I don’t know when I’ve been so proud of my fellow Republicans.

During yesterday’s shockingly bad House Judiciary Committee hearing, it was the Republicans (along with one objective legal expert, Jonathan Turley), who showed themselves to be the adults in the room. The rest of the participants, as the day wore on, increasingly showed themselves to be drenched in Trump-hate so caustic, it long ago dissolved any real sense they might have once had about the principles of justice as espoused in the Constitution.

I would say this hearing was like the old nursery rhyme: “When it was good, it was very, very good, and when it was bad it was horrid.” (My staff writer/researchers are still asking for hazard pay.) The horrid part was probably worse than you even imagined, with three of the four “expert” witnesses so tainted, no lawyer in his right mind would put them on the stand in an actual trial.

You know by now that one of the witnesses chosen by House Democrats to testify, Stanford University law professor Pamela Karlan, in answer to an obviously set-up question from Sheila Jackson Lee, made a snide and extremely lame remark about President Trump’s 13-year-old son. Here’s what she said: “I’ll just give you one example that shows you the difference between him [Trump] and a king, which is, the Constitution says there can be no titles of nobility. So while the President can name his son ‘Barron,’ he can’t make him a baron.” (I assume she thinks “Barron” is spelled with one “r.”) Besides being about as petty as it gets, this remark shows that Prof. Karlan is probably the last person anyone should rely on for a dispassionate reading of the law. The Democrats’ Trump-hate is so irrational, they couldn’t even see how the testimony of such a Trump-hating witness was going to come across to rational human beings.

That was a major theme of the testimony overall, not counting Turley’s: that the President thinks he’s a king or dictator, which is nothing more than partisan opinion unsupported by fact. Sorry to be graphic, but if the President REALLY behaved like an absolute ruler, these three outspoken “political enemies” would likely be stood in front of a firing squad. That’s what dictators do. Ironically, they also love show trials like the one the House is putting on right now.

It came out in the hearing, under questioning by Matt Gaetz, that Karlan is a political activist who has given thousands of dollars to Democrat candidates, including Elizabeth Warren, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. That in itself doesn’t disqualify her from testifying as a legal expert, but it’s certainly consistent with the partisanship she displayed in the witness chair. She is such a loon, she actually compared Trump’s (brief) delaying of military aid to Ukraine to cutting off rescue services to Americans after a hurricane. (Gee, wonder what she would think of Obama’s failure to send Ukraine military aid at all?) This person hates Trump so much, she has even said she’s crossed the street to avoid walking in front of one of his hotels. Still, according to Tom Fitton of Judicial Watch, she has been considered by the left to be a contender for a Supreme Court seat.  She reportedly was on Hillary's list of prospects. I am not kidding.

Karlan did apologize, sort of, for her remark about Barron, after Gaetz really let her have it. She said she regretted it and that it was wrong but also that she wished “the President would apologize, obviously, for the things that he’s done that [are] wrong...” (Our own Miss Mannerly would say this is a most ungracious apology but that she is probably not capable of better.)

But the good part of the hearing did turn out to be very, very good. What perhaps was the Line Of The Day came from Jonathan Turley: “If you impeach a President, if you make a high crime and misdemeanor out of going to the courts, it is an abuse of power. It’s YOUR abuse of power.” Turley obviously sees through their strategy: accusing the President of the very things THEY are doing, and he turned it around on them.

ASIDE: speaking of abuse of power, did you know “The Schiff Report” includes phone records that were subpoenaed from Verizon and AT&T by Adam Schiff? He apparently obtained call records –- not content, but who was called and for how long –- of Rudy Giuliani, Jay Sekulow, investigative reporter John Solomon (!), Sean Hannity, Devin Nunes, former Nunes staffer Kash Patel, Mike Flynn attorney Victoria Toensing and others, including people at the White House. Who does Schiff think he is, Jim Comey? All the details are here in Wednesday’s piece from Byron York...

