April 30, 2018

As you might expect, a lot of people are asking for my reaction to the foul-mouthed, unfunny and vitriolic “comedy” performance at Saturday’s White House Correspondents’ Dinner. I already said a little about it on Twitter, and you can read about that here:

I would like to add that I am extremely proud of my daughter Sarah for giving the people in that room a desperately-needed illustration of what true class and dignity look like by sitting stoically through a vicious personal attack. I also commend those from both conservative and liberal media outlets who condemned that embarrassing, tasteless assault masquerading as humor (it’s no surprise that the speaker came out of “Comedy” Central’s “Daily Show,” which has lost its senses of humor and fairness ever since Jon Stewart left and Trump was elected, and has infected all of late night TV with the idea that partisan hate speech = “comedy.”)

One of the more ridiculous epithets being hurled on social media is the left calling Republicans who are upset about this “snowflakes” who can’t take a joke. First of all, I didn’t hear much that I’d consider “jokes.” Secondly, snowflakes get that name because they’re so delicate, they melt when you barely touch them (like college students who need to flee to safe spaces when they hear an idea that challenges them.) Sarah learned early on that if she got into politics, she’d have to develop a thick skin and a spine of steel to deal with the unfair attacks, and she exhibited admirable strength and restraint.

The organizers of the WHCD are frantically trying to distance themselves from their speaker this morning, and predictably getting grief from the left, who think that any attack on those they disagree with is simply “free speech,” no matter how nasty or personal. Even the speaker herself is trying to claim she wasn’t really attacking anyone’s looks and the media misinterpreted her meaning (that’s the first laughable thing she’s said so far.) Please! The left always attacks conservative women’s looks, even those who could be (or were) beauty queens. Then they backtrack and hypocritically rationalize their sexist smears when they’re called on it.

They don’t seem to understand that the First Amendment provides protection from government censorship. It doesn’t shield you from criticism for saying foul and obnoxious things, nor does it protect you from the consequences of your speech in terms of popularity or employability. In other words, you have the right to say any vile thing that pops into your head, but intelligent, mature adults know that’s not always a good idea.

If any good comes of this embarrassing public spectacle, let’s hope this will the last WHCD – or at least, the last one where the theme is partisan rancor. The group claims the intention is not to divide and target people, but that seems to be the mission much of the media have adopted since 2016. As several pundits pointed out, they made it loud and clear to Americans outside the liberal media bubble that they are very partisan and as Sean Davis of The Federalist put it, “They hate you and want to control you.” Maybe this massive embarrassment and the well-deserved public condemnation that’s followed will finally shock them into doing some soul-searching over what they’ve become and how the public views them, and force them to ponder whether they’re living up to the ideals they mouth respect for.

It’s an interesting synchronicity that at the exact moment this repulsive hatefulness was going on in DC, TBN was airing my interview with Candace Cameron Bure. The former “Full House” star is TV-actress stunning, but even if she weren’t, she would still be beautiful because she radiates beauty from inside. Her love of Christ and her family and her fellow humans is evident in everything she does. She’d come to talk about her new book, “Kind Is The New Classy.” It’s a book about making the conscious choice to reject anger, hatred, bitterness and outrage and instead do something that’s genuinely radical and counter-cultural in today’s society: embrace kindness, forgiveness and respect for others. If you really want to be a “rebel,” why not try showing kindness and empathy instead of just parroting the same mindless hatred that everyone around you is repeating?

In the spirit of kindness, I’ve refrained from mentioning the name of the woman who gave that performance on Saturday. I will even pray for her, that she may see that anger and insults are not a good way to build a long-lasting career, and that ugliness is not something that’s visible on the outside, but something you carry inside.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

OR IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO SEND ME A MESSAGE, GO HERE.

• Nancy Shea

05/01/2018 02:34 PM

Bravo, Sarah! You are a class act! And so is your dad.

• sharon underwood

05/01/2018 02:30 PM

I usually don't comment on these public posts but I did on the one showing the video of your daughter at the WHCD. I couldn't help think of Jesus being led to the cross enduring the insults as he went. The dignity and restraint your daughter displayed brought tears to my eyes. God bless her and your entire family.

• April Featherkile

05/01/2018 02:24 PM

Governor,
    You must be very proud of your daughter and kudos to how you raised her . She is the personification of grace under pressure, a lady and a tribute to you and your wife. We are so fortunate to have her working for the president. I feel like she can be trusted and is not a megaphone for lies. Thank you.

