April 30, 2018

As you might expect, a lot of people are asking for my reaction to the foul-mouthed, unfunny and vitriolic “comedy” performance at Saturday’s White House Correspondents’ Dinner. I already said a little about it on Twitter, and you can read about that here:

I would like to add that I am extremely proud of my daughter Sarah for giving the people in that room a desperately-needed illustration of what true class and dignity look like by sitting stoically through a vicious personal attack. I also commend those from both conservative and liberal media outlets who condemned that embarrassing, tasteless assault masquerading as humor (it’s no surprise that the speaker came out of “Comedy” Central’s “Daily Show,” which has lost its senses of humor and fairness ever since Jon Stewart left and Trump was elected, and has infected all of late night TV with the idea that partisan hate speech = “comedy.”)

One of the more ridiculous epithets being hurled on social media is the left calling Republicans who are upset about this “snowflakes” who can’t take a joke. First of all, I didn’t hear much that I’d consider “jokes.” Secondly, snowflakes get that name because they’re so delicate, they melt when you barely touch them (like college students who need to flee to safe spaces when they hear an idea that challenges them.) Sarah learned early on that if she got into politics, she’d have to develop a thick skin and a spine of steel to deal with the unfair attacks, and she exhibited admirable strength and restraint.

The organizers of the WHCD are frantically trying to distance themselves from their speaker this morning, and predictably getting grief from the left, who think that any attack on those they disagree with is simply “free speech,” no matter how nasty or personal. Even the speaker herself is trying to claim she wasn’t really attacking anyone’s looks and the media misinterpreted her meaning (that’s the first laughable thing she’s said so far.) Please! The left always attacks conservative women’s looks, even those who could be (or were) beauty queens. Then they backtrack and hypocritically rationalize their sexist smears when they’re called on it.

They don’t seem to understand that the First Amendment provides protection from government censorship. It doesn’t shield you from criticism for saying foul and obnoxious things, nor does it protect you from the consequences of your speech in terms of popularity or employability. In other words, you have the right to say any vile thing that pops into your head, but intelligent, mature adults know that’s not always a good idea.

If any good comes of this embarrassing public spectacle, let’s hope this will the last WHCD – or at least, the last one where the theme is partisan rancor. The group claims the intention is not to divide and target people, but that seems to be the mission much of the media have adopted since 2016. As several pundits pointed out, they made it loud and clear to Americans outside the liberal media bubble that they are very partisan and as Sean Davis of The Federalist put it, “They hate you and want to control you.” Maybe this massive embarrassment and the well-deserved public condemnation that’s followed will finally shock them into doing some soul-searching over what they’ve become and how the public views them, and force them to ponder whether they’re living up to the ideals they mouth respect for.

It’s an interesting synchronicity that at the exact moment this repulsive hatefulness was going on in DC, TBN was airing my interview with Candace Cameron Bure. The former “Full House” star is TV-actress stunning, but even if she weren’t, she would still be beautiful because she radiates beauty from inside. Her love of Christ and her family and her fellow humans is evident in everything she does. She’d come to talk about her new book, “Kind Is The New Classy.” It’s a book about making the conscious choice to reject anger, hatred, bitterness and outrage and instead do something that’s genuinely radical and counter-cultural in today’s society: embrace kindness, forgiveness and respect for others. If you really want to be a “rebel,” why not try showing kindness and empathy instead of just parroting the same mindless hatred that everyone around you is repeating?

In the spirit of kindness, I’ve refrained from mentioning the name of the woman who gave that performance on Saturday. I will even pray for her, that she may see that anger and insults are not a good way to build a long-lasting career, and that ugliness is not something that’s visible on the outside, but something you carry inside.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

OR IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO SEND ME A MESSAGE, GO HERE.

Two Major About-Faces

The Left Is Wildly Misinformed

New Study Compares Coverage Of Biden And Trump

• Dolores Mattingly

05/02/2018 09:29 AM

Sarah handled herself with class and dignity; the “funny” person attacking her in the name of good natured humor was pure trash.

• Debra Callahan

05/02/2018 09:20 AM

As a parent my heart was breaking during that horrible so called “comedy” act! My heart broke for Sarah but especially for you having to listen to such trash talk directed at your daughter. But, how proud you must be at her dignity, grace and composure during the vicious attach. You and her mother raised her well. Be proud. Prayers for out nation and leaders.

