President Trump's Speech

January 9, 2019

I hope you watched President Trump’s brief address last night on border security, and Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer’s response.  If not, click here:

The media being as it is these days, coverage mostly focused on attempts to twist and hair-split any of the statistics Trump cited, as if that would refute his entire premise that it’s not a good idea for the US to have a porous national border and to be hosting anywhere from 11 to 30 million illegal residents.  There’s also a tendency to focus on style over substance, as if nitpicking Trump’s vocal inflections, necktie, or decision to speak from the Oval Office would refute the importance of what he was saying.  So I’m going to buck the trend and discuss the substance first:

Watching the leaders of both parties speak on the same issue back-to-back gave me, and I’d bet many other Americans, a strong and unmistakable sense of the priorities of each party.  Trump spoke of the vital importance of national security, enforcing laws, stopping the flow of deadly drugs, and protecting Americans from criminal illegal aliens who have killed, assaulted, raped and robbed thousands of US citizens.  Pelosi and Schumer seemed obsessed with one thing only: getting the government reopened. They repeatedly downplayed the stats and tragic stories quoted by Trump, dismissing the whole issue of border security as a manufactured crisis (I doubt they’d say that if one of their own family members had been victimized, but then, they have armed security.)  It was blindingly obvious that to them, the real crisis was that a fraction of the government was shut down, and some federal workers’ checks might be delayed.

So to sum up the substance:

Trump:  Wants to protect Americans from drugs, gangs, terrorists and the crippling economic effects of illegal immigration and to protect migrants from a dangerous journey inspired by the belief that our border is easy to cross illegally.

Pelosi and Schumer: Want to protect government workers from missing a paycheck.

With that out of the way, let’s look at the style.

Trump chose to address America from the Oval Office in prime time, which indicates how serious he considers this issue to be.  This lends a gravitas that no tweet storm can match. I’m sure he wanted to appear “Presidential” and convey the seriousness of the issue, even though some critics complained that he seemed more subdued than usual and just stuck to the prepared script.  I’m sure he knew that if he dared go off script by even a semi-colon, the media would be waiting to pounce and claim he made a “gaffe” (or as they call that, a “LIE!!!”)  So at the risk of seeming less loose and animated than he does at his rallies, he stuck to the script and spoke with seriousness and compassion about Americans who have lost loved ones because of violent criminals who never would have been on US soil if everyone in government took immigration law enforcement seriously.

As for Pelosi and Schumer:  As the overwhelming response online shows, if we were grading this on style points, it would be a Trump blowout.  He didn’t have to give the performance of a lifetime, he just had to come across better than them, and they set the bar so low a worm couldn’t limbo under it.

Standing side-by-side and staring with disturbing intensity into the camera like the great-grandparents of the “Children of the Damned”…

…Schumer and Pelosi inspired many creative metaphors and memes. They were described as “wooden,” “transparently disingenuous,” and “embalmed;” resembling morticians; the zombie version of “American Gothic;” “what you see when you show up at the gates of Hell;” “look like they’re selling me a reverse mortgage” (Greg Gutfeld); and this gem from Ken Webster Jr: “They look like the neighbors who you didn't wanna invite to the block party but did anyway because you ran into them at the grocery store.”

You know it was a bad night for the Democrats when even Stephen Colbert is creating memes making fun of them.

Moving past the Gomez and Morticia visuals, Speaker Pelosi also displayed an annoying verbal tic of repeating the phrase, “The fact is…”  I understand why she or her writers chose to do this: it plays into the media-driven narrative that Republicans only offer lies and misrepresentations while the left is a veritable fountain of incontrovertible facts.  I know this to be a big trough of hogwash because I’ve made a pretty good living in the media over the past decade, mostly by offering factual rebuttals to liberal talking points.

The fact is that saying “the fact is” doesn’t necessarily mean you’re about to hear anything approaching a fact.  When it’s coming from the likes of Pelosi and Schumer, it’s actually a pretty good indicator that you’re about to hear something that’s not a fact.  That, and their lips are moving.