• Carolyn Knight

05/01/2018 02:21 PM

Gov. Huckabee, you have a very beautiful daughter. It says so much about her character that she sat and listened to that without changing the expression on her face. I'm sure you and you were wife were heartbroken to hear such vile things said about your child. I'm proud of the job she does and the way she represents herself and the White House!

• Sharon Zolna

05/01/2018 02:19 PM

Your daughter is not only the best press secretary I've seen in a long time but she is a classy lady. She was poised and full of God's Grace as she sat there being attacked ked. She is quite a lady!

• Debra Trinchini

05/01/2018 02:17 PM

Dear Gov. Huckabee: I can see you and your wife raised your daughter Sarah to be Strong; and now D.C. is making her "DC STRONG"! Please tell her she's not alone; I'm another one who was "vilified" by the Saul Alinsky crowd, while working for the County govt. (for a long time). I was watching Your show and I saw Candace Cameron Bure on there; very impressed with the dialogue about "kindness"; God has been teaching me about that lately; from FB I printed out a poster that states: "Be Kind even to mean people"; and also learning to be sure and pray for people - even mean people (maybe especially for mean people), and I let them know in a kind way, like you do, that I'm praying for them. I thank God for you & your family and for our Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ!...Deb from So. CA, USA

• Deborah Hafer

05/01/2018 02:16 PM

U do indeed have much 2 b proud of in Sarah. Not only is she lovely but does an excellent job in a very tough arena. She gives her children an example in which 2 b exceedingly proud. When God's children r falsely attacked, Jesus is our champion & does battle on our behalf & vindicates us. Blessings!

• Babs Combs

05/01/2018 02:16 PM

Mike and Sarah, so thankful for you and Sarah! God has put you both in special places and given you voice to DISPLAY and speak His wisdom, stature and beauty!!! I pray that He will encourage and bless you, increase favor with God and man! Every room you walk into is brighter because you are there ... such sparkles for Jesus you are. Keep up the good work! Sarah I am soooo sorry for what you had to walk through but you did it with the graciousness of a princess which you are. You are a mighty woman I believe, very special! I pray that the purposes and plans that God has for you will be fulfilled, you will not grow weary or down trodden, keep your head up! You are beautiful and wonderfully made physically as well as spiritually! Loved your hair and dress at the dinner ... you looked beautiful!!! Blessings to you and your family! You have my support and prayers!

• Lynn Morgan

05/01/2018 02:15 PM

It seems that hate and violence to censer is all these unknowing (and I hate using the word) fools want, while saying peace. I am shamed at the education our kids are receiving and hurt at the direction my loved nation is heading. I await His return but have no intention of being forced to be like them. Come Lord come

• Linda Radosevich

05/01/2018 02:15 PM

Sarah showed grace under fire! You and her mother have taught her well, and you all have so much to be proud of! Sarah is my hero!

• Terry Brazell

05/01/2018 02:14 PM

I applaud Sarah’s grace, class and beauty. She acted like a true Southern lady. I have long applauded her intelligence and class.
    I’m so sorry there are hateful people out there who weren’t brought up with the manners she displays.
    Keep it up Sarah! Our household is behind you all the way!!

• Michael Steenstra

05/01/2018 02:12 PM

Hello Governor Huckabee
    My first time leaving a comment for you and even though I have not heard what this Michelle Woolf's comments were, it is very obvious from just the headlines, that it was not good at all. To attack your daughter like this , is as what you would say, "Just plain wrong". I am a father and a grandfather with both daughters and granddaughters and I know it has to bother you. It would me! As a side note: your daughter handles her job very well, especially under the circumstances she has to go through with the biased press and she is a fine looking lady too. Just my two cents for you.
    Take care
    Michael Steenstra

• eileen burley

05/01/2018 02:11 PM

Teasing is one thing and malicious comments are another. I am so proud of Sara. She is a wonderful role model to young women and girls and an inspiration to us older girls. She is one smart, beautiful, women.

• Charles Spangler

05/01/2018 02:10 PM

I was personally sickened to watch what Sarah was enduring at the WHCD. I was so proud of her! She clearly takes after her dad! Sarah is the best White House spokesperson I can remember. Please pass along my best to her. She is awesome!

