]

Oh Mike that was creative and funny and kind !
    Thank you for bringing lightness into this situation.
    And a question, do you remember prior and during the Clinton presidency, the ties revealed they had to Russian KGB agent either during or following college, where they stayed 3 months in Russia. Could there be an influence from those former ties in what happened during the election and following? I’m just wondering.
    God richly bless you and our nation in Jesus Name .
    Hugs
    Melanie

February 4, 2018

• Tricia Kennemer

02/04/2018 08:30 PM

??????????????

• carolyn allee

02/04/2018 08:09 PM

• Judy Abbott

02/04/2018 08:04 PM

• Paula Campbell

02/04/2018 08:03 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with your reasoning! LOL!!!!! Love your "explanations!"

• JoSeph Richard

02/04/2018 08:03 PM

Shoot low sheriff, they riding Shetlands..... lol

• Sandy Taylor

02/04/2018 08:03 PM

• carolyn allee

02/04/2018 07:58 PM

• Ann B. Hart

02/04/2018 07:58 PM

You're the best! God Bless.

• DENNIS WENRICK

02/04/2018 07:56 PM

I sure did a good laugh tonight night. Thanks Mike!
    May the voters give the Democrats another rude awakening in the next election.

• James Evart

02/04/2018 07:55 PM

Please pass this on to the president.

• Gretchen Grant

02/04/2018 07:53 PM

• Billie R Hayworth

02/04/2018 07:52 PM

• Elizabeth Istre

02/04/2018 07:45 PM

• James Garcia

02/04/2018 07:44 PM

November? Can't hardly wait. :)

• Ruston Hill

• John M Koch

02/04/2018 06:49 PM

• Joyce Roberts

02/04/2018 06:43 PM

• Marie Parvi

02/04/2018 06:34 PM

Governor Huckabee, you are being much nicer to the Democrats then I would be!

• denise mayer

02/04/2018 06:27 PM

• Nancy Bretz

02/04/2018 06:24 PM

• Yvonne Shelton Crumpler

02/04/2018 06:20 PM

• Dianne Rabkin

02/04/2018 06:20 PM

Keep talking Mike we are listening.

• Karen CoreHemingway

02/04/2018 06:18 PM

I love your rationale!!

• Joy M. Brintnall

02/04/2018 06:16 PM

Thanks for your wisdom and delightful commentary on such disgusting behavior.

• George Curl

02/04/2018 06:16 PM

Well said Governor, well said... Humor always eases the tension.

• Hannah Edelman

02/04/2018 06:12 PM

Very funny and so sad at the same time.

• Deanne Phillips

02/04/2018 06:02 PM

• Tammy Binkley

02/04/2018 06:01 PM

• Cheryl Gower

02/04/2018 06:00 PM

Before criticizing President Trump, try to see Christ in him.

• Diane Paquette

02/04/2018 05:57 PM

• Thomas B Soch

02/04/2018 05:56 PM

Yes, that’s true. Thank you for helping me to see it from a better perspective.

• Tommie D Derryberry Sr

02/04/2018 05:50 PM

• Amy Weathersby

02/04/2018 05:47 PM

Love it! You are hilarious!! And quite witty and creative!!!

• Bruce Deming

02/04/2018 05:46 PM

• Val Heinze

02/04/2018 05:42 PM

• Donalie

02/04/2018 05:42 PM

Great! Love your sense of humor.

• Karen L Nassie

02/04/2018 05:39 PM

• Bob k

02/04/2018 05:39 PM

• Vickie Lundberg

02/04/2018 05:38 PM

I read it.

• Lynne Schweitzer

02/04/2018 05:37 PM

• Melanie Tappe

02/04/2018 05:35 PM

Please use my current email address:
    [email protected]

Oh Mike that was creative and funny and kind !
    Thank you for bringing lightness into this situation.
    God richly bless you and our nation in Jesus Name .
    Hugs
    Melanie

February 4, 2018

• Tricia Kennemer

02/04/2018 08:30 PM

??????????????

• carolyn allee

02/04/2018 08:09 PM

• Judy Abbott

02/04/2018 08:04 PM

• Paula Campbell

02/04/2018 08:03 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with your reasoning! LOL!!!!! Love your "explanations!"

• JoSeph Richard

02/04/2018 08:03 PM

Shoot low sheriff, they riding Shetlands..... lol

• Sandy Taylor

02/04/2018 08:03 PM

• carolyn allee

02/04/2018 07:58 PM

• Ann B. Hart

02/04/2018 07:58 PM

You're the best! God Bless.

• DENNIS WENRICK

02/04/2018 07:56 PM

I sure did a good laugh tonight night. Thanks Mike!
    May the voters give the Democrats another rude awakening in the next election.

• James Evart

02/04/2018 07:55 PM

Please pass this on to the president.

• Gretchen Grant

02/04/2018 07:53 PM

• Billie R Hayworth

02/04/2018 07:52 PM

• Elizabeth Istre

02/04/2018 07:45 PM

• James Garcia

02/04/2018 07:44 PM

November? Can't hardly wait. :)

• Ruston Hill

• John M Koch

02/04/2018 06:49 PM

• Joyce Roberts

02/04/2018 06:43 PM

• Marie Parvi

02/04/2018 06:34 PM

Governor Huckabee, you are being much nicer to the Democrats then I would be!

• denise mayer

02/04/2018 06:27 PM

• Nancy Bretz

02/04/2018 06:24 PM

• Yvonne Shelton Crumpler

02/04/2018 06:20 PM

• Dianne Rabkin

02/04/2018 06:20 PM

Keep talking Mike we are listening.

• Karen CoreHemingway

02/04/2018 06:18 PM

I love your rationale!!

• Joy M. Brintnall

02/04/2018 06:16 PM

Thanks for your wisdom and delightful commentary on such disgusting behavior.

• George Curl

02/04/2018 06:16 PM

Well said Governor, well said... Humor always eases the tension.

• Hannah Edelman

02/04/2018 06:12 PM

Very funny and so sad at the same time.

• Deanne Phillips

02/04/2018 06:02 PM

• Tammy Binkley

02/04/2018 06:01 PM

• Cheryl Gower

02/04/2018 06:00 PM

Before criticizing President Trump, try to see Christ in him.

• Diane Paquette

02/04/2018 05:57 PM

• Thomas B Soch

02/04/2018 05:56 PM

Yes, that’s true. Thank you for helping me to see it from a better perspective.

• Tommie D Derryberry Sr

02/04/2018 05:50 PM

• Amy Weathersby

02/04/2018 05:47 PM

Love it! You are hilarious!! And quite witty and creative!!!

• Bruce Deming

02/04/2018 05:46 PM

• Val Heinze

02/04/2018 05:42 PM

• Donalie

02/04/2018 05:42 PM

Great! Love your sense of humor.

• Karen L Nassie

02/04/2018 05:39 PM

• Bob k

02/04/2018 05:39 PM

• Vickie Lundberg

02/04/2018 05:38 PM

I read it.

• Lynne Schweitzer

02/04/2018 05:37 PM

• Melanie Tappe

02/04/2018 05:35 PM

Please use my current email address:
    [email protected]

Oh Mike that was creative and funny and kind !
    Thank you for bringing lightness into this situation.
    God richly bless you and our nation in Jesus Name .
    Hugs