From Tom:

Okay, I want to challenge you with personal action and a question. Firstly, you say you read these; well, prove it, Mike.  Respond to my question, and that is what the hell happened to our two-party system? Why is it that this President has few in his own party supporting him. We should not forget that Mitch McConnell could have allowed a Senate vote and this President could have gone on to build the wall we need. But the Senate leader refused, citing a political environment problem –- (bleep), he sold this President out. So prove my cynical brain wrong and write back to me...with your answer about the Republican Party.

From me:

Tom, you do have a cynical brain if you think I don’t read the comments. It’s just impossible to follow up on each one personally, so we try to address a representative few in the newsletter.

As for the two-party system, America’s founders foresaw the hazards of that and did not want it, but that’s the way the political power struggle evolved, and in very short order.

They also wanted to put obstacles in the way of government assuming too much power and acting too quickly, and in that sense they have at least partially succeeded. Even if all the Republicans managed to walk in lockstep, they still would have only a small majority in the Senate. It takes 60 votes, “cloture,” for Sen. McConnell to end a filibuster and get a bill to the floor for a vote, and that requires the defection of some Democrats.  That’s the “political environment problem” he was referring to.  Under the iron hand of Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, that’s not likely to happen, even with the more moderate “blue dog” Dems, which are an endangered species, as they are increasingly marginalized by rabidly progressive/socialist types such as Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren (and, in the House, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who is pushing for primary challenges against all of them).

Interestingly, we’re just starting to see some cracks in the Dems’ armor over this far-far-left celebration of late term abortion/infanticide. It will be interesting to see what happens there. Maybe there is actually an ethical line that a fewDemocrats will not cross.  But I digress.

If keeping the Republicans together seems about like herding feral cats, one factor is that certain states just aren’t as conservative as others.  That’s the reality –- Maine isn’t South Carolina. The senators we have are the ones who can get elected in their respective states. If we want that to change, then more right-leaning candidates are going to have to run and gain support in more states. It’s going to take a conservative grass-roots effort.

Another factor in this:  the Republican politicians who are the most vocally anti-Trump get the most media attention, and they are well aware of that. Jeff Flake knew the CNN cameras would focus on him with adoration whenever he tried to get in the way of “Trump’s wall.” John McCain (rest his soul) knew that he could always count on lavishpraise from the New York Times when he criticized members of his own party. The mainstream media loved him –- until he was actually running for office against a Democrat; then he became the enemy.

Those “never-Trumpers” within the Republican Party need to face reality: even if they find a conservative-enough Democrat to help elect, that person will inevitably end up bowing to the omnipotent leftist leaders in House and Senate. Then they’ll blame Mitch McConnell instead of the “political environment” they themselves helped create. They should imagine when they mark their ballot for ANY Democrat that they are, in effect, marking it for Nancy Pelosi or Chuck Schumer. (If that doesn’t cure them, I don’t know what will.) And they need to work on getting more conservative Republicans into office.

We as individuals have to decide to make a difference.  As another reader wrote (see, I read them), “I can lay down and be part of the problem or I can stand up and fight back, even if it’s in a small way.”  He felt guilty that he had quit writing his blog and wanted to start back, with more of a promotional push this time. This is the kind of thing we should all do --- especially those of us in more moderately-red states.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Schiff can't keep hiding Ciaramella and the coup

The fight over "crying baby Trump"

The fight over "crying baby Trump"

Schiff can't keep hiding Ciaramella and the coup

• Patsy Ann Martin

02/03/2019 06:37 PM

I believe as long as Pelosi has her Sceptre( gavel ) she thinks she is inexposable. But the mighty shall fall and so great will be the fall, all will feel the effect of it. Whether it will be good pr bad will be up to those who remain standing after the great fall. Remember Rome fell in a day.