• Stephen Lentz

05/01/2018 02:08 PM

Unfortunately the lib turds will never change except they will get worse. The REAL sad part is 50% of the "people" in this country agree with the jackasses

• Ramon Turk Roman

05/01/2018 02:07 PM

Your writings show a worthy parental pride, Sarah deserves all our respect for the way she behaved under this undeserved and vicious attack from the "comedian" at the White House dinner !!! It is a tribute to both of you and again you received the well deserved admira-
    tion of the American people. You also showed me that my money was not donated ill-advisedly when I contributed to your presidential campaign.You truly are a gifted, intelligent political analysist [plus a good Christian]. It is a tribute to you and Sarah that both of you
    command the admiration of American people, please keep up the good work. We need a lot more like you

• Melissa Tyndall

05/01/2018 02:07 PM

Sarah is a gracious beautiful woman. I so admire her strength and tenacity. I bet she gets some of that from her Dad. :) Too bad those who are so viciously attacking her don't recognize how ugly their venomous talk makes them appear.
    Well done as always Sarah! Keep your chin up-

• Richard Aycock

05/01/2018 02:05 PM

Mike....I've been a long time fan of yours. Your Christian conservative views, and your wit, are so much appreciated....you make me laugh !
    As for your daughter Sarah....how proud you must be. I've been a fan of hers since the beginning of the Trump administration. She handles herself with grace and aplomb on the evening news. She also handles herself beautifully in every press conference....with loads of class ! I appreciate the way she supports her President, and the way she stands up to those liberal journalists and reporters. This lady does her homework. May God bless her, her family, and you....

Sincerely....Richard

• Cyndy Kister

05/01/2018 02:05 PM

I couldn't agree with your article more.
    Listening to the program, I was embarrassed.

• Sandra Gilbert

05/01/2018 02:03 PM

Sarah represents all the refinement of a lady, one, that young girls should strive to become. She's beautiful on the outside & much more beautiful on the inside. Watching her during the attack was priceless-she was"bullet proof" in her reaction & yet continued to sit there with the grace of a lady. Loved her dress, her hair style, her dignity. Thank you for all you do Sarah, you are much appreciated.

• mary keller

05/01/2018 02:02 PM

You have every right to be proud of your daughter, Sarah. I am too! She is doing a wonderful job, everyday.

• Judy Levin

05/01/2018 02:01 PM

Sarah Sanders is a beautiful role model for my daughter and granddaughter. It's easy to see why you are so proud of her. I admire her strength, beauty and faith.

• LORIE DAVIS

05/01/2018 02:01 PM

Your daughter Sarah rocks! She does an outstanding job. Her dignity & class shown brighter than the heavens during that dinner. She looked gorgeous ??

• Charles Upton

05/01/2018 02:00 PM

The Media and entertainers have forgotten one simple thing about the American people, and that is we don't like them picking on our darlings. We view them as rude, crude, and very unacceptable and we have turned against them. We now view CNN Turk and CNN in the same light...as communist enablers and that's no longer acceptable also MSNBC, and CBS, to us we don't even watch their views anymore. The people have started a new way of voting for our elected officials (Meaning Congress) we vote anyone out that has had 3 terms in the senate and 12 in the House. We no longer want career politicians anymore, their experience has only shown that they want power and that's why Donald Trump is in office.

• JANE LANGLEY

05/01/2018 02:00 PM

I know Sarah is strong, but I am so sorry she had to endure what she did. Even though she is grown, she still needs your strength to carry her through.

• Mary Clary

05/01/2018 01:59 PM

Love Sarah she is such a classy lady . She's beautiful inside and out and does an amazing job with the press. Always lifting her up in prayer. Thank you Sarah.

• Louann Yordy

05/01/2018 01:59 PM

Not only an attack on women but Christians. She looked so beautiful on the outside but she is more beautiful on the inside.

• Louann Yordy

05/01/2018 01:57 PM

• Anne. Turner

05/01/2018 01:55 PM

I already sent you note expressing my outrage at the shameful attack on Sarah. Frankly, she looked absolutely smashing at the dinner. One cannot sAy that about the speaker who thought she was funny. Not even close by a long shot. Aside from the remarks about Sarah, the references about male anatomy were in such low taste, it was equally disgusting. Also, The ending four letter word is so over used in today’s society it is terribly trite. I watched the video and there was not a funny line anywhere. How embarrassing for the press.

