April 30, 2018

As you might expect, a lot of people are asking for my reaction to the foul-mouthed, unfunny and vitriolic “comedy” performance at Saturday’s White House Correspondents’ Dinner. I already said a little about it on Twitter, and you can read about that here:

I would like to add that I am extremely proud of my daughter Sarah for giving the people in that room a desperately-needed illustration of what true class and dignity look like by sitting stoically through a vicious personal attack. I also commend those from both conservative and liberal media outlets who condemned that embarrassing, tasteless assault masquerading as humor (it’s no surprise that the speaker came out of “Comedy” Central’s “Daily Show,” which has lost its senses of humor and fairness ever since Jon Stewart left and Trump was elected, and has infected all of late night TV with the idea that partisan hate speech = “comedy.”)

One of the more ridiculous epithets being hurled on social media is the left calling Republicans who are upset about this “snowflakes” who can’t take a joke. First of all, I didn’t hear much that I’d consider “jokes.” Secondly, snowflakes get that name because they’re so delicate, they melt when you barely touch them (like college students who need to flee to safe spaces when they hear an idea that challenges them.) Sarah learned early on that if she got into politics, she’d have to develop a thick skin and a spine of steel to deal with the unfair attacks, and she exhibited admirable strength and restraint.

The organizers of the WHCD are frantically trying to distance themselves from their speaker this morning, and predictably getting grief from the left, who think that any attack on those they disagree with is simply “free speech,” no matter how nasty or personal. Even the speaker herself is trying to claim she wasn’t really attacking anyone’s looks and the media misinterpreted her meaning (that’s the first laughable thing she’s said so far.) Please! The left always attacks conservative women’s looks, even those who could be (or were) beauty queens. Then they backtrack and hypocritically rationalize their sexist smears when they’re called on it.

They don’t seem to understand that the First Amendment provides protection from government censorship. It doesn’t shield you from criticism for saying foul and obnoxious things, nor does it protect you from the consequences of your speech in terms of popularity or employability. In other words, you have the right to say any vile thing that pops into your head, but intelligent, mature adults know that’s not always a good idea.

If any good comes of this embarrassing public spectacle, let’s hope this will the last WHCD – or at least, the last one where the theme is partisan rancor. The group claims the intention is not to divide and target people, but that seems to be the mission much of the media have adopted since 2016. As several pundits pointed out, they made it loud and clear to Americans outside the liberal media bubble that they are very partisan and as Sean Davis of The Federalist put it, “They hate you and want to control you.” Maybe this massive embarrassment and the well-deserved public condemnation that’s followed will finally shock them into doing some soul-searching over what they’ve become and how the public views them, and force them to ponder whether they’re living up to the ideals they mouth respect for.

It’s an interesting synchronicity that at the exact moment this repulsive hatefulness was going on in DC, TBN was airing my interview with Candace Cameron Bure. The former “Full House” star is TV-actress stunning, but even if she weren’t, she would still be beautiful because she radiates beauty from inside. Her love of Christ and her family and her fellow humans is evident in everything she does. She’d come to talk about her new book, “Kind Is The New Classy.” It’s a book about making the conscious choice to reject anger, hatred, bitterness and outrage and instead do something that’s genuinely radical and counter-cultural in today’s society: embrace kindness, forgiveness and respect for others. If you really want to be a “rebel,” why not try showing kindness and empathy instead of just parroting the same mindless hatred that everyone around you is repeating?

In the spirit of kindness, I’ve refrained from mentioning the name of the woman who gave that performance on Saturday. I will even pray for her, that she may see that anger and insults are not a good way to build a long-lasting career, and that ugliness is not something that’s visible on the outside, but something you carry inside.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

OR IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO SEND ME A MESSAGE, GO HERE.

