"Seattle Is Dying"

Like a beautiful child, growin’ up free and wild

Full of hopes and full of fears

Full of laughter, full of tears

Full of dreams that last the years

In Seattle

In Seattle!"

(music: Hugo Montenegro; lyrics: Jack Keller, Ernie Sheldon)

Perry Como recorded the song “Seattle” and had a Top 40 hit with it in 1969, when I’ll bet Seattle was still looking quite beautiful and the people there were full of hopes and dreams. You definitely remember the song if you watched the TV show, “Here Come The Brides.” For the show intro, it was sung by a group called The New Establishment.

“Here Come The Brides” was set in the Seattle of the 19th Century, when Washington State was almost all wilderness. Back then, it really was a breathtaking place, full of pristine nature.

Have you been to Seattle lately? It has a “new establishment,” all right.  And the "fears and tears" part is still there.  This must-see hour-long documentary shows in graphic detail what Seattle is like now...

Radical leftists in Seattle are apparently having embolisms over this powerful news special, “Seattle Is Dying,” which was aired by KOMO-TV. They call that station “Trump TV” (because it’s owned by conservative Sinclair Broadcasting) and put quotation marks around the word “news,” accusing the right-wing media of using this documentary to instill hatred for the poor. According to leftists, this sort of documentary criminalizes poverty. On the contrary, it justifiably implicates leftism itself, for promoting policies that have led to mass homelessness, filth, heartbreaking substance abuse, widespread theft, untreated mental illness, post-apocalyptic stretches of land, and violent crime.

According to this report, Seattle police are afraid of retaliation if they speak up about the things they routinely encounter on the job. So for this documentary, they filled out questionnaires anonymously.

“Yes, I am frustrated,” one wrote, “because I am a law enforcement officer that is told NOT to enforce the law.” Another observed, “People come here because they call it Free-attle and they believe if they come here they will get free food, free medical treatment, free mental health treatment, a free tent, free clothes, and will be free of prosecution for just about everything; and they’re right.”  Well, except for the part where they do NOT get the mental health care they need, and the part where they die on the street of an overdose.

That same officer went on to explain, “In the last five years there has been a culture shift and it started with the legislature decriminalizing felonies and dumping convicts onto the streets.” Another cop said, “Even if quality warrant arrests are made, the judicial system sees fit to let them out of jail within a couple days --- often the next day. Why are we risking our lives to take felony-level fugitives into custody if they are just going to be released?”

One officer who spoke for the record had finally quit, saying, “I couldn’t do it any more. It was just bureaucracy built up to the point where I felt like I was no longer necessary as a police officer, that the system had a different idea of how they wanted to handle it, and I was an appendix. I needed to be gone.”

“Everybody’s trying to do the right thing,” he went on to say. “It’s just coming out wrong. The only thing I can equate it to is we’re running a concentration camp, without barbed wire, up to and including the medical experiment of poisoning these people with drugs.”

Another officer called it “a broken system with no teeth.” These cops were all dedicated to doing what they could to control unfortunate situations and make lives better. But substance abuse is making it impossible. Police say there is no morale among their ranks.

But read Charles Mudede’s commentary on “Seattle Is Dying” (at the next link) and you’ll see that the left just doesn’t get what critics of their policies are saying. I think leftists must hate people on the right so much that they’re not capable of understanding our feelings about this Third World-style human tragedy. Mudede calls the attitude of this documentary “the manufactured hatred of the poor” (it is nothing of the sort) and says, “In this inverted/perverted KOMO world, the shock is not that the business district is right next to a homeless camp, but that a homeless camp is right next to the business district. There is an important difference between the two perspectives.”

Yes, we see the difference, but leftists don’s seem to understand that THEY ARE IN CHARGE in Seattle –- and in other large cities with similar problems –- and have been for some time. If they really were compassionate, they would clean up this horror RIGHT NOW, as Rudy Giuliani worked hard to do as mayor of New York, and try to help people rise above poverty and substance abuse rather than point fingers at conservative media for calling attention to the problems.

“What’s truly fantastic,” Mudele says, “is that no one is throwing cuffs on the hands of the maddest members of the city, the Bezoses or the Schultzes, and locking them up in an insane asylum.” He blames these people of “obscene wealth” for the current situation. What he doesn’t seem to get is that in his part of the country, these wealthy people are the “progressives.” These powerful moguls are the anti-Trumpers. This is their progress.

