NBC keeps digging

January 25, 2019

I recently quoted the old saying, “When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.”  Add NBC News to the list of media outlets that’s apparently never heard that one.

After soiling their reputation like Baby Huey’s diaper in the rush to condemn the students of Covington Catholic High School, and rather than abjectly apologizing and promising to be more professional, NBC seems determined to keep digging until they find a pony in the pile of horse manure they generated themselves.

The network’s latest attempt to trash the reputations of some innocent Catholic teenagers came with an article headlined, “Gay valedictorian banned from speaking at Covington graduation ‘not surprised’ by D.C. controversy.”  Gee, sounds like that school must be a  haven for censorious homophobes!

Except there are a few minor problems with NBC's headline.  First, the gay student didn’t even attend Covington Catholic High School.  He went to a different school in the Covington Diocese.  Also, there’s no evidence that he was barred from speaking because he’s gay.  The diocese says that both he and the student council president’s speeches were rejected because they submitted them too late to be added to the program.  Also, they were political and inappropriate to the occasion.  So other than the facts that the interviewee never attended that school and wasn’t banned from speaking for being gay, the headline is 100% accurate.

The student also passed along some negative comments he claims to have heard about the school he never attended which were somehow deemed newsworthy by NBC (Incidentally, I’ve never been in NBC’s executive suite, but if I claim to have heard rumors that it’s infested with rats, would that be considered newsworthy, too?)

To make it even worse, NBC wasn’t fooled into unthinking hysteria this time by a misleading video on Twitter.  They spent several days digging up and writing this non-story and concocting a misleading headline for it. They don’t have the excuse of temporary insanity.  This is malice aforethought.

To NBC and all the other media outlets that refuse to admit that their own partisanship and lack of professionalism made them leap before doing due diligence and slander these kids: Stop it!  Stop trying to tear innocent kids down to prove you were right when you weren’t.

I didn’t think it was possible for the public to hold you in any lower regard, but you insist on digging the hole deeper.  Now, the mud you’re unearthing to throw at those kids is only sticking to you.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

The threat of "fake news"

A Twitter alternative

• Teddy Woodward

01/25/2019 02:56 PM

The things these IDIOTS tell us that WE ARE SUPPOSED to BELIEVE. I think MY all time favorite tractor trailer full of manure was the one about the crooked businessman in Colorado who THEY CLAIM committed suicide by shooting himself in the head with a nail gun NINE times. NINE TIMES?!? While I'm not a voyeur, I sure would like to have seen THAT FIASCO. Can you imagine? Disgraced big shot loads nail gun. "Goodbye cruel world". THUD. "OUCH"! "I'm still here". Guess I need another one". THUD. "OUCH! Hmm. I guess third time's the charm". THUD. "OUCH! DAMN! Here we go again". THUD. "Holy Toledo. I didn't know I was going to have to build an ADDITION on the side of my head to get this done"! Then, FINALLY, after only NINE nails, the deed was done and the corrupt businessman went to meet his NOT AMUSED maker.
    The PROBLEM is that the ABILITY TO THINK LOGICALLY has been slowly but surely STRIPPED from Americans by their constant bombardment of LIES. THINK FOR YOURSELVES. What they REALLY DON'T LIKE about Pres. Trump is that he calls a spade a spade. GOD BLESS HIM, and his COURAGE to tell Americans the truth. FAKE NEWS is what we have heard ALL OF OUR LIVES. WAKE UP AMERICA. FOR ONCE, we have a REAL FRIEND in the White House.

• Joseph

01/25/2019 01:58 PM

They wonder why people think they aren't journalists when they show extreme bias in every story and when it doesn't fit their agenda they make it fit .

• Gretchen Grant

01/25/2019 01:50 PM

Stopped watching NBC when it was revealed Brian Williams was a fake. Actually stop listening to the news altogether. Don’t need the frustration and stress of lying fake news.

