May 2, 2020

Hydroxychloroquine has been shown to protect against malaria –- I took it myself on a trip to India several years ago –- and it has been around for, oh, about 70 years. It’s considered by doctors to be quite a safe drug, though patients should be monitored by their health practitioner “just in case” because it has been associated with heart arrhythmia. Many people who have lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune problems have been on this drug for years, even decades, at a time, and some of these patients really need it to get along, as we're discovering now that they're having trouble obtaining it.

But to hear the media, this drug has terrible, life-threatening side effects. Never mind the stories of dramatic reversals and recoveries; this drug will KILL YOU, even if you're on it for a week or less. President Trump has been irresponsible for suggesting this drug might be helpful in keeping coronavirus patients out of the hospital and off ventilators.

Over the years, medical science has indeed brought us harmful drugs (thalidomide comes to mind) and ineffective drugs. But it looks as though hydroxychloroquine will go down in history as the first politically-incorrect drug.

Since they’ve gone on and on so much about the risks of taking this drug, I got curious and decided to do a little research. So, check these bad boys out: signs of an allergic reaction, such as “rash; hives; itching; red, itching, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing or talking; unusual hoarseness or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue or throat. Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes. Fever, chills, or sore throat; any unexplained bruising or bleeding; or feeling very tired or weak. Feeling confused. Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there.) Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed. Seizures. Very bad dizziness. Very bad headaches. Very bad joint pain. Vaginal itching or discharge. Diarhhea is common...Rarely, a severe form called C diff-associated diarrhea (CDAD) may happen. Sometimes this has led to a deadly bowel problem (colitis). CDAD may happen during or a few months after taking. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain, cramps, or very loose, watery or bloody stools...A very bad skin reaction (Stevens/Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose or eyes...Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away: stomach pain or diarrhea, upset stomach or throwing up. These are not all the side effects that may occur...This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects or risks that may apply to this medicine.”

Wow, that IS overwhelming. I'm not so sure I should ever take this medicine, even for just a few days; It seems you really could die from taking it. The list of possible reactions goes on and on.

But I suppose it’s time to tell you that this is not the list of risks associated with hydroxychloroquine. This list was taken directly from the insert that came in the bag from my drugstore yesterday along with my prescription for an antibiotic called Cephalexin. I’ve been prescribed this exact same drug numerous times in my life, even when I was a very young child with sinus infections; it went under the brand name Keflex. How could my doctor have been so irresponsible as to prescribe it for me? How could my parents have taken such a risk? But here I am --- I lived to tell the tale!

Just a little something to put this issue into perspective. If President Trump had touted Keflex as a way to (in my case) prevent infection after a relatively minor outpatient procedure, the media would be screaming that this is really a very dangerous drug and his ignorance is killing people.

As for me –- because I HAVE done my research –- if I do come down with COVID-19 (actually, I think my husband and I both had it last winter and want to take the antibody test), I will immediately ask my doctor for just three things: hydroxychloroquine, the “Z-pack,” and zinc. Anyone who has a problem with that can go take a long walk inside the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

• mark spowage

05/03/2020 02:18 PM

low dose hydroxy over the counter for the entire world !!
    the world is hiding in fear
    yet the world will speed along roads , where millions die each year
    world wide
    ha ha the left and the devil are laughing as the world hides in fear !!

• Pat J Green

05/03/2020 01:53 PM

Reading all the bad side effects of the drug you decribe just reminds me that makers of anything weather it be drugs or a piece of cheese put all these warings just so they are not sued, and most of the time they put in the state of California it has been found to ? I would be more happy if they just tell us were it is made.

• George Webster

05/03/2020 01:46 PM

Let President Trump know we are thankful he keeps pressing on despite an unfair politically driven media.

• Kevin J. Gorman

05/03/2020 01:11 PM

Physicians in other countries say they have touted much success with hydroxychloroquine especially if started early (prior to full blown deteriorating symptoms) - I would accelerate testing on anything that is reported to minimize illness and save lives from this deadly virus. Another fine example of our media/press no longer doing "investigative reporting" just Trump Deranged Syndrome.

• Jessie Teddlie

05/03/2020 12:58 PM

I agree and exactly what I would want if diagnostic with this virus!

• Sherrel L Morelan

05/03/2020 12:58 PM

I think Big Pharma wants to take hydroxychloroquine off the market because it works and they cannot benefit from it. They are tooting their own drug, because they will get the bucks. But the new drug only reduces the time you have Covid-19, but doesn't stop the deaths from it.

