Since pharmaceutical attorney Gregory Rigano appeared on FOX NEWS, others (real MDs) have come forward with more information on recent studies of hydrochloroquine, a newer version of the commonly used antimalarial drug chloroquine, and also remdesivir, which was created to fight the ebola virus. The French study referenced by Rigano is real, and there’s one out of Australia and another out of China.

Rigano had called on President Trump to cut as much red tape as possible to hasten the approval process on new therapies. And on Thursday, the President did just that, calling on the FDA to “eliminate outdated rules and bureaucracy so this work can proceed rapidly, quickly, and I mean...fast.”

He means...FAST. And all the other words that mean fast.

RELATED READING: Is it a cure? Pharmaceutical attorney pushes for off-label use of hydroxychloroquine

"We have to remove every barrier,” the President said, “and they’ve done that, to get to the rapid deployment of safe, effective treatments.”

According to Tennessee Republican Rep. Mark Green, a former Army flight surgeon who appeared with Shannon Bream on FOX NEWS Thursday night, the French study touted by Rigano earlier this week showed that when mixed in a “cocktail” with the antibiotic azithromycin (the familiar “Z-pack” often given to patients who have bronchitis and/or bacterial pneumonia), hydroxychloroquine can completely clear COVID-19 --- it happened in all patients who were in the study --- in as little as three days. The sample size in the study he referenced was small, Green said, “so it’s kind of hard to extrapolate...to the whole population, but it’s very promising. One hundred percent of the virus gone in six days.”

He said that in the French study, hydroxychloroquine and azithromax were tested against hydroxychloroquine alone and also against a control group, and the hydroxychloroquine-alone patients did better than the control group, but the patients who did best were the ones who had received both chloroquine and azithromax. The anti-inflammatory effect of the antibiotic helps not only with bacterial infections but also with the symptoms of viral illness.

All of these drugs are already FDA approved for other uses and would just need to be manufactured in large quantities. (Please don’t tell me that all the manufacturing is currently being done in China!) Hydroxychloroquine is a generic [cheap] drug, Green said, “so the question will be, who’s going to stand up and manufacture it?” In this case, surely some American company would take that on. If there’s no financial incentive, our government might have to do some subsidizing to get this going NOW. Goodness knows, that’s a more productive use of funds than just passing out money to everyone. We need to defeat this virus so people can recover economically by getting back to work.

"I think that the FDA has joined forces in eliminating red tape to ensure that that product could be available to physicians to prescribe to their patients,” said White House coronavirus coordinator Dr. Debbie Birx on Thursday. “But we want to be able to study at the same time --- not limit use but actually study it at the same time to see if it does have he impact that others have reported.”

In other words, the FDA wants to be able to collect data on all patients receiving treatment with these drugs so they can scientifically answer questions of safety and effectiveness. But, as Rep. Green pointed out, a physician doesn’t have to wait for a study –- the doctor can write prescriptions right now for hydroxychloroquine (off-label use) and azithromax, with no restrictions. As I mentioned yesterday, the FDA doesn’t really have a problem with off-label use once a drug has been approved.

"[Hydroxychloroquine] is a drug that we’ve had around for decades,” Dr. Birx said. “So, it’s a pretty straightforward drug to make; there’s a lot of companies who already make it because it’s very important in our malaria fights around the world. And so, we have [the] drug available, and we really just have to see, does it actually work? We know it’s probably safe --- I think the question really is, does it have a therapeutic effect, and that’s going to be studied. It looks promising. We just want to make sure that at the same time that we’re giving this option to physicians, that we’re actually studying its impact.”

You know, if researchers and bureaucrats think it’s safe but want to see if it works, doctors can really help them with that by PRESCRIBING IT, especially for those who are very sick and going downhill.

Even with the President cutting red tape, the FDA is still a bureaucracy and moves slowly. Remdesivir, another antiviral, hasn’t yet completed the approval process, according to Rep. Green, but it’s already in Phase III studies with the FDA, so if it makes it, perhaps it will be available fairly soon.