• Richard Edler

02/03/2019 06:22 PM

Great answer to Tom. You really clarified the system we have to understand and work to fix. Good information like this is really helps as a lot of us are novices when it comes to understanding Congress and the political games. You are right. We have to be more proactive and make the difference. The Dems in control want us to hate and feel desperate and to give up. Instead, we have to stick together harder and push back harder and move our red line into their territory. We have so many brave men and women who fought for our country and died and continue to fight for us today. We have a duty to help them keep America safe and free as patriots. It is our job to be better and stronger and more clever and make this country better for them and for our children. We can do this through peace and intellect and strategies like placing more Republicans in office and taking back our country. We can honor Dr. King and other leaders who advised all races to work together and use peaceful ways to find solutions. Yes, we are tired and frustrated; but no more so than our soldiers on the front lines. They have to stay strong and can never give up nor do they want to. We have to believe in each other and keep the hope and faith and do this together. We can do this. And they know it, which is why they are showing us all their cards and who they really are. They are desperate and scared. Be patient. Be resilient. Be smart. Be a better chess player. Band together. They will never be able to tear us apart; we are too strong and we were raised well and have good morals and ethics and worked hard. We are the A team. Never ever give up. God is with all of us and so is Governor Huckabee and our young men and women in service and our children. We will MAGA and KAG. It is our legacy. We can do this and make a difference by staying involved and many steps ahead of them. They are already digging their own holes and burying themselves. Their own egos will destroy them. We have always been humble and grateful and they don’t know how to do either. They can’t even communicate with their own countrymen and women. Shame on them but victories for us. Look for the victories and keep posting all the good news. Drown them in our victories and Pres. Trump’s victories that are on the people’s behalf. He loves Americans and we need to push forward that message over and over again.

No one wants socialism. Keep educating and informing people about the truth.

• Joan Liska

02/03/2019 06:13 PM

I live in a very BLUE state (Connecticut). Every issue I care about my "representatives" (being all Dems) are on the opposite polar end of the spectrum from my position(s).

2nd Amendment: this is the state of Sandy Hook. The powers that be play on the emotions of that very tragic event and can't see the forest for the trees. Those little angels would be still here if schools were not "gun free" zones and if the mother of the killer didn't foolishly have firearms in the home of a very troubled son because she thought she could bond with him by teaching him firearm handling. (She paid the ultimately price for her naivete and so didn't all those innocents.) Law abiding citizens did not cause that shooting and should not be deprived of their right to protect themselves and their families. Criminals will always thumb their nose at all the laws these "Progressives" want to pass. The 2nd Amendment will keep us safer than not having the 2nd Amendment. Ask Venezuela.

Abortion: I'm pro-choice, but only for LIMITED reasons and first trimester. After that, only for the life of the mother and certainly no selling of fetal body parts for profit!

Religious freedom: A Christian business owner should be able to politely decline to make special cakes or art work if the customer's request goes against their religious beliefs. No business owner should lose their business to defend their religious choices.

Education: The colleges only permit "Progressive" thinking on their campuses which then turns out future teachers of America to only teach a "Progressive" agenda (for generations now) which apparently is to alter historical perspective to label American history and exceptionalism as bad (despite American participation in WWII saving the world from Nazism Fascism and the Japanese red wave amongst other notable leadership around the world) and to preach against religion and for sexual promiscuity and deviated behavior. Our education system has failed too many of its students by not preparing them for the real world experience (i.e. how to make a living and pay for expenses) beyond the classroom.

Taxes: Dems continue to be creative to add new taxes and increase old taxes as their "cure" for their SPENDING ADDICTION. It's bankrupting this state and sending businesses and residents fleeing to other states.

Fraudulent voting: I'm fairly certain that absentee ballots and other shady vote counting were used to steal the last 3 elections and probably many elections before that. All of the late ballot counts somehow favored the Dems. Funny about that coincidence. I've noticed that other states have reported fraudulent voting and funny how they too seem to favor the Dems. Hmmm.

