September 4, 2018

One obstacle frequently cited by those who don’t see the urgency of replacing Attorney General Jeff Sessions is that it would take a long time to get a successor confirmed by the Senate.  No doubt the Democrats would make it as difficult and drawn-out a process as possible, but is that reason enough not to fire Sessions?

Nope.

Judge Jeanine Pirro, in her “opening statement” Saturday night on FOX News, talked about this, noting that Sen. Chuck Grassley has said he could schedule Senate hearings to confirm a new attorney general and also that Sen. Lindsay Graham has predicted Sessions will very likely be replaced.  The President has said he wouldn’t fire Sessions before the midterm elections but was noncommittal about afterwards.

OUR TOP STORY:  Of funerals and forgiveness: recall that McCain gave Trump "dossier" to the FBI

But Judge Jeanine went on to talk briefly about something more:  the Vacancies Reform Act.  This legislation, she said, allows for the appointment of a new attorney general on a temporary basis without Senate confirmation.  What she did not say is that the law is extremely complicated, and it hasn’t really been resolved how it would work in a case in which the attorney general has been fired.  I’ll have more details about this at the end.

Of course, even without a new attorney general, it doesn’t seem that firing Sessions would make much difference.  He’s like the “empty chair” that Clint Eastwood shared the stage with at the Republican National Convention to symbolize the presidency of Barack Obama.  Sessions has recused himself from practically everything the Justice Department desperately needs to concern itself with right now.  But with this law, or with a fast Senate approval, we might actually get someone in the job who can and will do something.

A statement from Sessions reads, “While I am attorney general, the actions of the Department of Justice will not be improperly influenced by political considerations.”  I would think that after saying something like that, Sessions might want to be looking at a very different career:  standup comedy.

I was on with Judge Jeanine that night and had to say it breaks my heart to agree that Sessions should go.   As I told her, he’s a longtime friend of mine and I really like him.  But this whole situation is out of control, and we’ve got to get to the bottom of the corruption, conspiracy, collusion and cover-up that’s been going on in the Justice Department.  I don’t know why, but Sessions just doesn’t appear to have the “stomach” to appoint people from the field offices, away from Washington, or perhaps a special counsel, who can do what it takes to get accountability for those who have made a mockery of justice in this country.

As I told Judge Jeanine, Sessions should have been storming up and down the halls of the DOJ and FBI, kicking in doors and turning over desks.  (I can’t help it; Jesus with the money-changers comes to mind.)  The people who ostensibly worked under him have apparently been involved in a coup against a duly elected President, and it doesn’t get more serious than that.  But at this point, Sessions really should just lay in a supply of cardboard boxes to pack up the stuff in his office.  It would be best for the country if he turned in his resignation, admitting he can’t be effective in the job.  If he needs help with moving, I know a guy.

As promised, here is more than you ever wanted to know about the Vacancies Reform Act.  It might be helpful to scroll down to the subhead, “Can the President Designate an Acting Attorney General Under the Vacancies Reform Act?”  Answer:  it looks that way, but he’d better be prepared for the unending legal challenge and general grief that accompanies everything he tries to do.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Carole Moltz

09/05/2018 06:57 AM

Thank you, I have been saying the same thing myself. I too like Mr. Sessions but he appears to have recùsed himself from his job. The whole DOJ and FIB nèeds to be investigated and charges filed starting with Comey.

• Maria Ferran

09/05/2018 03:49 AM

I just cxled my twitter account b/c it was bringing the worst out in me. That's not who I am as a Christian conservative but all of this liberal insanity is getting to many of us. Even though Republicans have the majority, the democrats are running the show. And it's a very bad and dangerous show. Something has to change and soon. So many have lost their moral and ethical perspective.

• Clifford Nichols

09/05/2018 01:24 AM

Your appraisal is perhaps sad, but also true.

Several months ago WND published my piece: The Case for Replacing Attorney General Jeff Sessions (see - www.cnicholslaw.com/sessions)

This past Sunday Townhall.com published my piece: Memo to President Trump: Prosecute Hillary Clinton or Perish (see - www.cnicholslaw.com/prosecute or Towhhall.com under Sunday's Columns)

I truly hoped either you and/or your daughter would see the latter.

Please note that it received > 5,000 Facebook shares from Townhall in less than 36 hours. In short, it seems to have struck a chord of truth on some level with a number of people. I hope you will have time to read it, and if appropriate, pass it on to whoever will benefit from it.

My wife and I pray nightly for the Lord to protect this President, his family and all those serving within his Administration. It's the first President in my lifetime (64 years) who I have felt a compelling need to do this for ... the barrage of attacks is so constant, and his intentions are so clearly for the benefit of this country.