But I digress. York also appeared with Martha MacCallum on FOX News Wednesday night, and he ran through the evolution of charges with which Democrats have considered charging the President. After seeming to settle on “bribery,” in Wednesday’s hearing they united on the notion that the President “abused his power.” York says that’s because “it’s big, it sounds very serious, and it’s really fuzzy.”

I would add that if pressed to be more specific, they'll cite the fictional account of Trump attempting to get Ukrainian President Zelensky to investigate the Bidens by threatening to withhold military aid, which is asserted in Schiff’s report with absolutely no evidence to back it up. (In fact, Zelensky himself has provided exculpatory evidence, repeatedly.) The three anti-Trump “witnesses” in Wednesday’s hearing did the same thing, speaking of Schiff’s assertions as if they were proven fact.

In contrast, the Republicans, notably ranking member Doug Collins, made a solid case that what’s really driving the Democrats is the fear that Trump will be re-elected in 2020. This is why they’re in a hurry and can’t be bothered with little things like subpoenas and court challenges (which they likely would lose, along with their “obstruction” argument). The strategy: get it done before too many people notice you haven’t produced one bit of actual evidence. As Macbeth said, “...twere well it were done quickly.”

It was mostly the speed of the process that Prof. Turley had a problem with –- the speed and the overarching anger. I particularly appreciate the way this non-Trump supporter prefaced his opinion: “My personal views of President Trump are as irrelevant to my impeachment testimony as they should be to your impeachment vote.” (THANK YOU.)  Turley said what Congress is doing now is “wrong, because this is not how you impeach an American President.”

And again, THANK YOU, Prof. Turley, for daring to say this:

Another Republican committee member who made me especially proud: Jim Jordan, who powerfully summarized the exculpatory facts that keep being omitted. If there’s a Senate trial, his hard-hitting words should serve as a preview of coming attractions.

To conclude on a glorious note, here’s the magnificent argument made by Mike Johnson of Louisiana. The following must-watch clip will make you proud to be a Republican and give you hope that we can pull out of this political tailspin.  We just need some rational adults in charge.

REP. MIKE JOHNSON: This whole production is a sham

• Kay DeWitt

12/05/2019 02:11 PM

While I suffered through the 8 hours of this hearing...and had already HEARD what Mike Johnson had said...I listened to it again and, UPON doing so, I was reminded how, when he said the words "age of rage" , I had said a rousing AMEN to those words when I first heard Hurley use them.... because our mass shootings bear witness TO this truth!

I slammed my pencil on the table when I heard a Democrat state that, if they did NOT impeach President Trump, they would appear to be hypocritical in upholding the laws of the Constitution! My righteous rage that slammed that pencil ON the table was authored by my grief over the fact that they cared more about being hypocritical by violating the laws of the Constitution than they did about violating the laws....the commandments...of almighty God!!

Because the Democrats are being motivated by their hatred of President Trump, there is no way that, in REALITY, their desire to impeach the President is being motivated by their love for the Constitution...for democracy....or for their country!
    ....AND.....It is impossible because the only REAL love is Christ's love....and because Christ's love loves everyone, it is impossible for a Democrat to love the laws of the Constitution while he, concomitantly, hates the laws of God....like His law that we love our enemies!!!!....

• Tony Miller

12/05/2019 02:01 PM

I have written you in the past but I didn't receive an answer. So, I'm giving it another shot. I have a Conservative Blog page, Far Side of Right," that Facebook has shutdown since Nov. 14 without any explanation. I have appealed several times but they won't answer. I've called but they just give me the Run around until they literally hangup. I've contacted the White House, my Congresswoman, and the FCC but they either don't answer or give me useless information. I am hoping you might have some helpful information that I can use to get my page back up and running?

• D. Gibbs

12/05/2019 02:00 PM

I read this about Pamela Karlan in Wikipedia: “She has described herself as an example of a ‘snarky, bisexual, Jewish women’.”