• Connie Morris

05/03/2020 12:37 PM

I also want to take this medicine if I should get the virus. I also take a daily maintenance of Keflex for a chronic case of UTI for over 50 years. So much pain and they finally put me on the maintenance to help. Thanks for all you do, for your humor, your faith and your honesty. God Bless You.

• Grace Cross

05/03/2020 12:29 PM

Concerning the drug, Hydroxychororquine ,I read a post on Facebook that stated: China holds a patent for Remdesivir through an agreement with Gilaed's drug subsidiary branch called UNITAID who has an office in Wuhan . The main financial investors in UNitaid are Soros, Gates, and the WHO . Gilaed and Unitaid were supporters of Hillary Clinton as was Fauci . and Fauci was the one authorized to send millions to the Wuhan Institute of Virology specifically for the study of Coronaviruses. It should be in the news if true !! You can't always believe everything on Facebook so I really really
    want to know if this is true !!

• LCdr Laurie Keiski

05/03/2020 12:20 PM

As the great (?) Rahm Emmanuel has said “never let a good crisis go to waste “. In this case take down Trump and install their democratic socialist utopia. Thank god there are people like you and the governor putting out the real facts.

• Dave Newbry

05/03/2020 12:12 PM

If you watch a few one-minute prescription drug commercials on TV, you should notice they spend about 15 seconds telling you what the drug treats, and the next 45 seconds daring you to take it.

• Patricia de la Tejera

05/03/2020 12:07 PM

Can you research the price of the malaria drug treatment with the cost to the patient of the new drug which has just been approved?

• William Schlumpf

05/03/2020 12:02 PM

when a drug goes through trials every reaction whether directly attributable to the drug itself or to other factors which may or may not be attributable to the drug are documented and upon approval and distribution, listed as possible side effects of the drug. That doesn't necessarily mean the drug itself was the cause but does provide full disclosure to the consumer and protection from hungry tort lawyers (whose antics everyone pays for when we purchase a product). DDT has still not been scientifically proven to cause any harm to humans or birds of prey (shotguns were the real cause in the latter, according to confessions I've heard by old chicken farmers), nor has Roundup been scientifically proven to cause cancer ( a slick lawyer conned a gullible jury, that's all).

• Ronald Bangert

05/03/2020 12:01 PM

Last time I watched a briefing, President Trump was the elected President of the USA, not Bill Gates. Among his medical counselors are Dr Burx, not Bill Gates. Samaritan's Purse & Franklin Graham responded to a NYC hospital for HELP, Not Bill Gates or the Deli Lama.

Amazing how the Hippies from the Sixties have worked their way into the PC narrative on so many fronts, what a power play. They realized early on, "if you can't beat them, join them, then beat them". The same folks that bring you legalized marijuana ( what happened to medical reasons only?) are now weaponizing Hydroxychloroquine? To what end? They are coming to the rescue to the Chinese Government who daily revelations reveal they purposely let it spread to level the economic playing field in the world, or worse, as a weapon of war to raise their prominence in the world? Is China protecting their citizens? Did they inhibit a vaccine being developed as a partner to limit it's spread? No. China has a whole long range vision of itself. Not a 5 or 10 year plan, more like 100 - 1,000 year plan, always calculated.

Like the medicine ads on TV, "Leftyprog has been known to have unlimited side affects including, but not limited to: Socialitis; Econocollapse; Chaoticitis; Hyper Anxiety; Russian Collusion; Problems with breathing; Sudden Death or Disappearance; Heart Attack; Stroke; Extreme Outbursts of Anger; and Death. If any of these occur, please call your physician! Especially before Death!"

Actually, my physician never advises a medicine that would not benefit my health. I had a rash once with a med prescribed by a referral doctor for polymyalgia. My PCP took me off it immediately.

