December 5, 2019

I don’t know when I’ve been so proud of my fellow Republicans.

During yesterday’s shockingly bad House Judiciary Committee hearing, it was the Republicans (along with one objective legal expert, Jonathan Turley), who showed themselves to be the adults in the room. The rest of the participants, as the day wore on, increasingly showed themselves to be drenched in Trump-hate so caustic, it long ago dissolved any real sense they might have once had about the principles of justice as espoused in the Constitution.

I would say this hearing was like the old nursery rhyme: “When it was good, it was very, very good, and when it was bad it was horrid.” (My staff writer/researchers are still asking for hazard pay.) The horrid part was probably worse than you even imagined, with three of the four “expert” witnesses so tainted, no lawyer in his right mind would put them on the stand in an actual trial.

You know by now that one of the witnesses chosen by House Democrats to testify, Stanford University law professor Pamela Karlan, in answer to an obviously set-up question from Sheila Jackson Lee, made a snide and extremely lame remark about President Trump’s 13-year-old son. Here’s what she said: “I’ll just give you one example that shows you the difference between him [Trump] and a king, which is, the Constitution says there can be no titles of nobility. So while the President can name his son ‘Barron,’ he can’t make him a baron.” (I assume she thinks “Barron” is spelled with one “r.”) Besides being about as petty as it gets, this remark shows that Prof. Karlan is probably the last person anyone should rely on for a dispassionate reading of the law. The Democrats’ Trump-hate is so irrational, they couldn’t even see how the testimony of such a Trump-hating witness was going to come across to rational human beings.

That was a major theme of the testimony overall, not counting Turley’s: that the President thinks he’s a king or dictator, which is nothing more than partisan opinion unsupported by fact. Sorry to be graphic, but if the President REALLY behaved like an absolute ruler, these three outspoken “political enemies” would likely be stood in front of a firing squad. That’s what dictators do. Ironically, they also love show trials like the one the House is putting on right now.

It came out in the hearing, under questioning by Matt Gaetz, that Karlan is a political activist who has given thousands of dollars to Democrat candidates, including Elizabeth Warren, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. That in itself doesn’t disqualify her from testifying as a legal expert, but it’s certainly consistent with the partisanship she displayed in the witness chair. She is such a loon, she actually compared Trump’s (brief) delaying of military aid to Ukraine to cutting off rescue services to Americans after a hurricane. (Gee, wonder what she would think of Obama’s failure to send Ukraine military aid at all?) This person hates Trump so much, she has even said she’s crossed the street to avoid walking in front of one of his hotels. Still, according to Tom Fitton of Judicial Watch, she has been considered by the left to be a contender for a Supreme Court seat.  She reportedly was on Hillary's list of prospects. I am not kidding.

Karlan did apologize, sort of, for her remark about Barron, after Gaetz really let her have it. She said she regretted it and that it was wrong but also that she wished “the President would apologize, obviously, for the things that he’s done that [are] wrong...” (Our own Miss Mannerly would say this is a most ungracious apology but that she is probably not capable of better.)

But the good part of the hearing did turn out to be very, very good. What perhaps was the Line Of The Day came from Jonathan Turley: “If you impeach a President, if you make a high crime and misdemeanor out of going to the courts, it is an abuse of power. It’s YOUR abuse of power.” Turley obviously sees through their strategy: accusing the President of the very things THEY are doing, and he turned it around on them.

ASIDE: speaking of abuse of power, did you know “The Schiff Report” includes phone records that were subpoenaed from Verizon and AT&T by Adam Schiff? He apparently obtained call records –- not content, but who was called and for how long –- of Rudy Giuliani, Jay Sekulow, investigative reporter John Solomon (!), Sean Hannity, Devin Nunes, former Nunes staffer Kash Patel, Mike Flynn attorney Victoria Toensing and others, including people at the White House. Who does Schiff think he is, Jim Comey? All the details are here in Wednesday’s piece from Byron York...

But I digress. York also appeared with Martha MacCallum on FOX News Wednesday night, and he ran through the evolution of charges with which Democrats have considered charging the President. After seeming to settle on “bribery,” in Wednesday’s hearing they united on the notion that the President “abused his power.” York says that’s because “it’s big, it sounds very serious, and it’s really fuzzy.”

I would add that if pressed to be more specific, they'll cite the fictional account of Trump attempting to get Ukrainian President Zelensky to investigate the Bidens by threatening to withhold military aid, which is asserted in Schiff’s report with absolutely no evidence to back it up. (In fact, Zelensky himself has provided exculpatory evidence, repeatedly.) The three anti-Trump “witnesses” in Wednesday’s hearing did the same thing, speaking of Schiff’s assertions as if they were proven fact.