Tough to deal with the twisted, narrow minded Liberals when they have been indoctrinated that they are right and you are wrong. Even tougher when all your elected officials are Liberal. (sigh)

• MARIE M DAHL

02/03/2019 06:09 PM

Thanks for responding to Tom's comment. Perhaps this will help a lot of people to understand just what the Republicans and our President are up against. You always provide great insight to so many things. That's why I love reading what you have to say. Thanks for all you do to set things straight.

Marie

• Eric H Read

02/03/2019 06:07 PM

In reading this article (your reply to another reader), I was struck by the idea of laying down or standing up and doing something. It triggered in my mind a quote I saw at Fort Gordon, GA many years ago (1959 to be exact). On a bulletin board of one of the old company buildings was a picture and this quotation: I am alone. Still I am one. I cannot do much, but still I can do something." Years later I discovered that it had come from the Revolutionary War Era. My vote might not sway an election, but it could make an even bigger difference if I stayed home and didn't vote at all. We need to start thinking outside the box, so to speak, and get involved in whatever way(s) we can. Talking to friends, voting, and even contributing to a campaign when we can. "I cannot do much. Still, I can do something!"

• David E Steuber

02/03/2019 06:01 PM

Fair 'nuff. But why didn't McConnell at least force a vote on cloture to make the moderate Dems take a stand with the crazies? Who knows? Some of them from purple states might have cracked. Stranger things have happened. At least they would have had to go on the record against the wall, which might help their opponents in the next election. What's to lose?

• Norris Harod

02/03/2019 05:59 PM

What happened to the Reconciliation Bill the House passed that the Senate could have passed with 51 votes? That is the one that died due to McConnell inaction-- not due to 60 votes. And we know he can stop the filibuster after awhile without 60 votes. Why does everyone seem to think we don't know the rules or our Constitution? We are beyond being mad for being lied to. Have you listened to Mitch lately? He has lots of excuses while he tight ropes pretending he is for immigration reform. He personally cost us the Alabama seat by opposing the Primary winner and not defending him against the false news--much like they hit Kananaugh with. Mitch also got us our Alaska senator by encouraging the write-in to beat out the Primary winner. This is beyond disgusting and dishonest!!!!

• Dee Hay

02/03/2019 05:57 PM

Tom's frustration with the Republicans is wide felt. Unfortunately, I think our conservative nature is our weakness. The Israelite nation went down the same road to disaster. They knew that when they threw God out of their lives and sacrificed their children to the gods things weren't going to end well. Isaiah, Jeremiah and others warned them of the consequences plenty of times. But we can give the Israelite's a little slack, for the most part they couldn't read, so history wasn't as clear to them. We cannot use that excuse, we know better!

When God was removed from the classroom and public square, we didn't stand up. When Roe V Wade became law we didn't stand up. When our MORAL values became RELEVANT, we didn't stand up. When our children, and a lot of us, began worshiping human idol stars, we didn't stand up. We, as the Israelite's learned, are headed for a very bad day.

• Stephen Russell

02/03/2019 05:37 PM

Feel with reader about GOP:
    RINOs & little action, leadership from House, Senate mgmt.
    RINOs do more damage then the Dems since out of no where XYZ occurs.
    Sample: Mitt Romney & McCain issues with President.
    GOP Fails on these:
    Lack Unity
    NOT reaching minority groups.
    Begging for money & NO results seen ( get bombarded by NRSC ads).
    Too few minority Republicans visible IE Herman Cain.
    No Inner City Republicans.
    2 White.
    Party ethnically doesnt represent People as does DNC.
    Play with the Dems vs stopping agenda.
    & maybe the 2 Party System is dead.
    Another angry Voter comment.
    Add to overall nationwide feeling

• Hank Cincere

02/03/2019 05:34 PM

As another frustrated Republican, Mitch should use the nuclear option versus whimping out. The Republicans wasted 2 years having both house and Senate and didn't have the spine to support our/Trump's agenda. I no longer donate to the party.

