December 13, 2017

Republicans in Alabama voted their consciences yesterday, and the result is that, for the first time in 25 years, Alabama has a Democrat in a Republican Senate seat that should have been the safest safe space this side of UC-Berkeley.

Despite the crowing from the media and the national party, this doesn’t represent any great realignment or rising wave of support for liberal policies in Alabama.  If Luther Strange or Mo Brooks had been the candidate, this would’ve been a rubber-stamp footnote of a story.  Instead, it represented a “bridge too far” uneasiness with a particular candidate that caused many Republicans to stay home and just enough (nearly 23,000, or 1.7% of the vote) to write in a different candidate, and hand a squeaker victory to Doug Jones over Roy Moore by 49.9% to 48.4%.  Even with an Obama-level turnout of black voters for Jones in urban areas, he was unable to top 50% and would have lost handily if so many Republicans hadn’t rejected their own candidate and stayed home.

(Note: at this writing, Moore is refusing to concede, citing uncounted military ballots that could bring the total to within the 0.5% margin for a mandatory recount.)

One lesson that I seriously doubt the media will absorb is that it shatters the ridiculous narrative currently being peddled by the Democrats that they are suddenly the “moral high ground” party and it's Republicans who will abandon their moral principles for expediency.  If conservative Christians in Alabama really were hypocrites who practiced DC-style situational ethics, they would’ve pulled the lever for Moore without a second thought.  As for their support of Trump despite sexual harassment allegations against him, perhaps they forgot voters had two choices; and the Democrats were offering up the Clintons, the poster children for sexual misconduct and smearing the victims.  And that was after 25 years of the party telling us that character doesn’t count and sexual behavior is personal and irrelevant for office, specifically to protect the Clintons!

In fact, if the liberal national media had paid attention to the Christian-oriented media, they would have seen many faith leaders joining with Mitt Romney and other Republicans in openly opposing Moore, despite their political beliefs aligning much more with his than with Jones’.  That’s precisely because they believe so strongly that character outweighs policy positions.  If you want to see what naked hypocrisy and expediency look like, search up a recent article in the Guardian by a feminist who was concerned that the new wave of sexual misconduct allegations was hitting too many liberals, so she was calling for a new set of standards that would destroy only men on the right while letting those on the left off the hook.  In other words, a “double standard.”  And the same old one that was applied to Bill Clinton by prominent feminists: as long as you back abortion rights and other feminist issues, you can get away with being a sexist pig.  Sorry, not interested in going back to that.

Even more Christian conservative voters had an attitude in line with mine: disturbed by the allegations, unhappy with Moore’s response (especially the first Sean Hannity interview), turned off by some of his other gaffes during the campaign -- but unwilling to denounce him as long as he adamantly proclaimed he was not guilty, because it would mean endorsing the end of due process and the presumption of innocence, as well as encouraging more such last-minute, unproven personal attacks.  Some may have felt that not supporting Moore wouldn’t have been too calamitous because Jones was promising to cross party lines and represent Alabama, not Chuck Schumer.  Besides, if he doesn’t, this was just a race to fill Jeff Sessions’ unexpired term, so they can vote him out in 2020.

But brace yourself: having seen that the Washington Post tactic works, and that GOP voters do have moral standards that they can exploit, the left will use it against virtually every Republican running in 2018.  Primary voters need to pick wisely, and anyone with skeletons in their closets had better air them out now or drop out if they don’t want them splashed across the national media.  I’ve long said that if you get into politics, you’d better be prepared to undergo a public colonoscopy.  Well, prepare for your test results to be broadcast ‘round the clock.

Also despite the crowing from the left, this is not necessarily a signal that retaking the Senate is within reach in 2018.  The Democrats have far more states up for reelection than the Republicans, and they have to win every last state and pick up two more red states.  But the Republicans are on notice that they need to pick great candidates, to campaign hard for them, and to mobilize their vote.  The left is charged up by a 24/7 diet of anti-Trump vitriol, and if you don’t want the agenda that’s defeating ISIS, turbo-charging the economy and putting real judges back on the bench to be blocked in Congress, you’ve got to get up off the couch and vote.

Everyone else is doing winner/loser lists, so here’s mine, aside from Jones and Moore.