Two Major About-Faces

The Left Is Wildly Misinformed

New Study Compares Coverage Of Biden And Trump

• Eva M. Cestari

05/01/2018 04:44 PM

Dear Mike, I'm sorry I waited to write to you about Sarah until this incident of her being so viciously attacked. I had wanted to write immediately after the first time I heard her speak at one of the WH press conferences. I literally started to cry because of the BEAUTY of the way she replied and handled herself so eloquently. It was a thing of joy to behold. She is brilliant, classy, and absolutely adept at that challenging job. It goes even deeper; to the "pureness" of her soul! I thought that God had chosen perfection for that role! These words are inadequate. Here is the thing Mike: I don't have time to write to her, so I am using your convenient forum to say this: PLEASE, PLEASE reinforce with Sarah that this is a crucial time for her; maybe a test so to speak. She must NOT lose heart and hope in any way, or succumb to any slight doubts about herself regarding her relevance or place. She must not miss a beat in any way, even though she must be enduring suffering at times in her role, and because of others' ongoing cruelty. Hopefully there is no need for worry on that score ... her own strong and well-ordered character, and her reliance on God's grace, will help her overcome bumps in the road and help her persevere. She is needed, and she is on the straight path. I know I am not alone in being so inspired and impressed by her. I am praying for her ... and for you as her dad, who is called to endure also.

• Helen Uvtroy

05/01/2018 04:35 PM

Hi Mike,

I supported your 2008 campaign and worked as a volunteer for you because I thought it would be a good thing to prioritize decency in the White House. I have to say, that I simply do not understand how you or anyone claiming to be conservative can support Mr. Trump, lying for him every single day, covering for his moral bankruptcy, all the while complaining that the left is the real moral problem in this nation. I agree that the comedian was vile in both word choice and subject matter in many cases. The abortion joke in particular was awful. But we can't in good conscience support a man like Donald Trump and then hypocritically chastise those who don't live up to the moral standards we would set for them.

Respectfully, I think both you and Sarah have made a Faustian bargain by treating morality as irrelevant when Trump is involved, and further, to lie for him. I'd like both of you to return to true conservatism which doesn't believe that the ends justify the means, but that our nation is raised up when our nation lives up to our highest ideals instead of our lowest common denominator. Trump is a cancer, a pig in the slop, and choosing to associate with him leaves you highly likely to end up dirty. While I felt painful second-hand embarrassment for Sarah last night, she is reaping what she sowed by associating herself with that man.

• Judy Chappell

05/01/2018 04:34 PM

Sarah is a class act and real lady. I don't know how she does what she does but I pray she can hold up and continue. You should definitely be proud of her. The liberal media and their ilk do not know what to do with her because they know she is smarter, wiser and classier than they are. She obviously had great parenting from you and your wife. She is a terrific role model for those who have sense enough to realize it.

• L M

05/01/2018 04:32 PM

As hard as it was for your beautiful daughter, I don't know as a parent, how you and your wife have managed. The restraint you both have shown is remarkable. Your daughter is one of the most beautiful, intelligent and kind women I know of, what a blessing you and your wife were given. I used to cringe at the press briefings with past gop administrations. Now I watch with enjoyment knowing no one is going to get anything over on our Sarah!

• Mary Schulke

05/01/2018 04:29 PM

I am so sorry that your daughter was subjected to such ridicule and I commend her strength to sit there with such dignity while such hateful things were being said. My husband and I admire her ability to lead White House press briefings so skillfully. I hope she knows how many ordinary citizens are routing for her continued service as White House Press Secretary.

• DT Smith

05/01/2018 04:27 PM

Among other reactions - I was thinking this is a mother - daughter and wife - who as already suffered the slings and arrows no other press secretary has had to endure. Now the WHCD. We are all so proud of Sarah. God Bless.

• CARMEN PRICE

05/01/2018 04:23 PM

Governor
    I give Sarah 5 stars, there were several who were so appalled that they actually walked out, she turned her cheek and sat through
    it all. You raised a great lady.
    I watched the President's speech which was pure Americana!
    hugs
    Carmen Price

• Carmon Middleton

05/01/2018 04:21 PM

?Sarah! Awesome lady!

