The media outdid themselves this week

April 26, 2020 |

Friday, much of the media outdid themselves in their hair-on-fire anti-Trump hysterics, giving us a double dose of Trump Derangement Syndrome idiocy. First, by claiming that President Trump told people to inject Lysol to kill the virus. No, he did not.

They went so bat-poop crazy over that one that some of them were even calling it “Lysolgate.” Here's a great primer in how not to write a headline.

But wait: what about “Labradoodle-gate?” I assume that’s the name they’ll give to the non-scandal arising from Thursday another false claim that Brian Harrison, whom Trump appointed as chief of staff at the Department of Health and Human Services, is heading up HHS’s coronavirus response and he's just a “labradoodle breeder” from Dallas. No, he’s not handling HHS' virus response. Dog breeding is his family business, but as the Dallas Morning News, hardly a Trump-supporting paper, reports, he’s a serious public servant who’s “served three Administrations in high level posts at HHS, the White House and the Pentagon.”

The media’s idiotic overreactions to everything Trump says and does, and their apparent inability to do even the most basic research before reporting a story, have become so wearying that they’re no longer even worth correcting, scolding or even talking about. Adults are dealing with real problems now. Were it in my power, I would send the entire lot of these hyperactive brats to their rooms without supper until they learned how to behave themselves.

In the meantime, I got to thinking what the history books might be like if we’d had this same type of media with the same level of frenzied partisan hatred and immature stupidity covering previous Presidents…

FDR: “We have nothing to fear but fear itself!”

MSNBC: “FDR now claims that we should actually fear ‘fear’ itself! Is he attempting to gin up fear purely for political advantage? Or has he become so disconnected from reality, he believes that an abstract concept is personally threatening him? We’ll have a panel of psychiatrists who’ve never met him but hate him nonetheless explain why we might have to invoke the 25th Amendment and remove him from office over his latest insane comment.”

Teddy Roosevelt: “Speak softly and carry a big stick.”

CNN: “Roosevelt has just openly endorsed clubbing other world leaders with a big stick! We’ll have a panel of experts explain why this demonstrates that he is a childish, unhinged, crazy, war-like authoritarian who needs to be removed from office immediately.”

Abraham Lincoln: “Four-score and seven years ago…”

Harrisburg Patriot & Union newspaper: “We pass over the silly remarks of the President. For the credit of the nation, we are willing that the veil of oblivion shall be dropped over them and that they shall be no more repeated or thought of.”

Actually, that last quote was what a reporter actually wrote about Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address, now considered one of the greatest speeches in US history. In his time, Lincoln was also called dishonest, an “unshapely man,” a yahoo, a barbarian, a gorilla and an idiot.

At least the Harrisburg newspaper finally retracted its pan of the Gettysburg Address on its 150th anniversary. Wonder how long it will take the media to admit that, in fact, Trump was not an idiot, but quite a few of the people covering him were.

• Janet Underwood

04/26/2020 04:00 PM

It appears that my comments are being blocked. May I ask why? Thank you.

• Karen Allen

04/26/2020 03:19 PM

the media is not fair to Trump at all. They are a disgrace to watch and hear. FOX is the only one that has been truthful

• Jan Lupia

04/26/2020 03:02 PM

Oh what joy to watch the Sean Hannity show with YOU, Governor!!! You are amazing! Art and I catch your show on TBN as often as possible, however, you on FOX News WAS THE BEST! If only there had been advance notice, the ratings would have been through the roof and certainly higher than what Sean brags his are! LOLOL No SERIOUSLY! Hope they consider giving you a primetime gig someday! Blessings immeasurable to you, Janet and all the family! Jan P.S. thank you for the beautiful scriptures and pictures.

• Del Vanderbeek

04/26/2020 03:00 PM

Why do the media and the democrats keep getting away with this hatred, lies and dishonesty all of the time? Why can’t it be stopped? Surely something can be done to make them pay for all of this.

• Sue Rogers

04/26/2020 02:43 PM

Mike, please let our dear President know there are alot of us that love him and his family, and we are so thankful he is our President, hang in there, keep your chin up, and u did need a break from the updates, PLUS, make sure you are eating good food to keep yourself healthy!!!