The obvious loser that everyone is citing is Steve Bannon, Trump’s former adviser who spearheaded the idea of primary challenges to moderate Republicans.  The new Senate GOP majority is only 51-49 (it was already in effect a minority because of the Republicans who play Hamlet – “To support or not to support?...” over every conservative bill, and then don’t support.)   This will make it even harder to get a conservative agenda passed or to approve constructionist judges.  Republican voters can’t do what the Senate Hamlets do and let the perfect be the enemy of the good by taking their ball and going home if the Republican isn’t perfectly in sync with their views.

For that and his failed last-minute push for Moore, President Trump is also a loser this round.  His ugly Election Day Twitter feud with Kirsten Gillibrand also couldn’t have helped.  That was an embarrassing unforced error.

Loser but also winner: Mitch McConnell.  He has one fewer Republican Senator, but he won't have to deal with continuing controversy over seating Moore.  He can also point to the loss as proof that Bannon’s strategy is a fatal mistake, and Bannon’s favorite punching bag is McConnell.

Another loser but also winner: Republicans who lost an election but proved that they do take character seriously and don’t dismiss questions about that just because a candidate is “their guy.”

Loser: Al Franken.  Many suspect that he postponed his resignation so if Moore won, he could take it back and stay on.  But to quote fellow “SNL” alum David Spade:  “Buh-bye!”

Finally, the big loser nobody’s mentioned:  just as in 2016, the pollsters. As recently as Monday, one poll showed Moore up 9 points, while another had Jones up 10 points.  The final gap was less than 2 points.  Maybe it’s time to start consulting Magic 8-Balls instead.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Bruce Probert

12/14/2017 02:41 PM

Mike,
    Let Sarah be Sarah she's doing fine she is so not Marie Harf who has zero credibility. Kirsten Gillibrand needs to be called out for her blatant hypocrisy, her strident tone, and lies about Trump and his agenda. Her messages to her supporters are stomach turning with the truth being the first casualty. As far as Roy Moore He wasn't the candidate that I would have asked for and he wasn't able to effectively defend himself against the accusations. We need to look into who was behind the coordinated release, Gloria Allred doesn't come cheap and for her to be at the fore front with a publicly discredited story and a client who had a divorce case in front of Moore. That smells. The question of why Gloria Allred still has a law license should be carefully examined. The hyperbole about the claims of molestation and pedophilia are a stretch even today but 40 years ago is insulting, especially when you compare Judge Moore's marriage to Bill Clinton's.

• Jerry Jennings

12/14/2017 02:32 PM

Human problems have, in general, no human solutions.

I pray that you may be heard.

JJ

• Walter Dougherty

12/14/2017 02:30 PM

Dear Mike Huckabee;
    In addressing supporters, Moore suggested a recount may be in the works.
    "Realize when the vote is this close, that it's not over," he said. Moore also said he would "wait on God and let this process play out."
    Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee lent Moore some advice.
    "God wasn't registered to vote in AL but the ppl who voted did speak and it wasn't close enough for recount," he tweeted. "In elections everyone does NOT get a trophy. I know first hand but it's best to exit with class."
    I found you comments about Roy, as one that mocketh, not only the individual that waits upon God (Ps. 27:14) but also that it is unimportant for "thy will be done."
    Fools mock at making atonement for sins, but among the upright there is good will. Proverbs 14:9
    Who of us has not sinned 40 years ago? and even more so if not a Christian. (1John 1:9) Whether Judge Roy Moore did these "accusations" to be guilty is with two or three witnesses and proof of facts, neither was ever present therefore it is: She said, He Said. (innocent until proven guilty). Roy, I believe from his testimony and life is a true Christian and he is the only one I know in the entire Republican Party that knows, obeys and defends our Constitution. Ps. 44:21 "Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart."
    A trial by a jury of one’s peers is a constitutional right guaranteed in the 6 th amendment. A trial by an impartial jury is a crucial part of our criminal justice system. This right was established to protect the accused from being unfairly judged by previous misconceptions placed by the (fake lying news media). Due process was created to ensure that every citizen of the United States is treated and punished fairly and with equality in the criminal justice system.
    I guess that some would whether believe Mr. Doug Jones will not vote to kill babies up until it is seen coming out of the womb and make us Christians pay for murder, then to believe a Christian of "accusations" from 40 years ago just 2 weeks before ALABAMA'S historic moment to restore America. We have enough RINO's and God haters in Washington. Trump needed a patriot with holy ghost convictions and the backbone and fight of a soldier.
    I have purchased 12 of your books, collected signatures to get you on the presidential ballot in Indiana, attended a few of your events, prayed for you and read all your emails. I believe a loyal follower of yours, you owe me and many others an apology. For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. I was offended.
    Walter Dougherty/Indiana

