Monica Lewinsky, 20 years later

February 27, 2018

It’s been 20 years since Bill Clinton ensnared himself in a legal and moral mess dubbed “the Monica Lewinsky scandal.” I always thought it should have been called “the Bill Clinton scandal,” but the Clintons had so many scandals –- about five a week, it seemed –- that we needed names to differentiate them all. For that reason, this particular scandal will always carry the name of the woman who, as a naive 22-year-old White House intern, had the misfortune of getting involved with Bill.

Lewinsky has written a thoughtful piece for VANITY FAIR that reflects her many years of self-examination and healing from the trauma she experienced. Though I might normally choose not to comment now on the choices she made 20 years ago, the fact that she has gone public with her feelings and writes so intelligently about them makes me feel that I can.

As it happens, Monica didn’t meet Ken Starr until a chance encounter at a New York restaurant on Christmas Eve of 2017. She felt uncomfortable, understandably, as she “struggled to decipher the warmth he evinced.” Reading between the lines, it seems he was just trying to be nice to her, asking her more than once if she was doing okay. But his “pastoral” demeanor creeped her out a little; she will always remember him as “the man who turned my 24-year-old life into a living hell in his effort to investigate and prosecute President Bill Clinton on charges that would eventually include obstruction of justice and lying under oath...”

It’s true that the investigation into Whitewater ended up dealing with an entirely different scandal. (Again, we’re talking about the Clintons, and there were so many!) Back then, special counsels had even wider powers than they do today. In case you’re not old enough to remember, the only reason Ken Starr ever crossed Monica’s path was because of Bill Clinton’s alleged sexual aggression towards Paula Corbin Jones. The American Spectator did an expose about Clinton’s long-ago use of Arkansas state troopers to help him procure women, and it mentioned a girl named “Paula.” Paula came forth and sued Clinton over alleged sexual advances in a Little Rock hotel room, and (this is key) the Supreme Court ruled that a sitting President could be sued in civil court, leading to depositions in which Clinton, being Clinton, blatantly lied. At that point, whatever evidence Starr could get to prove perjury and obstruction of justice was fair game, including Monica’s blue dress. It must have been a nightmare having her personal life paraded in public and, of course, being abandoned by the older, powerful man who had let her grow so close to him.

Monica has spent long years in therapy, coping with post-traumatic stress and moving forward with her life. She has obviously read widely and quotes Salman Rushdie: “Those who do not have power over the story that dominates their lives, power to retell it, rethink it, deconstruct it, joke about it, and change it as times change, truly are powerless, because they cannot think new thoughts.” She makes it clear that her healing process will never be completely over.

She credits the #MeToo movement with helping her feel supported and less alone. She regrets her choices but is just starting to realize the position she was put in by Bill Clinton. She’s always maintained that the relationship was consensual, but says, “I now see how problematic it was that the two of us ever got to a place where there was a question of consent. Instead, the road that led there was littered with inappropriate abuse of authority, station and privilege.”

And that is why it ultimately goes back to Bill. His authority, his power, his fault. That’s not what Monica says, at least in so many words. That’s what I say.

One last, curious thing. Lewinsky acknowledges that what she did was wrong and that what the President did was a “gross abuse of power,” but she has nothing negative to say here about Hillary’s behavior. Instead, she says, “We watched a First Lady and First Daughter move through the year with grit and grace.” Um, this is the First Lady who graciously called her a narcissistic loony tune and worked behind the scenes to discredit scores of erupting bimbos. Perhaps acknowledging this will play a part in the next phase of Monica’s healing.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

A Tale Of Two Trump Voters

• Lura Sheppard

02/27/2018 02:05 PM

Concerning the Bill Clinton affair: I have a Masters in Personnel Administration and spent over twenty years as a Personnel Director. What Bill Clinton did was classic sexual harassment almost to the letter of the definition. If he had worked for any business or corporate entity he would have been fired on the spot.

• Almira Sant

02/27/2018 01:54 PM

Fast forward to today-suddenly the media that protected Bill Clinton for so long now see it is politically to their advantage to support the women who claim they were assaulted, groped or engaged in being inappropriately treated by men. However, even during the 2016 election the media let Bill off the hook when he was seeing two different
    women in NY. No mention in the media WHY?