My researchers turned up something very interesting: a study that compared two maps: one showing the pattern of COVID-19 infection and the other showing malaria. In countries where malaria flourishes, people often take antimalarial drugs such as chloroquine routinely as a preventative, and that may be why those those countries aren’t reporting COVID-19 cases. “This is amazing...” said Dr. Roy Spencer on Facebook. “In all my years of data analysis I have never seen such a stark and strong relationship: Countries with malaria basically have no COVID-19 cases (at least not yet).”

We’re not sure if there’s anything to this, but it certainly is consistent with the theory that antimalarial drugs also fight this coronavirus. Here are the two maps:

Our commentary on Gregory Rigano and his claims about hydroxychloroquine drew letters expressing a variety of points of view. Most fell into the “it’s worth a try!” catgegory. Some readers shared anecdotal evidence that the drug is safe, but a few others noted that it can cause retinal problems and other side effects, particularly serious among those with inflammatory disease such as rheumatoid arthritis. That’s why we can’t just hand out pills. They have to be carefully prescribed by a physician who knows the patient’s condition and medical history and who will be closely monitoring the effects, both intended and unintended. But that should be the case with every prescribed medication.

Antimalarial drugs are very commonly used in other parts of the world –- if you’ve traveled abroad to India or Africa, you likely have taken them –- and might be completely harmless for most people, but there’s hardly any drug that is safe for everyone. There’s also the matter of how much to take for this particular illness, when to take it, how often and for how long. A medication that might be fine at a low dose or in the short term to treat or head off coronavirus might be harmful if taken at a high dose or for months at a time. And, of course, there might be bad interactions with other medications a patient is already taking. That’s why the FDA wants as much data as it can get. If we start giving these medications to patients, we’re essentially initiating a very large-scale human trial. But that appears to be just what we need to do.

• Carol covington

03/20/2020 05:31 PM

Our daughter has been on plaquenil since she was diagnosed with autoimmune disease at age 18. That was 22 yrs ago. Why not study cases like hers and see their response to this pandemic. She is in the medical field in Ohio and so far no signs or symptoms

• Mary Audas

03/20/2020 05:11 PM

Let’s hope it moves quickly in production because Congress, Senate and all the assisted bureaucrats, all sports figures and all Movie stars have to receive it whether they have the virus in case they get it and then if there is anything left which is doubtful based on their past greed, perhaps the vast number of serfs with advanced cases might receive the medicine.

• Gene R. Hyde

03/20/2020 04:47 PM

Manufactured virus... Is it possible the Chinese took Corona virus cells from the pangolin (example) and grew them in a lab and released it on the world? They seem to know how to control it according to their latest sickness stats.
    (From a displaced Arkie in Arizona.)

• Jackie Johnston

03/20/2020 04:46 PM

That being the case what is the holdup. It has to be something to do with padding someone's pocket it happens everytime something like this pops up!

• Charles B. Moore

03/20/2020 04:46 PM

This would be awesome if confirmed

• John Walsh

03/20/2020 04:32 PM

Hi, Mike. My kids and I took choloroquine for years while living in West Africa. Our youngest took it in liquid form in her bottles. If abused it is lethal, but it keep us healthy for years while living in Malaria country. We would buy this without prescriptions in the local pharmacies. So perhaps it will also be a blessing to many now.

• Firewagon

03/20/2020 04:23 PM

GERRRAAATE NEWS! After I had noted that my mailman was on a prescription for this hydroxychloroquine my wife said it is the same drug she takes for her arthritis. As you noted, Gov, there is the side effect possible with damaging your eyes, and my wife has to have a special eye test every so often to make sure she hasn't started any damage to her eyes. It is a very pertinent fact that "we just can't start handing out these pills willy nilly" it 'should' require a doctor's prescription! My good fortune, apparently, is I can hole up and still eat regularly, because, if proven out, my wife can mingle amongst them!

