From Tom:

Okay, I want to challenge you with personal action and a question. Firstly, you say you read these; well, prove it, Mike.  Respond to my question, and that is what the hell happened to our two-party system? Why is it that this President has few in his own party supporting him. We should not forget that Mitch McConnell could have allowed a Senate vote and this President could have gone on to build the wall we need. But the Senate leader refused, citing a political environment problem –- (bleep), he sold this President out. So prove my cynical brain wrong and write back to me...with your answer about the Republican Party.

From me:

Tom, you do have a cynical brain if you think I don’t read the comments. It’s just impossible to follow up on each one personally, so we try to address a representative few in the newsletter.

As for the two-party system, America’s founders foresaw the hazards of that and did not want it, but that’s the way the political power struggle evolved, and in very short order.

They also wanted to put obstacles in the way of government assuming too much power and acting too quickly, and in that sense they have at least partially succeeded. Even if all the Republicans managed to walk in lockstep, they still would have only a small majority in the Senate. It takes 60 votes, “cloture,” for Sen. McConnell to end a filibuster and get a bill to the floor for a vote, and that requires the defection of some Democrats.  That’s the “political environment problem” he was referring to.  Under the iron hand of Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, that’s not likely to happen, even with the more moderate “blue dog” Dems, which are an endangered species, as they are increasingly marginalized by rabidly progressive/socialist types such as Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren (and, in the House, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who is pushing for primary challenges against all of them).

Interestingly, we’re just starting to see some cracks in the Dems’ armor over this far-far-left celebration of late term abortion/infanticide. It will be interesting to see what happens there. Maybe there is actually an ethical line that a fewDemocrats will not cross.  But I digress.

If keeping the Republicans together seems about like herding feral cats, one factor is that certain states just aren’t as conservative as others.  That’s the reality –- Maine isn’t South Carolina. The senators we have are the ones who can get elected in their respective states. If we want that to change, then more right-leaning candidates are going to have to run and gain support in more states. It’s going to take a conservative grass-roots effort.

Another factor in this:  the Republican politicians who are the most vocally anti-Trump get the most media attention, and they are well aware of that. Jeff Flake knew the CNN cameras would focus on him with adoration whenever he tried to get in the way of “Trump’s wall.” John McCain (rest his soul) knew that he could always count on lavishpraise from the New York Times when he criticized members of his own party. The mainstream media loved him –- until he was actually running for office against a Democrat; then he became the enemy.

Those “never-Trumpers” within the Republican Party need to face reality: even if they find a conservative-enough Democrat to help elect, that person will inevitably end up bowing to the omnipotent leftist leaders in House and Senate. Then they’ll blame Mitch McConnell instead of the “political environment” they themselves helped create. They should imagine when they mark their ballot for ANY Democrat that they are, in effect, marking it for Nancy Pelosi or Chuck Schumer. (If that doesn’t cure them, I don’t know what will.) And they need to work on getting more conservative Republicans into office.

We as individuals have to decide to make a difference.  As another reader wrote (see, I read them), “I can lay down and be part of the problem or I can stand up and fight back, even if it’s in a small way.”  He felt guilty that he had quit writing his blog and wanted to start back, with more of a promotional push this time. This is the kind of thing we should all do --- especially those of us in more moderately-red states.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Jess Maxwell

02/03/2019 04:10 PM

Thanks so much for the outstanding explanation.

• John Bergman

02/03/2019 04:09 PM

I would just like to let you know that our Government is in severe trouble with all the "Anti-Trump" things that are going on, BUT I really appreciate you MIKE and your comments. You tell it like it is, I wish there were more Politicians who thought more for the American People then their Political Party, and I still wish you were our President. You have Faith in GOD, our President has faith in GOD,.... but I think that the Democrats are trying to be GOD. Perhaps that's why they are supporting Abortion, want to allow Illegals to have U.S. citizenship without question and Take away our 2nd. amendment rights.
    The Country needs a WALL and border security, But the LEFT wants to kill our unborn (and now any baby) maybe so they can say " we need Illegals to populate America"

I know some of this is old news, but really makes me wonder what our future will be like.

Thank You Mike for your comments , and your TV show.... may GOD continue to Bless you... keep up the good work

Thanks, John

• Richard Ek

02/03/2019 04:08 PM

I vote Republican 98% of the time. The one Democrat I voted for twice (a Washington State Senator) was part of "The Roadkill Caucus" because he often leaned right on economic as well as social issues. But he also went with his party whole hog after the November 2018 election. I donate monthly to a PAC that supports mostly conservatives. I have donated to individual Republicans and once belonged to the RNC. Now, I choose carefully where to send my small donations. But the emails, the snail mail, the phone calls never cease! I'm sick of most of the Republicans and sick of all Democrats. I believe the anti-Trump Republicans are both angry and scared that a wealthy and successful businessman became POTUS. It threatens their careers that an upstart outsider cut in line. It irks them that this POTUS is not beholden to donors or any special interest group. It scares them to think that other successful people outside of politics may follow Trump's lead at the State level as well as the Federal level. McConnell is smart. No, he is cunning. He knows the game very yet I find him to be frustrating because he too fears Trump for the same reasons that the open anti-Trumpers fear him. May God continue to bless this Promised Land.

