Christianity Today is lying to its readers

December 21, 2019 |

I’ve long noticed that about the only time the mainstream media give positive coverage anymore to people of faith is when they can find someone who will attack other people of faith, or who will take the leftist side in a political issue. So naturally, when the magazine Christianity Today, which was founded by the Rev. Billy Graham, published an editorial endorsing the impeachment and removal of President Trump, that got all kinds of media coverage.  The editor even cited Graham’s name.

That fired up the Rev. Franklin Graham, who wrote: “Yes, my father Billy Graham founded Christianity Today; but no, he would not agree with their opinion piece. In fact, he would be very disappointed.” He said Christianity Today had moved to the left and “now represents the elitist liberal wing of evangelicalism.” He pointed out that no Republicans, many of whom are strong Christians, were convinced by the “evidence,” and neither were a couple of Democrats. He called the impeachment vote “politically motivated, 100% partisan,” and said Trump has been a pro-life champion and a staunch defender of religious freedom.

He also revealed for the first time that his late father voted for Trump, believing him to be “the man for this hour in history for our nation.”

Now, I feel I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you the reason that Christianity Today gave for demanding Trump’s removal, so I will quote their editorial verbatim:

“But the facts in this instance are unambiguous: The president of the United States attempted to use his political power to coerce a foreign leader to harass and discredit one of the president’s political opponents. That is not only a violation of the Constitution; more importantly, it is profoundly immoral.”

My response: Weeks of the most partisan, rigged proceedings imaginable produced no evidence that Trump did that, beyond second- and third-hand hearsay.  All of the principals (including the Ukrainian President Trump was allegedly pressuring) denied it. None of the alleged “witnesses” actually witnessed anything.  The one person who claimed it was definitely true (and who turned out to be the poisoned well that was the source of all the other hearsay) folded like a garage sale card table under questioning, admitting that the one time he talked to Trump, Trump said the exact opposite and denied that he wanted any quid pro quo.

By claiming that the “facts are unambiguous” that Trump is guilty, Christianity Today is plainly lying to its readers. I find that to be profoundly immoral. Maybe they should drop the politics and get back to reading the Bible. If so, they might stumble across a line in Exodus that most of us know as the Eighth Commandment:

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."

• Donns F Cather

12/24/2019 09:31 AM

Christianity Today is wrong ad is deceiving many people who may be new to their faith in Jesus and those standing between the lines. Pray for our Father to show us a way to stop these lies!!!!

• Nancy Sawning

12/24/2019 04:16 AM

When I first read this story on Facebook, the immediate response from my spirit was that this is a demonic assault to divide Christians because Evangelicals so strongly support President Trump. I am encouraged to discover that you, Franklin Graham & my favorite commentators on Fox News have also denounced Christianity Today's obvious departure from Biblical standards. I pray that true followers of Christ will not be deceived by ongoing demonic plots to confuse and divide The Church of Christ in these turbulent times.

• JUANA F POLONSKI

12/24/2019 01:51 AM

Get lost Christianity Today!!! You are manipulating the truth. Your agenda seams darkest.

• Ken Miller

12/23/2019 11:42 PM

Stick to religion.

• Danny Draper

12/23/2019 10:23 PM

Greetings from Little Rock Arkansas Governor. I am afraid that I will have to drop my subscription to 'Christianity Today' based on the left-wing stance they had decided to take. They have been drifting in that direction for a while now and I have become more and more lest interested in the stories they publish. Keep up the good work with the newsletters and with your TV program.

• Roberta Kass

12/23/2019 08:52 PM

Wake up Mike! How can you endorse a man who can say such horrid things to widows and the members of congress that he should be working with. He’s acting like a petulant child. You know better, shame on all of you!!

• Shirley Wagner

12/23/2019 04:53 PM

Agree with your comment 100%. Hope people that are subscribers to Christianity Today, will cancel their subscriptions. I am very upset that they even have the name “Christianity” as the name of their newspaper. Living in very sad times.

• Donna Malone

12/23/2019 03:19 PM

Thank you so much for clarifying. I do not read this magazine but totally disagreed when I heard about this article on the news.

• Edward Mathews

12/23/2019 03:15 PM

Most people have a great desire to be taken seriously. Even if it means that they have to lie to get it done. Seems like this publication has gone in that direction.

• John Killion

12/23/2019 02:20 PM

Christianity Today has evidently been hijacked by the hirelings/hypocrites/wolves in sheep’s clothing that sacred scripture warned us about in the last days. They’ve lost all credibility and relevance

• Donna Marvin

12/23/2019 02:16 PM

This is shocking!
    Thanks for pointing out this disturbing information. It has -sadly - altered my viewpoint about Christianity Today.

• Jim Scheid

12/23/2019 12:10 PM

I agree with you, Mike, and with Franklin Graham. I even spoke about all this with soime of my brothers & sisters in Christ at our church and those I saw at a Christmas program last night and they agree with Franklin also.
    Thanks for your articles

• SUSAN DURHAM

12/23/2019 11:51 AM

I know people are very critical of the President "punching" back when He feels he is being attacked. The latest controversy, over what he said concerning the late Congressman at the rally in Florida, has caused some evangelicals to condemn him saying Jesus would never do that. The Bible does say to turn the other cheek. I know the President does not have enough "cheeks" to endure all that's being done to him and said about him. Maybe they should remember what the Bible says about "He who is without sin." I just pray he can endure. I know he never envisioned what he would have to live through. He has already helped the country so much without any help from Congress.