• Kathleen Serr

03/20/2020 04:07 PM

I have taken Hydroxychloquine for approximately 12 years for Lupus and Sjorgrens. I have had no adverse effects from the medication. However, I do need to see an ophtamologist once a year to have my eyes dilated and checked. I guess if you take the medication for a long time it can cause eye problems.

• Karen Harrold

03/20/2020 04:00 PM

My mother used to live in the south and got malaria several times. If she got sick with anything the malaria would come back. She would take quinine but I don't know how much or for how long. When she was pregnant with us she got malaria and asked her doctor for some. He couldn't figure out how she got it until she told him. He gave it to her but he watched her for any problems.

• ENOLA TALBERT

03/20/2020 03:48 PM

Forgive me please for this Question>>> what about all the "products, including Medications" that are produced/handled in China & Asian Countries, when will our Country make our own "everything" & not have our health/well-being in other hands please? If we go buy prescriptions today that have been made there, how do we know they are not covered in virus(s)? thank you for your time. Be Well.

• Beverly Thompson

03/20/2020 03:41 PM

I praise our Heavenly Father for your encouragement!! Even a little good news helps. Of course, we know the best news is God through Jesus Christ, our Savior knew all about this crisis before it happened and will work it for our good and His glory. Perhaps He is saying, “Now that I have your attention . . . “ I’m praying many who don’t know Him will come to Him for salvation!

• Michael Moody

03/20/2020 03:37 PM

Dear Mike:

Thank you for keeping us up to date on all that is going on. Although I spend much time in prayer and know many who do the same, this is still a time where we struggle to be at peace.

I think we all have to do our best to do the part that God would have us to play in this time. We all need to show comfort and mercy to those in need. I am not very good at those sort of things. What I can do is provide something that will help. By profession I was a lawmaker during my career. I am not an elected official. I work with law and lawyers and I like to write law.

What I would like to do is to make some suggestions in the way of law that will help us all. My first thought is for a law I call the Import Critical Capacity Act (ICCA). This is going to have to happen in some form regardless. The world can't depend on one source for all of its medical supplies any longer. That is especially the case when that one source was at the heart of a medical disaster and may be involved in other disasters in the future.

The ICCA would mandate that 80 percent of the supply of a critical item had to be manufactured from in-country sources. Exceeding the quotas for imports would suggest the importer to sumptuary taxation. It would do a number of other things, including setting up the basis for cooperative production of basic medical supplies that serve as a feed stock for other medical products. This is particularly important as per Congressional Testimony from several years back, 82 basic chemicals needed in drug compounding are imported. We can use medical cooperatives to meet these needs cheaper and in a manner more in line with our national interest.

My second thought concerns a law called the Medical Sabbatical Act. This is an idea developed to tackle in part the student loan issue, at least as to professionals trained in medical disciplines. It would allow recent graduates in a variety of medical disciplines to work overseas for a year and live in State Department approved housing with no federal taxation except for an obligation to pay 25 percent of their overseas income on student loan debt. To the extent it not not in conflict with state licensing regulations, program participants would receive credit for residency requirements.

This law is designed to help with our student loan program. But unfortunately, it may help countries overseas, presuming we don't take the hit on medical personnel that other countries are taking right now. Many of the deaths associated with the corona virus are first line treatment professionals. There are countries that don't have the capacity any longer to do routine medical care.

So these are my thoughts. I think they can help. I am hoping that you cvan help by passing along these ideas to someone who might have a need for such ideas. I don't know Jared Kushner but you might.

Thank you again.

Mike Moody

• Vivian Hartsoe

03/20/2020 03:25 PM

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for keeping us updated with the TRUTH!! So refreshing. I am trying to find out what foods are sent through China. Someone said Green Giant foods and I know much of the frozen fish is from China, but where can I find out a listings of those foods. I am trying to go USA and buy nothing from China! Trust me, that is a real challenge!!! I had no idea how much China is involved in our lives on every level. SCARY! Watching you tonight....Thanks for your help!!