• Gloria Grace Prosper

05/01/2018 01:54 PM

Shalom, Mike, I saw a bit of that rant to which you refer. I also saw a quick camera shot, tsken during that evil attack, of your beautifully composed and serene daughter. I normally avoid watching the “antics of the left”. I don’t care to be mentally, emotionally and spiritually slimed. However, I was struck by Sarah’s composure. In my worship community, we speak of and celebrate a “Proverbs 31 Woman”. Sarah is such a woman. She admirably exhibited maturity, elegance and class...not to mention restraint! She is a true model to be emulated of an “empowered woman”. Kudos to her! Please pass this on to her. Thank you.

• Ilean Taylor

05/01/2018 01:54 PM

The "comedian's" entire presentation was despicable and a "joke" itself. Where did she come from? Has our country come to this? It was actually vulgar!!!! I think not only should she wash her mouth out with soap but she she ask the Lord for forgiveness, repent of her sins and become a Christian. Her past needs to pass and be forgotten forever!!!

I'm a minister and I believe your daughter handled herself better than I probably would have. Talking about turning the other cheek: very classy and Christian-like. Kudos to Sarah!!!!

• Anne. Turner

05/01/2018 01:54 PM

• sharon ruetz

05/01/2018 01:46 PM

The reason Sarah is so viciously attacked is because she does such a fine job.

• Linda Rouse

05/01/2018 01:46 PM

Mike,

You have a smart beautiful daughter. Someone to be proud of for sure. Tell Sarah she is great.

• Glenn Terrell

05/01/2018 01:41 PM

You've done a great job raising her, Governor. I'm proud of the both of you and enjoy hearing you both on TV.

• PAT BARILOW

05/01/2018 01:39 PM

I, along with many others, are getting sick and tired of these so called comedians. Give me Jack Benny, Red Skelton, and Bob Hope to name a few. I consider the ones we have out there today are nothing but BULLIES. We are trying to stop the bullying that goes on in the schools and these clowns are showing everyone how to bully. I have given up on any of the late night shows. I did not like Obama, but I respected the office of President. These clowns think they are being funny, but they aren't. Jimmy Kimmel leads the pack....won't even turn him on anymore. Come 10:30 and it is Netflix time.

Your daughter is an amazing woman. I love the job she is doing and I feel horrible that she had to sit and listen to that "person"....because she certainly wasn't a comedian.

• Robert Abel

05/01/2018 01:34 PM

You and Sarah are pure class. Enough said.

• Traci Reid

05/01/2018 01:34 PM

You should be very proud of your awesome daughter! Nerves of steel, heart of gold! Glad she is on our side :)

• Betty Moore

05/01/2018 01:34 PM

I don't know how anyone can vote for a Democrat - they are the trash of America with so much
    hate in them. I love listening to Sara when she is on TV and she is a very beautiful girl and very
    smart. I can't even imagine how your wife must feel after listening to this garbage - I pray every
    day to destroy the liberal progressive socialist Democratic party and the Communist news media
    and hollywood idiots. God Bless you and your family.

• Nicki Watts

05/01/2018 01:31 PM

Dear Governor Huckabee

I too was so proud of the way your beautiful classy daughter handled the evening. I know you are beaming and you should be. May the Lord continue to give her the strength she needs each day to handle the classless and out of line mainstream media.

God bless you and your family!

Nicki in Kentucky.

• Ronald Welch Sr.

05/01/2018 01:28 PM

I have followed politics for many years, and without question Sarah is the very best press sec. I have seen or heard. Given she is dealing with the most hostile, ignorant press core ever, that statement is even more weighty. God bless Sarah!

• Jo Ann Jarvis

05/01/2018 01:26 PM

I love the way Sarah handles herself with the daily press briefing...she is classy and has always has the right way of handling that group. I did not watch the WHCD, didn't last year as well. The jokes are no longer funny. I did however she clips on the FIVE yesterday. Your daughter was a class act! She handles herself win poise and grace. I know you are proud of her

• Kaye Burke

05/01/2018 01:25 PM

I too applaud Sarah for her grace and poise.
    I continue to be appalled at vicious attacks on anyone in public or private. Defamation of character, bullying, insensitive, rude, no conscious. And people wonder WHY some of our young people act the way they do. They see it by adults who should know much better. Disgusting and sick. We rarely watch news anymore. I still pray for Mr Trump and all of you leaders

• Barbara Hemphill

05/01/2018 01:25 PM

Your daughter is a true inspiration and honors the Godly principles you have role modeled. I pray that God will give her the strength and wisdom to continue the unending battle.

• D. Floyd

05/01/2018 01:24 PM

As usual, your daughter, and you are a class act!