• Donna Johnson

05/01/2018 04:20 PM

Always so proud of the job your daughter is doing, she is a fine patriot and a beautiful example for young women to follow. The events of the dinner were purely leftist vitriol and I found myself wondering why your daughter would need to be subjected to that. She held her head high through it all and the so called comedienne looked like a sad clown while Sarah looked like the classy lady that she is. God bless your family and thank your daughter for her service to this country. It's not lost on the true and average American patriot.

• Becky Mayer

05/01/2018 04:19 PM

Mike,
    First and foremost I would like to thank you and your wife for raising such a beautiful and gracious woman. I would assume the rest of your family are wonderful as well. Praise God! Please let Sarah know that we love her. From the first time I watched her - I said "That is one tough cookie and she is amazing!" I pray that God will continue to give her strength and wisdom in such a vicious circle. She is blessing in lives that she doesn't know about and we need more Godly people in Washington.
    Please thank her for her service to this country. I watched your show for the first time with Candace (only saw part of it) and I thought it was great!
    May God bless you and your family and keep up the good work!
    Becky

• Gayle Leavitt

05/01/2018 04:16 PM

I did not watch the WHCD but instead watched President Trump's Rally. Later I saw a clip of the WHCD in passing .... it happened to be a clip of Sarah and my thought was ,,,, WOW she looks beautiful! The thought passed that she looked like Linda Carter past SUPERWOMAN! Later when I heard about the content of that dinner it sickened me. The so-called comic was so disgusting! Sarah is beautiful, intelligent and a superwoman to handle that job with such strength and dignity. You must be so proud. Love watching Sarah in her news conferences.

• Marshall Ernst

05/01/2018 04:14 PM

Your daughter is an amazing person! I am so glad that she represents our President in such a dignified and intelligent fashion at every briefing she does or interview she holds. My wife and I both support her and absolutely despise that woman that is cast as a comedian and anyone on the left that she associates with.

Please pass our sincere thanks to Sara for the outstanding job she is doing and please have her send me a pie!

• LINDA LOUISE CHAPMAN

05/01/2018 04:12 PM

I am very saddened by the vicious attack on your daughter Sarah. I have admired and listened to her ever since she became press secretary. She does an excellent job and I say, "You go girl".
    I would like to say this to her personally but don't know how to reach her. Please pass it on.
    One other thing about the speaker and her remarks about abortion. I was sickened by them and God must be so sad!

• Dr. James Wiest, MS, DVM

05/01/2018 04:12 PM

As a father you should be proud of your intelligent and strong daughter. As a man of faith it is inspiring that you can still find the strength to pray for the individual that spews such hate. God Bless you and your family. Oh and BTW you had my vote!

Dr. Jim

• Bob Motensen

05/01/2018 04:09 PM

Class lady. Love to watch her work. Smart, well informed. A tough cookie. Seems like a very nice lady. I’m glad she’s there for us.

• Jean Young

05/01/2018 04:08 PM

So proud of Sarah! She is truly a class act. Her gracious behavior will long be remembered!

• Sandra Parrott

05/01/2018 04:07 PM

As much as that woman demonstrated the vile, disgusting hatred of those on the left, Sarah demonstrated grace and dignity under fire. She made (and always makes) me proud of her, the way we raise our kids in the South) to be able to demonstrate our values in the face of deliberate cruelty in an attempt to cause her to behave as badly as they do. You have every right to be proud of your daughter......we are!!!

• Dennise Johnston

05/01/2018 04:01 PM

you and your daughter both come from the same cloth! cloth full of dignity and grace and you both understand respect. I didn’t watch the White House correspondents dinner I watched President Trumps rally and obviously it was the better of the two choices but what they did to Sarah is despicable and there is a very special place in hell for that so called comic ??????

• Judy Swisher Nunez

05/01/2018 03:56 PM

Sarah is such a lady and you every right to be proud of her. She was poised and acted like a wonderful professional. She is doing a great job and continues to show that her upbringing was fantastic. She has nerves of steel and is quick on her feet to answer some of the really stupid and tricky questions of the press corp at the White House. We love her and continue to pray for her and her family.

