May 8, 2020

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo admitted that he was stunned to learn from new research that 66% of the state’s new hospitalized coronavirus patients had been “sheltering in place” before getting sick.

Some cynics pointed out that it shouldn’t be shocking that if almost everyone is being forced to “shelter in place,” that a majority of any group will be people who were sheltering in place. But it also shows that, as I’ve mentioned before, Edgar Allen Poe was right in “The Masque of the Red Death,” that you can’t hide away from disease by locking yourself up in the house forever. Viruses will circulate, some people will be more susceptible than others and will get sick, and when they do, the worst cases will need to go to the hospital. It should serve as a reminder to the “keep the lockdown going for years” crowd that this was supposed to be a temporary measure to “flatten the curve” – that is, to stretch out the infection rate and keep a massive wave of cases from overwhelming the health care system early on, before we had treatments, ventilators or hospital beds.

We now have all those things, and surpluses of the latter two. It’s time to face the fact that some people will get sick and we’ll have to deal with it, but we’re much better prepared to do so. Most others won’t get sick, and that will create herd immunity, which will help defeat this virus, just as it does all viruses eventually. We don’t want the cure to be worse than the disease, but we may be nearing the point where hiding out and doing nothing while waiting for a cure is becoming worse than the disease.

By the way, something to bear in mind: as we do more and more testing, many more people who are carrying the virus will be identified. This is completely predictable, since we now know that it was much more widespread than we thought, so of course many more tests will identify many more people carrying it. This will be used by the left to claim that in states that are relaxing the lockdown, there's a massive second wave of cases, which is not necessary true. Particularly when the tests were conducted even before the lockdown was relaxed and we’re only now seeing the test results.

• Cody Watson

05/09/2020 12:16 PM

Wonder If that 66% comment will make the evening news?

• Dennis L. Robison

05/09/2020 12:13 PM

Fauci has demonstrated publicly on multiple occasions although he is being careful not to show it that he is a "resistance operative" in hiding. The advice Fauci and others gave the President is terribly devastating to our country and our God given liberty. Multiple people gave the President bad advice so they could get a "take down" started. This is another 'take Trump down' effort from enemies within...

• Fiorella Weaver

05/09/2020 12:09 PM

Surprise, surprise! Please urge the POTUS to fire the "experts"!

• Patricia Raduziner

05/09/2020 12:07 PM

Dear God, we must fight them on this lockdown. It’s just a ploy to keep us good little soldiers and I am getting so sick of this charade. I want my granddaughters to get back to school as they are used to and restaurants, malls and theaters to open again. This is ridiculous. I am not saying there’s no virus going around but isn’t this just so convenient for the democrats to use this to change America and the way we vote even. In fact I heard this was planned by Fauci, Gates and a whole lot of democrats. That’s just plain evil if that’s true. I would not put anything past Gates, Soros and democrats. ????

• Brian Sherman

05/09/2020 12:02 PM

Gov, please bear in mind that even with the new testing for Coronavirus antibodies, we are learning that the antibody test identifies those who have had a Coronavirus infection at one time---a very common cold virus that circulates in our country. We do NOT as yet have a test that is specific enough to identify SARS-Cov-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. One lab scientist said it may take 5-10 years to develop such a sensitive test. A positive result may not mean that you have SARS-Cov-2 and further examination may be necessary based on one's clinical condition. That's why I believe that one can shelter-in-place and still be positive for the Coronavirus while appearing to be asymptomatic. It takes good medical people to quickly make the differential diagnosis between a positive test result for a Coronavirus and one who has the SARS-Cov-2 Coronavirus.

• Barbara Kaufer

05/09/2020 11:55 AM

I know this is not the forum for what I am saying but I just have to get it out there.
    The part that really disturbs me is that these, mainly, Democrat, Mayors and Governors are drunk with power and people are being led like sheep to slaughter. I'm afraid that when they do develop a vaccine they are going to demand this for everyone as well as your children in order for them to return to school. In addition how do we stop all these stimulus packages that are specifically designed not just to break Trump but to break the country, when are people going to wake up.

• Joanne Schmidt

05/09/2020 11:54 AM

The Houston Chronicle condemned Dr. Robin Armstrong in an editorial for treating his nursing home patients with hydroxychloroquine. You followed up with the results, Gov. Huckabee, while HC and other media did not. The results were actually quite good, and your link to a blog story bears that out. Unfortunately, the graphics on that blog were quite unsuitable for re-posting, and I had to scramble for other sources to post on my FB page. I appreciate the update, Governor, but may I recommend you use sources that don't stir up an outraged response from Christians.

• Cathy l Burch

05/09/2020 11:54 AM

Governor. I so enjoy your daily insights. I’m not a conspiracy theorist but I do believe strongly in the intuition that the Holy Spirit gives us. So food for thought . Has it occurred to anyone that the two largest states California and New York became the epicenters of the most patience and deaths . California legislature has already passed changing voting to mail in and New York is thinking about it ..I’m no expert but in my 45 years of nursing we never quarantined well people and we did contact tracing at the beginning of the outbreak of any infectious disease..