• Thomas Atkinson

12/14/2017 01:56 PM

I totally agree with Karl Rove's Wall St. Journal article (12/14/17), stating that the Republicans have picked very weak candidates, i.e, Sharon Angle in Nevada in 2010, Christine O'Donnell in Delaware, Todd Akin in Missouri and Richard Mourdock in Indiana. Judge Moore was a very poor pick. It's almost as if the Republicans don't want too big a majority so they can blame their lack of progress on the terrible Democrats. Mitch McConnell and Steve Bannon need to back off and pick winnable candidates rather than losers that they can control.
    Thomas Atkinson

• Sue Martin

12/14/2017 01:43 PM

Dear Mr. Huckabee,

I can't believe you didn't stand with a person who has 40 years of nothing but praise and standing for Christ.....but I guess I can believe it.

You are stripping away the rule of law -- the due process provided to anyone who is accused of anything. I believe you are lock step with the evil media, judging by merely opinion and not through the legal system. I am sure the Alabama Constitution, as well as the US Constitution, provide for the due process. You have fallen directly in line that the accuser is innocent & truthful and that no burden of proof falls on them.

Where is innocent until proven guilty? Where is the burden of proof falls on the accuser - not the accused?

Done with the Republican party -- a woman, a R voter of 30 years -- Done with the R party. Done with your emails.

I believe, as I tweeted you yesterday, your tweet in reference to Moore was nothing but mockery to God and Moore.

• Richard Peninger

12/14/2017 01:36 PM

Rather or not Roy Moore was a scum bag, whole country loses either way. Moore wins, country looses because liberals would use it to defame very decent main-stream Americans. Moore looses, country looses because liberals use it to diminish the perception of support for President Trump. Republicans should have given Trump what he originally wanted on the Tax bill, although like any good negotiator, Trump asked for more than he wanted in the first place so he could settle in the middle, with a decent bill, instead of lose fighting for a great bill. Losers, Republican party, who don't have the courage to risk really making massive changes.

• Judy Nolte

12/14/2017 01:19 PM

Thank you so much for your honesty and straight forward thoughts. Our Beloved Country needs more people like you involved in our Govenment. I am so frustrated with both parties I am at a complete loss as to who to believe. It seems to me the people in Washington DC only do what is "Best for them" and have completely lost sight of why they are there. These men and women are like "Spoiled 4 year olds" throwing a temper tantrum. Why the Democrats refuse to work with the Republicans and the Republicans refuse to work with the Democrats is mind boggling. What about doing what you are "paid to do" and stop posturing for the camera!!! Thank you and God Bless You!

• Robert Deplorable Baublitz

12/14/2017 01:00 PM

After giving so much of his life, serving the people of the great state of Alabama, even sacrificing his job as Chief Justice State Supreme Court taking a stand for the Ten Commandments, according to the nation’s Founder’s principles of a biblical, God fearing government, I am greatly saddened that the people of Alabama let the smear campaign against Judge Moore, the same garbage the progressive socialist communist democratic party used against Clarence Thomas, Herman Cain and other Constitutionally sound people, turn their support from this Godly man.