• Shirley Murray

01/25/2019 01:19 PM

Right on! Thank you for all the information. The press keeps digging themselves in, but I am eager to see them cover themselves. As long as the uninformed read their news, we keep on having issues. They need to be slammed with slander to stop it.

• Thomas Messner

01/25/2019 12:59 PM

Mike,
    I keep seeing people making arguments to support abortion that so closely mirror the arguments made against the abolitionists fighting slavery.
    It is none of your business
    It will create a financial burden
    You don't know anything about it because you (are rich or white or male) live in the north
    They are not our equals and our rights are more important than theirs (clump of cells)
    How can they not see this?

I know you have already said this but it needs to be constantly repeated maybe it will finally sink in.

• Mary Lois Kotarba

01/25/2019 12:55 PM

"NBC’s executive suite, infested with rats," hahaha, it sure is, at least the 5 foot + tall ones.

These people are so wrapped up, in their evil ways, they don't even see it. How hurtful it is, to the rest of us. And, ultimately to them.

• Michael Cull

01/25/2019 12:51 PM

I believe that NBC has put down their shovel, and rented a backhoe.

• Dolores Green

01/25/2019 12:41 PM

Who do you think you are kidding with all the misleading info and outright lies you put out and then when exposed , no apology-just try to dig up or create more false info to try to redeem yourself. People with a working brain are onto you and will cancel you out of our lives. When it starts to cost you lost business ($$$) maybe you will "get the message"

• Betty Ridgill

01/25/2019 12:34 PM

Thank you, Mike, for what you do! My heart aches because of what is going on in our country. I heard both interviews that were done by Samantha Guthrie, and I couldn't believe the treatment each one got, and how blatantly different they were. Evidently she doesn't have a teenager, yet. If she watched the full video of this situation, she should have seen this man walk up to the student, who was waiting for the bus to pick his group up, walking right up to his face with his drum. Some say the boy had a smirk on his face. I didn't see that. I saw a young male, who appeared to be uncomfortable with this man standing there. Boys, at this age, sometimes are not really sure what to do and they become nervous. But, she asked this young man questions as if he was guilty of provoking Nathan Phillips. She had already made up her mind that he was. On the other hand, she, so politely, and sympathetically, asked Phillips questions to soothe his feelings. And, I question his answers. Praying? I've never seen anyone pray in that manner. And, the other group was outrageous. I am so sick of the PC people pushing this nonsense on us. I know the origin of it, and he's still working behind the scenes. Wake up America! Help me not to forget that my GOD is still in control!!!!

• Gretchen Smith

01/25/2019 12:21 PM

These lib news media are the reason I don't watch any of them. I watch some of fox and read your comments everyday. Also watch your Saturday night show.

• Robert Morphew

01/25/2019 12:21 PM

Brother Huck.
    Three rules for the Public Speaker:
    1. Get Up.
    2. Speak Up.
    3. Shut Up.
    I learned this in Seminary.

• Charlotte Nixon

01/25/2019 12:08 PM

Thank you Gov Huckabee... we love and respect you, we watch your show faithfully because we the people need to know the truth and we deserve to know. May God continue to bless you and your precious daughter Sarah.

• Thomas Wenndt

01/25/2019 12:02 PM

Lessons to learn from this: *Liberals (in their world) are never wrong - they just haven't gotten to the bottom of the(ir) full truth yet; *Ultimately their world says that conservatives are THE arch-enemy of the entire world, a greater threat than anything else in the world. So, since they know these people (again, in their world) clearly are a bunch of hateful, close-minded, xenophobic, homophobic, low-intelligence hicks, they inevitably will find what they need to reach these conclusions; *Liberals (in their world) are never wrong.

• kathy chiappetta

01/25/2019 12:00 PM

Love reading all your articles. You are my favorite!!!

• Shirley Murray

01/25/2019 11:56 AM

Amen Brother Huckabee. Your comments are right on. Thank you for having the courage to stand up. Surely there are Christian politians in WDC. Wish they had the courage to stand up for their beliefs.