• M.P.Carroll

02/03/2019 05:30 PM

Republicans, like Martha McSally, might as well register as Democrats. I tire of "politicians" who tell us they represent us, but vote contrary to the wishes of their constituents. They ask for our $$$ for their campaigns promising to represent us, then as soon as they get to D.C., they forget where they came from and are "schooled" in the ways of Washington politics -- which is essentially, "take the money and run". Call me a cynical Republican, but I am tired of our POTUS not being supported fully by his own party.

• Bill Howell

02/03/2019 05:30 PM

The Republican party is always ashing me for support/donation and I cannot support them when they don't support the President. Next they need to get off their back side and do their job. As a Republican I am very disappoint with them and so are my Republican friends.

• Helen Ruch

02/03/2019 05:28 PM

Mike I met you in Cocoa, Florida and watch your Saturday show every week and I love you and your daughter. My 2 questions are this 1. Did the Republicans do anything of significance when they were the majority??? 2. How can the demons, I mean Democrat’s have the right to kill a child outside the womb???? MURDER has always been against the law. It is getting so evil, what they are doing.... I’m constantly amazed.

• ANN L BRUCE-PINEDA

02/03/2019 05:15 PM

Brother Mike: Our pastor rarely preaches on politics. This is probably the first sermon I've heard to show me whether he was a Democrat or a Republican; but he's from Virginia. Today he preached on the words of Jesus saying the world will not love us. He asked if we've ever been ashamed to be called Christians and warned that the time may come when we will be persecuted for being Christians, even in the States. He's finishing Mark and was on Jesus's prediction that Peter would deny him three times before the cock crowed twice. Zec. 13:7 "... the sheep will scatter." Today there was a Presidential election here in San Salvador, where our pastor founded and overses an amazing farm home called Casa de Mi Padre or My Father's House. He reported today that, even though one of the candidates says he is Roman Catholic or Christian (I'm not sure what he said, but his dad was a Muslim.), there are 60 mosques in El Salvador. He has been photographed in a mosque in Mexico. Another candidate, though very capable and intelligent, is represented by the party which supported Maduro and his young female VP candidate as well as the old guard are rabidly loyal to the Maduro regime. Please, please pray for El Salvador. Notice that the symbol for one of the candidates looks like an Islamic symbol (the moon and a dagger) even though he calls it a swallow. As a foreigner, I couldn't really say this publicly. Even though my family members are citizens, I've been here since 1973 and am a resident, I am not allowed to participate in politics. God bless you and your family.

• Rebecca Overton

02/03/2019 05:05 PM

Thanks, Mike and Tom.... Tom, you must not be married or ever raised kids it you'd see just how like a "normal" family the Republicans are. You see, Tom, Demalogs win because despite their differences the pull on the same yoke at the same time and sort out the issue to their liking later. Unlike most prissy Republicans who all think they know more than the guy standing beside them.
    I may be just a kid, though I was born into the political world 70 years ago, so I do have a small modicum of understanding. Realize that while everyone bitches about the wall, it's being built as we speak and lots of it has been completed. Living on the border is very enlightening. I never leave home unarmed for obvious reasons.

At any rate Tom, you're either with us it against us and that yoke has to be on us all or we're finished. We were given perfection and we crucified HIM so we have to wing it until we learn some humility. Are we all ever going to agree? Unlikely. And those we elected MUST tow the line with the President we elect. I am on the phone daily, beating on whichever Congressional failure d'jour I need too. It's the best I can do! HE really is in control!!!!!

• Mike Smith

02/03/2019 04:57 PM

Typo in para 4: "Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer" - I believe he's the Senate Minority Leader, not Majority Leader.

And, I believe part of the "political environment problem" in the Senate has as much to do with the "never Trump" GOP members as it does with the "anti Trump" Dems. Neither of the groups can find it in their character to allow our elected President to fulfill his bigger campaign promises. It's just not heard of.