• Robert E. Graham

12/14/2017 12:33 PM

First let me say I am a dual citizen Canadian/American because God called me to minister to First Nations people. I vote in US elections and l am passionate about helping both U.S and Canada come back to thier Christian roots. I really believe that there has to be a conscience effort for white Jesus follower's to reach out to Black Jesus follower's. In reading the Washington Post the article said that 78% of Black voters claimed to have a born again experience. Yet very few vote Republican. I just retired from Native American ministry. I find the aboringinal church is looking to Black Evangelical leadership rather then White. Maybe we have take a good look at ourselves and see what God really wants and what policies are really something Jesus would support. As a White Evangelical I didn't think much of Obama-care. I hate abortion. Talking to my Native and Black brothers that is not the issue. The issue we don't look at is that for the working poor not having medical attention is just as much as a life issue as abortion. I will give you an example out of my own ministry. For a year I worked in a Salvation Army Corp. I was right out of seminary and became Corp. Assisant, which for you not familiar with Army lingo is associate pastor. There I got to know a working poor family. The family was solidly Christian. They made every effort to follow Jesus and the husband was a Gideon. At 43 he got diagnosed with cancer. No insurance no money. Two years later they asked me to come back and preach his funeral service. After the service a doctor who specializes in cancer and a Gideon himself said to me if he had insurance I believe he would have a 95% chance of walking around today. As a pastor I will never forget that. I didn't like Obama-care but it did address a need. We need to come up with a plan to cover people like my brother. The Black, Aboringinal, Evangelical community see this more then we do. It is a life issue as much as abortion is. We will not see truly Christian leadership in our country till we overcome our racial and class division in the church. That means openly rethinking some our long held political beliefs without compromising the tenants in the Word of God.
    Robert Graham

• Joseph Trokey

12/14/2017 12:31 PM

I took the time to read Donna Sudbrook's comment before writing this. I can't help but agree with what she has said. We know for a fact that not only the Democrats didn't want Moore in D.C. but the Republicans didn't want him either, then in order to make sure he didn't get elected, they had to pretend to go back 40 years, think about this, 40 years, to accuse him of something. Maybe he is guilty, I don't know, but it looks like a combination of the movies "The Ox-Bow incident", "Dave", and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington". I'm glad I have never had any desire to be in politics. The moral bankruptcy of politics, and this nation as far as that goes, is appalling. I would say that if everyone of the members of Congress were to get the same treatment from the liberal press that Roy Moore did, the halls up there would be nearly empty. Please don't get me wrong, if Roy Moore is guilty, he needs not only to not hold office but also to go to jail. What I smell here though, is a big rat in a pile of year old garbage. One thing for sure, I believe God will in due time, straighten this whole thing out and when He does, I sure feel sorry for those involved, no matter which way the truth falls.

• Heidi L Petrick

12/14/2017 12:27 PM

Not sure what to tell you Governor, it seems like the republicans of this country don't want republicans in government. Maybe they want to be taken care of by a coco-eyed government who really doesn't care about the people as much as how much they can take from the people. Glad we have Pres. Trump in there. Keep up the good work Governor, love your show on TBN. God bless and Merry Christmas!.

• Karen McKee

12/14/2017 12:01 PM

Oh Dear Mr. Huckabee,
    I could not agree with Donna Sudbrook more. Thank You Donna for saying so eloquently how many Moore supporters feel.

I am certain the Left will use their character asassination plot to attempt to take down every Republican candidate from now on; because so many minds here were manipulated into believing they could not morally vote for Moore. Just watch! AL have them the green light! I am ashamed that due process lost which, can result in loss of the same for every American regardless of status. Dirty politics wins again!

So, having said all of this, there is one response not one media outlet has reported. While Democrats celebrate their Victory, has ANYONE noticed how PEACEFUL it has been in AL?

Not one person on the "losing" side is marching in the street, setting fires, destroying businesses or property. No one is asking for scream rooms, cry cabins, tantrum trailers and pouty pants pizza parties.

I fear the same may not have been true had Judge Moore won. Maybe God stepped in to provide this example of what "good losing" looks like?

We are ADULTS and are using words & the "process" to voice our concerns with the outcome.

I feel the "Fake News" & even reputable news outlets are irresponsible for not reporting this reaction. Isn't the lack of such melodrama deserving of airtime also?

• Kristen Harris

12/14/2017 11:56 AM

An excellent analysis. Hope Bannon takes your advice

• VICENTA ANCHETA

12/14/2017 11:38 AM

THIS IS THE DISGUST AND ANGER THAT I FEEL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-0n675-4KA

• Olivia J Taylor

12/14/2017 11:29 AM

The Republicans who lost the election proved "they do take character seriously"--Are you kidding??? The fellow that won supports abortion and who knows what else! The allegations against Mr. Moore were not proven, and I personally don't believe them. Nevertheless, he has been a controversial figure for a long time because of his stand for Christian principles, and it's refreshing to see a MAN who will STAND for anything in these days of compromise. I've a feeling those who fought so hard to keep him out of the Senate were fighting to keep another strong conservative out and bring in another person they could lead by the nose.