• Kevin Cook

01/25/2019 11:53 AM

Nothing But Communist (NBC) are at it again and so are the GayKK lynchings. These groups are part of the PC Socialist Marxist Fascist Totalitarian Gestapo (aka Enemedia and Democrats). The PC Gestapo are a very real and serious threat to our freedoms and the existence of our country.
    The US Catholic Church which is filled with homosexual predator priests and Democrat sheeple are being shredded by the very same Democrats they vote for and support. How ironic and pathetic!
    If we dare elect another minority again like Hussein Obama, a homosexual or a woman in this totalitarian era of the PC Gestapo, we are done as a free people and free country. And without a doubt the first people to get persecuted and suffer the consequences of these same angry Democrat totalitarian politicians will be their voters.

• Jeffrey Medler

01/25/2019 11:47 AM

If the Dems are so sure that everyone hates Trump and they will have not only the House, but the Senate and the White House in two years, why won't they accept the 3 year extension of DACCA. After all, in three years they will have all the power they need to do whatever they want about them, the wall and any other of Trump's policies?

• JohnnyE

01/25/2019 11:40 AM

It may not be the students fault, but it reflects badly on the education they're getting. They are going to go out into a world where people look and think differently than them or are of a different gender. They're going to have to learn how to respect other people and to understand their points of view. Teddy Roosevelt was always wary of young men acting with a mob mentality. We see evidence of this all the time, whether it's male students at the Citadel setting women students on fire, or Supreme Court candidates trying to take advantage of women at drunken bashes, or fraternities having blackface parties, or people carrying tiki torches in Charlottsville. Trump at his rallies incites mob mentality to all the people wearing MAGA hats.

That school has acted weirdly in the past:

• Peggy Kincaid

01/25/2019 11:38 AM

Thank you for the info and clarification of the many things you report. My comment is that I truly miss the time when "The news" was reported in such a way that you were able to make your own opinion based on the basic facts. I don't want to hear snarky comments by the reporters. I don't want to be able to tell the reporter's biases from their reports of the basic facts. I want just the news and nothing else.

• Rebecca Abraham

01/25/2019 11:34 AM

Savannah Guthrie's interview was so blatantly trying to get that kid to feel guilty and apologize....it was disgusting. It's shameful how our media has fabricated news to try to derail our President and anyone else who has morals.
    While applauding the legalization of murder in NY.
    Lord, have mercy on our country.

• Frieda Hoff

01/25/2019 11:26 AM

I was wondering why these ads pop up in the middle of your letters , do you promote them , do enjoy your articles when not interrupted by these other things , do you even know that they are there? Thank you

• Jeff Neighbors

01/25/2019 11:26 AM

Now that NBC (and others) have jettisoned "Journalistic Professionalism" they should, at the very least, focus their efforts on being "Responsible Adults"!!!

• Jerry Korba

01/25/2019 11:21 AM

Where does one begin The Democratic Party the Liberal party socialist party communist party the progressive party the party of lets make America worse again party my goodness The hyena has evolved into so many different kinds of animal it is almost amazing. Our queen Pelosi does she expect to go to work or does she expect chuckie to feed her grapes all day long. Nancy get on your broom and get to work or the tax payers will not give a dollar for you to sit around and plaster makeup over your face all day long. When you look into that magic mirror of yours do you see your self helping or ignoring the government workers ask chuckie what he's sees. Better yet put down the grapes ask the workers what they may say; our Queen we do not want to be like you we want to go to work could you get dressed and talk to our President he wants us back at work. Your attendance review shows you have many no-shows for work your employment should be terminated as queen of the Hyenas. Thanks to Our President he allows you to keep the title although it should be stripped and you should be deemed unemployed you may be the worse employee in the country today I am sure your mirror applauds that. Stay bitter Queen it comes naturally for you.....

