Judge Roy Moore's response

November 10, 2017

Alabama GOP Senate candidate and former Judge Roy Moore has issued a response to an article in the Washington Post, accusing him of having sexual contact with a then-14-year-old girl, 38 years ago when he was 32. The woman never filed a police report or made any public accusations against Moore in any of his previous campaigns. The paper cited claims by other women that Moore asked them out or kissed them back in the 1970s when they were age 16 to 18, but the age of consent was 16. Moore flatly denies the Washington Post article, calling it “completely false and a desperate political attack.” If so, it would not be the first time WaPo has published false or misleading hit pieces on Moore.

President Trump and a number of top Republicans called on Moore to drop out of the race if there’s any truth to the allegations. That would leave the GOP in a bad spot, since their Senate majority is razor-thin now, and the law says it’s too late to change the ballot. Democrats would likely fight a lawsuit to change the ballot, even though they did the same thing to keep a seat in New Jersey when one of their elderly incumbents died near Election Day.

Full disclosure: I endorsed Judge Moore, because I believe we need more people in Washington who are willing to stand up to the do-nothing, go-along establishment and not betray conservative principles or their constituents. Nevertheless, if this accusation is true, then it is disturbing and unacceptable, and I agree that he should step down.

However, in America, one of our bedrock principles is the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. In the wake of recent Obama college directives and the wave of accusations in the media following the Harvey Weinstein scandal, the right to due process regarding sexual conduct has been thrown out the window. There is a middle ground between ignoring or smearing accusers and accepting trial by media and de facto conviction without evidence.

The decision on whether to stay in the race is Judge Moore’s, and I call on him to make it with honesty and integrity. If he stays in, sans a trial or evidence, the ultimate decision on whether last-minute media accusations should determine elections will come next month from Alabama voters.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM.

• Ben Johnston

11/12/2017 02:52 PM

Were this true, wouldn't it have come out in other political races he has run?

• ROSEMARY BOWDEN

11/12/2017 02:48 PM

I vote for Moore. I would never subscribe to the corrupt WAPO .

• Robbie Mize

11/12/2017 02:33 PM

I am from Alabama. And I am incensed at the very thought of this political stunt...it stinks to high heaven...just when you think things can get any worse, well they do. I will vote for Judge Moore if he remains as a candidate because I believe these are as false as false can get! People may have thought that us folks down here are just a bunch of idiots who don't know what we are doing. Just give us an election day with the Honorable Judge Roy Moore and I will choose him over a candidate (Doug Jones) who is so anti pro-life it makes me sick. A liberal ready to stand by and watch all this happening knowing it is for his benefit.

• De Ette Moon

11/12/2017 02:08 PM

I pray the Alabama voters are given wisdom and discernment to know who is lying.

• Carolyn Studebaker

11/12/2017 02:02 PM

Just another example of Fake News! It's disgusting the lengths the left will go to discredit a conservative.

• Linda Mataya

11/12/2017 01:59 PM

The whole thing smells pretty fishy to me I believe that he is telling the truth and once again the liberal lunatics are at it again! Hope he sticks to his guns and the people continue to support him!

• Michelle Douthit

11/12/2017 01:41 PM

I find it suspicious that the allegations again Moore are surfacing at a time that it is important to get another Republican on board to further Trumps agenda. I have lost faith in most Democrates and rhino Republicans.

• Michael Scott

11/12/2017 01:41 PM

They made a mistake by attacking a man with the integrity as proven by his 30+ year career. You can judge a man by his actions, not just by what he says. If any of this were true, I believe it would have come out years ago, not within a 30 day window of a election. Judge Moore is a wonderful example of being a man of Integrity. I pray that the good people of Alabama come out and elect this man and not be fooled by these false accusers.

• DON BENDER

11/12/2017 01:39 PM

ROY MOORE HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN GUILTY,, (EXCEPT IN THE PRESS),,, IN AMERICA WE ARE INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. WHAT COUNTRY ARE THEY IN???

• Chuck Walter

11/12/2017 01:07 PM

With all of this tripe against Roy More it made me realize that the we (government) are wasting money on security clearances. Have the subject run for office against a democrat.

• Soreta LMyrick

11/12/2017 01:06 PM

I do not understand women. I am 82 years old. I have seen many elections, but this last election was so bad. I was a democrat for 50 years, but changed to Republican in 2009. What kind of woman would wait 20 years to come out and say she was improperly touched. Sorry, I just don't believe it. I don't know
    Mr Moore but I don't believe her either. The Democrat party is so sick. I will never vote Democrat again. God Bless President Trump and MR Moore.