I found these on the Urban Dictionary:

SNARKY: “... used to describe speech with a specific emotional tone, typically a form of sarcasm informed by cheekiness and a mild, playful irreverence or impudence. When the dominant intent of the communication is to express or convey direct or judgmental rudeness, the sense of mild cheekiness is lost and the overall communication crosses the line to become snide.”

IMPUDENCE: “The quality, state, or an instance of being insulting or grossly lacking in respect.”

SNIDE: “A mean, snobbish or spiteful remark. Usually used to describe an insult or a haughty statement.”

SNOB: “Anyone who thinks they are better than someone else based on superficial factors.”

Don’t forget, this is how she described HERSELF (look it up in Wikipedia). Yet, she was selected as a star witness in the immensely serious process to impeach a U.S. President.

• Thomas Roper

12/05/2019 01:50 PM

It's so amazing this can go on unabated in America! If Trump were a King, Tyrant or a Dictator as they are claiming he is they'd be dead by now, Espstein style.
    If we used their ruler for impeachment Obama certainly would have been impeached.

• Annette Rinehart

12/05/2019 01:46 PM

The dems are losing it. They hate Trump so much I am surprised they haven't hired a hit man to kill him. They cannot act like adults and are going to be very sorry they went ahead with impeachment.

• Dale Elizabeth Johnson

12/05/2019 01:44 PM

At my house, we watched the entire 'impeachment inquiry' testimony and heard the 'expert testimony' on Wednesday past. The four of us have decided that, had we been sitting on a jury panel, we would have had to refuse to hear the case due to lack of a clear and specific charge, and lack of ANY testimony which can't be explained away as extreme political bias or mere difference of opinion. This entire impeachment proceeding is nothing more than a parade of insinuations punctuated by solemn and dire speeches from political figures who hate the President (and those of us, by the way, who voted for him). Nancy Pelosi, Adam Schiff et al are not fooling ANYONE but themselves.

• Michael Hutch

12/05/2019 01:41 PM

...and this why American Parents spend a ton of money to send their kids to high profile colleges????
    This was in open testimony. Imagine what is being taught? This is what is scary!

• Maureen Innis

12/05/2019 01:30 PM

Representative Debbie Lesko-R.Arizona, sent a letter to Nadler saying he should end these hearings, as they are traumatizing the American people. Listen, all you who think we are traumatized, we may be angry and disgusted with the democrats over this, but using the word "traumatized" suggests we are all cowards, trembling in our shoes, fearing what will come next. True Americans are stronger than all this. Watch what happens in the next election.

• Anne Amato

12/05/2019 01:30 PM

With the exception of Jonathan Turley and the Republicans, I was actually so sickened and depressed if this is the level to which our country has fallen.
    *I cannot believe that those 3 professors are actually teaching our children; and if they are any example, how bad are our public schools?
    *And seeing this testimoney and the open and undisguised hatred for President Trump by the Democrats and these 3 legal expert witnesses was stunning.
    *But....the most painful moment was when the female expert maligned President Trump for naming his son "Barron". And...no....I do not accept her lame "apology"...... too little, too late.
    *I remember the beauty, classiness, and kindness of First Lady Jackie Kennedy and how the media never said anything about her that was not positive.

Until First Lady Melania Trump.....and it is my personal belief that we have never seen a First Lady with such an overwhelming level of class, kindness, and beauty......yet.....all the media does is make fun of her....whether it is her clothing, the way she stands, the way she speaks, how she decorates, the way she walks....whayptever....she is vilified by the main stream media on a daily basis! And as parents, both she and President Trump must be heartbroken by the way he is treated as well.

I think President Trump may have underestimated the level of absolute hatred he would be facing....and in addition to doing a great job for Americans (without much help).....I do not think even he saw the level of hatred that the Democrats, their followers, and the mainstream media would heap on the family he so clearly loves.

