President Trump's Speech

January 9, 2019

I hope you watched President Trump’s brief address last night on border security, and Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer’s response.  If not, click here:

The media being as it is these days, coverage mostly focused on attempts to twist and hair-split any of the statistics Trump cited, as if that would refute his entire premise that it’s not a good idea for the US to have a porous national border and to be hosting anywhere from 11 to 30 million illegal residents.  There’s also a tendency to focus on style over substance, as if nitpicking Trump’s vocal inflections, necktie, or decision to speak from the Oval Office would refute the importance of what he was saying.  So I’m going to buck the trend and discuss the substance first:

Watching the leaders of both parties speak on the same issue back-to-back gave me, and I’d bet many other Americans, a strong and unmistakable sense of the priorities of each party.  Trump spoke of the vital importance of national security, enforcing laws, stopping the flow of deadly drugs, and protecting Americans from criminal illegal aliens who have killed, assaulted, raped and robbed thousands of US citizens.  Pelosi and Schumer seemed obsessed with one thing only: getting the government reopened. They repeatedly downplayed the stats and tragic stories quoted by Trump, dismissing the whole issue of border security as a manufactured crisis (I doubt they’d say that if one of their own family members had been victimized, but then, they have armed security.)  It was blindingly obvious that to them, the real crisis was that a fraction of the government was shut down, and some federal workers’ checks might be delayed.

So to sum up the substance:

Trump:  Wants to protect Americans from drugs, gangs, terrorists and the crippling economic effects of illegal immigration and to protect migrants from a dangerous journey inspired by the belief that our border is easy to cross illegally.

Pelosi and Schumer: Want to protect government workers from missing a paycheck.

With that out of the way, let’s look at the style.

Trump chose to address America from the Oval Office in prime time, which indicates how serious he considers this issue to be.  This lends a gravitas that no tweet storm can match. I’m sure he wanted to appear “Presidential” and convey the seriousness of the issue, even though some critics complained that he seemed more subdued than usual and just stuck to the prepared script.  I’m sure he knew that if he dared go off script by even a semi-colon, the media would be waiting to pounce and claim he made a “gaffe” (or as they call that, a “LIE!!!”)  So at the risk of seeming less loose and animated than he does at his rallies, he stuck to the script and spoke with seriousness and compassion about Americans who have lost loved ones because of violent criminals who never would have been on US soil if everyone in government took immigration law enforcement seriously.

As for Pelosi and Schumer:  As the overwhelming response online shows, if we were grading this on style points, it would be a Trump blowout.  He didn’t have to give the performance of a lifetime, he just had to come across better than them, and they set the bar so low a worm couldn’t limbo under it.

Standing side-by-side and staring with disturbing intensity into the camera like the great-grandparents of the “Children of the Damned”…

…Schumer and Pelosi inspired many creative metaphors and memes. They were described as “wooden,” “transparently disingenuous,” and “embalmed;” resembling morticians; the zombie version of “American Gothic;” “what you see when you show up at the gates of Hell;” “look like they’re selling me a reverse mortgage” (Greg Gutfeld); and this gem from Ken Webster Jr: “They look like the neighbors who you didn't wanna invite to the block party but did anyway because you ran into them at the grocery store.”

You know it was a bad night for the Democrats when even Stephen Colbert is creating memes making fun of them.

Moving past the Gomez and Morticia visuals, Speaker Pelosi also displayed an annoying verbal tic of repeating the phrase, “The fact is…”  I understand why she or her writers chose to do this: it plays into the media-driven narrative that Republicans only offer lies and misrepresentations while the left is a veritable fountain of incontrovertible facts.  I know this to be a big trough of hogwash because I’ve made a pretty good living in the media over the past decade, mostly by offering factual rebuttals to liberal talking points.

The fact is that saying “the fact is” doesn’t necessarily mean you’re about to hear anything approaching a fact.  When it’s coming from the likes of Pelosi and Schumer, it’s actually a pretty good indicator that you’re about to hear something that’s not a fact.  That, and their lips are moving.

Say, here’s an actual fact: as recently as 2013, Chuck Schumer was among all the 54 Democrats then in the Senate who voted to provide $46 billion to build “no fewer than 700 miles of fencing” on our Southern border. That’s over nine times the amount of funding Trump is requesting now.  Apparently, the rules of morality have changed since then, or else walls aren’t immoral if you call them “fences.”