Say, here’s an actual fact: as recently as 2013, Chuck Schumer was among all the 54 Democrats then in the Senate who voted to provide $46 billion to build “no fewer than 700 miles of fencing” on our Southern border. That’s over nine times the amount of funding Trump is requesting now.  Apparently, the rules of morality have changed since then, or else walls aren’t immoral if you call them “fences.”

Meanwhile, anyone who thinks the dueling media statements will mark the end of this doesn’t know Trump.  He’s already planning an appearance at the border tomorrow, to force the media to turn cameras on near it.

This is a shrewd strategy, since it’s very easy for coastal media elites to tell people on the border that there is no border security crisis, just as it’s easy for people with high-paying media jobs to tell unemployed construction workers that illegal immigration doesn’t undermine employment for Americans.

Stephen Kruiser at PJ Media perhaps summed up this arrogant cluelessness best when he blogged this comment:

“I've been waiting my entire adult life for a President who would tell the truth about the US/Mexico border. Most in the GOP bought into the ‘plucky worker who just wanted a better life’ narrative and wouldn't acknowledge any of the criminal activity. I lived 12 blocks from the border in 5th grade and we had drug smugglers arrested in our yard one night. This has been the reality in Arizona (more so than any other border state) for decades. The President was right about all of the problems…Now a bunch of people on the East Coast who have never been near this border for more than a day in their lives are going to ‘fact check’ and tell me I'm seeing things.”

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Immutable laws of life

Sarah's story

"Love your neighbor"

ISIS reduced to memes

• Joanne Catherine Schmidt

01/09/2019 05:16 PM

Dear Governor: I listened to President Trump's entire speech, but I don't recall him mentioning how effective the wall has already cut down illegal entry and its consequences in certain parts of the country (San Diego????). That would certainly disprove the Dem argument that a wall is ineffective. As to your point that Schumer et. al previously supported building a wall before Trump was president, why didn't the president mention that as well? Without the actual transcript of the speech in front of me, I'm wondering if I missed the above, but I don't think so. He needs your excellent counsel!!!

• Helen Walker

01/09/2019 05:15 PM

Would you please consider having a short prayer every week until the 2020 election for President Trump and his family - administration. I pray daily, but all of your viewers and audience together would get more people praying for this nation. Right now, evil seems to be winning. Thank you.

• Barbara Tarkington

01/09/2019 05:13 PM

You are right on, in my opinion.
    I worry so about our nation! I don't know how we can be so divided. I pray each day for God's will to be done. Our only hope is in Lord Jesus! MAGA!!!

• J Boswell

01/09/2019 05:12 PM

What happened to that 46 Billion to build no fewer than 700 miles of fencing on the Southern Border?

• Lawrence E. Foster

01/09/2019 05:08 PM

For all those pious souls who maintain the proposed border wall is "unchristian", I commend the 10th chapter of the Gospel of John, specifically the parable of the true shepherd. "Anyone who enters (the sheepfold) by other than the door is a thief". Americans will always welcome friends who come to the door, but will consider those who try to sneak in thieves and robbers.

• Craig A. Lobosky

01/09/2019 05:08 PM

Mike, I watched the President give a genuine heart felt speech, I believe he spoke the truth and the content was a reflection on how most Americans believe our security at the southern border has deteriorated. However it’s not just the southern border, it’s all inclusive of our shoreline. The only reason our shores are protected is due to the outstanding performance of the USCG, those that serve are surely not appreciated by most who have no idea of what these men and women sacrifice every day to keep us safe. The only reason they are sufficiently funded is the Democrats have not been able to undercut them as of yet. My son serves as well as his wife, they are caught up in this government shut-down, they have a family to support. As well as all those whom fall under the Homeland Security umbrella. They all deserve to be paid, unfortunately they are not being recognized for their commitment to duty, and are relying on financial support from their family members. Our Democrats are not in the least concerned about paying these Americans, they really don’t have to because those who are enlisted can’t just walk away from their jobs like a federal employed civilians. I recently e-mailed the White House expressing my support, for President Trump. Hopefully the Republicans don’t forget about what principles are important and remain in full support of the President.