• Lyndah Anderson

01/25/2019 11:20 AM

I so appreciate all you do to keep us informed. You can make a difference!!!! Keep it up

• Wendy Thomas

01/25/2019 11:16 AM

Dear Mike,
    With this stunt buy NBC there is nothing out there NBC could say or repeat or broadcast that I would believe. In fact they're making it so I don't want to listen to CNN, MSNBC, the New York Times, Washington Post, ABC, PBS, or any other Outlet these haters come up with.
    Thanks for letting me vent,
    Wendy

NBC keeps digging

January 25, 2019

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

The threat of "fake news"

A Twitter alternative

• Teddy Woodward

01/25/2019 02:56 PM

• Joseph

01/25/2019 01:58 PM

• Gretchen Grant

01/25/2019 01:50 PM

• Shirley Murray

01/25/2019 01:19 PM

• Thomas Messner

01/25/2019 12:59 PM

Mike,
    It is none of your business
    It will create a financial burden
    How can they not see this?

• Mary Lois Kotarba

01/25/2019 12:55 PM

• Michael Cull

01/25/2019 12:51 PM

I believe that NBC has put down their shovel, and rented a backhoe.

• Dolores Green

01/25/2019 12:41 PM

• Betty Ridgill

01/25/2019 12:34 PM

• Gretchen Smith

01/25/2019 12:21 PM

• Robert Morphew

01/25/2019 12:21 PM

Brother Huck.
    Three rules for the Public Speaker:
    1. Get Up.
    2. Speak Up.
    3. Shut Up.
    I learned this in Seminary.

• Charlotte Nixon

01/25/2019 12:08 PM

• Thomas Wenndt

01/25/2019 12:02 PM

• kathy chiappetta

01/25/2019 12:00 PM

Love reading all your articles. You are my favorite!!!

• Shirley Murray

01/25/2019 11:56 AM

• Kevin Cook

01/25/2019 11:53 AM

• Jeffrey Medler

01/25/2019 11:47 AM

• JohnnyE

01/25/2019 11:40 AM

That school has acted weirdly in the past:

• Peggy Kincaid

01/25/2019 11:38 AM

• Rebecca Abraham

01/25/2019 11:34 AM

While applauding the legalization of murder in NY.
    Lord, have mercy on our country.

• Frieda Hoff

01/25/2019 11:16 AM

Dear Mike,
    Thanks for letting me vent,
    Wendy

NBC keeps digging

January 25, 2019

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

The threat of "fake news"

A Twitter alternative

• Teddy Woodward

01/25/2019 02:56 PM

• Joseph

01/25/2019 01:58 PM

• Gretchen Grant

01/25/2019 01:50 PM

• Shirley Murray

01/25/2019 01:19 PM

• Thomas Messner

01/25/2019 12:59 PM

Mike,
    It is none of your business
    It will create a financial burden
    How can they not see this?

• Mary Lois Kotarba

01/25/2019 12:55 PM

• Michael Cull

01/25/2019 12:51 PM

I believe that NBC has put down their shovel, and rented a backhoe.

• Dolores Green

01/25/2019 12:41 PM

• Betty Ridgill

01/25/2019 12:34 PM

• Gretchen Smith

01/25/2019 12:21 PM

• Robert Morphew

01/25/2019 12:21 PM

Brother Huck.
    Three rules for the Public Speaker:
    1. Get Up.
    2. Speak Up.
    3. Shut Up.
    I learned this in Seminary.

• Charlotte Nixon

01/25/2019 12:08 PM

• Thomas Wenndt

01/25/2019 12:02 PM

• kathy chiappetta

01/25/2019 12:00 PM

Love reading all your articles. You are my favorite!!!

• Shirley Murray

01/25/2019 11:56 AM

• Kevin Cook

01/25/2019 11:53 AM

• Jeffrey Medler

01/25/2019 11:47 AM

• JohnnyE

01/25/2019 11:40 AM

That school has acted weirdly in the past:

• Peggy Kincaid

01/25/2019 11:38 AM

• Rebecca Abraham

01/25/2019 11:34 AM

While applauding the legalization of murder in NY.
    Lord, have mercy on our country.

• Frieda Hoff