Meanwhile, anyone who thinks the dueling media statements will mark the end of this doesn’t know Trump.  He’s already planning an appearance at the border tomorrow, to force the media to turn cameras on near it.

This is a shrewd strategy, since it’s very easy for coastal media elites to tell people on the border that there is no border security crisis, just as it’s easy for people with high-paying media jobs to tell unemployed construction workers that illegal immigration doesn’t undermine employment for Americans.

Stephen Kruiser at PJ Media perhaps summed up this arrogant cluelessness best when he blogged this comment:

“I've been waiting my entire adult life for a President who would tell the truth about the US/Mexico border. Most in the GOP bought into the ‘plucky worker who just wanted a better life’ narrative and wouldn't acknowledge any of the criminal activity. I lived 12 blocks from the border in 5th grade and we had drug smugglers arrested in our yard one night. This has been the reality in Arizona (more so than any other border state) for decades. The President was right about all of the problems…Now a bunch of people on the East Coast who have never been near this border for more than a day in their lives are going to ‘fact check’ and tell me I'm seeing things.”

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

The "Gender Pay Gap"

Stand up for what you think is right

Pelosi takes it back

• Bonnie LeBoeuf

01/09/2019 03:29 PM

POTUS needs to stop with the childish tantrums & ultimatums. He needs to stop holding the federal workers hostage, open up the government & fight the immigration battles as a single item. If “cares so much for the workers” he would stop the my way or the highway antics. I am so done with him. He lies when the truth would sound better. He is simply POTUS & not King Trump. I feel he has destroyed the Republican Party that I believed in!!!! And as he likes to say “ so sad for the American people”.

• Patricia Barilow

01/09/2019 03:26 PM

I wish they would stop all foreign aid until our borders are secured. Why in the world would I want my tax dollars going to areas that hate us. My tax dollars should be going to benefit our country. As long as we have homeless vets, there should be no money leaving our country to help someone else secure their boarders. It's about time we have a decision how our tax money is spent. Too bad the newspapers don't tell the full story. I'm 85 and have donated to the Go Fund Me account to pay for the boarder wall....let's see it happen. While I am on my soap box. Immigration reform needs to be addressed, OR THE PROBLEM WILL CONTINUE. The citizenship given to a child born here of illegal immigrants SHOULD CEASE. Don't know how it ever came to be in the first place.

• Theresa Bates

01/09/2019 03:25 PM

I got the distinct impression that Pelosi and Schumer were responding to nothing. They were pontificating, and their words were crafted before President Trump uttered a word. They "responded" to what they thought he was going to say. And they were focused on the sad state of those federal workers whose paychecks will be delayed. They will be to blame for this travesty. Even one of the reporters we saw, a mainstream media talking head now reporting from the Border, has had a change of heart. She has now seen what the Border Patrol is facing, and a physical barrier would definitely help. Nations worldwide have immigration laws which they enforce, border fences and walls where there aren't raging rivers (the Rio Grande is fairly shallow in most places, and in some is sometimes a mere trickle, so it doesn't count as a topographical barrier). This IS a crisis; if we don't realize the extent to which tons of lethal drugs come across the vulnerable points of the border, and if we don't recognize the fact that there ARE dangerous people coming across every day, be they violent felons from Mexico and Central America or terrorists embedded among the large groups, we are just sticking our heads in the sand and ignoring the truth. We do need border controls; we've needed those controls for a century and we haven't done a thing in all that time to deal with the issues. It just gets worse and why anyone in either political party would choose to continue ignoring the obvious is simply beyond me. We have other things we need to do to shore up some of this, but right now, we must give the Border Patrol agents some help. Drones? Yeah, we already have those. Helicopters and other aircraft? We have those, too. Land-based patrols? Yep, four-wheel drive vehicles patrol the border. But with the vast amount of open space and the number of miles of open border, all of these methods operating on maximum capability simply cannot stop the flow of people and contraband. That's WHY we need a physical barrier that is at least a greater deterrent than open space. We need a lot more than that, too, but some of those issues have to do with some strengthening of the laws (convenience marriages, anchor babies, etc., need to be dealt with). I'm just a lone citizen with zero clout. But those who do have clout need to get reasonable and see clearly what is needed and why we need it.