• Carol D. Gaglione

11/12/2017 12:44 PM

Gov Huckabee, my husband, Richard and I love you and all you do for our freedoms and conservative beliefs. We agree that your entertaining shows do more for our country than what any President can do. We used to watch your previous shows before you once again jumped into the presidential race. Now we watch you every Saturday night - wouldn't miss it. We are 80 and 83 years old and lived the good times of the 50's. It was a much more peaceful time then. We want so desperately to see President Trump succeed. We believe God placed him in our govt to get rid of the corruption in Washington and save our religious freedom. Keep doing what you are doing. I believe you are following God's will for your life. Great show last night with all the veterans. Kudos!

• Mary Gentry

11/12/2017 12:42 PM

I have to admit that I'm in a quandary about Judge Moore. I want another true conservative in the Senate but the allegations made by the less-than-reputable WaPo are damning if true. The timing is highly suspicious and the rag that made the allegations is as trustworthy as a rattlesnake. I think if Moore is truly the Christian he proclaims himself to be, he will do the right thing.

• iris hall

11/12/2017 12:11 PM

Judge Roy Moore should stay in the race and continue to deny these felonious accusations. The Left lies,cheats,steals,and deceives. This is a battle between GOOD AND EVIL. GOD IS ON OUR SIDE AND HE SAYS STAND, BE STILL, AND WATCH WHAT I WILL DO. GOD IS FAITHFUL.WE MUST BE FAITHFUL TO HIM. I BELIEVE THE REPORT OF THE LORD!!!

• Donna Sell

11/12/2017 11:45 AM

What if he kissed a 16 year old girl on the cheek because she was a friend or neighbor. What could have been pure innocence 40 years ago in this day and age could mean you go to jail.
    As a young teenager I was kissed by all sorts of friends of my parents. NEVER was anything out of line. A kiss on the cheek or forehead. There was never anything sexual, just an innocent kiss. What is wrong with people these days? I would vote for Judge Moore if I lived in his state. He has always proved himself to be a man of honor and integrity. God bless him and the keep him strong in this fight to prove his innocence and win this election in Dec.

• Carol Navarra

11/12/2017 11:01 AM

Dear Governor Huckabee: I have been to a number of conservative websites where people are commenting about Judge Moore, and 98% of them, which is no exaggeration, agree that he isn't guilty, and that charges are not in keeping with a man who has had an impeccable record for his entire career, and considering two of the women can be identified as Hillary Clinton supporters, and vehemently anti-Trump, while supporting Judge Moore's Democrat contender, leaves this open to even more analysis, and HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS. I've also found that people are stating that the testimony of Leigh Corfman (who has no face identification in photos of recent date), is not known by anyone in the vicinity she claims to be living. Is she a Hologram? Her testimonials remind me of the Confession of Josh Duggar, where he touched said victims privates over their clothing. I say, and without hesitation, it's entirely fabricated as are the so called 30 unnamed witnesses. There is no blue dress.
    I've also researched his record online, and found he was heavily vetted, especially when he was appointed Circuit Court Judge by Governor H. Guy Hunt, after the death of Jimmy Hedgspeth, who he ran against for that position. Background checks were initiated by several state agencies in 1992, including Etowah County District Attorney's office, with no negative information found whatsoever. Roy Moore humbly stated that God had provided him with a position that he himself was unable to win, but with God all things are possible. He was attacked by the ACLU for initiating a prayer before Judging any case, and won out over that attack. He also was attacked by the LGBTQ for continuing to support the sanctity of marriage, countering the new laws as unconstitutional and against State Laws protected by States rights.
    He's absolutely NEVER been accused of salacious activity with minors, and stated he only remembered two of the women and they were older than what has been reported.
    It's always been, "Innocent until proven guilty", but in the case of Senator Menendez, who was charged and convicted with Felony, and inappropriate sexual activity, crickets from John McCain, Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, Pelosi, Schumer, and Mitt Romney. Unbelievable that Republicans can be this corrupt believing a newspaper which has a record of posting false information, including about President Trump.

• Sandy Ronecker

11/12/2017 10:36 AM

I think Judge Moore should face his accuser. Yep, face to face. In a room with just the two of them each with a representative (no lawyers) to bear witness.

• Klaus Christoph

11/12/2017 10:30 AM

I am totally disgusted with Republicans that jump to conclusions based on the accusations of a left wing nutcase and smear tactics in the Washington Post. I expect this from Democrats (Communists in my view) and the left wing media, but many Republicans are afraid of their own shadow. I think Roy Moore will win, and cause many sleepless nights for Democrats, as President Trump is doing to them.