• VICENTA ANCHETA

12/14/2017 11:29 AM

I agree with Donna Sudbrook in COMMENTS SECTION

Democrats did what was EXPECTED OF COMMUNIST.

REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS AND THE ELITES BEHIND THEM
    ARE A DISGRACE. I WILL NEVER SUPPORT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY AGAIN.

I WILL STAND BEHIND AND WITH AND STRONG EVERY STEP WITH THE
    DEPLORABLE AND PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP.

THE VOTE IS NOT ONLY FOR ALABAMA.
    THE VOTE IS TO SOLIDIFY THE DEPLORABLE AGENDA TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE ALWAYS LOYAL TO EACH OTHER
    AND WALK IN LOCK STEP BEHIND PELOSI
    THE DEMOCRATS PROGRESSIVE LIBERAL LEFT AGENDA HAS DEEP LONG AND THICK ROOTS.
    THE DEMOCRATS BELIEVE AMERICA SHOULD BE A SOCIALIST/COMMUNIST COUNTRY

THE ALABAMA VOTE WAS NOT ABOUT JUDGE ROY MOORE.
    THE ALABAMA VOTE WAS ABOUT MY FREEDOM, MY CHILDREN'S FREEDOM, MY GRAND BABIES FREEDOM.

YOU AND ALL THE REPUBLICANS HAVE DONE AND ARE DOING A GREAT DISSERVICE TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.
    NAME ALL THE REPUBLICAN ELITES, INCLUDING YOURSELF, THAT CAMPAIGNED FOR THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE,
    JUDGE ROY MOOR, LEGALLY ELECTED BY ALABAMA AS THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE FOR THE USA SENATE?
    THE PEOPLES VOTE SUPERSEDES THE WILL OF MITCH MCCONNELL, PAUL RYAN AND THE REST OF THE RINO.
    PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S ENDORSEMENT OF THIS GREAT PATRIOT WAS LUKE WARM AT BEST.
    THE LAST RALLY IN FLORIDA SHOULD HAVE BEEN CANCELLED AND MOVED TO ALABAMA TO SECURE THE VOTE.

I PRAY THAT JUDGE ROY MOORE FINDS A WAY TO FIGHT THIS INJUSTICE ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPREME COURT.

VOTER FRAUD AND VOTER SUPPRESSION AND VOTER MANIPULATION CAN NOT STAND THESE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

MERRY CHRISTMAS "IN THE NAME OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST".

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

• Robbie Mize

12/14/2017 10:41 AM

I and my family and probably most of my church family I assume from comments on Social Media are among the evangelical conservatives who have backed Moore even during his turbulent years here in Alabama and we have not changed our minds. We think this was a planned plot and dropped at the right moment to where it was between Moore and Jones (pro-abortion) . In short, we do not believe the accusations that seemed to be far worse that any evidence presented. We could never vote for a pro-abortion candidate. Luther Strange was rejected in the first primary because most voters here felt like he got the appointment in return for non-prosecution of the Governor. All this to say, come two years from now, we will find a flawless candidate if one exists and when Sen. Shelby's time is up, the people in Alabama are not happy with him and I think he will be gone if he runs. We also see this as a path to to get rid of Pres. Trump. Wee face an evil well funded plot.
    Thank you so much for your newsletter , I lover your humor, I love your daughter Sarah and I hope she stays where she is as long as needed....and right now she is definitely needed. She does a great job!

