In an interview with Jake Tapper on Sunday’s CNN “State Of The Union” show, White House advisor Kellyanne Conway mentioned that she herself had experienced sexual assault.  She’s referred to sexually compromising incidents before, but not in the context of the current allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.  Since I am, in fact, a woman –- of this I’m “100 percent sure” –- and have been discussing the Kavanaugh confirmation process in the forum graciously provided by Gov. Huckabee, I’d like to offer a few thoughts.

First, it might be a good idea to read an account of exactly what she said.  You can read details at the link here.

The excellent point Conway was making in the interview was that the confirmation proceedings of Judge Kavanaugh should not be a referendum on the #MeToo movement, while also showing empathy to Dr. Ford and to all who have been sexually assaulted.  She did a good job.

As far as I know, Conway has offered no follow-up details of the assault she referenced, though now she's sure to be pressed for them.  (And, considering that she’s a conservative woman, I’m not so sure she’ll be believed, especially if the perpetrator was a Democrat, ha.)  The term “sexual assault” in 2018 is so broad that it seems to cover everything from college-campus micro-aggressions to aggravated rape.  I suppose that in this age of “zero tolerance,” some women would lump a lingering stare or a too-close encounter on the subway into the same category as forcible kissing, groping, peeping in a dressing room (which is a lot easier to do these days, but I digress) or even a violent sexual attack.

Someone I’m very close to who was date-raped at a party when she was quite young was highly skeptical of Dr. Ford’s story – not that a teenage boy who’d had a few beers tried clumsily to get fresh in an upstairs bedroom (and that’s likely all it would have been, not necessarily an attempt to rape her), but that the incident seemed to have scarred her so deeply for life.  We both thought this fragile, childlike, psychologically injured woman was being shamefully exploited for political gain by horrible people who didn’t care if they further damaged her in the process.

This friend would no doubt react to Kellyanne’s revelation the same way I do:  “Well, duh!”  Who hasn’t had to deal with some degree of unwanted sexual attention at some time in her life?  It’s wrong, and it shouldn’t happen, but it still does, like a lot of other wrong things in this world.  Sometimes it’s a horror, a nightmare.  Sometimes the scars it leaves are more than psychological.  If laws were broken, we need to stand strong and get law enforcement involved –- right away –- and/or file civil charges if it happened in the workplace.  But we don’t need the details of what happened to Kellyanne, and she doesn’t need to tell us now.  She handled it the way she chose to at the time and has moved on.

It was surreal to me seeing the video of Sen. Jeff Flake being accosted by those crying women in the elevator.  I was furious listening to the nonsense they were yelling at him and felt (once again) embarrassed to be female!  This is what the #MeToo movement has become.  Where did these women get the idea that if someone doesn’t believe Dr. Ford, it means the victims of sexual assault aren’t being listened to?  This is ONE CASE.  One set of circumstances, from 36 years ago.  One source of uncorroborated allegations in a sickeningly politicized environment.  One example of a man being presumed guilty by many in the hearing room and having to prove his innocence.  These women seemed to be out of their minds, and they, just like Dr. Ford, were being used –- weaponized for political purposes.  Poor, sad Jeff Flake looked as though somebody had just stomped on his puppy as he stood there and took it.  His was the solemn face of a man who'd been guilted into thinking that voting for Kavanaugh was the same as giving every rapist in America a big thumbs-up.

I would tell these women that I do listen to victims of sexual assault.  I listened to every word of testimony by Dr. Ford.  I’m sorry, but I still don’t believe her story.  She may believe it herself, but I don’t.

Finally, I’m going to stick my neck out and say something that will be considered controversial by some, but here goes:  speaking hypothetically, if young Brett Kavanaugh, as a 17-year-old boy at a party with beer and no adult supervision, HAD clumsily overstepped his bounds and acted inappropriately with a girl at a party, I would be prepared to forgive him, consider the life he has led in the 36 years since, and let him go on to become a Supreme Court justice.  (Incidentally, my standards for this would be the same whether he were a liberal or conservative nominee.)  His credentials are stellar.  Of course, on his part this would require testifying truthfully before the committee about what happened and sincerely apologizing to Dr. Ford for unknowingly causing such lasting harm to her.