• Kip Eubanks

05/02/2018 09:18 AM

We love and respect you and your daughter. You represent America and Arkansas in ways that make us proud. Thank you
    Kip Eubanks U of A class of 84

• Debbie Leyhew

05/02/2018 09:16 AM

Mike, we met you at the taping of your show Friday night. We had come the week before and enjoyed it so much, we made the trip again from Lynchburg to see you and Candace Cameron Bure! I can't fathom as a parent how you felt as you heard about the horrendous attack on your amazing daughter! As a former governor, presidential candidate, and a highly respected member of the political scene, it also had to be a heartbreaking commentary on the state of the media and Democratic Party. We think Sarah is the president's greatest asset, and she is a wonderful human being full of grace, intelligence, faith, stamina, class, strength, tenacity, and beauty! We pray for her and the administration daily, and she has all the qualities of leadership that could put her behind the desk in the Oval Office! We thank God for you, Mike, and your service to our nation! Keep speaking the truth and know that you are dearly loved and respected! We'll see you again soon at another taping of your show!

• Juanita Greene

05/02/2018 09:05 AM

Sarah has class and I very much like her press reports. Very smart lady!

• Deborah Greer

05/02/2018 09:02 AM

We'll said Mr Huckabee. Your daughter is a class act. I was appalled at this latest attact on this administration! I'm praying for our president and for America. God does not let these kind of insults on His children go unnoticed.

• RODNEY BENDIGO

05/02/2018 07:52 AM

Thank YOU for YOUR Service !

• Deanna Drab

05/02/2018 07:45 AM

Mike, I cannot begin to express how much admiration I have for Sarah. You and Janet have obviously done a great job of making her a strong woman. Please go to FACEBOOK to see all the posts I have made about her. My thoughts are "Sarah Huckabee Sanders for our first woman president." A REAL WOMAN FOR A REAL JOB!!!!

• Carley & Kathy Franklin

05/02/2018 07:31 AM

Mike please tell your daughter Sarah for us that we believe that she is the best press secretary that has ever been in that position. She handles herself very professional and knows how to take the press head on and not backing up. She is a class act and I know that you are very proud of her. God Bless you and your daughter and tell her we are praying for her and rooting her on.

• Barbara Beseman

05/02/2018 07:01 AM

Knowing those hateful words stung you probably more than your precious, strong daughter, I congratulate you and her mother for raising such an amazing, lovely lady!! Praying for God’s continued blessing and protection for
    our Huckabees!! BB

• Cynthia Sampson

05/02/2018 06:59 AM

Awed by the grace and stamina Sarah showed under the most vicious attack yet. She exhibited what a “good upbringing” used to mean. Good job! Sarah and good job, Dad and Mom!

• LaVonne Bauder

05/02/2018 03:30 AM

I am so glad for a chance to ask you to tell Miss Sarah that she looked so regal and beautiful Saturday night. I just adore her. I am going to try and send her a letter.I am so proud of her even before this happened.l

• Marti Barrow

05/02/2018 02:30 AM

My husband & I were so appalled watching that person be so insensitive, cruel, & stupid lashing out at a respectable, decent, 1st class lady as Sarah Sanders, who has more value, warmth, intelligence than she could ever have in her lifetime with the unfunny low class she portrayed. She was repulsive & even had the gall to brag about killing babies. How evil!

• Marti Barrow

05/02/2018 02:28 AM

• Denise A Wright

05/02/2018 02:17 AM

Good job Sarah's Dad! Excellent commentary. You are a great example of a loving, caring, compassionate, and supportive Father. I wish all little girls and girls that grow up to be women could say the same thing about their fathers. God bless you and your family.

• Sherry Joseph

05/02/2018 01:30 AM

I agree the comments made by the speaker at the WHCD were mean spirited; however I can understand the consensus behind many of her comments regarding the current administration's unethical practices and looseness with the truth. I did not take away from the comments that Michelle Wolf was attacking appearance..but more-so calling attention to the cover up, and the absence of the truth coming from the WH. I am often amazed at how Christian leaders are able to stand with a president that defies all moral standards under the disguise of 'Conservative' and spin in it as though it is following the teachings of Christ. We should demonstrate love towards everyone but stand up for what is right and not turn a blind eye to injustice no matter where it is coming from. I believe Christ should always come before any political party.