May God help bless this President and all his family....and God help the United States of America.
    ............
    PS....Just heard....student has now sent a letter to George Washington University demanding the firing of Professor Jonathan Turley......

• Kimberly Lang

12/05/2019 01:26 PM

Well, Nancy Pelosi did it. She announced the House is impeaching our president. My response: II vote for Nancy.... for an Academy Award for her dramatic impeachment announcement performance of sadness, regret, and humility.

• Pat J Green

12/05/2019 01:25 PM

Just to let it be known, I didn't watch any of this . I am glad there are others who did. But the whole thing proves you can find experts anywhere to say anything you want with absolutely no prove

• Joni Evans

12/05/2019 01:14 PM

This is way worse than a nuclear attack - where can I hide from all of this garbage.

• Maureen Innis

12/05/2019 01:14 PM

Once again, thank you Governor and staff, for a very informative piece on the sham "impeachment inquiry". I also watched video clips of Jordan's, Gaetz's, and Collins' statements at the "hearing". I watched the faces of the democrats, Nadler, et al , while these men were speaking, and their expressions all said, "Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up." Nadler was more involved with watching the clock, than what was being said. Thank you for watching all this travesty so we wouldn't have to, and yes, you all deserve hazard pay.

• Allegra Kitchens

12/05/2019 01:12 PM

If it weren't so evil, I'd find it humorous that Ms. Karlan took issue with Pres. Trump's 13 year old son being named Barron years before Trump took office, but failed to mention the real titles of nobility that Obama gave out when he appointed numerous people to various positions in his administration and named them czars. As far as I am concerned that act by Obama violated the Constitution's prohibition against giving titles of nobility. A man not even nominated let alone elected as president giving his son a name which sounds like the minor nobility title of earl is no comparison to a sitting president giving his cronies the title of czar as that title refers to kings. If Ms. Karlan has a problem with citizens, who might at some point become elected, giving or having a first name associated with nobility, I guess that means Queen Latifah could never run, nor can Prince Jackson (Michael's son) or Sir West. Given today's political ideology I'd say Ms. Karlan made a very racist comment in calling to question the name of Barron when hundreds and probably thousands of African Americans name their children Prince, Sir, King, Queen, etc. And finally I'd suppose that, using Ms. Karlan's warped mind as a guide, nobody with the name of Earl better even try to run for President. In fact, let's go a little further with this lunacy and prohibit anybody named Roy from running as that name is a variation of the French word for king which is Roi. LOL

• Kirk Rushing

12/05/2019 01:11 PM

I hope the never Trumpers are getting this hoax. I hope that our contributions to RNC will blast network tv with this crap and the RNC needs to make sure and highlight Democrat San Francisco and LA. I hope we also bomb tv’s with the Baltimore mess and the uncontrolled murders in Chicago. I am praying that we take back the house in record numbers and put these people out of their miseries.

• Elisa De La Torre

12/05/2019 01:04 PM

It’s a sham indeed!

12/05/2019 01:02 PM

The Democrats are listening to a 'BOAT LOAD' of people who don't know $HIT. However at this point after six weeks 'WE THE PEOPLE' know all of their 'IDIOT' thoughts. Yep! That's right folks six week of all of the City idiot's telling us what it is that they 'THUNK'???? Our tax money at work. This just makes you want to HANG the first ten Democrats that you meet.

12/05/2019 12:57 PM

My biggest fear: Peace and Harmony, Why do "WE THE PEOPLE" need a 'organization' when we have The CONSTITUTION of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA. On December 15, 1791 Virginia ratifies ten proposed constitutional amendments, adding the Bill of Rights to the U.S. Constitution. If this central document of American Life were to be changed by Virginia; Virginia would NO LONGER BE FREE. Good Luck with this. In Maryland a sixty-one year old man was KILLED over 'RED FLAG LAW' by the POLICE at his HOME. I would GUESS his family is 'THINKING' this Constitution is NOT WORKING so well. Someone wake up those folk at the Supreme Court of the United States
    1 First Street, NE
    Washington, DC 20543 Time for them to go to WORK. Oh! Just so you don't have to LOOK---- AMENDMENT II ---- A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.----AMENDMENT IV ---- The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.---