• Almira Sant

02/27/2018 01:53 PM

women in NY. No mention in the media WHY?

• Robbie Mize

02/27/2018 01:50 PM

I would say that Monica Lewinsky is wiser and farther along in her healing at this young age than Hillary Clinton will ever be. She has acknowledged her part while Hillary refuses to talk about it. She is much kinder to Hillary than Hillary has been to her.......now that is a sign of maturity.

• Bennye ST.Claire

02/27/2018 01:42 PM

We both know the Clinton's better I think than the general public. He will never change and she will always try to keep him out of trouble. I think Monica was just another stop on the Clinton railline to being what he is a womanizer and flake. Just syain"

• Darrell Mordente

02/27/2018 01:39 PM

Mike, I agree with your comments as far as they went. But one thing, and I think the main thing, is that Ms. Lewinsky will never find peace until she finds it in the Lord Jesus Christ. He and He alone can forgive her sins, bring her salvation, and grant her eternal peace. She suffers from condemnation, condemnation for society, condemnation from self. But Romans 8:1 says, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. I hope she soon discovers this, the one True path to forgiveness and eternal peace.

• RJ

02/27/2018 01:38 PM

It is both amusing and shocking to me that Hillary didn't get the "Slick Willie stink" on her after years of lying and covering for his misdeeds. She called his accusers liars and slandered them repeatedly to the press directly and indirectly, all the time knowing they were 100% telling the truth. Her supporters hold her up as a leader of women and their movement, gives the movement a rotten base on which to build. I actually did giggle out loud when the Trump recording came out of him telling a "friend" on a bus in private that rich men get more play. She called him out as misogynist and a "rapist" with his words. WHAT?! Now come on ... that's funny coming from her.

• Ellie Waldron

02/27/2018 01:31 PM

The Clintons have left a trail of damaged, ruined, and destroyed lives and some believe many corpses in the wake of their climb to the top of the heap. But somehow, they seem to get away with it all. But since God's hold each and everyone of us accountable, the vengeance will be His come judgment day.

• Peter Piazza

02/27/2018 01:27 PM

Monica Lewinsky without a doubt was a victim here. You know the relationship was consensual what could she do this is the most powerful man in the world. Obviously she was very young and naive. I feel bad for that she had to suffer these many years and I find I pray that she has the Peace of the Lord Jesus in her heart

• Brian Jacobs

02/27/2018 01:24 PM

That whole thing still disgusts me. Hillary is just another me too or to me or to many what every they call them selves who tried to cover up the indiscretions and lies of men like her husband. All in the name of gaining power for her self.

• Nancy Calvert

02/27/2018 01:20 PM

Yours, Mike Huckabee, is always a well thought out, well spoken journey of words to the heart of the matter—but then yours is always from the Christian perspective, and that is the only one that truly matters in this life. Everyone today is a victim, but never of themselves or ,in this case, the correspondent. It is that dastardly political weapon of the Conservatives, Ken Starr. If I were friends with Monica and we were to meet for coffee my advice would be, “ Forget Bill, forget Hillary, forget Ken Starr. Get in front of this. Did anyone hold a gun to your head? No. Would you do it again if you could? Hopefully, no. Tell people that is who you were at the ripe old age of 22 and that your advice NOW is to never get that far away again from wisdom, God’s word or your conscience. Tell people you are no longer a victim, by God’s grace you are now a women who knows much about the evils of this world and that your current choices will prove that. Be the best person you can be, be a David. Find God, find forgiveness and find wisdom ...because YOU have a testimony. Use it to enrich your life and the lives of those who look to you. Glorify your God and all the ways he has blessed your life. Be an overcomer...and kiss your therapist goodbye. Lay claim to all the good your God would give you that men like Bill Clinton never could. You will become a highly prized and PROUD commodity! I promise—-because I have been where you are and that is what I did. #meincontrol

• becky

02/27/2018 01:19 PM

Vulnerable Victim, used by Clinton.
    Same song, 2nd verse, (always) a little louder and a little worse!