But, again, that’s a hypothetical, because I don’t think it was Kavanaugh who did this, so he has nothing to apologize for.  It’s he who is owed an apology by many, an apology that he will never get.  And, given what we know, he deserves to be seated on the Supreme Court.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Pat Robins

10/02/2018 10:55 AM

Always the professional, always informed and ways fair and I respect and admire your ethics and integrity.

• Sharon Roser

10/02/2018 10:53 AM

GREAT article by Laura Ainsworth! I, also, do not believe Ford's story. It is completely beyond my comprehension that someone (who should not have been at a drinking party when she was underage in the first place) would have the traumatic experience she reports but returned to the party and no one suspected anything (her clothes & hair were not messed??) and she never told anyone. She was groped and traumatized but able to continue through the rest of the evening with no one noticing anything was amiss? That's harder for me to swallow than that Kavanaugh had some involvement!

• Sam Doubet

10/02/2018 09:38 AM

I would like to add to your line on forgiveness. If something really did happen to Dr. Ford, the perpetrator would have to answer to God for "vengeance is mine says the lord". Likely that person would have already experienced their sentence by now if not the day he stands before God. So if Kavanaugh really did something, he has 6 FBI investigations, 2 presidential approvals, and countless people throughout his career to vouch for his current character today. If God's plan for Kavanaugh is to be a supreme court justice, we should not intervene.

• Robert Sutton

10/02/2018 08:33 AM

I think there is no comment here more relevant than the contrast between the professional and personal life that Judge Kavanaugh has led in the intervening 35 years, and the incident itself, which is difficult to be believed as described (given the scarcity of detail). We have statutes of limitation in this country for many offenses (not this one, but I digress) precisely because of the half-life of memory of the average human being, combined with our regard for the presumption of innocence.

We either regard Brett Kavanaugh based on 35-year-old allegations against a juvenile, or based on the exemplary personal and professional life he has led as an adult. I choose the latter.

• Catherine Stamper

10/02/2018 07:37 AM

Excellent! My thoughts exactly. Especially like how you point out how unbelievable it is that she was so deeply traumatized by something most women would consider an unfortunate but relatively ordinary encounter with drunk, handsy teenage boys.

• Denise A Wright

10/02/2018 01:58 AM

Great interview comments Kellyanne. Very balanced and filled with empathy, respect, and truth! We love what you are doing helping our President and Vice President to make America great again! God bless you!
    Thank you Governor Huckabee for adding this to your excellent newsletter. We love them and look forward to reading them daily.

• Debra Weinberg

10/01/2018 10:40 PM

Amen! And Thank you.

• Helen Jo Johnson

10/01/2018 09:58 PM

Thank you for this article. I agree completely.
    I am a 65 y/o woman who, yet understands if this did happen to Dr Ford , but I just do not believe her. She would " not be at all unsure of when, where or how " this went down !!!! I know.
    Sincerely, Helen Jo Johnson

• Kevin Cook

10/01/2018 09:58 PM

Okay I’ll be one of the few that thinks Ford is a mentally ill liar looking to get rich quick.

• Anne Monk

10/01/2018 09:53 PM

I totally agree. My prayers are being lifted for the placement of this man in the Supreme Court. I'm sick of this madness.

• Dennis E. Cromwell

10/01/2018 07:49 PM

My wife & I read your column everyday... it is absolutely horrendous what Brett Kavanaugh & family have had to endure in the last 3 weeks. We believe Brett...and pray that he will be confirmed. Don't expect there will be anything new under the sun...even with a 7th FBI investigation.

• Cindy Marcum

10/01/2018 07:40 PM

Laura, I was so happy to read your article. Finally, another woman that doesn't blindly believe this accuser just because she's a woman. I watched her as well and did not believe her. I felt like she embellished. And, if she was so damaged by this incident, why did it take so long and why all the seemingly underhanded last minute public spectacle. As a woman that actually experienced worse, I found her totally unconvincing. Does this mean I think all victims are lying? Of course not and the idea is ludicrous. However, everything about this supposed incident is highly suspicious.