• Beatrice Vajgart

12/14/2017 10:32 AM

The way I look at it: Too many think whatever the mob thinks and don't think for themselves. I think the Alabama race was preplanned. 1. McConnell, Karl Rove and the Chamber of Commerce (might add the Soros bunch) paid millions to defeat Moore before any allegations had been made but that didn't work - he won the primary anyway. 2. So now, they rounded up several women to falsely accuse Moore - too many doubted Moore's integrity which he had proved over the pass 30-40 years (I never faulted Moore for the Ten Commandment thing or not obeying the same-sex marriage licenses - it made me believe in him even more - he did not go against his godly beliefs). The ignorant mob won out again. 3. McConnell got nervous - maybe Moore will still win so the ones in charge of the voter finals were warned not to preserve any of the ballots - that would make it quite hard or impossible for a recount. There should be a recount with it being that close. It was also said that the military ballots hadn't even been counted - don't know if that's true but with voter fraud and corruption, I wouldn't doubt it. In closing, I must say that most of the time I agree with you and I love your daughter Sarah. She is so special.

• kay runyan

12/14/2017 10:32 AM

It's both republican houses that cost Judge Moore the vote. They ran on our presidents' agenda, then once they took office, betrayed the American people. I 'm so disgusted with the republicans , I ALMOST didn't vote, but I knew my vote would count. Thank you Mr. Huckabee for your faithfullness to God and country.

• Randy Butler

12/14/2017 10:31 AM

Thank You Gov Huckabee for shining the light on DC Professional Politicians who are destroying our Republic. America is in serious trouble, the folks that are speaking as leaders of our nation are taking us down a road where a person with character cannot be heard. In the early beginnings of our country people were always measuring THEIR GOVERNMENT against the principles of the monarchy, kings,queens and their royal beauracracy. It seems we now have the same situation, President,the Cabinet Secretaries,Congress and an entrenched Beauracracy. They are all influenced by the powerful financial peddlers. The most disastrous part of our REPUBLIC is the Biased National DC Press that is also influenced by the financial peddlers in our country. Character, morality, the law's of nature and of Nature's GOD, from THOMAS JEFFERSON and others until the present have been erased from our great AMERICA. May GOD once again Bless our Country.
    Randy Butler
    South Carolina

• Marcia Standifer

12/14/2017 10:28 AM

Thank you, Governor, for the most precise, even-handed and wise assessment of the whole Roy Moore debacle I have read anywhere! It reflects exactly my thoughts throughout the process. Whatever happened to "innocent til proven guilty?"

I do wish you would submit this piece to Fox News and other less biased(?) media as an opinion piece, so many more folks, as well as so-called "Republican" politicians, could benefit from your assessment & thoughts for the future.

• Robert Everson

12/14/2017 10:20 AM

Dear Governor Huckabee:

Sarah is doing a great job at the White House. You taught her well!

Sara is correct, why can't the media report on the issues hard working American's care about, the economy, safe and secure borders, health care costs, government spending and the national debt? Most news is about the latest sexual accusation scandals including the very sad story from Kentucky with Rep. Dan Johnson. Sorry terrible for his family. Good moral people are under attack.

The moral character of our country is in great decline. We need men and women like you and Sarah to continue to stand for truth and keep fighting for what we believe.

Thank you for your service to our country, Merry Christmas to the Huckabee Family!

Bob Everson

• John Tyler

12/14/2017 10:19 AM

My wife and I both voted for Roy Moore because we believe he could best represent Christian and conservative values in Alabama and for the country. We think he was innocent and did nothing wrong and we believe the truth will eventually come to light. It's a common practice for the liberals to attack the character of conservative when they can't defend their own leftist politics. I appreciate that you presented that liberals only become 'morally' outraged when it involves a conservative. Maybe the Republicans will learn that they really need to work together to get things done.

• Mel Thrasher

12/14/2017 10:14 AM

I truly believe this election was bought and paid for by liberals. They have found something that works: Smear your opposition with trumped up sex scandals. It worked with Herman Cain, almost worked with judge Thomas and worked great on judge Moore. Look for a lot of it next year. Judge Moore was a HUGE threat to the cushy status quo the establishment has gotten used to and loves, so they had to pull out all stops.

• thomas ellsworth

12/14/2017 10:01 AM

I hope Moore is not guilty of the allegations brought up against him. I would not be surprised to find the Democrat party and or agents of the left had a hand in the destruction of his reputation. Just look at what they have done and continue to do to President Trump. It is not beyond them to fabricate issues to discredit their opposition.
    I would like to have had the allegations confirmed prior to sentencing. I do believe that is the way our justice system is designed to work. I also believe the entrenched politicians will do anything to keep their elite status from being interrupted, it has been too profitable for them at our expense.
    Keep up the good work your comments are a breath of fresh air.