• Debra K Edge

05/02/2018 01:15 AM

I cannot express how repulsed I am by this "comedian." Nothing she said was entertaining or funny. To use entertainment under the guise of being a bully is repulsive. She is a hypocrite. The left women groups are all about fighting intimidating actions from men, yet women do this to other women. Sarah Huckabee Sanders was an example of class and restraint. She has proven to be an intelligent and lovely woman that exhibits an extreme amount of self-restraint. I cannot say I would have demonstrated her class during the "roasting." I've never heard of Michelle Wolf, so maybe she’s trying to make a name for herself. So, in addition to being repulsed by Michelle Wolf, I am repulsed by the White House Correspondent's event. This needs to be done away with.

• Laura Carlson

05/02/2018 12:52 AM

Governor, I met you many times in Iowa during both your campaigns and was one of the folks hanging around at many central Iowa events. I watched you with your daughter and granddaughter many many hours. Sarah is a wonderful mother who chooses to focus on God in her life and she learned that from her parents. Thank you for what you and Janet have done for our nation by raising a daughter of Jesus who serves in the White House.

• Patty Bennett

05/02/2018 12:40 AM

I'm so proud of your daughter! Sarah shows class. The contrast is amazing. She sets a great example of how people should act!
    Other people use obnoxious words, lies and insults when they fail at comedy. (what a pathetic waste)
    Sarah prays, and responds with virtue and dignity. That's REAL success! (Beautiful!)

• Shirley J Peterson

05/02/2018 12:38 AM

You and your amazing daughter, Sarah, are such special people and so admirable! Really class acts and I appreciate Sarah AND you, Mike!! Love your "shows" :) !!!!

• Debbie Hamelink

05/02/2018 12:37 AM

Your daughter was and is awesome! I know you are proud of her and you definitely should be... she is a force to be reckoned with, that's for sure! What the left-leaning media doesn't understand and can't seem to see is that hatefulness only shines a light back on the person delivering the diatribe of hate. Hate distorts the outside of a person just as much as it does the inside of the person... smiles never reach their eyes and the lines of the face harden robbing the skin of its vitality... I do feel sorry for them choosing a life that is so hopeless, joyless, and unlovely. In contrast, your lovely daughter, Sarah! Our family does pray for her, the President, Vice President, and every member of the President's staff and Cabinet. We especially pray Isaiah 54:17 over them all:
    "17. No weapon formed against you shall prosper,
    And every tongue which rises against you in judgment
    You shall condemn.
    This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord,
    And their righteousness is from Me,
    Says the Lord."

• Delcy Miller

05/02/2018 12:06 AM

You did a good job raising your daughter. She was outstanding.

• Lacey Thompson

05/02/2018 12:04 AM

I was disgusted and truly outraged at the treatment your beautiful- intelligent- amazing daughter had to sit through. But at the same time I could NOT be more proud of her and how she handled it all! What a classy lady the two of you raised!! And I am buying Candace's book and praying it helps me with handling this new "journalism" we have now in the USA. Thank you Sarah! Thank you Candace!

• Stacia Roble

05/02/2018 12:00 AM

Your daughter is the epitome of grace! As a Christian, she puts into practice the acronym WWJD. The woman "roasting" Sarah and the Left do indeed need all our prayers! Thanks, Mike, for raising such a wonderful daughter????

• Lynne Kaesemeyer

05/01/2018 11:58 PM

I love you Mike Huckabee?? for your Grace, loving kindness, swift rebuttals to those who choose to be evil and for your humor & your smile. I love Sarah too,
    She has your smile. She is a class act. I have supported you since your first run
    In politics, your run on Fox, and your second run for President. I hope you stay in the place you are now, bringing some sense to our desperate world. Your Spirituality is so badly needed now. Your wise words are listened to. God Bless you and your whole family????

• Dorothy shepherd

05/01/2018 11:44 PM

We love the Huckabees!! You raised one smart cookie!! She is amazing.
    Love from dr.and mrs. William shepherd in pine bluff

• Betty Holsen

05/01/2018 11:20 PM

You and your wife raised a beautiful, smart and classy daughter. No one has the right to abuse anyone the way Sarah was abused. But in the end, Sarah won by out classing this disgusting person.

• Deborah K Learn

05/01/2018 11:18 PM

It is such a disgrace that the WHCD allows such vile comments. What happened to treating people with decency? Sarah Sanders is doing an outstanding job as Press Secretary.