• Betty Gooder

11/12/2017 10:18 AM

I am so fed up with the Liberals/Democrats/Establishment swamp creatures ALWAYS throwing out false sexual improprieties against good men. They are evil people who know this generally works except in the case of a candidate with the resources to fight back against false allegations. This is a lame attempt to smear Roy Moore and the people of Alabama are not buying it. He has been in office, in one form or another, for over 30 years and nothing has ever been brought against him sexually??? and now all of a sudden they drag this out of the woodwork??? We aren't stupid...we are smart enough to know the swamp creatures pay good money to women to bring these types of allegations. The swamp is so deep in corruption they are afraid to have a man with Roy Moore's convictions get to a place of power in Washington. Wake up people. You know he's innocent, or they would have thrown this at him before now.

• Teresa Hall

11/12/2017 10:18 AM

If Moore says it is untrue and remains in race then I hope the good people of Alabama elect him and he can continue the good fight. The Left has now found a new weapon,and it will not stop with pointing fingers at just the males, wait and see. The Left is nasty,hateful and full of evil to bring down our nation by any means. To them anything,anyone is fair game in their evil plots

• TERRY LEE DELIA

11/12/2017 10:17 AM

It is distressing to see the Democrats continue to use the same old lies endorsed by Harry Reid. What makes it worse is the media's feeding frenzy that gives these lies traction. Anyone with half a brain can see that these allegations were deliberately placed to effect the election. Wonder where all the bimbos disappeared to that slandered President Trump ?

• Kevin Kleman

11/12/2017 10:15 AM

I do not believe these accusations. The left did the same thing with Donald Trump. Assuming allegations are not true, Trump needs to campaign for Mr. Moore. The left are evil athesist which have no allegiance to the USA. The left worships their wallet and power. I am from Ohio, and will fight for Donald Trump and faith based conservatives. The media has helped create this divide and it is time we take the gloves off and go after the fake media and the radical left. Time to demonstrate against left politicians and fake media. Do not watch fake media.

• Linda Rath

11/12/2017 10:09 AM

I absolutely do not believe these accusations against Judge Moore. I have been following him for years, have heard him speak, and I believe what he says. He is a Christian, a righteous man who has stood for Biblical principles despite everything the PC crowd, the left, and even the "right" have thrown at him. The timing of these accusations after 40 years of silence is suspect. I bet if you followed the money, you would find that these accusations are completely false--fabrications--and those who have paid these people could even be top republicans--remember how much $$ Mitch McConnell threw into the recent election for Judge Moore's opponent?!? Washington is really, really afraid of this righteous man!

• Barry A Mulder

11/12/2017 09:51 AM

Only Bill Clinton is allowed sexual indescretion, Proven not accused. No one else is allowed period. Democrate way of thinling anyway.

• Glenda Piacenti

11/12/2017 09:50 AM

Alabama will decide, not the rest of the country. Since he has been dropped by the republican senatorial committee, I made a contribution to his champagne. I hope he receives loads of contributions and that this hog wash will cause the Alabama people to turn out in droves for Judge Moore. I have to say I am disappointed in Trump's response. Could it be he thinks that "fake news" only applies to him? When he was accused of sexual misconduct he expected all to give him the benefit of the doubt. IMHO, our president didn't do very well on this situation.

• Theresa Caruso

11/12/2017 09:22 AM

This attack on the judge by the Washington Post smells of slander! Democrats ran a dirty campaign in VIRGINIA and won. They appear to be sliding even lower in Alabama. The judge has had a public career for decades, and suddenly this comes up one month before the election! I am also ashamed of the RINO republicans who are calling on him to step down. One is innocent until proven guilty! I am praying for the LORD to come to the aid of Judge Moore and expose any lies and liars who are slandering this man. The LORD knows the truth and he can see that it is brought forth.

• Janet Perkins

11/12/2017 09:02 AM

I too believe this news release is just another attempt by the dems to keep a godly honest man out of office. I pray that Judge Moore has the proof he needs to show once again the smear tactics of the liberal left.

• Samuel Smith

11/11/2017 11:29 PM

The establishment will do any thing to keep their power and control! If they had to do it right our tell the truth it wold kill them. If you are not on Gods side then you are on the devil side! I have meet Mr. Moore and heard him give talks on the law. He is a good man who stands on Christian values with out any exceptions. This is what we are facing in our government today, they do not what God in any part of it at all, and they will do any thing to keep Him out. It does not make any different what side of the tracks you are on if you are not with the establishment (the devil) you will be pushed out!