In contrast, the Republicans, notably ranking member Doug Collins, made a solid case that what’s really driving the Democrats is the fear that Trump will be re-elected in 2020. This is why they’re in a hurry and can’t be bothered with little things like subpoenas and court challenges (which they likely would lose, along with their “obstruction” argument). The strategy: get it done before too many people notice you haven’t produced one bit of actual evidence. As Macbeth said, “...twere well it were done quickly.”

It was mostly the speed of the process that Prof. Turley had a problem with –- the speed and the overarching anger. I particularly appreciate the way this non-Trump supporter prefaced his opinion: “My personal views of President Trump are as irrelevant to my impeachment testimony as they should be to your impeachment vote.” (THANK YOU.)  Turley said what Congress is doing now is “wrong, because this is not how you impeach an American President.”

And again, THANK YOU, Prof. Turley, for daring to say this:

Another Republican committee member who made me especially proud: Jim Jordan, who powerfully summarized the exculpatory facts that keep being omitted. If there’s a Senate trial, his hard-hitting words should serve as a preview of coming attractions.

To conclude on a glorious note, here’s the magnificent argument made by Mike Johnson of Louisiana. The following must-watch clip will make you proud to be a Republican and give you hope that we can pull out of this political tailspin.  We just need some rational adults in charge.

REP. MIKE JOHNSON: This whole production is a sham

• Joe Broadway

12/05/2019 12:05 PM

At the pool I had boys rubbing the hair on my leg while the hair was turning blond. I know roaches and boys were jumping in my lap.

And they think Trump is a problem? Elect him.

• Doug Morgan

12/05/2019 12:03 PM

If these three represent the most qualified Harvard has, sure makes you want pay their price for your children to attend there!
    I think the average American can see through this clown show. The only reason I'm worried about the these idiots' game is that the President is suffering through all of it, and now his family.
    I'm more concerned that the democrats like Hillary, Brennan, Comey, and even Adam Schiff will go unscathed when they deserve to be in prison. There is no one on the republican side that can/will effectively prosecute any of them.

• Jerry Korba

12/05/2019 12:02 PM

My comments about our teaching, our public schools and the overall educational system is over financed and more important is teaching the value of Socialism and Communism to our young students as I said before while Sanders and Warren have popular ideas of free Healthcare Education, that teaches Socialism that while the students are not in high paying jobs don't understand that the Government will take its hard earned paycheck and spend it the it wants by higher taxes the kids will remain stupid till they see the Federal Tax and income deductions on their checks only then will they understand Socialism is a fraud and doesn't work for working people. Yesterday hearings is a reason why Home schooling is popular the Professors talking is an indication how far Left our schools have become. Thats why Suburban educated women is an oxymoron they were taught Socialism no balance to the difference of Capitalism you need two sides of a coin to make a good decision thats why Conservatives have trouble getting their vote.

• Del Vanderbeek

12/05/2019 11:58 AM

I believe you are right Mike Huffman in that the reason the democrats continue to want to impeach President Trump is because the know they do not have anyone to compete against President Trump. I hope it is a landslide for President Trump.

• Thomas H. Nienburg Sr.

12/05/2019 11:58 AM

We witnessed the baby killing, socialists, progressive democrats at their best, spurring forth their hypocritical vomit for the American republic voters to see.
    The democrats are doing the work of satan.

• Carole Weaver

12/05/2019 11:53 AM

Amen Brother! I'm so glad we have you to tell it like it is. I don't know how these people can call themselves Americans!
    Be Blessed,
    Carole Weaver

• William Tait

12/05/2019 11:49 AM

What REALLY bothers me about all this is with all the non existent "illegal" things President Trump had been accused of, yet NOTHING was shown to be valid, why are these people still at it hurting America this way. Not only financially, but more important to the people they are "supposed" to represent. Not to forget the Constitution and Amendments that are within our whole history as a Nation. There must be a way to get rid of these people. Three years of NOTHING, anywhere and that covers a lot of territory and personal pain to the Nation and Trump family and friends. Sad to have a Corrupt and illegal FBI, DOJ, Congress, IRS,DHS, heck, about 90-95% of them in the Federal government. But we can't forget the States part in all this either.

• Helen Walker

12/05/2019 11:48 AM

I am disgusted with this kangaroo court. It needs to be stopped!!!

• Janet Underwood

12/05/2019 11:46 AM

The Democrats are showing themselves -- and it ain't pretty!

First, I want to say that I think Turley's opening statement was brilliant and a much needed voice of reason. I hope the public gets a chance to hear it.

Second, I just saw a video clip of Pam Bondi on Maria Bartiloma's show where she said that the 300 page "report" of the Intel committee hearings omitted the words "I presume," "I surmise," and any reference to hearsay. Is that true? If so, wouldn't that be tampering with evidence and a criminal act?