• Nancy Benstead

03/20/2020 03:23 PM

I am on Hydroxchloroquine now for arthritis

• Steven W. Browning, Sr.

03/20/2020 03:09 PM

Thoroughly agree with your conclusion about no drug being perfect for everyone and how they should be prescribed. Sad part of this will be the possibility that it will be spread to a large group of people with no further testing or concern.
    I worked overseas for a long time and took a chloroquine medication. So many things came out of that: semi-annual liver & kidney function testing, inability to donate blood, etc. It did well for me (I think) and I was educated to the good and bad side of the drugs before I started it. Of course, it wasn't my only option, as well.

• June Darley

03/20/2020 03:05 PM

Sounds good to me.Stop anything made in China.I don't truth the leader and Tramp needs to ask God if he should. Truth God and he can't go wrong.
    John 14:1

• FRANK HAUCK

03/20/2020 03:02 PM

Is there presently a barrier to those critically ill with the Chinese virus, from receiving the "cocktail" that was described which includes hydroxychloroquine? If so, why?

• Patricia Nelson

03/20/2020 02:40 PM

I heard on Tucker Carlson last night that 95% of our antibodies are made in China and the USA is running low. I hope President Trump pushes for us to make our own medicine.
    Thank You for all the info. And God Bless, Take Care.

• Carmen Mesa

03/20/2020 02:39 PM

I saw the press conference today, March 21st. It looked like Dr. Fauci is not fully on board about this drug. His response did not help the case President Trump is trying to make towards using this drug. After his response, the stock market started declining.

• Susan Whitson

03/20/2020 02:19 PM

I have been watching the news conference with great interest every day. The President is very hopeful of this drug working, as we all are. But, he needs to defer to the experts when baited by the media. Everyday the briefing devolves into a reporters VS Trump melee.
    You can see the frustration growing on his face and then it happens, he gives them the crazy Trump sound bite they're looking for. Today, 3/20, it was about him saying"deep State" when Secretary Pompeo came to the microphone. Although, it was said with a smile, it became the topic. I'm not a politician, but, I think he needs to speak and turn it over to the experts and the VP, who is doing a great job. The other issue was that he was hopeful of the drug which turned into him saying," What the H have we got to lose." Again, there's a sound bite to be used later. Not to mention the daily arguments about fake news. They need to stay on topic. I'm not sure what happened after that I turned it off. Thank you and your staff for all the unbiased coverage and the hard work you put into this newsletter everyday.

• Robin Rebhan

03/20/2020 02:11 PM

Hydrochloroquine sounds like a good preventive medication, especially for medical workers and first responders on the front line. Prayerfully we can all can get back to normal soon :-)
    Hopefully a complex problem has a simple solution :-)

• Thomas Odom

03/20/2020 02:03 PM

If these drugs have shown this much promise then lets start using them on patients. If I was being treated for the CoViD-19 I certainly would want this tried on me. The president has the WPA use it and get these drugs to the doctors. The doctors are really smart and can prescribe the proper dosage. Anything is better than letting someone die without trying.

• rodney burke

03/20/2020 02:01 PM

well, there goes the jackass party. all their work down the drain. I'm gonna postulate that Bill Gates MAY have had something to do with this as he is talking openly about populations control thru vaccines. This man sounds dangerous. Albeit, China is culpable for unleashing this virus. And i would hardly be surprised if the libs were in on it. After all they want us to be sick so They can take over power. This they are not hiding in any way. TDS is revealing itself for all to see in the "communist" party. Well, if we can multi-use a drug and it proves to be effective for this incident, then we've made a vast improvement for health all over the world. Trump wins We win and the rest of the world does as well. DNC looks foolish and so does Joe. Rooting for a recession is really sick. Hey Mike, what happened to Steven Colbert? i haven't heard much about him in the last two months?