That's all I have for now.

Best,
    Cliff Nichols

P.S. You raised one heck of a daughter, and thank you for your constant sense of humor!

• Maxine Voorhies

09/05/2018 01:06 AM

Keeping Jeff Sessions on is no advantage to Pres.Trump and he needs all that he can get from an AG now.

• CLAUDIA S PARKINSON

09/05/2018 12:52 AM

Sadly, I agree with you. The ONLY thing that would change my mind is to find out that he has been working feverishly behind the scenes and indicting people left and right that so far is kept secret. I see NO indication of that. He was one of the earliest "official" supporters of Trump, and this whole thing breaks my heart.

• Senior Lee

09/04/2018 11:40 PM

I wonder if some of the corrupt people still at Justice are holding threats over Sessions that is causing him to not kick in doors and turn over tables as you wrote. I believe there are still some layers at the Justice Dept. and FBI that need to go.

• Charles Fikes

09/04/2018 11:26 PM

Looks like we have a runaway stagecoach. Need someone to grab the reins, cool off the horses and get things back to normal. Where is our hero? Whistling/tweeting doesn't seem to be enough.

• Katy Findley

09/04/2018 11:00 PM

• Sue Simmons

09/04/2018 10:00 PM

From all observations, I haven't really seen or heard anything that indicates Jeff Sessions is doing his job. It is very frustrating to see him recuse himself and not seem to care how that is affecting our nation. I do hope he is replaced soon so we can get to those issues that are destroying our nation. The deep state has got to be dealt with and it will take someone with courage to go up against them.

• Samuel Smith

09/04/2018 09:37 PM

Jeff Sessions was not to bad at being Senator, I have even voting for him. Yet is sedans my heart to see that he turned out to be a not good DOJ, if Trump is going to drain the swamp, he not only need a DOJ he can trust to do the job and he will need the people to vote out those he can not fire!

• Elaine Liming

09/04/2018 08:57 PM

I agree with your commentary. As American I am tired of all this nonsense. The majority of Americans want corruption stopped now; if this man can not act for whatever reason, fire him now. We need to bring the Deep State leaders and their money man to trial and jail quickly.
    It is time.
    This period in history starting with Obama and company will go down as the most lawless and corrupt in our Nation's history. It is time to pray and get involved to solve a culture gone upside down and it begins in the family with Men and Women doing a better job raising their children and they themselves being model citizens.

• Sylvia Williams

09/04/2018 07:49 PM

I would like to see Judge Jeanine or Trey Gowdy appointed to take Sessions’ place. He has dropped the ball! He must be in some liberal’s pocket.

• Waylon Bush

09/04/2018 07:30 PM

Loretta Lynch? Eric Holder? NO, not even close. Jeff Sessions may go down in history as the absolute worst AG to ever serve the the United States of America.

• Elizabethann Moore

09/04/2018 07:22 PM

Jeff Sessions is doing things by the book. He will never bring attention to himself. He is working harder than anyone else but doesn’t advertise it. Do you or anyone else know what he IS doing? It is a shame & disgrace how we are willing to ruin a good man’s reputation and slander his character to promote an agenda. You of all people need to stand with Jeff. I was counting on you!

• Sharon Burch

09/04/2018 07:05 PM

Gregg Jarrett mentioned a while back that Pres. Trump could bring a Judge in to replace Session. Can you find out, please. Thank you

• Rev. Richard A. Corey

09/04/2018 06:09 PM

It seems tome the AG is not doing his job to defend this country or this duly elected President from attacks by the loony left.

• Rev. Richard A. Corey

09/04/2018 06:02 PM

To me it seems Jeff Sessions is a do nothing AG that Is not helping anything or anyone with his non-sand stance on issues that affect Americans of all stripes and social standing. Or am I wrong?

• Leroy Becker

09/04/2018 05:33 PM

Your write "this whole situation is out of control, and we’ve got to get to the bottom of the corruption, conspiracy, collusion and cover-up that’s been going on in the Justice Department." The key question is whether our AG is doing anything, and if he is, when will we know? Our legal system rightfully says we are innocent until proven guilty, and we must never forget that. But A badge is the symbol of the trust the public has placed in the person who wears it. They carry the public trust (or distrust)! There is only one thing more rotten than a dishonest cop wearing a badge. and that is a dishonest cop / politician who wears such a badge! This cannot / must not go on forever.