• Jim Hysong

01/09/2019 05:05 PM

Once again we are faced with the question, does the left never learn that they cannot continue to underestimate DJT without getting their heads handed to them on a platter, or do they ever take a moment to reflect on the thought that maybe they are not so smart and that everyone does not agree with them. President Trump is playing with them at this point. He can build that wall anytime he chooses, but I think that he is prolonging it just a little bit longer so the Dems can demonstrate for everyone to see how clueless and self-serving that they really are. 2020 is going to be a cake walk! I think that Nancy is cutting her own head off and wonders where the blood at her feet came from!

• Lorena Dohl

01/09/2019 05:05 PM

I believe Pelosi and Schumer should be required (pressured, whatever) to visit the entire length of the border. Along with a number of other democrats who have their heads in the sand and don't know what's really going on in this country. They most likely have never been there and this would be a great educational experience for them. I'm tired of elected officials not knowing all the facts.

• Linda Osborne

01/09/2019 04:49 PM

I am so sickened by Pelosi & Schumer. Why are they trying to destroy our country? For votes and their progressive agenda that what. I love my country and our citizens deserve better than we’ve been getting for years. Democrats are the downfall of American

• Linda Osborne

01/09/2019 04:47 PM

• Audrey Stefanides

01/09/2019 04:45 PM

I thinkpresident Trump should invite Nancy and Chuck to go to the border with him. This way they all see and hear the same thing. And they should have an honest reporter with them. Also I think a helicopter should go to the border and drop business cards with the address of Nancy, Chuck, Feinstein, the late nite hosts, saying when you get to the U.S. They want to help you. Your welcome at their house.

• ROBERT MCFATE

01/09/2019 04:32 PM

Chuck and Nancy struck me as a couple of borrowed Disney automatons. Stiff and uninvolved.

• Sidney Fouty

01/09/2019 04:27 PM

I liked Sean Haninty's comment Pelosi and Schumer looked like SNL performance. Hahahaha

• Sandy Howard

01/09/2019 04:26 PM

clap-clap-clap Bravo to Mr. President and to you, Mike for this article. I saw Lindsey Graham on Fox News last night after the speech and I thought he said something profound: (paraphrasing) "The people who are not getting paychecks on time will eventually get all their back pay. But the people who have lost a loved one to illegal violence, will NEVER get their loved one back." I AGREE! I am also reminded (by the Bible) that we are for sure living in the last of the last days here. One day soon, they are going to get the one world system they crave, but they won't like it when they do.

• Jen James

01/09/2019 04:23 PM

With Pelosi and C SCHUMER I dream of term limits. So past time..

• Candy King

01/09/2019 04:21 PM

I just read an email from Judicial Watch telling of all the diseases that they are dealing with at the border right now. Some with diseases we have eradicated. Also the number of Central American women that are pregnant waiting to come into our country. Perhaps Pelosi and Schumer need to go to the border. I also read a story of a man that has illegal aliens arrested on his property in Arizona on a regular basis.

• James K Mills

01/09/2019 04:20 PM

Good article, Governor!
    My wife and I watch your program on TBN every week. Please keep up the good work!
    -- Jim and Valerie Mills

• Anthony Antelman

01/09/2019 04:19 PM

If the world wall is so offensive, just call it a 'tall sidewalk". :)

• Barbara A Klein

01/09/2019 04:14 PM

I watched the President last night and stayed tuned in for the "Dynamic Dippity Duo" to give their less than riveting statements. I thought President Trump was very presidential and believable. I have always been a proponent of a wall on our southern border. I did see last night that the main focus of the Democrats is to undermine President Trump in any way possible. They did not comment on the text of the President's speech, but focused instead on the DELAYED checks that 30% of the government workers will receive when the stoppage is over. I hope President Trump digs in deeper and calls the Dems' bluff. If he were to give in to their demands now, he would lose all sense of credibility and strength. I voted for him because of his campaign promises. So far, he has not let me down.