This is the very part of the country –- the “Left Coast” (along with the Northeast) –- which the Democrat candidates for President want to let call the shots for the entire nation, by getting rid of the Electoral College if it gets THEM elected. Look at those cities –- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and also moving east to Chicago, New York and others –- and you can see what happens when "progressives" are in charge. Do they lack competence or compassion? –- it’s got to be one or the other, or both. Whatever it is, political power is obviously the most important thing to these people, much more important than actually fixing the problems. Otherwise, they would be fixed.

These candidates all have such big plans for us.  I wouldn't put them in charge of planning a children's birthday party.

KOMO’s Eric Johnson, who wrote and reported “Seattle Is Dying,” explains that this is his third in “a kind of trilogy.” The first was an exploration of homelessness, the second was about the hell of heroin addiction, and this one “is about everyone else.” Perhaps that is why some reviewers are taking this third one out of context and saying he doesn’t focus sufficiently on the victims of drugs and mental illness, when he has already done that. Johnson makes it clear: “This program is not about demonizing those who are struggling with addiction and homelessness and mental illness. On the contrary. It asks the question, “Why aren’t we doing more? Why don’t we have the courage to intervene in lives that are, in the face of a grave sickness, reeling out of control?”

Some local commentators do offer a more balanced view of the KOMO report. But the debate goes on, while nothing gets better. Hey, leftists, you can just keep tweeting about Seattle’s wealthy and deny the problem exists; that’ll take care of it.

As for Americans who are stunned by the crowd of 2020 Democratic Presidential candidates calling for open borders, increasingly lax drug laws, almost nonexistent enforcement, a guaranteed minimum income, and FREE EVERYTHING, take a look at what similar policies are doing to once-beautiful cities of the Left Coast. It’s hoped that by some miracle they’ll realize their policies don’t work and will start turning their cities around. In the meantime, please –- please –- don’t let them metastasize across the rest of the country and ruin it, too.

The problem really is leftist politics. As one Seattle police officer said, “Homelessness and drug use have become such politically charged issues. Politically charged in that the city, including S.P.D. administration, have ceased to be interested in policing this population.”

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Idiotic Policy

• Beverly Nolan

03/20/2019 11:26 AM

My ancestors were some of the original founders of Seattle. There may still be a monument at Alki Beach where their ship originally landed. My great grandfathers were a Denny and a Boren. As children, my older brother and younger sister and I loved our weekends on our grandparents farm in the Redmond area now termed the "Eastside" where Microsoft calls home. I inherited that property after my Uncle died 3 months shy of his 90th birthday. It was always my "Happy Place" no matter where I was. My Husband and I could see the writing on the wall almost 30 years ago and moved 8 hours away to an area we could still afford to live after we retired.
    In March of 2007, my Daughter and her three young sons and I all spent spring vacation on the old farm marveling at 100 years of my family's history and possessions that told a story all of their own. I was so happy to have a place where all the family could come and go. Our home away from home with so much to discover about those who lived there before us. Six weeks after we left, I got a call from the Redmond police (in the middle of the night) that my deceased Uncles car was abandoned on a piece of property across the road and in checking it out it appeared our property had been burglarized. Since our side of the rural road was the King County Sheriffs side of the rural community, they would be contacting them. My Husband and I already had a trip planned there with friends in 2 days. When we got there it wasn't a burglary, it was total devastation. The house, barn, an outbuilding and the equipment building had all been stripped of everything three generations of my family had accumulated. We couldn't even stay there in the mess that was created. When I called the Sheriff's office, the woman who answered the phone said "What do you expect us to do about it?"
    The lack of human compassion and decency in King County is it's own demise. They are creating their own Hell on Earth. Unfortunately, looking at the current political climate in Our Country, it's spreading like wild fire and it scares me.

• Nathan Paris

03/20/2019 10:59 AM

Seattle, The New Detroit. Next, Baltimore. California(the whole damn thing), maybe the State of New York!

• Lisa ciccarone

03/20/2019 10:50 AM

The left in large cities screams louder and throws allegations at anyone pointing out that they are guilty of the very elitism and social atrocities they attribute to conservatives! I watch in horror as these misinformed and delusional people take over.

• Gayle Ireson

03/20/2019 10:20 AM

I do not understand why people would vote for that party. Its so sad how blind people have become. I enjoy your articles.