• Joseph Needham

02/03/2019 04:08 PM

Mike,

Whatever happened to the 11th commandment popularized by the late great Ronald Reagan? Thou shalt not speak evil of another Republican? It is, in my opinion, disgusting to hear one GOP leader speak ill of another. We are supposed to be on the same team!

Now, as for many if not most Democrats, what ever happened to "the loyal opposition?" They are not loyal, but out to destroy Trump and divide the Republicans. They want to destroy the electoral college, the brilliant solution of the Constitutional Convention to keep the large, heavily populated states from tyrannizing the smaller ones with fewer voters.

I was not an original Trump supporter (you were my first choice). But when he won the nomination I supported him and continue to do so. It is so refreshing to have someone in the White House who says what he does and does what he says.

• Burt Kamin

02/03/2019 04:05 PM

Thank you for all you do and write. I do read your column.
    I do feel that the United states is in the beginning of its decline as when, the first left wing Democrat president is elected, this country will descend into a third rate country. They will destroy the economy and open the borders and citizenship up. All for the temporary sense of having power. China will gain dominance and democracy will vanish. In the long run, no one cares to understand the history of nations but who sings what and who won an academy award.

• Jim Smith

02/03/2019 04:04 PM

Governor Huckabee,

I enjoyed reading your response to Tom about why Senator Mitch McConnell did not bring the vote regarding wall funding to the Senate floor before Nancy Pelosi and her Democrats took over the house. My question to you though is why didn’t Senator McConnell have gone nuclear and put the vote on the Senate floor and only require a simple majority to pass the legislation that the House Republicans passed in December. If I remember correctly, the House bill had the wall funding that President Trump requested.

• Craig

02/03/2019 04:01 PM

Senate Majority Leader Schumer????????

• Patricia Downing

02/03/2019 03:54 PM

Dear Mr. Huckabee,

I really appreciate you and your daughter's hard work to help bring the correct common sense information to citizens of America. I am just as frustrated with the political climate and shear lack of "love" in the Godly sense. This was our sermon today. I am married to a man who is not as conservative as I and he does not support Trump and liked Obama. Can you imagine? However, I remember my vows and Paul's letters to the Corinthians regarding love. We've been married 30 years.
    Given what just happened, regarding abortion/infanticide, in NY with Governor Herod and almost happened in Virginia, and thank God it didn't happen, I am shocked at the long, long road ahead to really turn this country around. We have got to publicize Godly love, not the 1960's style love, and pray a whole lot more. The busyness in life and secular priorities has created a vacuum for atheists and far left wing thinkers to take over.
    For one thing, the PTA must be brought back into schools. Parents must be able to be more involved in what their children are learning which all seemed to come to an end when the feminist movement pushed women out of the home with family and into the workplace. Divorce became commonplace, also. There are so few people paying attention to what is really going on and I know that is what the Dems are hoping for but, then again, some of us are paying attention. I have hope because you and I have seen how just one person can make such huge positive changes in areas of life.

God bless your work,
    Pat Downing
    MN

• Michael Amico

02/03/2019 03:49 PM

It’s bad enough that President Trump has to fight the democrat opposition and then get opposition from his own party!!!

• Paul

02/03/2019 03:31 PM

You missed the point or avoided the question. Nowhere in the constitution does it require 60 votes to pass legislation. That is self imposed by the senate and it needs to end. Don't try to BS me.

From Tom:

From me:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Jess Maxwell

02/03/2019 04:10 PM

Thanks so much for the outstanding explanation.

• John Bergman

02/03/2019 04:09 PM

Thanks, John

• Richard Ek

02/03/2019 04:08 PM

• Joseph Needham

02/03/2019 04:08 PM

Mike,

• Burt Kamin

02/03/2019 04:05 PM

Thank you for all you do and write. I do read your column.

• Jim Smith

02/03/2019 04:04 PM

Governor Huckabee,

• Craig

02/03/2019 04:01 PM

Senate Majority Leader Schumer????????

• Patricia Downing

02/03/2019 03:54 PM

Dear Mr. Huckabee,

God bless your work,
    Pat Downing
    MN

• Michael Amico

02/03/2019 03:49 PM

• Paul

02/03/2019 03:31 PM

From Tom:

From me:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Jess Maxwell

02/03/2019 04:10 PM

Thanks so much for the outstanding explanation.

• John Bergman

02/03/2019 04:09 PM

Thanks, John

• Richard Ek

02/03/2019 04:08 PM

• Joseph Needham

02/03/2019 04:08 PM

Mike,

• Burt Kamin

02/03/2019 04:05 PM

Thank you for all you do and write. I do read your column.

• Jim Smith

02/03/2019 04:04 PM

Governor Huckabee,

• Craig

02/03/2019 04:01 PM

Senate Majority Leader Schumer????????

• Patricia Downing