I had been making so many comments and shares on Facebook that I decided to take a break from the irritations and false allegations I was subjected to. I could not keep up with them. I was accused of sharing "false news" any time that I trumpeted (pun intended) our President's actions, integrity and strength. I'm glad that he does not cave in the face of those who cannot give the man any credit whatsoever and malign every thing he says and does. Melania fares no better to those who will give no quarter to anything our President and First Lady do or say. After I regain my politically vocal strength, I will again champion him and his plans for a greater America!

• Pat Kennedy

01/09/2019 03:59 PM

First, I just can't bring myself to watch Chuck and Nancy, I tried. The issue that is constantly being brought up is about citizens propensity for criminal behavior and illegal immigrant (trespassing aside) criminal behavior. Are the democrats offering to trade out citizen violent felons? If so, I would like to see that (tongue in cheek), but this false comparison insinuates that we should take on more criminals though the numbers are lower? We already have over one million incarcerated and probably a million more need to be prosecuted but, alas, Justice is blind and somehow that is synonymous with stupid. And the rights of the few seem to outweigh the rights of the rest of us or the victims, allowing free roaming gangs.

I do remember that Jesus did say in Matthew 13:22 (parable in part) As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful.

Which to me even good caring can be unfruitful and entangling, losing sight of the prize that Paul aspires us to keep an eye on. Does this concern us, as Christians? Consider John chapter 21, what Jesus says to Peter.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

• Steve Sega

01/09/2019 03:54 PM

Did anyone notice how dilated Pelosi's eyes were? Did they give her tranquilizers to settle her down? And what was with all the US flags behind them? Sick of US citizens pointing out how Democrats quit using US flags a few years ago so they had to overdo it this time?

• Rita Dickerson

01/09/2019 03:42 PM

I live in Zapata, Tx on Falcon Lake so I am almost literally “on” border. I have witnessed and reported a drug deal while driving to Laredo (I actually saw that they caught him), heard a boat from Mexico come into the cove below our back yard at night, been warned to lock our doors because Hondurans have been smuggled in and they didn’t catch them all, etc.!! They have a few blimps down here which really work but Border Patrol can’t be everywhere. I worked in the Felony criminal courts in Fort Worth for 20+ years and I report anything I see that raises a red flag but I work with a Hispanic lady at church that lives in an area where she knows there are drugs and illegals coming in and she says nothing - I guess out of fear and she thinks Border Patrol agents are being paid off.

I don’t want a wall built on or along the lake but something seriously needs to be done to stop this. The blimps work here because there is already a “natural” impediment that does give officers more time. I definitely support the wall in other locals.

I love your columns - keep up the good work!! My dad and stepmom, from Daisy, Ar. were big fans!

• Patty Hager

01/09/2019 03:40 PM

Read your comment and I continue to support our President despite the liberal agenda against him. Thank you for your positive remarks Mr. Huckabee. Our government is in a mess but it certainly isn’t because of Mr. Trump. Hatred does terrible things to people and the fact is the Democrats hate that he is succeeding. They can’t control him. He is following through with his promises and this wall he wants built? We need it. I am tired of seeing illegals cross our borders and then receive benefits our people should be getting. Our people being thosebif us who have worked hard our lives and are entitled to good healthcare and their retirement. But we are being beaten down by lies and inuendos coming from the likes of Schumer and Pelosi and others who deny a problem exists. They are blinded by anger that they did not build the wall when they had the opportunity but no, their president had his own agenda on his plate. My prayer is that Donald Trump and Mike Pence remain strong in their pursuit of leading this country back to power. I pray that those who are fighting them will be pulled off their pedestals of power that have gone to their heads. They no longer consider the people who put them into power but rather their own their own selfish egos. So sad!