• Jim sharpe

12/14/2017 09:55 AM

Please give dishonorable mention to the DC republicans who harped against a yet-to-be convicted "predator", as they dissed him from their smug offices, and copied the contemptuous insults from the progressive stone throwers.
    Those smug politicians added a nail to their own coffin also as what worked with Moore will work easier on them now that the skids are greased! No man is without sin, and temptation is a threat to us all--but God help anyone with shaddows in their past or future. There is good reason for "innocent until proven guilty!

One more aside on Trumps tweet...the foulest retort in all those antics was from the great Senator Warren who defended her fellow female senator by claiming Trump "slut-shamed" her. Excuse me? So I should stoop so low now in addressing Ms. Warren?!

• George Kimbrell

12/14/2017 09:53 AM

Roy Moore's defeat was not a real victory for Democrats in Alabama. The victory was the result of the write in option promoted by Richard Shelby and the failure of Republicans to get out and vote for whatever reason. Shelby should have known this was the equivalent of voting for liberal Doug Jones. I along with many others will remember Shelby's assisting Jones if he runs again. Moore is being persecuted for his stand for things dictated by scripture and basic to a well rounded and decent society. We will pay for the civil wrongs that have been ignored in the name of civil rights. Scripture says "All nations that forget God will be turned in to hell". We are headed there if we don't change. Moore has been terribly mistreated in our state because of his, as Doug Jones puts it, for his extreme view. Not extreme at all. Just good old Bible doctrine. Would support Moore if he ran again as many did this time.

• Bill Higgins

12/14/2017 09:46 AM

Mike
    What do we have to do to demand the list of senators/congressmen who paid 17 million dollars of taxpayer money from their sexual slush fund to silence their accusers on 263 separate occasions.
    This would expedite the draining of the Swamp/sewer.

• Larry Roope

12/14/2017 09:38 AM

Not buying it. Electronic voting machines were used. State Supreme Court voted right before the election that it was ok to destroy votes after the election. Fraction Magic was used to control the outcome. IF you believe this was an honest election then you need a good dose of reality.The Demo's do not have a problem being dishonest as long as they get the outcome they desire. This election was just another hoax done against The American People.

• Valerie Bryan

12/14/2017 09:35 AM

I hate to see this massive caving-in to ALLEGATIONS! Soon, women will be feared rather than treated equally. But, wait a minute: Yes! Scripture tells us that happens in the end times, doesnt it?!

• Kevin Cook

12/14/2017 08:49 AM

Republicans need to circle the wagons and not the firing squad. The smart would be put Moore in investigate the allegations and if True ask him to resign and the governor puts in Strange or some republican. We will never defeat the democrats if we don’t play to win

• Paticio

12/14/2017 08:37 AM

What happened to the presumption of innocence? I think the old mainstream Republicans gave themselves a shot in the foot.