• John Michael Callahan

04/26/2020 02:20 PM

And the Obamas are Leading the Charge ! Right behind them are Chuck Schumer, Queen Nancy, Maxine Waters, Adam Schiff and, of course, the TOTALLY MISinformed Sleepie Joe Biden.

• Glen Porterfield

04/26/2020 02:12 PM

All liberals are power hungry and stupid. They're also soulless.

• Robert McFate

04/26/2020 01:28 PM

If it is up to the media their faults will never be recorded!

• Don & Sue Powers

04/26/2020 12:59 PM

I haven’t watched an actual newscast in years, and the news is non- existent as far as factual news goes, it is news gossip brought by juvenile wannabe talk show hosts that build themselves up into stars. If my President had not gotten elected they would still be blaming him for causing everything because HE RAN! Arrogant self grandisment on every msm channel! The only channel we watch is FOX and we are sparing as to the amount of time we watch of it?? Years ago we would watch ABC with Peter Jennings who gave the NEWS, I believe and years before would tune into Walter Cronkite, who was a true NEWSMAN. And I just remember thinking as a much younger person, newsmen had to be honest because they had a grave responsibility, not anymore , except for the men and women on FOX, and even on that news network, a few are questionable???? but very few??

• Clark L Dickerson

04/26/2020 12:55 PM

I agree with you Governor, but the problem is that so many people watch and read such dribble and stupidity and that's all they know. This is a serious "full court press" by the media to make enough people so ignorant of the facts that President Trump loses in 2020. And the sad thing for all of us is that they won't even realize what a terrible thing they have done until they too are mired in the economic and social "mud bath" of a Biden administration.

• Gretchen Grant

04/26/2020 12:48 PM

Are there any thinking for themselves people watching the media anymore? I know I turned it off many many months ago. The media hysteria over this virus is mind numbing. Every product advertised on TV is getting in on the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus. We the American people have been duped into giving up our lives so that the One World Order can begin turning us into Zombies.

• Mark Mittelstaedt

04/26/2020 12:48 PM

Read the article by Jim Yong Kim ( President of Dartmouth / World Bank / other orgs ) in the New Yorker. He outlines how China, South Korea, etc. have already brought the virus to heel - and we're not doing most of what he outlines. In the meantime, tell me where I can get antiviral soaps, lotions, sprays, inhalers, etc. - if Mr. Trump can get the private sector moving on things like ventilators, the above are chip shots by comparison ;-|

• Patti Pierce

04/26/2020 12:40 PM

Dear Mike,
    I read your newsletter etc. all of the time. I really look forward to them!!! You are one person I feel is genuine and trustworthy. I was so angry about the Lysol business! I listened to what our President said and I really feel like I know what he meant. This brings me to something I read. You may think this is simplistic and that I’m crazy, but I have to tell someone. I read an article about the Spanish Flu. I think it was on Fox. Anyway the article said that there was a family during the Spanish Flu that medicated it with wisky and they survived. Again maybe this is simplistic, but if like Trump says alcohol can kill this covid19 on surfaces (and quickly), maybe drinking some alcohol could help like the article said. I know you can make hand sanitizer from grain alcohol. I would be interested in seeing some alcoholics tested for coved 19. Like I said maybe I am crazy. Please tell Sarah I miss her. I watch her every chance I get when she is a guest on a show. And by the way you were GREAT as guest host on Hannity! I like Sean, but I love you! Prayers to you and your family! Take Care!

• Dot Whitley

04/26/2020 12:39 PM

I don't see the media we have at this time ever admitting that Trump wasn't an idiot after all. All of them must be either related in some way or, at least they must be very best friends. It could be that they learned to think the way they do from attending the same liberal college. They might have had a better chance at seeing clearly if they had skipped college, and just picked water melons or something. Hard work takes the mind off of nonsense.