• Kathy Novikoff

01/09/2019 03:15 PM

Regarding President Trumps speech last night...……. IT was spot on ! I agree 100%
    Regarding the 2 democrats responses: Not one time did either mention the US Citizens rights and well being.
    every morning the new here in the Los Angeles are reports multiple shootings, murders, rape, vandalism and petty theft.
    It is all bad and getting worse thanks to the Liberal mentality regarding the boarder and ILLIGAL migration.
    My thoughts are: The border agents, instead of releasing illegals at the border, they should put them in busses and release them
    in Sacramento and San Francisco. Maybe our new governor, Mr. Moonbeam Junior, will gladly put them up inside his gated home.
    SICK SICK SICK of the relentless bickering going on in Congress...………… Where is President Trumps Republican Backing...…..

• Sam L Kemp

01/09/2019 03:12 PM

Governor,
    I did watch the President's speech. But honestly, I could not listen to but a mere 2 minutes of Pelosi & Schumer. I'm sorry Governor, but this is one of those times when there are NOT 2 sides to a story!

• Mary W Danos

01/09/2019 03:12 PM

What a wonderful person you are Mike. You were so correct on your description of Pelosi and Schumer. I know the GOP needs a lot of tune ups but the Dems are going down the drain asap. May God bless both you and Trump and Sarah also. You are in our prayers. Keep up the good work. WE NEED A WALL, FENCE OR WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT.

• Tom Blacka

01/09/2019 03:03 PM

Pelosi and Schumer, ("Peschumer" or "Schelosi") are indeed themselves the poster children of why we need term limits for politicians.

• Gretchen Grant

01/09/2019 02:57 PM

As a proud supporter of President Donald Trump I listened to every word of his address last night. After two sentences out of Pelosi's mouth I turned the TV off. I'm happy to note I wasn't the only one who noticed the wooden faces staring out at me. Ms. Pelosi must have spent hours in the makeup artist's chair to look as though she was ready for the coffin.

• Larry and Christine Kerner

01/09/2019 02:57 PM

We are having such a hard time wondering why people fight him at every turn and the job he is trying to do. The shutdown should have been just the House and Senate and Congress. If they lost their paychecks, would they be more willing to sit down and talk things out and make decisions if they were the ones not paying their bills? This would include the Speaker of the House, all the 'officials'. If the 'parents can't work things out, the innocent children suffer'. We keep praying for God's solution in this as well as other conflicts. The wall is not President Trump's wall, it belongs to all of us. We know Jesus is in the middle of this but people can be so stubborn when they want their own way.

• Mary McCauley

01/09/2019 02:52 PM

Nancy and Chuckie reminded me of some patronizing, uncoolest parents ever They don't us to hang around with that kid Trump

• Marjorie Pregitzer

01/09/2019 02:49 PM

When illegals enter the U.S. they should be immediately rounded up, housed in a warehouse like building and within 48 hours put on a bus and taken back into Mexico and dropped off fifty miles south of the border. No freebies when they arrive. No soft bed, no big meal. Anyone knowingly in this country caught hiring illegals should be fined $25,000 a month for as many months as that illegal may have worked for him, and/or $300 a day if the illegal only worked for a short duration at any one place. This would make illegal/cheap labor less appealing to those who would hire them and they (the illegals) would know that their possibility of finding a job a lot more difficult.

• Norman R Able

01/09/2019 02:47 PM

What a wonderful analysis of President Trump speech and the need for the wall! Thanks for getting the facts out there with graphic description! You make it plain and to the point. People need to read your articles. Hope millions do. No media help except Fox News. God bless America, and I hope America will bless God!

• Gail Walla

01/09/2019 02:46 PM

I wish I could at least understand the thinking of the Democrats but I can't. I hear them, but I don't understand their thinking.

• Elaine Liming

01/09/2019 02:42 PM

I really enjoyed your newsletter today. I would like to say AMEN. The investigator and news person Maclin wrote an article on how many politicians have made monuments to themselves--the costly Boston Big Dig---Moonbeam Ca. the rapid transit system---plus others; she quoted facts about each one. These were all not received by American citizens as necessary, but politicians got their way. She ends by saying that the Go to Fund by American citizens has raised 16 million for the Wall and she quoted 325,245 have said they want the Wall.
    I will send you the article first chance I get. I like this young women's style.