• Joseph Lucero MD

05/03/2020 11:59 AM

I think you’re Spot On here with every point you’ve discussed, Ms. Ainsworth, and I would be proud and honored to share it with many relatives and friends. I really don’t think you have to worry any more about taking the hydroxychloroquine and Zithromax once you’ve been exposed to, and recovered with IgG antibodies now circulating in your body against it, the predominantly benign CoronaVirus that our corrupt Congress has wildly exaggerated in order to usurp all Constitutional limitations in a blatant power grab. I contracted it myself over the last week of February, passed it on to my wife and daughters over the first week of March, and now the whole sham “National Emergency” is being seen by our family in a much clearer light...
    Please accept from myself and mine to you and yours our sincere wishes for continued good health and happiness in all of your endeavors! Joe Lucero MD

• Craig Stotesbery

05/03/2020 11:52 AM

You don't hear much any about hydroxychlorquine lately. I wonder why? Could it be it works and is inexpensive? After all PDJT endorsed it initially???? Now there is rendesivere.. it sounds to me it helps but doesn't to the trick. Where hydroxy does shorten and cure china virus. SD is doing a clinical study NOW. I wonder if we will ever hear about it from the msm, I have my doubts. I would bet the drug companys know hydroxy is cheap and would work better, but rendesivere is not cheap and not available. Strikes me as odd. Why can't we have both and let the doctor and patient decide which one to take! Makes sense to me!!!!

• Donald R Harris

05/03/2020 11:51 AM

the side affect warning are about the same for a lot of drugs The media is probably a much more dangerous enemy than the virus

• Vincent M Tedone MD

05/03/2020 11:43 AM

Zinc stops viral replication but it cannot get into the cell HCQ along with quercitin are ionophores. They carry Zinc into the host cell and hence help block viral replication. Take zinc with HCQ
    Azithromycin along with HCQ can lengthen the Q-T interval which can be dangerous. I would not take a Z pack but would use another antibiotic such as Doxycycline.

The purpose of the media blitz against HCQ is to downplay any effective treatment for C-19 so big pharma can sell us a drug or vaccine. SAD

• Pauline Snyder

05/03/2020 11:38 AM

Thank You for being a voice for factual common sense. You are right. This is (probably) the first political incorrect prescription med. Even Fox news has bought into dissing and blocking news stories about the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine. "They" would rather see people suffer longer, have longer hospital stays and even die, than admit that President Trump was correct about early use of hydroxychloroquine. Shame on them!

• George Bartok

05/03/2020 11:37 AM

I feel anybody with a brain don't pay much attention to FAKE NEWS!!!

• BRAD OLIVER

05/03/2020 11:36 AM

Truth has always been your long suit. The Media and the Democratic Socialist Party continue to subvert and pervert the truth to the point where our country Is coming apart from the seams. Why is it okay for them to yell “fire” and undermine our Republic at every opportunity? Isn’t that against the law? Why doesn’t our Justice Department rise up?

• Caren Macik

05/03/2020 11:34 AM

If only people could hear the truth on the news! You are so right but most won’t do their research and believe the lies they are being told. Even YouTube and the other online media censors have been silencing any other views but the lefts agenda! They would rather people die than try a treatment that might work because their agenda is to vaccinate the world population!??

• Barney Flint

05/03/2020 11:27 AM

I'm with Laura on this.

• R. Dale Turns

05/03/2020 09:46 AM

OH! That is soooo precious! The reality sets in! All these FDA 'approved' meds - with all these "deadly" side effects - they're "OK"... but OMG, don't even think about taking HCq+a Zpac should you have COVID...!!! After all, we're not sure that it might kill you - like the ones that we know could - so let us check it out first!!

Unbelievable the FDA can tout Remdisivir but deny HCq... Ya don't think $$$ might be involved??

May 2, 2020

• mark spowage

05/03/2020 02:18 PM

low dose hydroxy over the counter for the entire world !!
    the world is hiding in fear
    yet the world will speed along roads , where millions die each year
    world wide
    ha ha the left and the devil are laughing as the world hides in fear !!

• Pat J Green

05/03/2020 01:53 PM

• George Webster

05/03/2020 01:46 PM

• Kevin J. Gorman

05/03/2020 01:11 PM

• Jessie Teddlie

05/03/2020 12:58 PM

I agree and exactly what I would want if diagnostic with this virus!

• Sherrel L Morelan

05/03/2020 12:58 PM

• Connie Morris

05/03/2020 12:37 PM

• Grace Cross

05/03/2020 12:29 PM

want to know if this is true !!

• LCdr Laurie Keiski

• Vincent M Tedone MD

05/03/2020 11:43 AM

• Pauline Snyder

05/03/2020 11:38 AM

• George Bartok

05/03/2020 11:37 AM

I feel anybody with a brain don't pay much attention to FAKE NEWS!!!

• BRAD OLIVER