April 12, 2019

Michael Avenatti might not have liked it when I began routinely identifying him as “sleazy lawyer Michael Avenatti,” but it now appears that I may owe an apology…to sleazy lawyers.  I don’t want them to sue me for defamation for associating them with Michael Avenatti.

Even with the herculean effort required to grant him a presumption of innocence, it’s getting harder with each passing day to keep a straight face when he claims he’s a victim of politicized prosecutors out to get him for attacking President Trump.  If so, there must be a lot of Trump-voting prosecutors in unlikely places.  First, Avanatti was indicted in New York for allegedly trying to extort $25 million from Nike.  Then he was indicted in California on wire and bank fraud charges for allegedly misappropriating a client’s legal settlement for himself.

And now, also in California federal court, the Justice Department has filed a 36-count grand jury indictment against him for fraud, perjury, failure to pay taxes, embezzlement and other financial crimes.  Prosecutors say he was running a Bernie Madoff-style house of cards, lying to clients about not receiving about $12 million worth of legal settlements when he’d actually taken them himself and was using them to pay other clients and to fund his lavish lifestyle and investments, including a racing team, a coffee house chain and a private jet.

One of the accusations is particularly vile: that Avenatti embezzled a $4 million settlement from a paralyzed client, didn’t tell him he had the money, and gave the destitute man only a little cash here and there to cover some overdue bills. You’d have to hold a limbo contest for worms in a coal mine to get any lower than that.

Avenatti declared all the charges “bogus nonsense” meant to sideline him and tweeted that he will plead “NOT GUILTY.”  He’ll need the all-caps, since these latest charges alone carry a combined maximum penalty of 335 years in prison.  As Fox News legal analyst Gregg Jarrett noted, if the feds can prove even a fraction of them, then Avenatti will be trading his Armani suits for an orange jumpsuit.

But while the media are concentrating on the lurid charges, let’s not let them off the hook.  The other part of this story that deserves notice is that for over a year, liberal news channels gave this man a national platform.  His willingness to savage President Trump on camera was all it took for them to present him to Americans as not merely a reputable, credible commentator but a serious potential presidential candidate!  An analysis by the Media Research Center found that he made 254 TV appearances (including 121 on CNN and 108 on MSNBC), free airtime valued by the Washington Free Beacon as being worth $175 million.

Is it now safe to add the glorification of Michael Avenatti to the growing list of major stories that the “professional” mainstream news media got spectacularly wrong?  If you listened to all their combined journalistic fire power, you believed that Trump couldn’t possibly win the Presidency; when he did, it was because he colluded with the Russians to rig the election; and the cure for that might be to elect that crusader for justice, Michael Avenatti, to the White House.

Over that same time period, I predicted confidently that Trump would win, explained that “Russian collusion” was a delusion concocted to excuse voters rejecting Hillary Clinton, and told you Avenatti was a sleazy lawyer.

So why would anyone subscribe to the New York Times when my newsletter is free?

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• joseph orsini PhD

04/12/2019 11:54 AM

When will we see computation of the COSTS of ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION to city, state and national taxpayers?

• Marilyn Sue Green

04/12/2019 11:53 AM

Stay strong. You are a breath of clear air in a dust storm.
    You are appreciated.

• CINDY A. BARACH

04/12/2019 11:43 AM

WELL YOU HIT THAT NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD!!! AGAIN! LOL!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE READING YOUR NEWSLETTER!! THANKS MIKE :)

• Rose Sanderson

04/12/2019 11:36 AM

Keep up the good work. Together you and Sarah make America great.

• Ronald Wasserman

04/12/2019 11:24 AM

Attorney Avenatti must live in a strange universe, thinking that membership in the bar gives him special license. He didn’t try to shake down the Kaddidlehopper Jockstrap Company of Jackass Hills, New Jersey, he went after Nike. What was he thinking? The real issue for the public is, how does a young man go through college, law school and become a member of the legal profession while allegedly displaying sociopathic tendencies. It has ramifications for us all.

• Anders Moller

04/12/2019 11:23 AM

Now we need to get the rest of the sleazy and corrupt democ-RATS

• Connie Edwards

04/12/2019 11:17 AM

Why indeed, Mr. Huckabee!! You are my go-to source for the honest and true news. I also voted for you in the primaries when you ran for president. Keep up the good work!!!

• Lisa Kowalsky

04/12/2019 11:15 AM

Love, love, love reading all of your articles & writings! You always make me laugh! I also love watching your TV show! My parents & I loved hearing you speak when you came to my hometown, Dothan, AL & we all voted for you for president! Thank you for your boldness & always speaking truth! Your daughter of course is as amazing as you are in her relentless efforts to support, help & defend our great President! May our God continue to richly bless you & your family!

• Suzanne Gibbs

04/12/2019 11:13 AM

Good morning..........Thank you for giving us the truth every day.
    If I missed it in the article I'm sorry but no one seems to be talking about Avenetti's claim of "presumption of innocence"..........Hello?? Does no one remember the Justice Kavanaugh debacle? No one on the Left gave Kavanaugh a presumtion of innocence....Nor do they ever give President Trump any slack. The hypocracy is appalling. I'm sick to death of the "fake News" and the Democratic{?} Party.
    Suzanne

• Michael Batchelor

04/12/2019 11:10 AM

> So why would anyone subscribe to the New York Times when my newsletter is free?

I read your newsletter, but I do also read the New York Times Cooking Section. It's pretty good. I don't bother with the main paper because I stopped reading fairy tales when my daughter learned to read herself.

Quite frankly, the loss of a reasonable free press is terrifying to me. And that's exactly where we are in America today. The "mainstream media" not only has a political agenda, but it has a completely open and visible political agenda. That, coupled with the loss of educating children in critical thinking skills is a bad, bad road for us to go down. Good thing I'm too old to see the collapse. I won't have to cry.

• Robert Wrucke

04/12/2019 10:39 AM

Keep up the good work Mike!

April 12, 2019

So why would anyone subscribe to the New York Times when my newsletter is free?

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• joseph orsini PhD

04/12/2019 11:54 AM

• Marilyn Sue Green

04/12/2019 11:53 AM

Stay strong. You are a breath of clear air in a dust storm.
    You are appreciated.

• CINDY A. BARACH

04/12/2019 11:43 AM

• Rose Sanderson

04/12/2019 11:36 AM

Keep up the good work. Together you and Sarah make America great.

• Ronald Wasserman

04/12/2019 11:24 AM

• Anders Moller

04/12/2019 11:23 AM

Now we need to get the rest of the sleazy and corrupt democ-RATS

• Connie Edwards

04/12/2019 11:17 AM

• Lisa Kowalsky

04/12/2019 11:15 AM

• Suzanne Gibbs

04/12/2019 11:13 AM

Good morning..........Thank you for giving us the truth every day.
    Suzanne

• Michael Batchelor

04/12/2019 11:10 AM

• Robert Wrucke

04/12/2019 10:39 AM

Keep up the good work Mike!