• Joan Saltz

05/09/2020 11:50 AM

Dr. Fauchi needs to be investigated! People need to listen to Dr. Buttar and Dr. Just Mikovits! Please have them on your show!

• Floyd A Unger

05/09/2020 11:49 AM

Yup and absolutely

• Connie L Bickel

05/09/2020 11:44 AM

I'm an old lady who stays healthy and I'm going about my business as usual.

• Kay DeWitt

05/09/2020 11:38 AM

Mike, if you have read most of my comments, then you know that, periodically, I have talked about this pandemic being God's "judgment" on ...His wake-up call to...the churches that have preached a gospel that the apostle Paul, in Galatians 1: 8, 9, identifies as "another gospel" which he said was "accursed" .

This morning, I opened the monthly newsletter that I receive from the Bible Broadcasting Network (known as BBN) radio station that was founded by the late Dr. Lowell Davey, right here in Charlotte (BBN now is broadcast around the world). In honor OF Dr. Davey, this monthly newsletter includes a column entitled, "From the Founder's Pen", and, this morning, IN this column, I read:

..."On May 25th, we celebrate Memorial Day. This day is so important because we remember all of those who gave their lives to protect this great nation. They are truly our heroes and their sacrifice has kept us the 'Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.' TODAY I DO NOT BELIEVE WE WILL BE DEFEATED FROM THE ENEMY WITHOUT, BUT RATHER FROM THE ENEMY WITHIN. Someone once said, 'AS THE CHURCH GOES, SO GOES THE NATION.' IN THESE PAST FEW YEARS THE CHURCH HAS HAD A GREAT TURNING AWAY FROM DOCTRINE IN MUSIC, IN EVANGELISM, IN PREACHING, and in SEPARATION FROM TH WORLD. It is time for us to open the Bible again and turn to 2 Chronicles 7:14, 'If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray....' The big question is 'IF' "

I was so blessed to read these words of Dr. Davey's this morning because, one more time, I have felt like "a voice crying out in the wilderness" because I have yet to read anyone else's comment that expresses this God factor (for lack of a better way of expressing it) when equating the "cure" with the "disease"...Time will tell how GOD equates it.....because if it is HIS cure, obviously, it WILL be better than the disease...the "unseen enemy" FROM His perspective !!!

• Steven Swanson

05/09/2020 11:33 AM

Unfortunately, there is a group of people that are more than willing to sacrifice both the national economy and over all health all for political power!

• Robert Crane

05/09/2020 11:28 AM

Mike, I think a heat lamp would kill the virus, let me know if this has credibility. Thanks Bob

• JOHN MARS

05/09/2020 11:28 AM

IMPEACH THIS MORON AND THE MAYOR OF NEW YORK CITY...TOTAL IDIOTS WHO ARE WASTING OUR TAX DOLLARS -- WHAT A COLOSSAL DISGRACE.

• AngelaMartignetti

05/09/2020 11:22 AM

No one, and I mean no one, is discussing the pandemic if 1968 . We had the Hong Kong flu, whose name was not racist by the way, that infected millions and 100,000 died with a population of around 200 million. We did not shelter in place or totally shut down the economy. What changed? The one world order, globalist mentality that is in our top echelons of government is basically in charge with the likes of Bill Gates. President Trump was being advised by these people and he had to do what he did or be totally destroyed. We need to develop immunity to viruses. That is not accomplished by sheltering in place and constantly wearing masks. It may have been good for NY but not for the majority of the country. We need to wake up America and take our country back! I for one refuse to be afraid and intimidated. I will practice safety and not be reckless but I will get my fresh air and sunshine.

• David Stahl

05/09/2020 11:14 AM

I’ve seen enough from Dr. Shiva, Dr. Erickson, and similarly talking highly qualified “scientific experts” to think that the lock downs were a mistake. Or at the most like they and you said - 15 days to flatten the curve. But here in Los Angeles it seems the mask wearing may be permanent. I hate it. An officer wouldn’t let me into CVS without my mask on yesterday (5/8/20). Of coarse this is to protect others they say . I think this is scientifically erroneous. Please, medical scientists, speak up as the other brave scientists have! I don’t trust Dr. Fauci. I don’t think a vaccine is the only thing that will get us out of this as he says.

• William Poole

05/09/2020 11:13 AM

Further to 'And the Backlash Continues' paragraph, the stay at home order also violates another basic constitutional right - the freedom to practice one's religion.