• Becky Shroff

05/01/2018 10:57 PM

Sarah is my hero! Such a great example for all women. So proud to have her standing strong at that podium.

• Vicki Buchanan

05/01/2018 10:54 PM

I am very proud of your daughter. My heart broke for her. And while she remained calm, composed, and an example of a righteous woman, I she'd the tears that had to have been fighting to get out. You, your wife, and God created a great woman. Prayers for peace and strength for her dealing with the evil and hated she has to endure daily.

• Suzie Umbel

05/01/2018 10:53 PM

I have been praying for Sarah and your family ever since I saw the crazy news. You raised a strong daughter of the King...and she didn't flinch because she knows that her Identity is in Christ. My heart broke for her as we all know that she exemplifies Grace under fire......God Bless you! Suzie

• maryann gray

05/01/2018 10:50 PM

I have read that some don't blame the comedian. They claim she was only doing her job. No sir. She was hired to be funny and make people laugh. She wasn't at all funny, she was disgusting and low life.Yes she needs our prayers. When it came to her description of abortion I actually came to tears.She was mean and cruel and heartless. I felt Jesus himself was crying too. There was nothing funny about it. I didn't understand nor did I want to understand anything she said about Sarah who remained full of grace. Just what was the purpose of this so called comedian. Nothing good was meant to come from her which is sad. Mark Z wants to be sure good things come from FB. He is working hard to turn around what has happened in the past. I hope our prayers can do this for this lady who really should follow your Sarah's lead. Thank you, MaryAnn Gray.

• Mae Fox

05/01/2018 10:20 PM

Kindness matters and is so needed in our world today where hate and the desire to destroy others seems to be on the rise - I’m ashamed of our liberals who seems to relish these attacks and shame on the media for endorsing it! Very proud of Sarah who conducts herself with a true Christian spirit setting examples for all of us :

• Mary Ann Hogue

05/01/2018 10:15 PM

For what it’s worth, I really love watching Sarah in front of the press. She is always kind & to the point & she controls the room. In my opinion, she is the best press secretary we have EVER had. She’s also beautiful. Hang in there Sarah. I’m proud of the way you handled yourself! You do it right everyday! We want to keep you. Don’t let this incident run you off the job. They wouldn’t be so nasty to you if you weren’t doing such a fantastic job!

• Sandra S Hall

05/01/2018 10:09 PM

Thank you for raising such a good Christian lady.... She is very much a mentor to so many... tell her I said to keep holding her head high and give it All to God. She is doing such a good job with so many throwing such harsh criticism her way. They are the devils children, the left, she knows this and good for her to keep hanging in there and being such a tough cookie., because she has God on her side, she will win every time. Tell her I said "Thank You for doing such an awesome job and love her and what she stands for!!!!!"

• Roslyn McNeer

05/01/2018 10:09 PM

Sarah is doing a remarkable job with this administration and so glad she's got you for a dad and supporter. Her intelligence is so evident with everything she says. AND......she looked beautiful that night!!

• Jean Van Dyken

05/01/2018 09:59 PM

I heard about this vicious attack from Franklin Graham on FB. I feel so sorry for Sarah and am praying for her. I knew she had a hard job but didn't realize the extent of it. I was wondering if you could refer me to a place where I can voice my disapproval of this outright attack on Sarah's integrity. I feel sorry for these people who live with such hate and bitterness in their lives. They need Jesus. Thank you.

• Judy Perry

05/01/2018 09:52 PM

I'm sure as a parent you can not be any prouder of your intelligent and beautiful daughter. I only know her as a representative of the White House, but I think she is a definite role model for any young lady. I can only hope and pray that my granddaughters would grow up to be half the woman your Sarah is.
    Please know that the majority of the American people value and appreciate the wonderful job she is doing. She is a strong woman and I look forward to the many other accomplishments Sarah will make. Please thank her for us.

• Jennifer L Ebener

05/01/2018 09:42 PM

Thank you for your well-written commentary...Now we know why/how the younger generation learns its behavior and why they feel it is acceptable. (And we wonder why bullying is so pervasive-look no further than some of the "adults.")...PS. We think your family is fantastic!

• Carol Marie Walker

05/01/2018 09:42 PM

I love Sarah. I totally agree that she showed class!!!
    We are so proud of her and she does a fantastic job for President Trump!

• Bonnie Reynolds

05/01/2018 09:40 PM

Been watching for your reaction to the WHCD and it was as I expected, to the point, but controlled, keeping your dignity. Sarah is lovely inside and out.