• james turner

11/11/2017 10:51 PM

I was raised in a small town, Scottsboro, where two white girls back in circa 1930s accused a group of black boys of "sexual misconduct". This became a national press disgrace and gave Scottsboro an ugly undeserved reputation because of these girls, who later admitted they had LIED! Seems that some things have NOT CHANGED in Alabama. #Sad in Alabama

• Mrs. Louise Doyle

11/11/2017 09:13 PM

I have been following Judge Roy Moore's career for over a decade. The liberal left absolutely does not want him in office. It is my opinion that this story has been fabricated to cause him to lose. He has too much integrity to have done this.

• Mrs. Louise Doyle

11/11/2017 09:12 PM

• Mrs. Louise Doyle

11/11/2017 09:12 PM

• Robin Rowan

11/11/2017 09:09 PM

Thank you Governor, Im glad you published this. We need to stwp back and look at all the false stories the WP has put out since the election. They have lost credibilty and have endorsed Moore's opponent. Reports coming from Alabama report that WP was offering $1000 to any woman who would come up with allegaions. In this day of fake news who knows what to believe...but Moore has been in National spotlight so long...the timing and the source (WPOST) makes the story completly unreliable.

• Howard A Milor Jr

11/11/2017 08:46 PM

I personally support Judge Moore, only he knows Wether he is guilty of these accusations! So I think he should fight on if he is innocent. I can remember numerous cases where accusations like these were made in order to sway an election and all that I can think of were smears not surprisingly by the Democratic Party ! In some cases once they had swayed the election the accusations were proven false after all, but no one ever really heard because the media did not care! I wish there were something the American people can do about our leftist media in this country! The American people deserve news not opinions and smear tactics!

• Annette Fincher

11/11/2017 08:28 PM

Thank you Mike Huckabee for your reasoned response. To me, the timing of this story is extremely suspect and I believe it is just one more dirty trick by the liberals in their desperate attempts to regain control. I don't understand why God allowed this to happen to Judge Moore. It breaks my heart that he has to go through this, but I do know that God is in control and all will be understood if not on Earth, then in Heaven. I pray the people of Alabama will continue to support Judge Moore. I also pray that establishment Republicans had nothing to do with this mess.

• John christy

11/11/2017 08:03 PM

I'm 63 but I just remembered when I was 10, Roy Moores opponent tried to poison my koolaid and then kidnapped my sister and her dog.
    Whoops, It must just been a bad dream.
    The point is : What a crock.

• Sherry Glover

11/11/2017 07:58 PM

This reminds me of a good, solid Christian/Conservative that was slandered out of his race a few years back, Todd Akin. Akin, like Moore was a very well thought of, if not adored, Statesman to Missouri citizens. His race against Claire McCaskill was all but won. In a media interview he answered a question about abortion due to rape. Though, his answer was technically correct, His answer was not 'politically correct'. Akin also, too conservative for the 'Rhinos', and was like Moore, blasted a poor candidate and Republicans with drew financial support. Conservative Missourians got out and voted for Akin and he did well, but liberal voters from St. Louis & Kansas City eventually pulled Senator McCaskill ahead. Akin's was far and away the best Candidate. A solid God fearing man, Marine Vet with a stellar family.
    I do not buy this story about Judge Moore. I can't get out and vote for him, but I sure did get online and contribute to his fight to win!!
    This good man deserves our support and vote. I hope we do not let the Democrats, Despots, Rhinos, ruin another good man. A trial by press or Rhinos, is no justice.

• Karen Slovak

11/11/2017 07:18 PM

I wish he would give a detailed explanation of how and why it cannot be true. I want him to stand his ground and let his record speak for itself. He is innocent until proven guilty. This kind of smear is the new tactic of the left. True conservatives should stand with Roy as he continues to fight this, and not assume his guilt.

• Sandra L Trippe

11/11/2017 06:37 PM

Governor Huckabee, I appreciate your honesty, humor and willingness to report non-fake news! I read your newsletters and enjoy and learn from them. Thank you! You’re truly one of the good guys!

• Virginia Walcott

11/11/2017 06:07 PM

If you didn't catch Judge Moore today at the Veteran's Day ceremony, please watch. He's as innocent as the day is long. God bless and protect him.

• Gigi Sullivan

11/11/2017 05:50 PM

I don't know if the judge is guilty or not but I do feel that we need to hold people accountable for false charges. The continual smearing of peoples reputation for political gain is out of hand. We need to let people know there are consequences for false statements. We need to start prosecuting people for ruining lives & careers for money, revenge and political gain.

• Larry HDDEN

11/11/2017 05:34 PM

For all of these stupid accusations from the leftist/communists,---emblematically speaking: When a jackass brays, what else can you expect to hear but the sounds of a jackass?

