Investigative reporter Paul Sperry has just come out with a “developing” story about investigators learning that Obama’s CIA Director John Brennan set up a task force to target then-candidate Donald Trump. Such a task force would certainly explain a lot of what happened with the “Russia Russia Russia!” story, and we’ve been hypothesizing something similar for quite some time, as it's obvious that Brennan’s in deep. Former CIA analyst Larry C. Johnson reported on the task force about a year ago. Here’s what Johnson has to say about it now, in light of Sperry’s latest revelation.

A retired CIA colleague told Johnson in October of 2019 that Brennan had set up a task force, hand-picking the group himself instead of going through the usual posting. Apparently not everyone accepted the invitation, which “could be a problem for John Brennan,” Johnson wrote.

"I am not talking about an informal group of disgruntled Democrats working at the CIA who got together like a book club to grouse and complained about the brash real estate guy from New York,” Johnson said, though I imagine they did that sort of thing, too. “It was a specially designed covert action to try to destroy Donald Trump.”

The way Johnson explains it, a CIA task force, as designed and first used in 1947, can be “expanded” to include personnel from other intel agencies such as the FBI, DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency) and NSA (National Security Agency). It operates outside the CIA organizational chart. A typical and appropriate use for it might be to go after foreign terrorists or drug traffickers; it would certainly NOT be used to go after a U.S. presidential candidate! But Johnson was told that’s exactly what Brennan did, with the blessings of then-Director of National Intelligence James Clapper. (The director of national intelligence coordinates the various intel agencies.)

Johnson’s friends in the CIA have told him that the task force was operating in early 2016 and possibly even in summer 2015. (This would explain a lot of what we’ve already learned from the reporting of Lee Smith and others.)

According to Johnson, the anti-Trump task force included CIA case officers (“handlers” for overseas spies), intel analysts and administrators. Importantly, personnel from the FBI might also have been invited, including Michael Gaeta, the FBI’s “handler” for “confidential human source” (SPY) Christopher Steele, a former member of British spy organization MI-6.

CIA case officers on the task force would have been able to work with foreign intelligence, such as Steele in MI-6 and diplomat Alexander Downer from Australia. They could have used someone like Joseph Mifsud to target George Papadopoulos. They could also have used the NSA to do “targeted collections”; that is to say, to intercept their communications. Let me again stress, all of these activities are legal when used against foreign terrorists or drug traffickers; they are NOT legal when used against a U.S. citizen, and most especially against a major party nominee for President.

Johnson hopes there’s also been an investigation into the so-called impeachment “whistleblower,” ERIC CIARAMELLA (yes, we still dare to use his name around here), to see if he was a part of the task force or perhaps reporting to them.

If this is the way Brennan were using a CIA task force, it was illegal. But even with all he was trying to do to tie Trump to the Russians, he was never able to do it. And no one ever will –- because (say it with me) Trump wasn’t conspiring with the Russians.

Moving ahead to Paul Sperry’s tweet, it makes news because he says not only that Brennan did this, but that “investigators “HAVE LEARNED” he did this.

I assume he’s referring to John Durham’s investigators. Here’s what Sperry tweeted:

"DEVELOPING: Investigators have learned that Obama CIA Director John Brennan ran a secret task force out of Langley with its own separate budget to investigate Trump campaign and alleged ties to Russia. Taskforce set up before FBI officially launched its own probe on 7/31/16.”

Ah, it had its own separate budget. Your tax dollars at work.

Another journalist, Adam Housley, responded, “He’d been doing this well before Trump. As I have reported. Remember I’ve been saying John Brennan ran his own op and had been doing that. I’ve reported/said this for 3 years...”

According to the WASHINGTON EXAMINER, Brennan was questioned by Durham’s team at Langley, his old stomping ground, but Brennan’s spokesperson has said he was told he’s not “a subject or a target” of Durham’s investigation. At the same time, according to ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee Devin Nunes, Brennan is NOT in the clear, as he lied under oath to Congress about not including the Steele “dossier” in the Intel Community Assessment of Trump/Russia collusion in January of 2017. (Recall that he laughably said it was not in the “corpus” of information they used.)

If investigators have suddenly found evidence of Brennan’s task force, he can become a subject or target with the snap of a finger. Brennan, who loathes President Trump and has even called him a traitor, is up to his eyeballs in this. And it seems these off-the-book task forces were his M.O., even before he cranked one up against the future President. It’s almost inevitable that some participants are going to skate in this, but let’s hope that justice will finally be served to the one who led the whole thing.

UPDATE LATE WEDNESDAY

As reported in the DAILY WIRE, Attorney General Bill Barr gives us reason to anticipate more criminal indictments in the Durham investigation.

• Deborah Davis

09/10/2020 02:35 PM

I am sitting here snapping my fingers in hope and expectation. Once again a conspiracy people laughed at Trump for claiming is turning out to be true. They all should spend the rest of their lives in jail as traitors for gping against the Constititution and a duly elected president. To be fair Trump ought to be allowed to clean up the mess and get a do over 4 years. I worry about assassination. How do we know some of the ones who are supposed to take a bullet to protect him aren't also the internal enemy?

• David Williams

09/10/2020 01:46 PM

President Trump should have never granted those interviews with Bob Woodward. Woodward is a noted supporter of Liberals. When you play with vipers, don't be surprised when you get bit. President' Trump's political advisors failed him.