• Nancy L Knauss

01/09/2019 03:37 PM

As always we love and enjoy your take on events. We watched the President's speech and felt it was honest, factual and heart felt, to tell us all he cares about our security and safety. This is the only President in my life time that I knew "what I was getting" before he was elected. We still support him and what he's trying so very hard to accomplish for America and her people. Pelosi and Shumer down right made me ill to even give them a minute of my time to hear their nonsense - I left the room while my husband watched them. Wake up America, support this President, he wins, we win, short and simple. I did not vote for Obama but I had hope that he'd do the right "thing" for America. Not. One of the worst Presidents' in my opinion.

• Annette Burger

01/09/2019 03:32 PM

Why do we pay these clowns when the gov. is shut down? We need term limits for Senators and Representatives.
    We should not be funding Planned Parenthood and the next time you are having a bad day, just remember, somewhere there is a Mr. Pelosi!!!
    I wish I had thought about poor UGA wearing that red outfit! Thanks.

President Trump's Speech

January 9, 2019

So to sum up the substance:

Pelosi and Schumer: Want to protect government workers from missing a paycheck.

With that out of the way, let’s look at the style.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Immutable laws of life

Sarah's story

"Love your neighbor"

ISIS reduced to memes

• Joanne Catherine Schmidt

01/09/2019 05:16 PM

• Helen Walker

01/09/2019 05:15 PM

• Barbara Tarkington

01/09/2019 05:13 PM

You are right on, in my opinion.

• J Boswell

• Sidney Fouty

01/09/2019 04:27 PM

• Sandy Howard

01/09/2019 04:26 PM

• Jen James

01/09/2019 04:23 PM

With Pelosi and C SCHUMER I dream of term limits. So past time..

• Candy King

01/09/2019 04:21 PM

• James K Mills

01/09/2019 04:20 PM

Good article, Governor!
    -- Jim and Valerie Mills

• Anthony Antelman

01/09/2019 04:19 PM

If the world wall is so offensive, just call it a 'tall sidewalk". :)

• Barbara A Klein

01/09/2019 04:14 PM

• Pat Kennedy

01/09/2019 03:59 PM

Thanks for listening to my rant.

• Steve Sega

01/09/2019 03:54 PM

• Rita Dickerson

01/09/2019 03:42 PM

• Patty Hager

01/09/2019 03:40 PM

• Nancy L Knauss

01/09/2019 03:37 PM

• Annette Burger

01/09/2019 03:32 PM

I wish I had thought about poor UGA wearing that red outfit! Thanks.

President Trump's Speech

January 9, 2019

So to sum up the substance:

Pelosi and Schumer: Want to protect government workers from missing a paycheck.

With that out of the way, let’s look at the style.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Immutable laws of life

Sarah's story

"Love your neighbor"

ISIS reduced to memes

• Joanne Catherine Schmidt

01/09/2019 05:16 PM

• Helen Walker

01/09/2019 05:15 PM

• Barbara Tarkington

01/09/2019 05:13 PM

You are right on, in my opinion.

• J Boswell

• Sidney Fouty

01/09/2019 04:27 PM

• Sandy Howard

01/09/2019 04:26 PM

• Jen James

01/09/2019 04:23 PM

With Pelosi and C SCHUMER I dream of term limits. So past time..

• Candy King

01/09/2019 04:21 PM

• James K Mills

01/09/2019 04:20 PM

Good article, Governor!
    -- Jim and Valerie Mills

• Anthony Antelman

01/09/2019 04:19 PM

If the world wall is so offensive, just call it a 'tall sidewalk". :)

• Barbara A Klein

01/09/2019 04:14 PM

• Pat Kennedy

01/09/2019 03:59 PM

Thanks for listening to my rant.

• Steve Sega

01/09/2019 03:54 PM

• Rita Dickerson

01/09/2019 03:42 PM

• Patty Hager

01/09/2019 03:40 PM

• Nancy L Knauss

01/09/2019 03:37 PM

• Annette Burger

01/09/2019 03:32 PM

I wish I had thought about poor UGA wearing that red outfit! Thanks.