• Celeste Anderson

11/11/2017 05:30 PM

Judge Moore has demonstrated his Christian faith for many years. It cost him his Judge's seat. This accusation smells as fishy as a whole fleet of Gulf Coast shrimp boats! Shame on the Republican establishment for falling into this trap set by the corrupt Democratic Party! I absolutely will vote for Judge Moore. No one I know believes this garbage.

• June Grudzinski

11/11/2017 04:49 PM

I agree that I feel he is being framed. Mitch McConnell did not want him in this race to begin with and he has blocked all financial aid from the GOP, before these allegations were brought up. They got the president to back Luther Strange at McConnell's request. This man is being "railroaded' by the RINO's in Washington, because he is a Christian and a Conservative, and he speaks his mind. Why don't they have these women take a lie detector test as well as Judge Moore. By the way whatever happened to all the women who had the sex allegations against President Trump when he was running for office???

• JAMES FERRONE

11/11/2017 03:52 PM

It seems to me that when Judge Moore refused to remove the Ten Commandments it would have been the ideal time to smear him. How could he cling so close to the Decalogue if he had committed such a horrible sin? I guess since it wasn't sensational enough and because he was defeated by men who rejected a primary base of our Constitution , why bother to attack a loser? .Now, it makes more sense because he may be on the way to being elected and the Left, as well as the Republican Establishment fear anyone who clings to Christian values.God help America!

• Bishop Edward Skiba

11/11/2017 03:47 PM

Not surprising. Scripture tells us they will call what is good...evil, and what us evil...good. This continuing battle is not against flesh and blood, as we well know.

• Ernest.f.brodie

11/11/2017 03:23 PM

When I was a boy on the farm, my friends and I made and threw mud balls at the barn wall, seeing who's would stick. We discovered that by adding a little manure to the mud, they stuck better. So it is with politics on the left. Like our mud balls, there is a distinct smell.

• Dianne Gilbert

11/11/2017 02:52 PM

My prayer is that Judge Moore will stay in the race; he is needed in Washington to help drain the swamp. One would have to exist as a mushroom not to see what is going on here. For shame on those women who, if their claims hold ANY water, wait more than 3 decades to bring their stories forward. What is the impetus now? Money? On an equally curious note, where is Republican leadership support for Judge Roy Moore? Senator Lee pulls his endorsement? To listen to McCain and other denizens of the establishment swamp, Judge Moore is guilty as charged based on nothing more than the words of these johnny-come-lately women who had ample opportunity to bring the same charges at any time throughout Judge Moore's long and upstanding political career! This stinks of Establishment sabotage. It infuriates me to see it go on. I pray that the people of Alabama will support the man they elected TWICE as Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court; he loves America and her Constitution. They will do well by themselves to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to this politically motivated garbage and continue to elect Judge Roy Moore as their next Senator!!

• Richard Marineau

11/11/2017 02:03 PM

Kudos to your Mike...if we presume guilt before a fair hearing then this country is going down faster than I thought. As for the media most of it is totally corrupt and certainly not truthful. I will keep on prayin' for the LORD to intervene.

• Betty Bryant

11/11/2017 01:59 PM

I don't live in Alabama but I do believe in "innocent until proven guilty". Anybody can accuse another person of anything and the press will be more than willing to run it especially if it is against a Republican running for office. There should be some protection for innocent people whose lives can be ruined by vicious lies printed in the newspaper.

Judge Roy Moore's response

November 10, 2017

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM.

• Ben Johnston

11/12/2017 02:52 PM

Were this true, wouldn't it have come out in other political races he has run?

• ROSEMARY BOWDEN

11/12/2017 02:48 PM

I vote for Moore. I would never subscribe to the corrupt WAPO .

• Robbie Mize

• Howard A Milor Jr

11/11/2017 08:46 PM

• Annette Fincher

11/11/2017 08:28 PM

• John christy

11/11/2017 08:03 PM

Whoops, It must just been a bad dream.
    The point is : What a crock.

• Sherry Glover

• Richard Marineau

11/11/2017 02:03 PM

• Betty Bryant

11/11/2017 01:59 PM

Judge Roy Moore's response

November 10, 2017

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM.

• Ben Johnston

11/12/2017 02:52 PM

Were this true, wouldn't it have come out in other political races he has run?

• ROSEMARY BOWDEN

11/12/2017 02:48 PM

I vote for Moore. I would never subscribe to the corrupt WAPO .

• Robbie Mize

• Howard A Milor Jr

11/11/2017 08:46 PM

• Annette Fincher

11/11/2017 08:28 PM

• John christy

11/11/2017 08:03 PM

Whoops, It must just been a bad dream.
    The point is : What a crock.

• Sherry Glover