• Ruth Lilley

05/01/2018 03:56 PM

Where were the news people at this dinner and journalists? All I saw were bullies and cowards,I would have stood up and yelled out to stop this disgusting display ,if this was a school Iwould have expelled all of them.We teach children to not be a bully and here you have so called adults who are doing this.Trust me,ask my husband ,I would have stood up in front of all of them and told them off in no uncertain term s, Iwould have brought them to their knees.

• Margaret Alexander Tonkin

05/01/2018 03:54 PM

I was very proud of Sarah. She exuded professional behavior. The speaker was a sad embarrassment to all.

• KAREN JOSEPH

05/01/2018 03:53 PM

Sarah couldn't have handled the situation any better if she tried. Her silence - as the classless comedian threw insults at her - made the comedian look like a total moron. Sarah single-handedly exposed the hypocrisy and viciousness of the left without having to say a word. What an amazing woman. I wouldn't have been able to withstand one minute of what she had to endure.

• KATHY JOSEPH

05/01/2018 03:51 PM

• Patricia A. McMahon

05/01/2018 03:51 PM

The rancor of that 'comedy routine' was only exceeded by that ear splitting voice of the
    comedian. I didn't watch the event. Wouldn't waste my time. I heard that voice every time
    Monday night that Fox News commentators brought it up. My heaven's! That women's
    voice was like nails on a chalk board. It made me cringe each time I heard it. Eventually,
    I fast forwarded the program each time her

her voice came on. Hope Fox News just ignores her so called comedy routine.
    No coverage - no fulfilling her desire to be famous or infamous.

• Janet Burton

05/01/2018 03:50 PM

I don't comment on very many things , but I need to on this . I am so tired of the left and their thinking . I must say you have a daughter to be so very proud of. Sarah is a beautiful , very classy very very admirable young woman . I for one am happy to see her exactly where she is. She is a great asset to the white house and for the American people .

• KATHY JOSEPH

05/01/2018 03:50 PM

• Judy Dianne Schmieder

05/01/2018 03:50 PM

I am so proud of Sarah!!! She is so beautiful and now even more so with the dignified way she handled that terrible filth laden mess . We love her and are so thankful she is such a nature, beautiful sweet person. God bless her and your whole family <3

• Laura Schur

05/01/2018 03:45 PM

I am so proud of your daughter, Sarah, so I can only imagine how proud you are as her father! As a parent, it is hard to watch when hateful people do such awful things directed at your children. Sarah is beautiful inside and outside. She is the best WH Press Secretary I have ever seen. She handles herself so well with the press, and does it using the facts. She is such an asset to President Trump and his administration. She has so much wisdom and knowledge. I wish I could tell her in person how wonderful I think she is...I have tweeted her a few times to tell her what a great job she is doing. If Sarah was running for President, I would vote for her!! I believe that God put her in this job for a reason, and I believe with all my heart that she will be rewarded one day in Heaven with Jesus for standing up for the truth, and handling things like this with such class and setting an example for all to see. I respect her so much. You and your wife raised a wonderful young lady. I will continue praying for Sarah and all your family, and also our President and our country.

• Ramona Mix

05/01/2018 03:40 PM

I have always thought Sarah was a classy lady and she exhibited that quality in large measure Saturday night. One of the things I find the most awe inspiring about her is her ability to think so quickly on her feet. If I had her job, I would sputter and spit and say things out of emotion and ignorance. She handles the press with quick thinking, diplomatic answers, and straight forward information. She never allows them to back her into a corner or needle her into saying something out of frustration or emotion. I think she is a credit to all women, and especially women of faith. I am sure your are very proud of her, as you have every reason to be so.

• Jacqueline Myers

05/01/2018 03:36 PM

I only watched the short segment that was posted on Twitter. That was more than my stomach could handle. All I could think of was the stark difference between a truly classy, beautiful woman of God that was brought up with Love and taught respect and one who ... shall we just say ... wasn't. You must be incredibly proud of her. I am, too!