Dot Whitley

• Sandra Groover

04/26/2020 12:24 PM

Press doesn't need to be at the briefings. The American people can watch them for themselves on TV. We don't need the Press to "interpret" what the President says. We Deplorables aren't stupid. Governor, I enjoyed having you sit in for Hannity Friday night. You are an excellent interviewer who doesn't try to talk over the guest. I like a person who actually listens. I realize you are always on a time limit on shows like that, but maybe fewer guests and more time for expressing views would be a good thing. Guess that's why I enjoy"Uncommon Knowledge" with Peter Robinson - one guest, good discussion of issues. Your show was good last night. Always like Max Lacado, and Clint Black was great too (so was the bass player).

• Floyd A Unger

04/26/2020 12:16 PM

• Jerry Korba

04/26/2020 12:03 PM

Great seeing Clint Black on your show last nite the guy is really good. The MSM is an obsolete bunch of hacks that brings to life how hate filled people live their lives. A year ago I spoke about our trip by car from Florida to Minnesota on our way back we stopped visited the sites and off road venues I found people to be full of cheer and respect helpfulness from the roadside vegetable stands to the plantations and people just walking around Nashville exciting place maybe libations brought out the happiness but what a fun place America is full of greatness and just plain good, but the MSM covers all of it with Hate, deceit, envy, the MSM prefers indignant behavior to quality human nature. America is loaded with Great personalities from every part of our society and the Media isn't part of it. Its a trait these miserable people can not over come, outcasted by the decent people the MSM strikes back with malice, I am glad that people are turning away from the MSM like I have, great nations don't hate Great nations care and are generous our Country is the generous nation on the planet speaking of the planet the MSM should return to a planet that have the Apes as its rulers, No TV No Internet No radio thats were they need to be the world will be a nicer place America will be better without the MSM.

• Dusty

04/26/2020 12:00 PM

News today Sunday most is attacking almost everything that the President has done ? ABC no other side on the panel today only attack dogs. When we should be standing together per no one knows what this is or what to do ? See a San Fran mayor stand up for all the Chinese we let back in were they quarantined? Did they know of this virus? did not hear any of this. Heard the Gov Newsom awhile back say they had chartered flights of Asians come back in? No we are not racist to the Chinese we know it is their GOVT? then we get the other side on the East coast thousands cam ein from Europe over a month ago flight in several states but ck Temp no not all said they go checked where did they all go? Now we are going to fact ck NOW a little late. OPEN the gates to business let the chips fall, keep us old folks away and those not healthy until we have a vaccine. See a few entertainers Tom Hanks made it and his wife, Cuomo an dhis wife, Geroge Step and Ali ? I had two who supposedly had the flu super sick one almost in the hospital. Never tested she had the flu shot. One my family had FLU B super sick? People cannot buy food, pay their rent or mtg. on and on. So get sick and move on. I had many years ago the Asian flu sick as a dog for almost a month had a family. No hospital. See the ages in Italy, Germany, Spain in S Korea and then decide who can survive. Heard a 5 mo old passed the other day so sad to hear had a heart defect and were worried . Flu kills babies and kids if not protected? Lost 36,000 last year US to flu WHY did they not get the shot $20? World figures were about 250,000 if correct per CDC? Year before even more to flu in US? Ga is open slowly. Ck on our Grocery, truckers across the US, Walmart and Target those still open how many have gotten the virus. My Walmart is losing employees in Ga mgr said they are afraid to work? Also is this per many know they can collect now per the Fed Govt $600 wk more then they make? States may run out of retirement funds so open the GATES and lets see what we can do to prevent and help? Get Klobachar saying her state not enough vents WHAT? We just sent extras overseas? Stop the game and the farmers not being taken care of per this President. Lie and swear to it? Biden is in dementia. Sad. Now we just pray and we old folks we know about our time. Do not take down the younger and their families get to work?

• Karl Johnson

04/26/2020 11:56 AM

Leave it to the MSM to continue a false narrative, since they specialize in FAKE "NEWS" and only provide commentary commensurate with their collective IQ.

• Steve Hillenberg

04/26/2020 11:51 AM

I saw nothing wrong with the President's statements, but they were NOT sarcastic in tone.