• Michael

03/20/2020 01:43 PM

I have listened to the President and his team conduct press briefings on the Coronovirus and of course they are trying to inform the American people and be as transparent as possible. . . . Then you have the MSM in the room and someone that crowd only want to stir s**t !!! It is appauling! I don't know why the President even calls on them or allow them into the briefing. SEC of State Mike Pompeo does a great job dismissing assinine questions from the liberals with an obvious anti-Trump agenda. Then you have those idiot so called reporters who are so hung upon whether the President is a racist towards China or blaming them too much!! I read a great response for all those who want to accuse someone for being racist when they say "Chinese". If someone says they want to order "Chinese" food, are they a racist? Of course not!! So once again the propaganda arm of the Democrats- the MSM would rather empathasize with China, all the while trying to make the President look bad or say he is a racist. And some on the MSM want to shame or apologize to other countries, like China, for America and Americans. Sick of the MSM especially when they show they can't unite during a crisis. So many among the MSM are anti-America! Too bad we can't send most of them overseas with a one-way ticket!!!

• Terri Church

03/20/2020 01:09 PM

This is like a breath of fresh air. To know that we there is hope that this virus will not be long term. There is hope that this will not totally destroy our economy and the world economy. Thanks Mike for expanding on what we are hearing and keeping us abreast of updates! We have been in the music business for a long time. We have so many friends in this industry that are completely out of work for weeks to come, with no income at all. From festivals and concerts canceled to musicians that could lose everything. Thankfully we have another business that has been thriving due to the economy. But that will only last a while. My heart bleeds for everyone. www.davidchurch.net

He means...FAST. And all the other words that mean fast.

• Carol covington

03/20/2020 05:31 PM

• Mary Audas

03/20/2020 05:11 PM

• Gene R. Hyde

03/20/2020 04:47 PM

(From a displaced Arkie in Arizona.)

• Jackie Johnston

• Vivian Hartsoe

03/20/2020 03:25 PM

Hi Mike,

• Nancy Benstead

03/20/2020 03:23 PM

I am on Hydroxchloroquine now for arthritis

• Steven W. Browning, Sr.

03/20/2020 03:09 PM

• June Darley

03/20/2020 03:05 PM

John 14:1

• FRANK HAUCK

03/20/2020 03:02 PM

• Patricia Nelson

03/20/2020 02:40 PM

Thank You for all the info. And God Bless, Take Care.

• Carmen Mesa

03/20/2020 02:39 PM

• Susan Whitson

03/20/2020 02:19 PM

• Robin Rebhan

03/20/2020 02:11 PM

Hopefully a complex problem has a simple solution :-)

• Thomas Odom

03/20/2020 02:03 PM

• rodney burke

03/20/2020 02:01 PM

• Michael

03/20/2020 01:43 PM

• Terri Church

03/20/2020 01:09 PM

He means...FAST. And all the other words that mean fast.

• Carol covington

03/20/2020 05:31 PM

• Mary Audas

03/20/2020 05:11 PM

• Gene R. Hyde

03/20/2020 04:47 PM

(From a displaced Arkie in Arizona.)

• Jackie Johnston

• Vivian Hartsoe

03/20/2020 03:25 PM

Hi Mike,

• Nancy Benstead

03/20/2020 03:23 PM

I am on Hydroxchloroquine now for arthritis

• Steven W. Browning, Sr.

03/20/2020 03:09 PM

• June Darley

03/20/2020 03:05 PM

John 14:1

• FRANK HAUCK

03/20/2020 03:02 PM

• Patricia Nelson

03/20/2020 02:40 PM

Thank You for all the info. And God Bless, Take Care.

• Carmen Mesa

03/20/2020 02:39 PM

• Susan Whitson

03/20/2020 02:19 PM

• Robin Rebhan

03/20/2020 02:11 PM

Hopefully a complex problem has a simple solution :-)

• Thomas Odom