• Cathy Glowacz

05/01/2018 03:36 PM

Dear Mike,
    Your beautiful daughter, Sarah is light unto my soul, having her in the White House and President Trump's spokesperson gives me hope that our government is trying hard to do what is good, to do what is right. I would be proud to call her my daughter. All the years that obama was in office I could never watch that administration's lies plastered on the news. But I know that when I see Sarah I will hear as much of the truth as she is allowed to give us!!
    By His Grace,
    Cathy

• Irene Moran

05/01/2018 03:35 PM

"(Thank You & Your Wife)" for raising such a "precious" & "strong" & "BEAUTIFU Daughter," "Sarah!" God Bless Sarah & her Family & God Bless You & Your Wife Gov. Huckabee!??????????????

• Sandra Fischer

05/01/2018 03:32 PM

Sarah Sanders conducted herself in an admirable manner despite the verbal onslaught couched as "jokes". She also handles herself admirably in fielding attacks on the President from those who have forsaken true journalism and appear to be "left lackeys" without any sense or propriety. I pray Sarah will continue to conduct herself with dignity and resolve. I recall another who chose to be silent under attack long ago. . .to follow His path and example will honor Him as well.

• Charles Eyster

05/01/2018 03:32 PM

Having class, dignity, and a spine. You have good reason to be proud of Sarah.

• Berta Conkle

05/01/2018 03:27 PM

Sarah is much admired by everyone I know. I am truly shocked and saddened by what so many women do and say. Sarah is a breath of fresh air.

• Alison Bell

05/01/2018 03:21 PM

I was also struck by the "coincidence" of the segment on Kindness occurring at the same time as the complete opposite was happening to your beloved daughter. She sat there, not 5 feet away from a wicked person spewing hatespeech and did exactly as Jesus did, turning the other cheek. (I would have been bawling.) She is not only brave and strong, but Christlike and confident. You raised a wonderful example to all women and young ladies out there-someone to admire. She was precious reading the Easter story on the White House lawn, and she was fearless facing that ugly monster in the dining room. I was happy to hear that she is handling is well. It made me sick inside. I think the real losers in this whole affair are the American people who have to endure listening to this kind of "news" each day when we wake up. What a sorry place we are in. May the LORD bless you and your whole family.

• Barbara Timmerman

05/01/2018 03:20 PM

My heart goes out to your daughter Sarah. That she should be up in front and have that vitriol spewed her way was simply unforgivable. I admire her ability to "take it" and appear above it. What a class act. I would be proud to call her my daughter!

• Merle Frances Douglas

05/01/2018 03:20 PM

We encourage our children not to bully, but apparently that doesn't apply to adults.

• Candi Kirkes

05/01/2018 03:19 PM

I love that Sarah is such a classy woman in a time when women are going out of their way to be trashy am offensive.

• Kathleen Cherwien

05/01/2018 03:18 PM

You have raised a beautiful daughter inside and out. Smart, Strong and I think she is doing a fantastic job at the white house. God Bless her everyday and your family too. Stay Strong.

• Marcia O Jovel

05/01/2018 03:14 PM

The liberal media's "contribution" to our country, as shown at this "dinner" is the reason of the hate and division that continues in the U.S. And, how hypocritical that these are the same people who question themselves about "what is wrong with America today!"
    My answer is: you liberal media who have reached the pinnacle of low standards in this American nation.
    I praise Sarah for not walking out of this charade. She's a tough woman who is not afraid to face hate. The organizers of this event should apologize and start rebuilding the trust of the American people so that we can start believing in their news or stop this so-called "dinner" which, with the passing of the years, looks more like a 3 ring circle of hate, hypochresy and lowest standard of what use to be "journalism."

• R Arterbury

05/01/2018 03:10 PM

Governor Huckabee, my husband and I absolutely love your beautiful, smart and classy daughter. So proud of how she conducts herself on the platform of influence she’s been given. Well done, Sarah!

• Robbie Mize

05/01/2018 02:56 PM

Sarah was what all of aspire to be on that ugly night. She did it right. She was classy, beautiful, and I am betting that they had counted on her walking out. Oh, how she spoiled their plans! She will be remembered much longer than the other woman whose name I have already chosen to forget!