• Ollie Hilliard

02/27/2018 01:17 PM

It is atrocious Monica suffered so much and continues to do so. Bill Clinton lied under oath and yet he said, "I did not have sex with that woman." If it had have been a Republican President you know orange and blacks strips would what he would be wearing. By the way Mike I love the way your daughter Sarah handles herself. The apple does not fall far from the tree. God bless.

• Eileen Barayasarra

02/27/2018 01:09 PM

I don't think there has been a trustworthy Democrat since Harry Truman!

• Nancy Calvert

02/27/2018 01:08 PM

• Elaine Anwander

02/27/2018 01:06 PM

I always felt a little sorry for Ms. Lewinsky. She was an attractive, young, awestruck young woman working in the White House, which has to be awesome in itself. The president was an extremely powerful figure who used very poor judgment, gave in to his own lustful appetites, and she took the brunt of it. His denial was comical and yet, he was never prosecuted. Monica, on the other hand, will be forever persecuted for her immature mistake. I'm glad to hear she says she is healing. Good article, Governor Huckabee!

• Sondra A. Jones

02/27/2018 01:01 PM

I agree with you that the scandal should be called the "Bill Clinton Scandal". I doubt that he will receive what is due him in this life, but he surely will in the next life, if he doesn't have an encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ and respond positively to Him. Although I don't in any way condone Monica's behavior, I can empathize with her and realize her vulnerability.

• Ruth Coffey

02/27/2018 01:00 PM

Somehow, I don't think it is appropriate to continue to go down this road of continuing to judge something Bill Clinton and Monica Lewynski did years ago. I am a Christian first and an independent secondly. There is a more important message to get out to the people during these times and it is time to try to unite people instead of making anymore divisions in this country. I respect you very much and I know you are a Christian as well. We need to be at the task of bringing people to Christ and try to stay away from being a pharisee. We have all made serious mistakes and God will be the judge of all. I think we need to bury this one, even if Monica is bringing it up. She needs God too. Perhaps you might be the person to lead her to Christ. It might help the distress she is having. God Bless.

• Tamiko Anderson

02/27/2018 12:59 PM

There is a lot going on with this incident that is not being said, the truth whole truth nothing but the truth be told. That said, just because Bill Clinton was President and is a smart enough male, doesn't mean he has "street smart" all the time. Monica was playing the player not because she was smart enough but because she was joined by senior females, I like to call (SOW)'s Shell of a Woman. Hillary and Bill have an arranged marriage and Hillary was tired of being in the shadow of Bill's philanderer ways. That whole incident was more about Hillary than Bill. Nothing about Monica, she was a pawn.

• Lova Dobler

02/27/2018 12:47 PM

Thank you so much for helping to clear up the details on this issue. It was a terrible time for our country, to experience the disgrace and humiliation our president brought by his selfish and sickening actions while in office. I pray for Ms Lewinsky, that she will heal from this terrible experience, and find peace and comfort that only can come from knowing Christ as her Savior.

• Curtis L Biggar

02/27/2018 12:47 PM

How about the adultery question? How about the "is" "is" question that led to a lasting impression on young persons that oral sex was OK ?

• Mitchell Fillet

02/27/2018 12:43 PM

It truly is "beating a dead horse" to define the level of thought and professionalism with which "Hill and Bill" have tolerated and protected each other from public scrutiny and repercussions.
    But this push to arm teachers, ban the AR-15, etc. is not helpful and a waste of energy.
    Let's focus in the right direction.
    Despite the attractive notion of arming and training our national teacher corps, my experience in the U.S. Army says that there is a HUGE difference between a tight grouping in the head of a paper target and getting one bullet in some critical area of another human being.
    It is confusing and confounding to imagine our schools as armed camps.
    We have the technology to keep the "bad guys" out of the building. And, if necessary, we can keep them outside of the school grounds.
    Back East, we have a company called "Invisible Fence" that keeps your dog in your yard, no matter how aggressive and large they may be.
    We just need to do roughly the same thing with the end result of keeping the "bad guys" out.
    I have written an article about this...Let me know if you would like to read it..