Third, I'm so sick of the Democrats and their media "friends" making the leap from accusations to guilt so blithely (except when it involves one of their own), even when the facts disprove the irresponsible accusations. It is my sincere hope that the Dems take such a beating in 2020 that the party never recovers and has to dissolve. I think it would be far better for our country to have Republicans and Independents as the two main political parties.

• Oscar Williams

12/05/2019 11:33 AM

The President WANTS a Senate Hearing. That's the only way the wormy filth of this "Government" (Deep State, SAIC, etc) will be exposed. Read Isaiah 11: 8-10. He does indeed smite them by the rod of his mouth. The weeping and gnashing of their teeth will be heard to the Heavens. Things whispered in the shadows will be proclaimed from the rooftops. D.C. needs some open air.

• Linda Mahan

12/05/2019 11:32 AM

The 3 law professors left no wonder why our attorneys & courts are so messed up with the opinionated bias they possessed. Prof Turley was a refreshing intelligent man I left wondering why he is not nomi ated for Supreme Court. Would be a wonderful addition.

• Dusty

12/05/2019 11:27 AM

Watch today The View and the attacks of Whoopi and Sunny and Abby sits there she needs this job? She is not backing one thing per the President. Watch Meghan she is on Bidens side and nothing she can back for this President per her father. I was not able to vote for her father yet voted Republican since Goldwater. I just could not understand how they picked Palin to be a VP HOW? Did not make sense. I have written to tell her. Her father fought this President all the way. I understand the comment made on Vietnam not the best way to move forward but also not enough to stand with the Democrats? Sorry. This Impeachment a TOTAL Scam. See they could not get the Russians made us do it not vote for Hillary. No Russian was needed for me to not vote for her ever. Now we get this the poor Ukrainians they could not fight without this military money? We gave them BILLIONS where is it? WHO GOT IT? This is what Glenn Beck has shown in 3 specials on the Ukraine and the attacks by many there on this President Trump and not being addressed by most of the liberal press. Now the View they said okay this professor use the statement on Barron and not using the Pres son? Sunny and Abby did not agree that this was right. Now Whoopi is on food stamps and why take away from children. She is using the elderly. We give food stamps here to illegals in Georgia I have seen the use in my stores by the immigrants. Joy starts on the immigrants the children separated. Amazing what they lie and swear to that is not going on. Many of the kids are not with their parents being used also. I only watch this see this show Gov or your people they are terrible on how they present anything this President tries to do. WHY is ABC doing this. Not the regular type Barbara show? I use to love this show. For over two years daily attack nothing he can do for them. They love this to impeach and it is not true what is being said or done? Going to back fire and I hope this next week when the Dossier is presented and what went on and by who that a few are prosecuted like Manafort who is in prison for what may have been set up in the Ukraine by a few in our state dept? Phone records that he a one man did this how is this allow what judge and how is one judge if in New York the only one why was this not presented to the lawyers of those involved to fight up further to the Supreme Court. Lets get all of Hillary her records ? since she got rid of thousands of her bogus e mails. WHY? Every Republican in the Congress now needs to stand and fight. No more nice and against this President he is being fought by the top SWAMP they do not want to lose their money and power .

• Kathleen M Cooper

12/05/2019 11:24 AM

We like your comments on these terrible actions from the Democrats. M so ashamed of them. Feeling sorry for the president for having the live through all of this millarkey! We appreciate your comments and your TV show every Saturday or Sunday. Like all the guests you have been invited on. Keep it up, we enjoy Saturday nights eating popcorn and discussing events.

• Paul Kern

12/05/2019 11:21 AM

They are attempting a scorched Earth policy. Satan is pushing them to kill, steal, and destroy. We need to be in constant prayer for all on authority as the Bible commands.

• Jerry Korba

12/05/2019 11:20 AM

I am going to say thank you President Donald J Trump for having the most people in this country working today and especially yesterday. The reason being they did not have to be insulted by the hearing yesterday. For the people that watched some of the Judge K hearing a new low for Democrats in serving the people's Justice, then Schiff's brand of Justice a new low in the people's Justice, yesterday Nadler's brand of Justice U guessed a new low. As the hole the Democrats dig gets deeper in depression and desperation by trying to Impeach the President should only secure Donalds's reelection. The people still shaking their heads at this lunacy will not come out to vote or they will vote to end having this brand of lunacy exposed or happen. The country has problems that need to be addressed and that is not happening now with democrats playing the part of Barney Fife. If the Country is to move forward the House needs to be controlled by adults fixing problems is at the top of America's agenda if not the insanity will continue. Most of the country is turned off by Pelosi Schiff Nadler the 2 ways to rid the country of these people is to vote them out or cut the Communist funding that makes these people act the way they do however if they do the Communist will get what they want from these people one way or another after being paid and don't deliver its up against the wall you communist bastards either way good riddance. Like I said before everyone has feelings!!!!

