January 12, 2018

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi isn’t backing down from her claim that the Republican tax cut is “Armageddon” and “the worst bill Congress ever passed.” She was asked to respond to the tidal wave of companies announcing raises, bonuses and new hiring thanks to the tax cut (the latest is Walmart, raising starting wages to $11 an hour, with bonuses up to $1000 per worker and expanded maternity, family leave and adoption benefits).

Pelosi dismissed those raises and bonuses as "insignificant," claiming they were just for PR and "so pathetic," and that the raises and bonuses amounted to “crumbs.” Why does her use of the word “crumbs” remind me of a previous era's clueless aristocratic leader sneering that if the peasants don’t have bread, then “let them eat cake”? (As for her blasting companies for cutting workers back to 32 hours a week, that was in response to Obamacare, a genuinely terrible bill that she forced onto Americans; but she might not know that since I'm still not sure if she ever read it.)

Do you know what I would call “pathetic”? The history of Nancy Pelosi and her party when it comes to helping those workers. The record-setting years of stagnant wages, slow growth and crippled job creation that they tried to pass off as the “new normal,” as if their own dunderheaded policies of high taxes, crushing regulations, open borders, America-last trade deals and lack of enforcement of illegal immigration had nothing whatsoever to do with the suffering of the working class.

Know what else I would call “pathetic”? A self-styled champion of the working class airily dismissing those workers’ desperately-needed raises, bonuses, new benefits and increased 401K contributions as “crumbs,” when she and her husband have an estimated net worth of nearly $30 million. A study found that while traveling on military jets over a two-year period (which cost taxpayers $2,100,744.59, but at least was for security reasons), she ran up $101,429.14 for in-flight expenses, including food and alcohol (I doubt that was necessary for security). I wonder, does she consider $101,429.14 to be “crumbs”?

Personally, I would say that "crumbs" is an appropriate term for well-heeled liberals who claim to care about low and middle income working Americans but back policies that harm them, vote against a tax cut to help them, and sneer at the size of their raises. I hope that before working class voters let the media bamboozle them into returning these arrogant crumbs to power, they will remember just what it was like to live under their job-crushing policies and exactly what they really think about you “deplorables.” After all, they don’t exactly make their contempt a secret.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM!

• Gary Viola

01/12/2018 12:41 PM

everybody is talking about this tax bill and that is great except for one thing i'm ssdi and this bill does not help me at all period what say you.

• Rick Spry

01/12/2018 12:37 PM

The dems have their share of faults but the repubs have lost my confidenceby their lying of what they would do as far a obamacare. They have done nothing to desrve my vote again.
    Rick Spry
    North Carolina.
    rspr[email protected]

• Geraldine Simpson

01/12/2018 11:19 AM

As usual you are spot on. Agree with you completely.

• Gregory Fournier

01/12/2018 10:49 AM

Regarding Nancy Pelosi's comments about crumbs. You know President Trump is getting under their skin by the way they react. The tax bill is good Government and the Democrats know it. They see the response by the industrial and commercial industries as a direct attack on their twisted ideology that only government can protect and care for the people. The more people break the strangle hold on government services and become independent as well as self sufficient, the Democrats see a loss of their power in votes. The Democrats are not stupid though. They see the influx of Puerto Ricans as the life line to votes they have been scared of losing because of Trumps economic successes.

• Bruce Nason

01/12/2018 10:29 AM

Good one Mike! Let's not forget all of those one hour a week and minimum wage jobs that the Obama administration of silly incompetent clowns counted as real employment!

• Don Deutsch

01/12/2018 10:10 AM

Anytime Pelosi wants to throw me a couple of those "Crumbs" I'd be happy yo take them off her table!

• Janet L Conway

01/12/2018 10:06 AM

Her calling the tax credits crumbs only shows AGAIN how much she is out of touch with the middle class. She is filthy rich and I am sure it is crumbs to her, but to me and so many other working middle class Americans, it is a nice bonus! I don't waste my time on idiots, thus I don't waste my time listening to her opinions.

January 12, 2018

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM!

• Gary Viola

01/12/2018 12:41 PM

• Rick Spry

01/12/2018 12:37 PM

Rick Spry
    North Carolina.
    [email protected]

• Geraldine Simpson

01/12/2018 11:19 AM

As usual you are spot on. Agree with you completely.

• Gregory Fournier