If we start to expect our elected officials to do what they said they will do, they'll have apoplexy.

• Bill Crespo

02/03/2019 04:51 PM

President Trump is not a politician...the Republicans are afraid if you provide him too much credit and approval it will cause the swamp to drain faster which will include some of them. They will be exposed for truly not representing the fabric of America. The swamp consists of members of all the parties that do not want to lose their job. What many do not understand is the the Lord is in control. The battle is also unseen. This will create resistence from all sides. The attack will be fierce. As long as the president remains on his knees he will survive. That along with a nationwide revival will keep him leading us in the right direction. The extreme left will have to raise their head which the middle of America will fight back to cut it off. These will be some of the toughest times ahead. We need to be in prayer.

• Bill Crespo

02/03/2019 04:51 PM

• Patricia Eide

02/03/2019 04:48 PM

Bravo Mike !!! You put it well, and laid it out perfectly ! We need to start fighting at the polls, and making sure OUR votes count, and none of the illegals here do !
    Thank you for your response. See ?? I read yours as well !

• Terry Garber

02/03/2019 04:45 PM

Mike, we as Christians and conservatives need to stop hiding our heads in the sand, worrying about what people will think of us if we stand up for our faith, for what the Bible says is true, and for our country. Thank you for encouraging us, giving us a more reasoned perspective, and for being willing to stand in spite of criticism. You are appreciated and prayed for.

• Robert Burrell

02/03/2019 04:37 PM

Hi Senator , I saw a article on facebook yesterday about tax returns . It stated that about 2 million illegals submit tax returns and falsify claim nieces , nephews , and other family members under the child credit and walk away with about 4.2 billions in returns from a executive order Obama did. Also it claimed the IRS , congress and senate know about it . Is this true and if so why is no one doing anything about ? Doed President Trump know about this ? I would love a reply if you could , thank you .

• Clark L Dickerson

02/03/2019 04:36 PM

Hi Mike,
    You did not answer Tom's comment. He wrote about Mitch Mc. not pushing the vote through. The 60 vote rule is not in the constitution and Harry Reid broke that back in the day and Mitch used in the election of a Supreme Court judge. So, why didn't Mitch have the political guts to do that for President Trump. Surely, you don't believe that Chuckie S. would hesitate to go with 51 votes for something the Dems wanted. I like you, gave money to your campaign and know you are not that naive. So, answer the question - why didn't Mitch show the political guts to go with 51 votes and the wall would be under construction.
    Clark Dickerson

• Robert West

02/03/2019 04:16 PM

I fully share your questioner's frustration. The republicans can't seem to get out of the sandbox while the democrats are out in the field playing brutal game of hurling that would make a drunken Irishman run for cover. Your explanation as far as it goes makes sense and I except it. However you also recognize that there are simply too many "progressive", "liberal", "establishment" republicans that have abandoned the Trump agenda without even putting up a struggle (if there are areas where they disagree with a trump position I would expect them to get in Trump's face and work out a solution). Let's face it the democrats are street fighters and they generally hang together like a gang and they play hard and dirty. Let's be honest if it wasn't that President Trump has the stones to stand strong and take the consequences the dems (Pelosi, Schumer, et.al.) would be eating the republican's lunch day and night. The truth is, whatever gains and benefits that have been accomplished in the process of MAGA are pretty much attributable to TRUMP. Come 2020 I don't know where or what the "republicans" will be like (Since they are only marginally politically better then the democrats), however I suspect it will boil down to Trump vs. the democrats. I suspect this tirade is a bit over the top, however that is how I observe the pathetic burlesque we call a government. Respectfully, Robert W. West P.S. I would vote for Sarah Sanders, I believe she is smarter and tougher than all the republicans put together.