• Sharon Evans

05/01/2018 09:37 PM

I know you are proud of Sarah and so am I!

• Betty Thompson

05/01/2018 09:33 PM

I admire Sarah so much and try to never miss her news conferences. Also she looked beautiful in her blue dress.

• Mary Anne Keough

05/01/2018 09:30 PM

I have nothing but the highest praise for Sarah. She has class,charisma and is beautiful in my book. She is a real woman. I am very proud of her.

• Carol Marie Walker

05/01/2018 09:26 PM

I love Sarah. I totally agree that she showed class!!!
    We are so proud of her and she does a fantastic job for President Trump!

• Cynthia F. Kennedy

05/01/2018 09:23 PM

Dear Governor Huckabee,

Sarah looked so pretty on the evening of the awards. In fact, she looked beautiful! However, more important, is that she is also beautiful on the inside! What a lovely, intelligent, and kind woman she is! I am so proud of the way she handled herself that night, as well as the way she handles herself at the press conferences. You and Mrs. Huckabee have raised an incredible daughter. May God bless you and your family.

Cynthia Kennedy

• Susan LeCornu

05/01/2018 09:17 PM

SHS is a respect worthy, admirable, beautiful, graceful and strong woman. She is an example to younger women, and I gain encouragement from her handling of the press briefings. She is going down in history as helping this administration stay strong, real, and up front. Thank you SHS!

• Victoria Boozer

05/01/2018 09:13 PM

Very well said. I follow you and Sarah on Twitter. There are many of us who are appalled by this so called comedian. Nothing she said was funny. I like Sarah and thinks she's doing a great job as press secretary. Sarah showed remarkable strength and class. Please tell her there are many of us who support her and appreciate the job she's doing as WH Press Secretary!

• Nancy Patterson

05/01/2018 09:03 PM

Sarah has more beauty and class in her smallest finger than the foul mouthed hater ever could in her life time!! Thank you, Sarah, for showing the world what Real Femanity is.

• Kathleen Abel

05/01/2018 09:00 PM

Thank you for a sane, intelligent review of despicable behavior by and in the media. My prayer is that civility might return to the public forum in America.

April 30, 2018

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

OR IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO SEND ME A MESSAGE, GO HERE.

Two Major About-Faces

The Left Is Wildly Misinformed

New Study Compares Coverage Of Biden And Trump

• Dolores Mattingly

05/02/2018 09:29 AM

• Debra Callahan

05/02/2018 09:20 AM

• Kip Eubanks

05/02/2018 09:18 AM

Kip Eubanks U of A class of 84

• Debbie Leyhew

05/02/2018 09:16 AM

• Juanita Greene

05/02/2018 09:05 AM

Sarah has class and I very much like her press reports. Very smart lady!

• Deborah Greer

05/02/2018 09:02 AM

• RODNEY BENDIGO

05/02/2018 07:52 AM

Thank YOU for YOUR Service !

• Deanna Drab

You shall condemn.
    This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord,
    And their righteousness is from Me,
    Says the Lord."

• Delcy Miller

05/02/2018 12:06 AM

You did a good job raising your daughter. She was outstanding.

• Lacey Thompson

05/02/2018 12:04 AM

• Stacia Roble

05/02/2018 12:00 AM

• Lynne Kaesemeyer

05/01/2018 11:58 PM

• Dorothy shepherd

05/01/2018 11:44 PM

We love the Huckabees!! You raised one smart cookie!! She is amazing.
    Love from dr.and mrs. William shepherd in pine bluff

• Judy Perry

05/01/2018 09:52 PM

• Jennifer L Ebener

05/01/2018 09:42 PM

• Carol Marie Walker

05/01/2018 09:42 PM

I love Sarah. I totally agree that she showed class!!!
    We are so proud of her and she does a fantastic job for President Trump!

• Bonnie Reynolds

05/01/2018 09:40 PM

• Sharon Evans

05/01/2018 09:37 PM

I know you are proud of Sarah and so am I!

• Betty Thompson

05/01/2018 09:33 PM

• Mary Anne Keough

05/01/2018 09:30 PM

• Carol Marie Walker

05/01/2018 09:26 PM

I love Sarah. I totally agree that she showed class!!!
    We are so proud of her and she does a fantastic job for President Trump!

• Cynthia F. Kennedy