• Jenny Tumbas

09/04/2018 05:26 PM

I THINK HE SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED TO SEE WHY HE IS DOING THIS SOMETHING STINKS

• Sevy Gangemi

09/04/2018 05:19 PM

My father was a CEO/COO of his company. He sent me to school to become an engineer for his company. I had always worked for him before and he was completely satisfied with my performances. However, when I returned from college, he sensed that I did not have the stomach or the heart for my new role in his company. Basically my father fired me, though he asked me in a loving way to leave. I knew that he was right, I was non performing in my tasks, and everyone would suffer from it.
    I knew that he loved me, and it was a difficult thing to do. My father’s business thrived without me and for the good of all his clientele. I was’nt a bad engineer, just not in the right position. I went on to be successful in my own engineering and business endeavors.
    Jeff Sessions is a good man, and probably a good legal professional, but all of Trump’s love cannot make him fit the job. My father was the greatest father I could of had and we loved each other until he died. I always respected him. Trump has to let Seessions go. It will be better for his own well being and more importantly for the USA.

• Kathy Wingate

09/04/2018 05:11 PM

Well, I thought POTUS already had Session's resignation, for "just in case"....it would be easier to have his resignation and fire Rosenstein, because, Heaven knows, we don't need him as AG. I had high hopes Trey Gowdy would return in his next life as AG....looks like that is unlikely, the way the rules are set up. I've caught some of the inquisition going on today re Kavanaugh's "confirmation" hearings...Seems a waste of time, when Dems have already made up their minds. Their rhetoric makes me nauseous, and I can't go on watching. Poor Dems are still sobbing over Hillary's loss...as Sen. Graham hinted...they just need to get over it as the right got over Obama's win...does anyone think we were any happier than they are?? We're just more adult, and considerate of the will of the people who voted him in...even tho' many of them were probably illegals...I hope we find a way to prevent illegals from voting this time around. California's doing all they can to pull in anyone who will vote for a Dem, even with illegal ID. They have to be stopped.

• Pamela Jagielo

09/04/2018 05:11 PM

Governor, I agree with you 99% of the time. This is the one time I don't. I know you are busy, but please take the time to read (and reread) Q drops. Also, ask yourself: how could there be 50,000+ sealed indictments at the moment if Sessions wasn't working his butt off (behind the scenes)? If you are new to Q, it will be quite a job to catch up on almost a years' worth of posts, but there are people who can help. Go to YouTube and watch The Praying Medic, listen to War Drummer and IPOT (aka In Pursuit of Truth). You will never need cable TV/fake news again.

P.S. Q is REAL... the proofs will blow your mind!

• John Clark

09/04/2018 04:29 PM

I am beginning to think that no one really knows the meaning of getting tough with people when it comes to dealing with injustice, criminal activity, and national defense. Jeff Sessions certainly does not. I am still a Trump supporter, and I was delighted when Trump was going to meet with Kim Jung Un, but Trump was Mr. Nice Guy to Kim. He should have asked Kim point blank why he was continuing to test and fire missiles and make threats at the U.S. And then there is Mad Dog Maddox, who doesn't seem to be doing much of anything to stop North Korea and other nations like Iran who pose threats. Of course, I could be wrong because there is so much that we aren't told because of national security, and we don't want to display our hand to the enemy. But, things continue to not see any change at all, so it does make me wonder. But yes, Sessions needs to go. Since Trump is obviously so upset with Sessions, would someone please explain the reasoning why Trump would wait until after the mid-terms to accept his resignation? Would it not raise his approval ratings if he does it prior to that?

• Joseph

09/04/2018 04:12 PM

This is why We the People elected Trump as he is no stranger to fighting the opposition. He needs a Trey Gowdy in that job. Some one that will go for the jugular. Nice guys don't get it done obviously. We may never clean the swamp because to many top Republicans are the big fishs.

• Brenda Harshman

09/04/2018 04:01 PM

I cannot tell you how much it pleases me to read this today! Something is terribly wrong, he doesn't seem up to the job, or someone is holding his family hostage! President Trump doesn't have anything to lose by just asking for his papers and handing him the moving boxes. The media hate him anyway, why not at least do everything he can for these 8 years and go in a blaze of glory!! Go for it Mr President! We are behind you 100%....and by the way, we love your daughter Gov, she is the best thing to happen to this country since sliced bread!! Tell her she is prayed for along with our president every day!!

September 4, 2018

Nope.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Carole Moltz

09/05/2018 06:57 AM

• Maria Ferran

09/05/2018 03:49 AM

• Clifford Nichols

09/05/2018 01:24 AM

Your appraisal is perhaps sad, but also true.

I truly hoped either you and/or your daughter would see the latter.

That's all I have for now.

Best,

• Sevy Gangemi

09/04/2018 05:19 PM

• Kathy Wingate

09/04/2018 05:11 PM

• Pamela Jagielo

09/04/2018 05:11 PM

P.S. Q is REAL... the proofs will blow your mind!

• John Clark