• Bonnie Miller

12/23/2019 11:16 AM

I used to love that publication, & thought about resubscribing. Now that it's gone the way of God's enemies, forget it! Stick to the Bible alone, stick to ministers who actually read, study, research, & teach the Bible alone, and you will know all you need for your next life.

• TC

12/23/2019 10:37 AM

I may be one of the few disagreeing voices on your opinion. I find two faults with it:

1) Billy Graham may have voted for Trump, but it does not mean that he would've supported Trump. I know people who voted for Trump because he wasn't Hillary, and I know people who voted for Hillary because she wasn't Trump. If Hillary had been elected, some of the people who voted for her would not have supported her actions either. I suspect that Billy voted for Trump out of a sense of duty to vote and had no good alternative; however, he would not have supported his moral character, his outright bullying or his disrespect for human life as he has so treated the immigrants.

2) You can claim that CT lied, and it is possible that in this opinion piece, some facts were misrepresented. However, Trump has lied far more often than CT and fails to admit when he is wrong. Also, to quote such a verse is a bit rich coming from a politician. Additionally, within the 10 commandments, we are called not to commit adultery, which Trump allegedly has done numerous times. He has stolen from others and cheated people for his own gain. According to the Old Testament, he should be stoned for adultery and pay retributions to those whom he stole from. He has failed to humble himself and to turn the other cheek.

He may have done some "good" for the country but at what cost? The evangelicals have sold their witness to a wolf. Globally, the U.S. has become a laughing stock and untrustworthy. People shy away from those who claim to be Christians because of the damage caused by the evangelicals who have shown that they lack compassion. Several of the societal problems in the U.S. have been caused by so-called Christians, and it saddens me that their arrogance and brashness has wounded the Body of Christ as the bow to the idol of the almighty dollar.

Woe to you, O Pharisees, for you have received your reward in full.

• Delwin Hyatt

12/23/2019 10:24 AM

now lets watch their subscribers leave them like RATS leaving a sinking ship.

• Gordon Cooper

12/23/2019 08:50 AM

When I was younger, I thought that I'd never see the following so plainly as I see it happening now. ...in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power... I'm so happy and grateful for people like you and our president.

• Tim Munoz

12/23/2019 07:33 AM

Good word. Except you missed it by one. It’s the ninth commandment that calls us not to lie. The eighth is about stealing.

• Wallace Hoffman

12/23/2019 06:59 AM

The Democrats could find no evidence of President Trump's misdeeds after almost three years of intense hatred against his pro-life policies the 22-month Mueller investigation, etc.). They were desperate to find some slight excuse to impeach him that they developed the Ukraine strategy to prevent his re-election. They were so desperate that they manufactured a false narrative, bamboozled the media, and misled the public. This is proved in Chapter 6 of my book, cut it takes longer to get the truth in print.

• Christine Pahner

12/23/2019 06:46 AM

Thank Gov. Huckabee. I can’t remember the last time I read a Christianity Today, but I probably won’t ever read one again.

• Vicky Jane Harmer

12/23/2019 06:33 AM

Unbelievable....and sad. Thank you Franklin Graham for setting the record straight. Prayers for all. ??

• Ronda Wells

12/23/2019 05:52 AM

Right on the nose, Governor! I felt the CT content was moving left the last few months. Canceled my subscription ASAP after I read the editorial. Sad.

• Margaret Henson

12/23/2019 05:31 AM

It is a sad day when a magazine dubbed Christianity Today can speak and write such lies and mislead so many people. Also, it is a shame to see a lovely magazine that had its beginning by a true "Man of God", Reverend Billy Graham that encouraged so many of us to be Christ followers. We truly see the "devil" at work in this forked-tongued man and I pray for conviction upon him that won't let up until he repents of his lies and misleading people down the wrong path.

• Jeanetta Palmer

12/23/2019 05:16 AM

I stand with Franklin Graham. A lot of Christian organizations are not following the word of God or reading their Bibles.

• Bob Bartlett

12/23/2019 04:58 AM

Christianity Today needs to dump these two and print a PUBLIC RETRACTION and STATE TOTAL SUPPORT FOR PRESIDENT DONALD J TRUMP IMMEDIATELY!

Christianity Today is lying to its readers

December 21, 2019 |

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."

• Donns F Cather

• SUSAN DURHAM

12/23/2019 11:51 AM

• Bonnie Miller

12/23/2019 11:16 AM

• TC

12/23/2019 10:37 AM

Woe to you, O Pharisees, for you have received your reward in full.

• Delwin Hyatt

12/23/2019 10:24 AM

now lets watch their subscribers leave them like RATS leaving a sinking ship.

• Gordon Cooper

• Jeanetta Palmer

12/23/2019 05:16 AM

• Bob Bartlett

12/23/2019 04:58 AM

Christianity Today is lying to its readers

December 21, 2019 |

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."

• Donns F Cather

• SUSAN DURHAM

12/23/2019 11:51 AM

• Bonnie Miller

12/23/2019 11:16 AM

• TC

12/23/2019 10:37 AM

Woe to you, O Pharisees, for you have received your reward in full.

• Delwin Hyatt

12/23/2019 10:24 AM

now lets watch their subscribers leave them like RATS leaving a sinking ship.

• Gordon Cooper