• Steve Shapero

09/10/2020 01:42 PM

It's time for DRIVE-IN VOTING. I wrote an Op Ed for Convention of States Maryland and think this could be a game changer if we act quickly. In person voting is the most accurate, but it has to be done safely. I've written to MD Governor Hogan and to the White House, but time is of the essence if we have a prayer of doing it in time for Nov 3. Do you think this idea has a chance? See my article in the following link: https://conventionofstates.com/news/how-do-we-ensure-a-fair-and-accurate-election-in-a-pandemic BTW, I enjoy your humor and your newsletter. Steve

• Carl Mann

09/10/2020 01:41 PM

Mike,
    My bet still is that Brennan, nor any of his accomplices below or ABOVE his then position, will be held accountable for his/their actions against Donald Trump. But, I'm just optomistic enough to say, "I hope I'm wrong."
    Carl

• Arthur Barnes

09/10/2020 01:33 PM

Tired of talking,I want to see warrents,people in court rooms,people in handcuffs

• Carolyn Arne

09/10/2020 01:31 PM

All talk and no action as usual

• Ina T Manly

09/10/2020 01:30 PM

I have not seen a retraction for posting a link to a fake BLM poster calling for a rally in Virginia.

• Larry Fry

09/10/2020 01:29 PM

Interesting report by Sperry on Brennan. What I don’t t care for is the statement, “expect little or nothing to come out of the Durham report.” I sure hope there is something and it is powerful. Do you care to comment on that?

• Mabel Ramsthel

09/10/2020 01:17 PM

Mike I am very concerned about this. Can you please verify whether or not this is true? I have heard that if a definite determination has not been made about the results of an election by the specified date of the scheduled inauguration following that election, that according to the constitution, it is the responsibility of the current Speaker of the House to step forward and become the interim president until a final decision is made. Mike, Nancy Pelosi as President would be a disaster! And the Demos could do it, as we have a corral full of wimpy Republicans who wouldn’t (or couldn’t) stop them. This is a source of anxiety fo r me! Can you please respond to me personally?? Thank you so much, Mike! Big hugs! ????????

• Kevin Wright

09/10/2020 01:17 PM

Mike, revealing these things are all well and good, however little is mentioned of accountability and punishment. This is what I would like to hear and I'm sure I'm not alone! Be well and take care.

• Al Perrotta

09/10/2020 01:15 PM

Of course Brennan was running a black op against Trump. And was running it even after Trump's election. It may sound trivial, but all you need to do is look at the musician (and Hillary pal) Moby. When Steele dossier broke he was all over his vast social media saying it was 100% legit. Few weeks later, he said in an interview that he had been told by former and current CIA friends of his that the dossier was legit and to spread it on his social media because of its reach.
    No one ever thought the dossier was legit. By Jan 2017, CIA certainly knew it was garbage. And yet CIA agents are deliberately trying to spread the disinformation. That's a black op against the president-elect of the United States. Who ordered them to? Hard to believe they simply did it on their own.
    Yup. Brennan was the point man for Obama's seditious effort to sabotage Trump. I don't think he'll give up Obama. He's one of the nut types. Here's praying Durham's found the communications or an underling who doesn't want to be the fall guy.

• gary speckman

09/10/2020 12:56 PM

BUT, the Durham report will not come out until after the election and then nothing will be done. Looks like he isn't on Trumps side, just another cover up.
    and win for the Hillary side.

• Sherry Vargo

09/10/2020 12:40 PM

Heard it and keep hearing it. When will heads roll? Why can these despots do what they do and there's no payday for them?

• Lisa Neely

09/10/2020 12:35 PM

I agree, Brennan should receive retribution for his bad handling of almost everything he did! His ego, which is bigger than Texas, finally got the best of his little amount of logic he possessed.

• jim record

09/10/2020 12:29 PM

I will believe it if they really get around to charging more people and getting into court.

• Adele Colvin

09/10/2020 12:24 PM

I still do not understand, with all that is “known” about the investigation into Trump, why more than one lower level person has not been charged. It is outrageous!

• Robert Mascari

09/10/2020 12:10 PM

Sick to death of these smug, arrogant, above-the-law Dems getting away with these abuses of power. When is someone going to start fighting back on these issues? Hillary skated, Joe Biden skated, Hunter Biden skated........doesn't sound like their on thin ice to me!
    Totally disgusted.

Ah, it had its own separate budget. Your tax dollars at work.

UPDATE LATE WEDNESDAY

• Kevin Wright

09/10/2020 01:17 PM

• Al Perrotta

09/10/2020 01:15 PM

• gary speckman

09/10/2020 12:56 PM

and win for the Hillary side.

• Sherry Vargo

09/10/2020 12:40 PM

• Lisa Neely

09/10/2020 12:35 PM

• jim record

09/10/2020 12:29 PM

• Adele Colvin

09/10/2020 12:24 PM

• Robert Mascari

09/10/2020 12:10 PM

Totally disgusted.

Ah, it had its own separate budget. Your tax dollars at work.

UPDATE LATE WEDNESDAY

• Kevin Wright

09/10/2020 01:17 PM

• Al Perrotta

09/10/2020 01:15 PM

• gary speckman

09/10/2020 12:56 PM

and win for the Hillary side.

• Sherry Vargo