• Martin Hill

12/05/2019 11:18 AM

Absolutely agree with your assessment of Rep Jim Jordon...He is an absolute GEM.

• Brenda Blagg

12/05/2019 11:17 AM

I’m very happy to say that I have changed my political registration from a democrat (I was 18 in 1975) to a Republican! Nancy has lost her mind and needs to retire. Sincerely, Brenda

• Steve Turman

12/05/2019 11:15 AM

Hollywood has moved to Washington D.C. what a production. The best writers couldn’t come up with this fiction. The waste of our tax dollars is the real problem for me. The electricity they use everyday is wasted.The Dems.have opened a door that will can never be closed, so where is this going, If Trump is re-elected? If trump is not re-elected the dems take us back to the same old play house of do nothing B.S. as before. I see people spending money and going places that 10 years ago was not happening, I would say Americans in general are very well off, other wise these people out spending money would be home paying bills with their money. Oh well what do I know, I am in that deplorable basket Hillary put me in. Yeah right! If you believe that you are a Democrat!

• Joseph Arena

12/05/2019 11:09 AM

Impeachment doesn’t bother me all that much because the Senate will not vote Pres. Trump out of office. I am more bothered by the thought that all the anti-Trump players like Brennan, McCabe, Comey, etc. will walk away from there wrong doings with a slap on the wrist and high paying jobs with the liberal media. Forgive me for wanting revenge but I want punishment for these people. I am being told now that the long anticipated IG report will fall short and, God only knows, what the Durham investigation will show. I worried that I am being let down slowly but surely.

• Judy Grealis

12/05/2019 11:08 AM

A very horrifying thought is that the "three legal experts" are teaching our young people who are studying law.

• David Skordahl

12/05/2019 11:04 AM

Whether Democrat or Republican, we should be seriously concerned how this attempt to impeach our duly elected president of the United States is destroying our democracy. I personally am saddened that our tax dollars are wasted on such an long ongoing attempt to destroy this man. There are so many more things they should be concerned about, but their obsession with there impeachment has them sidetracked from doing the work they were elected to do.
    May God have mercy on us. During this Advent and Christmas season, my prayer is that the light of Jesus who loves the world to the point of sacrifice may shine in the hearts of our elected congress and other leaders. Merry Christmas to you all!

• Scott Cain

12/05/2019 11:02 AM

The Democrats act like the 8 years of Obama never happened.

• Cynthia Bryant

12/05/2019 11:01 AM

What Mike Johnson had to say is SPOT- ON! Pray hard that Americans will turn their hearts back to God, AND vote their consciences next November to stop this downfall of our country!

• Martina nania

12/05/2019 11:01 AM

I made a comment before and I would like to add to it. To all the people who believe this garbage. For a moment a just think like a parent . All politics aside. What would you do if this was happening to your child. You wouldn’t like it. I hope you would take a minute and think about it. I would also hope that you would stand up for your child and put a stop to it. These people don’t care about the American people, if they did, they wouldn’t stoop so low as to demean a child. They have no heart or soul. I really feel sorry for them. To have that much hate eating away at you. It’s sad

• James Powell

12/05/2019 10:55 AM

The bottom line is that President Trump defeated the Queen of the Democratic Party (Hillary) and for that he must pay!

December 5, 2019

I don’t know when I’ve been so proud of my fellow Republicans.

And again, THANK YOU, Prof. Turley, for daring to say this:

REP. MIKE JOHNSON: This whole production is a sham

• Joe Broadway

12/05/2019 12:05 PM

And they think Trump is a problem? Elect him.

• Doug Morgan

12/05/2019 12:03 PM

• Jerry Korba

12/05/2019 12:02 PM

• Del Vanderbeek

12/05/2019 11:58 AM

• Thomas H. Nienburg Sr.

12/05/2019 11:58 AM

The democrats are doing the work of satan.

• Carole Weaver

12/05/2019 11:53 AM

Be Blessed,
    Carole Weaver

• William Tait

12/05/2019 11:49 AM

• Helen Walker

12/05/2019 11:48 AM

I am disgusted with this kangaroo court. It needs to be stopped!!!

• Janet Underwood

12/05/2019 11:46 AM

The Democrats are showing themselves -- and it ain't pretty!

• Oscar Williams

• Judy Grealis

12/05/2019 11:08 AM

• David Skordahl

12/05/2019 11:04 AM

• Scott Cain

12/05/2019 11:02 AM

The Democrats act like the 8 years of Obama never happened.

• Cynthia Bryant