• Toni R Phillips

10/01/2018 07:23 PM

Extremely well said!

• Joan Livesay- Banks

10/01/2018 07:17 PM

Thank you for your courageous commentary. I agree with you at every level of your opinion. I believe millions of fair minded women from all political persuasions would agree with your stance. I feel sorry for Dr. Ford but I don't find her story or presentation of it credible. A check into her background would be fair. Too many discrepancies in HER story. Again, thank you for speaking up.

• Fred H Sayin

10/01/2018 07:01 PM

The women in the elevator who accosted Senator Flake should be charged with emotional abuse it's a technique called: " Gaslighting" trying to make person(s) feel guilty for their decisions/actions If it's opposite of what the other person wants. Also could there be charges of interfering with a political activity?

• Gregg Lindquist

10/01/2018 06:36 PM

What a wonderful article speaking the truth. Thank you for your insight. Brett Kavanaugh will make an outstanding member of the SCOTUS. The sooner we get this done, the better.

• Joan Weicht

10/01/2018 06:07 PM

I agree with you 100%. What did she expect going into a bedroom with a boy/boys??? Of course they would want to try something. If her friends saw her going to the bedroom, they would be very curious as to what happened while they were in there, and would have asked her all kinds of questions, "How far did he get?". I'm elderly but remembering back, yes there were boys who would try. It was not a surprise if they tried. Great article. Thank you. I love reading your opinions.

• Rosie Cooper

10/01/2018 05:38 PM

The last half of my comment was cut off. Here is the continuation.
    To Mike Huckabee:
    Urgent please.
    (Continuation of earlier)
    Unless the FBI has access to her psychological and councelling records to determine her mental stability and condition, given the lack of any evidence, her testimony needs to be pretty much ignored at this point.
    Most likely she would blame any instability on the claimed incident. The point is, if she has chosen to dwell on this and play victim all these years (if it even happened, if it wasn't a recurring dream of some sort) she is clearly not well enough to be a reliable witness.
    Surely the FBI can investigate her without making details of the "confidential" counsellor's notes become exposed. I beg you to make this investigation equal. Her character MUST receive the same scrutiny as Brett Kavanaugh. No, she isn't applying for supreme court, but she is being allowed to publicly crush and destroy a man and his family. (FYI, women ARE capable of being devious, even predatory, as well as men are
    Thank you for hearing me out.
    God bless you,
    Roselyn Cooper

• Rosie Cooper

10/01/2018 05:34 PM

The last half of my comment was cut off. Here is the continuation.

Above date is wrong. Should be 9/29/18

Urgent please.
    Honorable Rand Paul,
    Thank you for your faithful years of service to our country. I trust you to be a man of integrity, and I appreciate it very much.
    Now that an FBI investigation into awwBrett Kavanaugh looks inevitable, I urge you to require equal (at the very minimum) investigation into Dr. Ford and her history. No one seems to dare to speak a word that might to actually question her in any way
    I watched the entire hearing yesterday, and the follow up today. My observation throughout her testimony revealed many things to me that create suspicion, and in total create serious concern. I'll try to be brief.
    She began her testimony with an artificial, child-like voice, but couldn't sustain it.
    She was fully capable of turning on a tear-filled and pitiful voice, but immediately change to a calm, clear voice, including a smile.
    Much has been made of her many degrees, her college professorship, and her heading up several important committees. It was meant to insinuate we must, then, believe everything she said. Here is the issue...if she is a strong, educated, in charge woman, how is it that she came off looking and sounding so pitiful, so much like a poor, uneducated country girl. That is, until she wanted to impress people by tossing out phycological terms. How is it that she acted like there was so much she couldn't understand in the questioning? Why wasn't more made of the obvious lie concerning fear of flying when the evidence proved she rode in airplanes all the time?
    Did nobody see that she, herself, appeared to be an unwell woman? No one asked if she was prone to having nightmares or very strong dreams. People DO have trouble separating dreams from reality in this case.
    Thank you for hearing me out.
    God bless you,
    Roselyn Cooper

• Roselyn M. Cooper

10/01/2018 05:26 PM

Please read the following letter I sent to Rand Paul. A similar one to M. McConnell. Both on 9/29/18.
    I have no other way to communicate with them do I? Please get this to them. Can I demand the FBI investigate Ford?
    Don't we have an obligation to consider her accusations in light of her mental health!!!???