• Carol MacMillan Godsey

03/20/2019 10:18 AM

May God forgive those who enabled this in the name of "loving people" - and may He forgive the rest of us for letting it happen.

• Anne Turner

03/20/2019 10:12 AM

In the sixties I lived in Seattle. During the time I was single, I did not have a car and relied on bus transportation and walking. I was in training and them working at a hospital in the lab and was assisting with some research being done in a building outside of the hospital. This required me to go put late at night to add some solutions. I also walked all over the area. I feel totally safe and never gave a thought to it. I don’t remember ever seeing a homeless person on the street. What a change! When we lived near San Francisco in the late sixties and seventies, we would drive up for dinner and walk all over the city. It was safe. We rarely saw anyone who could be classed as homeless. The streets were clean. What a change! How sad that these beautiful cities have gone down so much. We know which party has been on power for years. Progressive? Are you kidding me? What is progressive about the poor human beings with drug addictions and mental illness living on the streets, defacating wherever, living in tents. How is it the fault of those who earn a good living? It makes no sense. These folks need help but don’t get it. Our mental hospitals are few and far between and the libs don’t want to interfere with someone’s “freedom” so they allow them to live in misery. At the same time they so hard to keep African Americans and Hispanics in a state of victimhood. How can people not see through this?

• Anne Turner

03/20/2019 10:11 AM

• Ken Hartley

03/20/2019 09:51 AM

It's incredible that people can not observe the effect that leftism has had on this city. Detroit is another example of failed left policies. When will Americans wake up and realize that liberal policies simply do not work?

Thanks for bringing this report to our attention, Governor.

• Sam Vanderburg

03/20/2019 09:49 AM

Your summation is appropriate. The problem is the leftist politics. The left says they value the individual now, but we know it is the state that is of ultimate value. Instead of the actions of the individual to address the problem, they see the solution as more government. Ultimately, it is the people whom are devalued. And this gang of politicians who are declaring for POTUS are calling for things that will weaken our nation is driving me nuts!

• Lauren Sarber

03/20/2019 09:46 AM

This is frightening. It reminds me of my city. Democrat run. It's become a haven't for the homeless. And believe me my heart goes out to them but we really aren't helping them. Our cities mayor is making a bid for the Democratic nomination for President. It scares me to death!
    Our nation needs prayer and trust me I pray for her and our President daily!
    God bless you as well!

• Jeff wagener

03/20/2019 09:44 AM

Governor, interestingly, KOMO is NO longer known as conservative, but regularly twists things TO a liberal bias around here, and the anti right mantra is huge.. I'm born and raised in the Seattle area and involved in emergency services for years. The difference between the 80's and now is shellshocking and sad. Keep up the good work! Thank you for your prayers for our still great Nation!

• Robert D. Partlow

03/20/2019 09:29 AM

This has gotten ridiculous, it isn’t they don’t understand how bad their policies are. It’s bad because of how many people still believe their rhetoric even with all this evidence that what they say is just false!

"Seattle Is Dying"

March 20, 2019

"The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle

And the hills the greenest green in Seattle

Like a beautiful child, growin’ up free and wild

Full of hopes and full of fears

Full of laughter, full of tears

Full of dreams that last the years

In Seattle

In Seattle!"

(music: Hugo Montenegro; lyrics: Jack Keller, Ernie Sheldon)

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Idiotic Policy

• Anne Turner

03/20/2019 10:12 AM

• Anne Turner

03/20/2019 10:11 AM

• Ken Hartley

03/20/2019 09:51 AM

Thanks for bringing this report to our attention, Governor.

• Sam Vanderburg

03/20/2019 09:49 AM

• Lauren Sarber

03/20/2019 09:46 AM

Our nation needs prayer and trust me I pray for her and our President daily!
    God bless you as well!

Like a beautiful child, growin’ up free and wild

Full of hopes and full of fears

Full of laughter, full of tears

Full of dreams that last the years

In Seattle

In Seattle!"

(music: Hugo Montenegro; lyrics: Jack Keller, Ernie Sheldon)

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Idiotic Policy

• Anne Turner

03/20/2019 10:12 AM

• Anne Turner

03/20/2019 10:11 AM

• Ken Hartley

03/20/2019 09:51 AM

Thanks for bringing this report to our attention, Governor.

• Sam Vanderburg

03/20/2019 09:49 AM

• Lauren Sarber

03/20/2019 09:46 AM

Our nation needs prayer and trust me I pray for her and our President daily!
    God bless you as well!