• Rebecca Deaton

05/01/2018 01:24 PM

I don't normally leave comments, but felt compelled to this time. I love Sarah Huckabee Sanders and am so proud to have her represent conservative women to our nation and the world. She's smart, funny, and doesn't cow to the media bullies. And she's beautiful both inside and out! I get most of my news from articles rather than T.V. or video, but everytime I come across a video of Sarah, I take a moment to watch it because I love to hear what she has to say. She has class which is WAY more than I can say for anyone hurling vicious, hateful and very untrue attacks at her under the guise of a "joke."

• James T Bryson

05/01/2018 01:22 PM

Dear Gov. Huckabee,
    Thank you and your superbly accomplished daughter, Sarah, for standing tall for the right stuff.
    You both know who you are dealing with and YOU hold the high ground.
    Very respectfully,
    James T Bryson CDR USN (Ret.)

• Marion Forston

05/01/2018 01:15 PM

Your daughter is a rock star. I can't remember the last time we had a White House Press Secretary that I actually admired. Your daughter is a role model. Also, as a dad to two daughters I can't imagine the pain and anger you must be dealing with. Please know that my wife and I pray for our leaders, your daughter, and you. May God bless you and your family.

• Darlene Anderson

05/01/2018 01:14 PM

Your godly parenting skills and Sarah's faith in God have helped her becone the woman she is today.
    God will honor your family for your unwavering faith in Biblical values.
    Thank you Huckaby Family for living faithfully to the Lord Jesus.

• Angela Martignetti

05/01/2018 01:12 PM

The far left so called comedienne who verbally assaulted Sarah would be grateful to have the intelligence Sarah has in her pinky. Sarah showed such grace and poise under pressure but I was not surprised. Her performance every day during the press briefings is extraordinary. She is attacked day in and day out by the disgusting media and handles them expertly and with humor and grace. You should be so proud of her. We are grateful she is President Trump's Press Secretary. He could not have chosen a better spokesperson. God bless her.

April 30, 2018

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

OR IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO SEND ME A MESSAGE, GO HERE.

• Nancy Shea

05/01/2018 02:34 PM

Bravo, Sarah! You are a class act! And so is your dad.

• sharon underwood

• Lynn Morgan

05/01/2018 02:15 PM

• Linda Radosevich

05/01/2018 02:15 PM

• Terry Brazell

05/01/2018 02:14 PM

Keep it up Sarah! Our household is behind you all the way!!

• Michael Steenstra

Well done as always Sarah! Keep your chin up-

• Richard Aycock

05/01/2018 02:05 PM

Sincerely....Richard

• Cyndy Kister

05/01/2018 02:05 PM

I couldn't agree with your article more.
    Listening to the program, I was embarrassed.

• Sandra Gilbert

• Ilean Taylor

05/01/2018 01:54 PM

• Anne. Turner

05/01/2018 01:54 PM

• sharon ruetz

05/01/2018 01:46 PM

The reason Sarah is so viciously attacked is because she does such a fine job.

• Linda Rouse

05/01/2018 01:46 PM

Mike,

• Glenn Terrell

05/01/2018 01:41 PM

• PAT BARILOW

05/01/2018 01:39 PM

• Robert Abel

05/01/2018 01:34 PM

You and Sarah are pure class. Enough said.

• Traci Reid

05/01/2018 01:34 PM

• Betty Moore

05/01/2018 01:34 PM

and hollywood idiots. God Bless you and your family.

• Nicki Watts

05/01/2018 01:31 PM

Dear Governor Huckabee

God bless you and your family!

Nicki in Kentucky.

• Ronald Welch Sr.

05/01/2018 01:28 PM

• Jo Ann Jarvis

05/01/2018 01:26 PM

• Kaye Burke

05/01/2018 01:25 PM

I too applaud Sarah for her grace and poise.

• Barbara Hemphill

05/01/2018 01:25 PM

• D. Floyd

05/01/2018 01:24 PM

As usual, your daughter, and you are a class act!

• Rebecca Deaton

05/01/2018 01:24 PM

• James T Bryson

05/01/2018 01:22 PM

Dear Gov. Huckabee,
    You both know who you are dealing with and YOU hold the high ground.
    Very respectfully,
    James T Bryson CDR USN (Ret.)

• Marion Forston

05/01/2018 01:15 PM

• Darlene Anderson

05/01/2018 01:14 PM

God will honor your family for your unwavering faith in Biblical values.
    Thank you Huckaby Family for living faithfully to the Lord Jesus.

• Angela Martignetti