Above date is wrong. Should be 9/29/18

Urgent please.
    Honorable Rand Paul,
    Thank you for your fathful years of service to our country. I trust you to be a man of integrity, and I appreciate it very much.
    Now that an FBI investigation into Brett Kavanaugh looks inevitable, I urge you to require equal (at the very minimum) investigation into Dr. Ford and her history. No one seems to dare to speak a word that might to actually question her in any way
    Most likely she would blame any instability on the claimed incident. I also had a similar incident as a 17 yr old freshman in college. And I did not even know my way back to the dorm. Afterward, I decided I shouldn't have gone to the frat house party in the first place. I was able to stop him, and nothing happened. I was very unaware of that kind of behavior, never having had anyone act quite like that, so it took me a few minutes to realize his intent. The point is, if she has chosen to dwell on this and play victim all these years (if it even happened, if it wasn't a recurring dream of some sort) she is clearly not well enough to be a reliable witness.
    Thank you for hearing me out.
    God bless you,
    Roselyn Cooper

• Kelley Bost

10/01/2018 05:11 PM

She's lying. Having experience both as a teenage "victim" who is older than her and who was younger than her at the time of my incident, the things she's forgotten are the things I remember just as much if not more. Also, having a psychologist for a niece who has the same credentials as her, and whose specialized field is sexual conduct, Dr. Ford knows what to say, how to say it and what she can get away with not saying. Also her performance the day of the session was not real or convincing. History has shown that women have lied for centuries about sexual assault for many reasons, this is the reason they have been treated so skeptically in the past, not because men don't care.

• Betty Blanks

10/01/2018 04:29 PM

This is what I have been saying since this fiasco began. I am 84 years old and have been the subject of many sexual assaults. Thankfully I was never raped but it is a horrible thing to happen. I would imagine this has been the history of many women but after 36 years why is it such a big deal now? As long as you have not been injured (she was just groped as I was) you get over it. I remember all of my incidents perfectly and she remembers nothing except it was Judge Kavenaugh??? This is just another democrat scheme to get at President Trump. The Judge and his family have been horribly damaged by this and it makes me mad as h###. I think he seems like a very intelligent gentleman and am so sad for him and his family. I would be ashamed to be a Democrat now. Hate filled nasty evil people.

• Kerry Sowards

10/01/2018 04:25 PM

I want to thank You! I was once a young rebellious teen some odd 35 years ago. I was a peace punk bay area party girl! I did experiance true aggressive sexual assault! I went on to join the army, fight for our country, raise 3 amazing son's and I am a proud grandmother of 5, 3 of them male. I too am embrassed to be female! We are not victims! We are warriors who rose above our youthful issues, grew as people and learned to forgive, love and live!
    I am ashamed of the actions of how this played out on television "triggering" victims yet to grow into understanding, self responsibility and forgiveness. If we do not standup against this disaster of a false outcry, I fear it is another feminization tool of my male descendants!
    AGAIN Thank You for your stand!
    Kerry Sowards

• Marlene gerundo

10/01/2018 04:12 PM

I am so with you. I do not understand how anyone could bring up anything after all those yrs! Maybe something did happen to her, but I doubt very much with kavanaugh. I cannot stand the nastiness. How can something of so many yrs even thought to be brought up! I do not think I could get choked up even from something 5 yrs. ago..maybe even not last yr.!
    I feel sorry for men too.
    I was in the work place and I brought incidents up as they happened, and I was not afraid of losing my job as some woman say.
    Woman use men to get ahead. I could go on and on but this is a total disgrace. I do not remember all the negative and nastiness when Clinton had sex in the Oval Office!.. and hecdestroyed Monica. She probably was in awe being with the president and maybe even thought he loved her? There is no proof on Kavanaugh yet they crucified her and asked Dr. Good nothing.
    Thank you for making known your thoughts...you are great.
    Truly yours
    Marlene Gerundo