• Alan Fitzgerald

02/27/2018 12:39 PM

I won't comment on Monica Lewinski because, in my opinion, she doesn't deserve any recognition! However, I read your article about the question to the governors! You got that one right! A VERY GOOD question which ought to be asked of every elected official at least once daily!
    Alan

• Randal T. Bauska

02/27/2018 12:37 PM

M.L. is still feeling threatened if she were to reveal anything negative about HRC. She may know where bodies are buried

• Patty Hager

02/27/2018 12:33 PM

Mr. Huckabee, your article was written in kindness toward Monica Lewinsky and despite the fact she was placed in the spotlight because of her behavior, she was a young woman who made a foolish mistake. Sitting presidents who choose to commit adultery should be held accountable. When they behave in the manner Bill Clinton and others have behaved it is so wrong! The Clintons tried to ruin this woman’s credibility. Bill Clinton misused his power as a governor and as a president and I for one have no respect for either him or his wife for their actions. Monica Lewinsky was a foolish and impulsive young intern who messed her life up big time and sadly it is her name that people remember while still putting the Clinton’s on a pedestal.

• Armon R. Tuberg

02/27/2018 12:21 PM

I fully agree with you Mike, Slick Willy used his position as President to intimidate Monica, and it is despicable. He professes to be a Christian, but actions speak louder than words, and he has shown no remorse for the mental anguish he visited upon Monica, as well as the other women he abused. It reminds me of an adage I once heard, it says "I don't understand why some people change churches, it doesn't matter which one they stay home from"! God Bless.

• Susanna Donovan

02/27/2018 12:21 PM

Monica is walking on eggs because she knows the threats and tactics of Hillary are ongoing and until Hillary is dead, her healing process will never be complete.

• Bob Couch

02/27/2018 12:20 PM

What a tragic, pitiful figure Monica Lewinski is. I pray that God sends her a messenger of His love and mercy and His saving, forgiving grace. As an act of my will, not my heart, I pray the same for Bill and Hillary before it's too late. God bless you and may God bless America again.

• Gary Rawlings

02/27/2018 12:19 PM

Nice article, Governor. One thing worth mentioning is the horrible effect all this stuff has had on our societal norms. I have a son that told me that many of his female peers might have resisted sexual advances but they willingly offered to give oral sex because that wasn’t considered to be “sexual relations” as defined by Bill Clinton. Sad state of affairs that our young people are living out Clinton’s lies.

• Nancy johnson

02/27/2018 12:18 PM

I always am so grateful for God who kept after me through all my bad decisions many years ago. And his forgiveness.
    Forgiveness and God's grace have given my a new life. Prayers for Monica.

• Lance Wonders

02/27/2018 12:16 PM

If I remember correctly from the book released about Starr's interviews and recommendations for prosecution, your overview misses two key components: (1) Monica's comments to friends as she prepared to go to Washington as an intern, to the effect that she would be taking her "knee-pads" with her (presumably indicating her intent to possibly be performing oral sex), and (2) her own direct testimony that Bill had promised her some potential future "relationship" later down the road. Clinton also himself reportedly told his wife, before everything was exposed, that he was spending so much time with Monica in order to "help her with her problems" -- as if he were "counseling" her, instead of having sexual encounters with her. My point, in part, is that she does not yet admit that she intended all along to seduce him, if the opportunity presented itself -- which of course it did -- and she perhaps doesn't blame Hillary because she (Monica) might well still be holding out hope for a "good outcome" somehow, after Hillary's own battles in the public eye. Her loyalty to Bill could possibly reflect her own secret day-dream that the two might yet divorce, and her own loyalty might yet be rewarded. Assigning "responsibility" to Bill for his past behavior is not the same thing as trashing him or outright rejecting him in public. Too bad the former president hasn't been totally honest himself yet on what was "possessing" him to do and say what he did and said, what inner rationalizations he was using during this period of time, and where his own relationship with Hillary was at, at the time, as well. He still does claim to be a born-again, believing Christian, in spite of his lying and his wretched behavior. He likely feels that he "owes" ongoing loyalty to Hillary still, for all of the things he put her through over the years, while she herself nevertheless stood by him in his own rise to power and influence and prominence. And of course there is now also the issue of the money being generated by the Clinton Foundation. But at the end of the day, one wonders if Hillary, not Bill, will turn out to having been the primary "driving force" behind the two. That does not excuse his own crimes -- or sins!!! -- but perhaps it does make this whole sordid situation more understandable in the end....