• Barney Flint

05/09/2020 11:07 AM

Where to start. Not being educated to a greater extent many times frustrates me when I want to reply to some of the articles that I have to try read. It seams that almost everyone of the articles goes off on a tangent for several sentences where they attempt to spin the narrative in a negative fashion before getting around to what they might be wanting to actually say. The other thing that is done is the "it's not really what the other person said, it is this" and they have so many new illustrious descriptive adjectives I sometimes have to go look up what they are trying to impart. Perhaps I am just getting older and wishing for more of the Mark Twain style of imparting a narrative. Probably my Aires birthday is in play as well.
    Many thanks for your daily updates.

• Nathan Ray Frisby

05/09/2020 11:06 AM

It makes plenty of sense if you think about all the apartment complexes that New York residents live in sharing the same heat & air conditioning systems and I bet filters haven't been changed during this time and one person coughing near a vent could very possibly spread to another, this is why so many in the nursing home rooms and the prison system have similar problems. Just my opinion.

• William Fuhrer

05/09/2020 11:06 AM

FORGIVENESS. Laura Ingraham interview with Reverend Franklin Graham showed how Christians respond Samiritans Purse was asked for help they ran toward danger and certain sinners in New Yrk City did not like them but Reverend Franklin Gram said that if request again he would respond in the same way

• Carol Hopper

05/09/2020 11:04 AM

Forgive me for not taking this story as fact. More like manipulated numbers. As people shelter in place, they are not 100% quarantined. Where did food come from, where did medicine come from? Plus some in family or household as we are learning includes more than one family, some could have infected going in and some could have been sick but symptoms were light. I may believe some but not 66%.

• Judy Radley

05/09/2020 11:03 AM

Fresh air is ALWAYS better for people and also UV rays from the sun and Vitamin D that we get from the sun too, just like President Trump said, and the liberals laughed at him! He is right more often than he is not right. Actually, I don't know when President Trump hasn't been right, he is always right it seems. He is a very wise person. Today, as I was getting gasoline for my car, a young, maybe late teens early 20's, gas attendant said he is liking President Trump more and more.... So yes! Even the young people who are old enough to vote are liking President Trump more and more now, especially during this shutdown of businesses. They want to get back to work, especially in NYS, and President Trump is all for it.... Go President Trump! 2020 is in your pocket, I hope! I will vote for him again! He is awesome!

• Klaus J Christoph

05/09/2020 10:54 AM

The left is only interested in destroying our economy, so they can impose their Socialist/Communist goals. The climate change hoax did not catch on, so the virus conveniently came along. We are in big trouble if we allow this to keep going.

• Danny Browning

05/09/2020 10:53 AM

Governor Huckabee you can add my name to your. Cynic list because this whole blamed corona mess is the biggest media contrived Chicken Little Hysteria mess ever. No I am not an idiot I have a major in Biology and minors in chemistry, physics, technology and robotic engineering.
    1. We never needed to shut the economy down because we have and will always have flu viruses.
    We should have been ready.
    2. I am a retired Sergeant Major and veteran. Therefore having trained in biowarfare have always been taught is that of terrorist infiltration into the economy of dread diseases that the easiest way to get an epidemic started is to send carriers into crowded areas via humans that are as symptomatic and spread it. The first clue should have been China bragging about having a two and one half million soldiers and not a single soldier got The COVID flu. They either had the vaccine for immunity or lying through their teeth. This defies all statistical odds. Trump did good shutting downs the borders. I concur if he hadn’t more terrorist carriers would have come in. If anyone but Trump had been president, this country would already be Bowing down to China. They have slowly been setting us up for the kill for years.
    They have created a monster that they have the antidote for that will continue to wreak havoc on countries from now on. After all, why is the few lives of 500,000 to the premier of China. They are living on top of each other and yet have fewer cases than the United States. They know something we don’t and are lying if they say they don’t or either they are just plain lying. We need to determine which.

May 8, 2020

• Cody Watson

05/09/2020 12:16 PM

Wonder If that 66% comment will make the evening news?

• Dennis L. Robison

05/09/2020 12:13 PM

• Fiorella Weaver

05/09/2020 12:09 PM

Surprise, surprise! Please urge the POTUS to fire the "experts"!

• Patricia Raduziner

05/09/2020 11:50 AM

• Floyd A Unger

05/09/2020 11:49 AM

Yup and absolutely

• Connie L Bickel

05/09/2020 11:44 AM

I'm an old lady who stays healthy and I'm going about my business as usual.

• Kay DeWitt

• David Stahl

05/09/2020 11:14 AM

• William Poole

05/09/2020 11:13 AM

• Barney Flint

05/09/2020 11:07 AM

Many thanks for your daily updates.

• Nathan Ray Frisby

05/09/2020 11:06 AM

• William Fuhrer

05/09/2020 11:06 AM

• Carol Hopper

05/09/2020 11:04 AM

• Judy Radley

05/09/2020 11:03 AM

• Klaus J Christoph

05/09/2020 10:54 AM

• Danny Browning

05/09/2020 10:53 AM

We should have been ready.