• Michael Hobson

01/09/2019 02:37 PM

Trump should have gone further. Take away the incentive to cross our borders. Jobs. How? Put into effect, that every business must E-verify all new hires. Then do what we seldom do with the 1099 forms. Verify actual payrolls of a business. Introduce stiff penalties for non compliance and jail time for HR people and executives, owners who fail to comply.
    Secondly, offer DACA signees amenesty if they meet required conditions, such as registration , passing of citizenship test and paying a $10,000 fine(payable over a period of time, but would have to be paid, before citizenships is granted.

• Barbara Kane

01/09/2019 02:36 PM

We need this wall and I hope and pray Trump out smarts these people to get it done very soon!

• Barbara (Babs) Summerhill

01/09/2019 02:35 PM

I believe we as citizens of this great country should declare that the US Congress is irresponsible, incompetent, & incapable of governing our nation. In fact they are a clear & presence danger to the USA. They have turned a deaf ear to the voters, their constituents, and they have totally ignored & attemped to abolish the constitution and they show no respect for our duly elected president. Speaker Pelosi should be representing all people of the USA. Paul Ryan was no different. Chuck Schumer is self humiliating & Mitch McConnell has not been stellar either. We should be calling for their impeachment or resignations and have a total do over in a fair election process. I pray President Trump stands firm in his position on this wall. He has adequately pointed out the hypocrisy of all of this. And! There is a burden of responsibility on the republicans who were too weak & disjointed to stand together in support of President Trump when they had the majority.

• Robert Ginn

01/09/2019 02:23 PM

Mike, perhaps I repeat myself, but, here I go...This endless farce is, among other things, about distracting the American electorate from the obscenity that is the "Clinton factor". Once the genie is out of that bottle heads will roll! This "red herring" just follows a defense scam of "delay, deny and destroy". I am convinced of this ploy. And, so far, its working. And the "Nancy's" and "Chuckies" are good at it, aided and abetted by Trump's taking every bit of bait proffered.

• Milan S. Campbell

01/09/2019 02:21 PM

Really appreciate you standing up and speaking out on issues. We need more like you.

• William Olesky

01/09/2019 02:15 PM

I just wish that the demrats and the Gop can get something done why did they send 54 billion to other countries does any countries send us money enough is enough just BUILD THE fence and move on to other things. Thank you

• Mac Calhoun

01/09/2019 02:12 PM

I hope and pray that President Trump will stand firm because he is trying to do what is right for America!

• Rosemarie O'Neil

01/09/2019 02:08 PM

Thank you again for your clarity and insight on another important issue of the day! I look forward to your comments and read them every day!

• Jeanette Bowers

01/09/2019 02:07 PM

I think you should ask again if the President should declare a National Emergency to build the wall. I know I would answer yes, whereas before, I was undecided.

• Mike Spears

01/09/2019 02:05 PM

Gov Huckabee: Thank you for addressing this topic. I think what we really need to do is to challenge Schumer, Pelosi, and the rest of the Dems to offer-up their plan for securing the border by using drones and "other technology as they've repeatedly said. They all seem to say that a wall (or fence) or other type barrier will not work. They say they, too are concerned about border security, but want to do it a better, cheaper, more effective way. Well what is it that they propose? They need to offer up their definition or statement of the problem and then offer their solutions. Finally, they must demonstrate that their solutions will work better and cheaper than President Trump's solutions. I don't remember hearing any of that from Schumer or Pelosi last night. I mean they did vote for a wall or a fence in 2006. What has changed since then? AND - What now makes the wall or fence "immoral?

• Peter Rhoads

01/09/2019 02:04 PM

My most memorable moment of media stupidity was when a woman - can't remember which network - told us that last yearn only six (6) terrorists where arrested at the border - the implication being that the whole wall thing was a waste of money.
    Since it took only 19 terrorists to murder nearly 3000 of us and 6 goes into 19 roughly 3 times I assume that if 6 terrorists working in concert were to kill only 1000 of us that would be only a minor distraction to this lady

President Trump's Speech

January 9, 2019

So to sum up the substance:

Pelosi and Schumer: Want to protect government workers from missing a paycheck.

With that out of the way, let’s look at the style.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

The "Gender Pay Gap"

01/09/2019 02:05 PM

• Peter Rhoads

01/09/2019 02:04 PM

President Trump's Speech

January 9, 2019

So to sum up the substance:

Pelosi and Schumer: Want to protect government workers from missing a paycheck.

With that out of the way, let’s look at the style.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

The "Gender Pay Gap"