• Donna Sudbrook

12/14/2017 12:12 AM

Dear Governor Huckabee, My family is not going to believe that I am disagreeing with you on an issue. They know that you are one of my favorite elected officials (of all time :) ) and still will be even with this difference. Regarding Judge Roy Moore, I have followed his career over many years via various conservative news emails. He has been up against the most formidable opposition at many turns. I do not understand all of the animosity towards Judge Roy Moore. How was 1 Senator out of 100 going to be such a threat to so many, that they have been falling all over themselves in the media and in the Senate and even the President needing to express over and over again what they personally thought of Judge Roy Moore, they are for him, they are against him as if every voter needed a play by play of their advice before making their own choice. Amazon's Jeff Bezos owns the Washington Post... runs an article in the November 9, 2017 edition of his paper..... 4 weeks before a December 12 election, after both the Democrat and Republican Parties had each spent $10s of millions of dollars to defeat Roy Moore and were unsuccessful. Of course Roy Moore is very familiar to Alabama voters having been elected twice to the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court post and twice removed from office (and the will of the voters negated) by a judicial panel. Would they not know what kind of man he is by now? What kind of benefit will Jeff Bezos receive from the Democrats and Republicans for doing their bidding? How does a man who has given up a seat as Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, not once but twice, in order to stand true to the principles that he lives by, do the things that he was accused of? and exactly what is he accused of and what evidence is there to bring on a landslide of child molestation and sexual predator headlines in legacy media outlets pounding him for weeks? and why are all allegations 40 years old, doesn't bad behavior typically continue? Did he not deserve the benefit of the doubt given that the entire political establishment had fired all their millions of bullets at him and he was still winning as of November 9? When Senators Collins, McCain, McConnell, Gardner, all started saying within days of the November 9 article how they were so sure he was guilty, I felt sure it could not be true. How could they possibly be so sure about something that had happened 40 years ago? I have spent the evening unsubscribing from everything that has the word Republican in it. I felt bad over the conduct of the Republican Party with Thad Cochran's re-election tactics, and the categorzation of Romney as a conservative after I had followed his actions as Governor of Massachusetts for several years. Many Democrats and many Republicans have joined forces to create a powerful political establishment in the country that is drowning us in $20 trillion in debt even as they work with Bezos, and Zuckerburg, and Schmidt, and others to make sure that their power is untouched and their riches increase astronomically. I appreciate what Trump is doing, but truth is truth and if Roy Moore was politically slaughtered because he believes in the 10 Commandments and believes that marriage is between a man and a woman for life, and there is not room for even 1 person who believes like that in the Senate, then I stand with Roy Moore. Shredding candidates for public office... either by their own party, the other party, or the media.... where is the honor and love of democracy in that? I feel like the country owes him a complete count of the votes, and a recount if eligible. They all got what they wanted, now just leave him alone. If he is innocent, God will fight for him. Thank you for your service to America. I continue to look forward to attending your Inauguration as President sometime down the road. :) Sincerely, Donna Sudbrook

December 13, 2017

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Bruce Probert

12/14/2017 02:41 PM

Mike,

• Jerry Jennings

12/14/2017 02:32 PM

Human problems have, in general, no human solutions.

I pray that you may be heard.

JJ

• Walter Dougherty

12/14/2017 02:30 PM

Dear Mike Huckabee;
    In addressing supporters, Moore suggested a recount may be in the works.
    Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee lent Moore some advice.
    Walter Dougherty/Indiana

12/14/2017 11:38 AM

• Olivia J Taylor

12/14/2017 11:29 AM

• VICENTA ANCHETA

12/14/2017 11:29 AM

I agree with Donna Sudbrook in COMMENTS SECTION

Democrats did what was EXPECTED OF COMMUNIST.

REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS AND THE ELITES BEHIND THEM
    ARE A DISGRACE. I WILL NEVER SUPPORT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY AGAIN.

I WILL STAND BEHIND AND WITH AND STRONG EVERY STEP WITH THE
    DEPLORABLE AND PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP.

THE VOTE IS NOT ONLY FOR ALABAMA.
    THE VOTE IS TO SOLIDIFY THE DEPLORABLE AGENDA TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE ALWAYS LOYAL TO EACH OTHER
    AND WALK IN LOCK STEP BEHIND PELOSI
    THE DEMOCRATS PROGRESSIVE LIBERAL LEFT AGENDA HAS DEEP LONG AND THICK ROOTS.
    THE DEMOCRATS BELIEVE AMERICA SHOULD BE A SOCIALIST/COMMUNIST COUNTRY

THE ALABAMA VOTE WAS NOT ABOUT JUDGE ROY MOORE.

MERRY CHRISTMAS "IN THE NAME OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST".

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

• Robbie Mize

South Carolina

• Marcia Standifer

12/14/2017 10:28 AM

• Robert Everson

12/14/2017 10:20 AM

Dear Governor Huckabee:

Sarah is doing a great job at the White House. You taught her well!

Bob Everson

• John Tyler

12/14/2017 10:19 AM

• Mel Thrasher

12/14/2017 10:14 AM

• thomas ellsworth

12/14/2017 10:01 AM

Keep up the good work your comments are a breath of fresh air.

• Jim sharpe

12/14/2017 09:55 AM

• George Kimbrell

12/14/2017 09:53 AM

• Bill Higgins

12/14/2017 09:46 AM

Mike
    This would expedite the draining of the Swamp/sewer.

• Larry Roope