12/05/2019 12:54 PM

On the Congress of THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA. "WE THE PEOPLE" don't TRUST them. NONE of them. Now they want to take OUR GUNS, sound like something that has been a 'FAILURE' in the past. Come on 'YOU KNOW' ----a state of inability to do or perform a normal function adequately. Just a little thought! In 1775 the British Empire, the most successful the world had seen, came to America to take the GUNS of the colonist.---- I give you, YORKTOWN, VIRGINIA.

12/05/2019 12:50 PM

Virginia Beach, Virginia. Mayor Bobby DYER, Sir you know me. Shore Drive, Ret. United States Marine. I have NEVER been arrested, why Bobby I have NEVER been handcuff. After my almost twenty-seven years in the United States Marine Corps I became a Master Mason. This past year I was WM of my lodge. In my almost seventy-three years I have taken many 'OATH'S' ending in "So help me God." Like my BIBLE, I also have The CONSTITUTION of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA at my bed side. Perplexing problem here, if SB16 passes in Virginia and sticks, we have until July 2020 to comply or we automatically become felons subject to arrest. There is the rub, how do many of us then honor our solemn oath as Master Masons? Something to ponder isn't it? As 'WE' Marines say ---- "Now there is a LINE IN THE SAND. Let's SEE who steps up to the LINE." Oh! YES, "GET YOUR MIND RIGHT FOR WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO."

• marshall goldman

12/05/2019 12:46 PM

Governor, you forgot Matt Gaetz (spelling). He was also great and chewed them all up without mincing words. It's great to see these Republicans get their mouths open and call a spade a spade.
    However, ALL REPUBLICANS need to be "mad as hell" and get on the backs of these idiots (pelosi,schiff,nadler they don't deserve to have their names capitalized) Needless to say the 3 professors are spouting to our young law students who will sure as heck not be fair or open minded about anything. I'm not sure how these teachers can look at themselves in the mirror when they get up in the morning then go to school and teach our kids how to hate conservatives.

• Fred Gericke

12/05/2019 12:41 PM

REP Mike Johnson has correctly laid out the very obvious reasons these proceedings are a sham. I am embarrassed with what the Democrats are putting our country through and resent that they think what is happening is legitimate. I feel confident the people of our great country will be able to see through this charade. What a shame.
    On another note, we need to look at REP Johnson as a future candidate for President. He seems to have the right stuff.

• Linda Russell

12/05/2019 12:32 PM

Great argument, Rep. Mike Johnson! I totally agree and especially your last comment “God help us”!!

• Frances Davis

12/05/2019 12:22 PM

How did these dumb people win an election??? Can’t they read & understand the laws. God Be With PRESIDENT TRUMP.

• Shirley Dyess

12/05/2019 12:16 PM

Governor Huckabee, thanks so much for your up dates. I read yours and sometimes it is the only news I read.
    I am proud to be a Republican also .
    My prayers are for President Trump,Vice President Pence and our country.

I don’t know when I’ve been so proud of my fellow Republicans.

And again, THANK YOU, Prof. Turley, for daring to say this:

• Linda Russell

12/05/2019 12:32 PM

• Frances Davis

12/05/2019 12:22 PM

• Shirley Dyess

12/05/2019 12:16 PM

I am proud to be a Republican also .
    My prayers are for President Trump,Vice President Pence and our country.

I don’t know when I’ve been so proud of my fellow Republicans.

And again, THANK YOU, Prof. Turley, for daring to say this:

• Linda Russell

12/05/2019 12:32 PM

• Frances Davis

12/05/2019 12:22 PM

• Shirley Dyess

12/05/2019 12:16 PM

I am proud to be a Republican also .
    My prayers are for President Trump,Vice President Pence and our country.