• Catherine O’Connell

02/27/2018 12:14 PM

Very good article, thank you.

• Saralee

02/27/2018 12:05 PM

Monica was young and innocent and although she feels she was partly to blame, she is not. She was taken advantage of by a scheming, narcissistic, egotistical, powerful man. HE is the only person to be blamed here. AND, as for Hillary? I've said this many times. I lost all respect for this "supposed" intelligent woman who enabled, condoned and blamed all of his victims, just so she could stay married to a guy whom she thought would get her a ticket to the Presidency. That is cold and calculating. It was only right that she lost the Presidency . . . twice. It is unfortunate that Monica has had to endure this "shame" but one can only hope that years after she can look at it with the wisdom of maturity. She stays a victim only as long as she allows that unfortunate experience to dictate how she lives her life.

Monica Lewinsky, 20 years later

February 27, 2018

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

A Tale Of Two Trump Voters

• Lura Sheppard

02/27/2018 02:05 PM

• Almira Sant

02/27/2018 01:54 PM

women in NY. No mention in the media WHY?

• Almira Sant

02/27/2018 01:53 PM

women in NY. No mention in the media WHY?

• Robbie Mize

• Brian Jacobs

02/27/2018 01:24 PM

• Nancy Calvert

02/27/2018 01:20 PM

• becky

02/27/2018 01:19 PM

Vulnerable Victim, used by Clinton.
    Same song, 2nd verse, (always) a little louder and a little worse!

• Ollie Hilliard

02/27/2018 01:17 PM

• Eileen Barayasarra

02/27/2018 01:09 PM

I don't think there has been a trustworthy Democrat since Harry Truman!

• Nancy Calvert

• Lova Dobler

02/27/2018 12:47 PM

• Curtis L Biggar

02/27/2018 12:47 PM

• Mitchell Fillet

02/27/2018 12:43 PM

Let's focus in the right direction.
    It is confusing and confounding to imagine our schools as armed camps.

• Alan Fitzgerald

• Bob Couch

02/27/2018 12:20 PM

• Gary Rawlings

02/27/2018 12:19 PM

• Nancy johnson

02/27/2018 12:18 PM

Forgiveness and God's grace have given my a new life. Prayers for Monica.

• Lance Wonders

02/27/2018 12:16 PM

• Catherine O’Connell

02/27/2018 12:14 PM

Very good article, thank you.

• Saralee

02/27/2018 12:05 PM

Monica Lewinsky, 20 years later

February 27, 2018

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

A Tale Of Two Trump Voters

• Lura Sheppard

02/27/2018 02:05 PM

• Almira Sant

02/27/2018 01:54 PM

women in NY. No mention in the media WHY?

• Almira Sant

02/27/2018 01:53 PM

women in NY. No mention in the media WHY?

• Robbie Mize

• Brian Jacobs

02/27/2018 01:24 PM

• Nancy Calvert

02/27/2018 01:20 PM

• becky

02/27/2018 01:19 PM

Vulnerable Victim, used by Clinton.
    Same song, 2nd verse, (always) a little louder and a little worse!

• Ollie Hilliard

02/27/2018 01:17 PM

• Eileen Barayasarra

02/27/2018 01:09 PM

I don't think there has been a trustworthy Democrat since Harry Truman!

• Nancy Calvert

• Lova Dobler

02/27/2018 12:47 PM

• Curtis L Biggar

02/27/2018 12:47 PM

• Mitchell Fillet

02/27/2018 12:43 PM

Let's focus in the right direction.
    It is confusing and confounding to imagine our schools as armed camps.

• Alan Fitzgerald

• Bob Couch

02/27/2018 12:20 PM

• Gary Rawlings

02/27/2018 12:19 PM

• Nancy johnson

02/27/2018 12:18 PM

Forgiveness and God's grace have given my a new life. Prayers for Monica.

• Lance Wonders

02/27/2018 12:16 PM

• Catherine O’Connell

02/27/2018 12:14 PM

Very good article, thank you.

• Saralee