• Kevin Schwinkendorf

10/01/2018 04:03 PM

If all women are to be believed at all times, then Juanita Broaddrick has to be believed, which means that Bill Clinton is a disgusting piece of garbage and a CONVICTED RAPIST!!! (convicted, according to the "standards" of the "Me-Too" movement!) - according to Broaddrick, the last thing Slick Willie said to her as he was leaving (after raping her, and biting her lip in the process), was, "Better put some ice on that!"

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Pat Robins

10/02/2018 01:58 AM

• Debra Weinberg

10/01/2018 10:40 PM

Amen! And Thank you.

• Helen Jo Johnson

10/01/2018 09:58 PM

Thank you for this article. I agree completely.
    Sincerely, Helen Jo Johnson

• Gregg Lindquist

10/01/2018 06:36 PM

• Joan Weicht

10/01/2018 06:07 PM

• Rosie Cooper

10/01/2018 05:38 PM

The last half of my comment was cut off. Here is the continuation.
    To Mike Huckabee:
    Urgent please.
    (Continuation of earlier)
    Thank you for hearing me out.
    God bless you,
    Roselyn Cooper

• Rosie Cooper

10/01/2018 05:34 PM

The last half of my comment was cut off. Here is the continuation.

Above date is wrong. Should be 9/29/18

Urgent please.
    Honorable Rand Paul,
    Thank you for hearing me out.
    God bless you,
    Roselyn Cooper

• Roselyn M. Cooper

10/01/2018 05:26 PM

Above date is wrong. Should be 9/29/18

Urgent please.
    Honorable Rand Paul,
    Thank you for hearing me out.
    God bless you,
    Roselyn Cooper

• Kelley Bost

10/01/2018 05:11 PM

• Betty Blanks

10/01/2018 04:29 PM

• Kerry Sowards

10/01/2018 04:25 PM

AGAIN Thank You for your stand!
    Kerry Sowards

• Marlene gerundo

10/01/2018 04:12 PM

I feel sorry for men too.
    Thank you for making known your thoughts...you are great.
    Truly yours
    Marlene Gerundo

• Kevin Schwinkendorf

10/01/2018 04:03 PM

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Pat Robins

10/02/2018 01:58 AM

• Debra Weinberg

10/01/2018 10:40 PM

Amen! And Thank you.

• Helen Jo Johnson

10/01/2018 09:58 PM

Thank you for this article. I agree completely.
    Sincerely, Helen Jo Johnson

• Gregg Lindquist

10/01/2018 06:36 PM

• Joan Weicht

10/01/2018 06:07 PM

• Rosie Cooper

10/01/2018 05:38 PM

The last half of my comment was cut off. Here is the continuation.
    To Mike Huckabee:
    Urgent please.
    (Continuation of earlier)
    Thank you for hearing me out.
    God bless you,
    Roselyn Cooper

• Rosie Cooper

10/01/2018 05:34 PM

The last half of my comment was cut off. Here is the continuation.

Above date is wrong. Should be 9/29/18

Urgent please.
    Honorable Rand Paul,
    Thank you for hearing me out.
    God bless you,
    Roselyn Cooper

• Roselyn M. Cooper

10/01/2018 05:26 PM

Above date is wrong. Should be 9/29/18

Urgent please.
    Honorable Rand Paul,
    Thank you for hearing me out.
    God bless you,
    Roselyn Cooper

• Kelley Bost

10/01/2018 05:11 PM

• Betty Blanks

10/01/2018 04:29 PM

• Kerry Sowards

10/01/2018 04:25 PM

AGAIN Thank You for your stand!
    Kerry Sowards

• Marlene gerundo

10/01/2018 04:12 PM

I feel sorry for men too.
    Thank you for making known your thoughts...you are great.
    Truly yours