• KeoniBoy

04/26/2020 11:42 AM

Re the fakestream media colicky tots: "Liar, liar, hair on fire." They inhabit not newsrooms but playpens to throw their self-indulgent temper tantrums, borne of frustration out of not getting their selfish, self-centered, self-absorbed narcissistic ways. Personally, we find watching paint dry far more illuminating. ;-))

• Susan Pappas

04/26/2020 11:39 AM

It’s time the fake news was held accountable and sued for printing their lies.

• janet pingston

04/26/2020 11:38 AM

Dp not give up. Keep calling out the fake news. I know it can be personally draining- but the alternative is to return power to the people who think they are smarter than the citizens that plants seeds for a living. (which of course keeps the fake news feed) . as awful as this pandemic is. China's true purpose has been revealed to the world. Do we want a world government that has no respect for human life ?

The closer the election is - the more the fake media will be. By the time October is here. There is going to be a lot of screaming reporters. Insisiting there way is the true way. Lets replace the word "true" with "power". Because that bottom line is what it is all about.

• Mary Britton

04/26/2020 11:30 AM

I’m just sorry for you that it is part of your job to listen to their trash. I don’t even know who is on those liberal channels anymore because I haven’t listened to them in years ( other than when Fox puts some excerpt on from them, and then I sometimes shut it off during the excerpt because I just can’t stand their hypocrisy and bald—faced lies!).

• WALTER MAUDE

04/26/2020 11:25 AM

At least 19th century citizens had enough common sense that when a local "journalist" went off the rails they smashed his press and tarred and feathered him. What do you think the 21st century equivalent of tarring and feathering might be?

The media outdid themselves this week

April 26, 2020 |

FDR: “We have nothing to fear but fear itself!”

Teddy Roosevelt: “Speak softly and carry a big stick.”

Abraham Lincoln: “Four-score and seven years ago…”

• Janet Underwood

04/26/2020 04:00 PM

It appears that my comments are being blocked. May I ask why? Thank you.

• Karen Allen

04/26/2020 03:19 PM

• Jan Lupia

04/26/2020 03:02 PM

• Del Vanderbeek

04/26/2020 03:00 PM

• Sue Rogers

04/26/2020 02:43 PM

• John Michael Callahan

04/26/2020 02:20 PM

• Glen Porterfield

04/26/2020 02:12 PM

All liberals are power hungry and stupid. They're also soulless.

• Robert McFate

04/26/2020 01:28 PM

If it is up to the media their faults will never be recorded!

• Don & Sue Powers

• Steve Hillenberg

04/26/2020 11:51 AM

• KeoniBoy

04/26/2020 11:42 AM

• Susan Pappas

04/26/2020 11:39 AM

It’s time the fake news was held accountable and sued for printing their lies.

• janet pingston

04/26/2020 11:38 AM

• Mary Britton

04/26/2020 11:30 AM

• WALTER MAUDE

04/26/2020 11:25 AM

The media outdid themselves this week

April 26, 2020 |

FDR: “We have nothing to fear but fear itself!”

Teddy Roosevelt: “Speak softly and carry a big stick.”

Abraham Lincoln: “Four-score and seven years ago…”

• Janet Underwood

04/26/2020 04:00 PM

It appears that my comments are being blocked. May I ask why? Thank you.

• Karen Allen

04/26/2020 03:19 PM

• Jan Lupia

04/26/2020 03:02 PM

• Del Vanderbeek

04/26/2020 03:00 PM

• Sue Rogers

04/26/2020 02:43 PM

• John Michael Callahan

04/26/2020 02:20 PM

• Glen Porterfield

04/26/2020 02:12 PM

All liberals are power hungry and stupid. They're also soulless.

• Robert McFate

04/26/2020 01:28 PM

If it is up to the media their faults will never be recorded!

• Don & Sue Powers

• Steve Hillenberg

04/26/2020 11:51 AM

• KeoniBoy

04/26/2020 11:42 AM

• Susan Pappas

04/26/2020 11:39 AM

It’s time the fake news was held accountable and sued for printing their lies.

• janet pingston