• Kathy Hess

05/01/2018 02:51 PM

God bless you and your precious daughter!! Thank you for the grace and forgiveness you both exhibit. As her Dad, it had to be hard to watch but you taught her well in the ways of the Lord. It angered me and broke my heart being words for you all and really for all of us, America. I know it has to grieve our Lord and Savior. Thank you again for your example of Jesus love for us all!! You go Sarah!!! What a beautiful woman of God you are!!!!!

• Charles Mathews

05/01/2018 02:49 PM

Mr. and Mrs. Huckabee, you should be proud of yourselves, and especially proud of your daughter, you have raised her to be a fine person and I am proud to call her the Nations finest Press Secretary !!!

• Joyce Fletcher

05/01/2018 02:49 PM

Good job, Papa Bear! From a Momma Bear who would have done the same! Our kids are worth standing up for! We love Sarah! She is doing a fabulous job!

• Carolyn Caylor

05/01/2018 02:49 PM

Your daughter is so wonderful at what she does, a classy young woman. Your family is a the example of Christ that we need i this world. Thank you for that.

• Brenda Markle

05/01/2018 02:48 PM

I am sitting here waiting for today’s WHBriefing. I love to watch your daughter handle the press professionally and with great humor - does she get her sense of humor from you? Sarah Sanders looked beautiful last Saturday night and handled the personal attacks very graciously. I am thinking she probably liked the comment about the baseball game and little Jimmmy A.!

• Carole Rebich

05/01/2018 02:46 PM

I am so grateful that President Trump did not attend that dinner. As equally important, I am so proud of Sarah. Watching the "news" clips, my heart ached for her. I was waiting for her to cry. That WOLF needs a good case of Jesus. Sarah is a fine woman, and makes me proud. You did a wonderful job instilling important attributes in her as she grew up. Thank-you for that, and for your boldness as a follower of Jesus Christ!
    Carole Rebich

• Carol Stysiack

05/01/2018 02:38 PM

Miss Wolf has demonstrated the new low the left has sunk by her hate fueled intollerant so called comic act. It wasn't funny, in fact it was disgusting. Gov. Huckabee's daughter, Sarah H. Sanders, exhibited grace, true class, and elegance to sit through the mean girl's ( Wolf's), rant. Wolf is pathetic. I was especially appalled at her mocking pro lifers for believing that abortion is murder. News alert, abortion IS Murder. The science is definitive on that issue. Then Wolf went on to say, try it. I was horrified at that. All I could think of are those poor infants.
    Miss Wolf owes Sarah H. Sanders an apology for the classless insults hurled at her, as well as to the rest of the people in that room. Jesus says, " Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you". Quite simple really, if only everyone would adhere to that command. By the way, Sarah Sanders looked beautiful and radiant!

April 30, 2018

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

OR IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO SEND ME A MESSAGE, GO HERE.

Two Major About-Faces

05/01/2018 04:29 PM

• DT Smith

05/01/2018 04:27 PM

• CARMEN PRICE

05/01/2018 04:23 PM

Governor
    it all. You raised a great lady.
    I watched the President's speech which was pure Americana!
    hugs
    Carmen Price

• Carmon Middleton

05/01/2018 04:21 PM

?Sarah! Awesome lady!

• Donna Johnson

05/01/2018 04:20 PM

• Becky Mayer

05/01/2018 04:19 PM

Mike,
    May God bless you and your family and keep up the good work!
    Becky

05/01/2018 03:53 PM

• KATHY JOSEPH

05/01/2018 03:51 PM

• Patricia A. McMahon

05/01/2018 03:51 PM

I fast forwarded the program each time her

her voice came on. Hope Fox News just ignores her so called comedy routine.
    No coverage - no fulfilling her desire to be famous or infamous.

• Janet Burton

• Irene Moran

05/01/2018 03:35 PM

• Sandra Fischer

05/01/2018 03:32 PM

• Charles Eyster

05/01/2018 03:32 PM

Having class, dignity, and a spine. You have good reason to be proud of Sarah.

• Berta Conkle