• Wayne P Hilchen

02/03/2019 04:15 PM

I have watched the problem of getting anything substantially done by Congress. The founders knew government could get out of hand as we see today with our mounting debt, inaction, power plays and the like. That's why I favor supporting the Convention of States project. Let's return power to state legislatures to make amendments to the constitution like term limits for government officials, restricting the power of the federal government and imposing fiscal restraint on the federal government. The framers gave us this tool in Article V. I would appreciate it if you would mention this option to your readers. They can find more information and sign the petition at conventionofstates.com.

• Lisa Ford

02/03/2019 04:14 PM

It is frustrating, especially for Republicans in Arizona. We were stuck with the Rhinos, McCain & Flake too long. Both we truly democrats. Glad they are gone. But now we have an out of control bi-sexual & proud of it. And a Republican who does back Trump. So we have 2 that cancel each others votes. How do you think, that makes us feel?

From Tom:

From me:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Schiff can't keep hiding Ciaramella and the coup

The fight over "crying baby Trump"

The fight over "crying baby Trump"

Schiff can't keep hiding Ciaramella and the coup

• Patsy Ann Martin

02/03/2019 06:37 PM

• Richard Edler

02/03/2019 06:22 PM

No one wants socialism. Keep educating and informing people about the truth.

• Joan Liska

02/03/2019 05:59 PM

• Dee Hay

02/03/2019 05:57 PM

• Stephen Russell

02/03/2019 05:37 PM

Feel with reader about GOP:
    RINOs & little action, leadership from House, Senate mgmt.
    RINOs do more damage then the Dems since out of no where XYZ occurs.
    Sample: Mitt Romney & McCain issues with President.
    GOP Fails on these:
    Lack Unity
    NOT reaching minority groups.
    Begging for money & NO results seen ( get bombarded by NRSC ads).
    Too few minority Republicans visible IE Herman Cain.
    No Inner City Republicans.
    2 White.
    Party ethnically doesnt represent People as does DNC.
    Play with the Dems vs stopping agenda.
    & maybe the 2 Party System is dead.
    Another angry Voter comment.
    Add to overall nationwide feeling

• Bill Crespo

02/03/2019 04:51 PM

• Bill Crespo

02/03/2019 04:51 PM

• Patricia Eide

02/03/2019 04:48 PM

Thank you for your response. See ?? I read yours as well !

• Terry Garber

• Wayne P Hilchen

02/03/2019 04:15 PM

• Lisa Ford

02/03/2019 04:14 PM

From Tom:

From me:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Schiff can't keep hiding Ciaramella and the coup

The fight over "crying baby Trump"

The fight over "crying baby Trump"

Schiff can't keep hiding Ciaramella and the coup

• Patsy Ann Martin

02/03/2019 06:37 PM

• Richard Edler

02/03/2019 06:22 PM

No one wants socialism. Keep educating and informing people about the truth.

• Joan Liska

02/03/2019 05:59 PM

• Dee Hay

02/03/2019 05:57 PM

• Stephen Russell

02/03/2019 05:37 PM

Feel with reader about GOP:
    RINOs & little action, leadership from House, Senate mgmt.
    RINOs do more damage then the Dems since out of no where XYZ occurs.
    Sample: Mitt Romney & McCain issues with President.
    GOP Fails on these:
    Lack Unity
    NOT reaching minority groups.
    Begging for money & NO results seen ( get bombarded by NRSC ads).
    Too few minority Republicans visible IE Herman Cain.
    No Inner City Republicans.
    2 White.
    Party ethnically doesnt represent People as does DNC.
    Play with the Dems vs stopping agenda.
    & maybe the 2 Party System is dead.
    Another angry Voter comment.
    Add to overall nationwide feeling

• Bill Crespo

02/03/2019 04:51 PM

• Bill Crespo

02/03/2019 04:51 PM

• Patricia Eide

02/03/2019 04:48 PM

Thank you for your response. See ?? I read yours as well !

• Terry Garber