AOC at SXSW

March 12, 2019

I honestly try not to feed the media hype machine around Vogue’s Most Stylish Socialist, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, by not reacting to every ridiculous thing she says.  As I’ve pointed out before, I’d be doing it all day, because she’s practically a non-stop fountain of nonsense.  When she’s on her notes, she sounds like Fidel Castro’s PR agent, and when she’s away from her notes, she sounds like a painfully uninformed bartender who’s been sampling the goods.

But when AOC tells a crowd of young people at the SXSW (South by Southwest) music and media festival in Austin (where the alt-rock bands aren’t the only ones filling the air with incomprehensible gibberish) that capitalism (which has lifted tens of millions of people out of poverty) is “irredeemable,” that Ronald Reagan’s economy was racist, and that America must be completely transformed because we can’t settle for just a 10% improvement on “garbage”…well, that sort of demands a response.

There are quite a few good refutations already on the Internet.  Here’s one that covers the basic points, which are so obvious, only the holder of a liberal arts degree from a Boston college wouldn’t already know them:

But let me add just a few that haven’t been talked about as much:

1.  Ronald Reagan left office in 1988.  AOC was born in 1989.  That means she has zero personal knowledge of what the Reagan years were like, nor of the economic failures and foreign policy fecklessness of the late ‘70s that led to his election.  Everything she knows about Reagan, she learned from leftist college professors, which is like saying that everything you know about Judaism, you learned from Louis Farrakhan.  Or everything you know about economics, you learned from Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

2.  When Reagan talked about people abusing the welfare system and losing their work ethic, he never assigned any racial aspect to it.  In fact, it was widely acknowledged back then that more white people than black people were on welfare.  When Reagan criticized welfare dependency, his liberal political enemies accused him of racism, even though they were the ones making racist assumptions about welfare recipients, not him.

3.  As to Reagan’s economy, which AOC claims “screw(ed) over working class Americans": The inflation rate when Reagan took office was 12.5%.  Three years later, it was down to 3.2%.  GDP growth in 1980 was negative-0.3%. By 1984, it was 7.2%.   Reagan’s first year in office, the unemployment rate was 8.5%.  By his final year, it was 5.3% (it takes unemployment longer to catch up to positive trends, but it certainly did.)

America’s working class was so furious with Reagan for “screwing them over” that they reelected him in 1984 in a 58.8% landslide.  His opponent, uber-liberal Walter Mondale, carried only one state (his home state of Minnesota), and Reagan’s win in the Electoral College was a record 525-13.

4.  The American economy, which is notching up record low unemployment rates in every demographic, is not “garbage,” nor is anything else about this country, which still stands as a beacon of freedom and opportunity to oppressed people around the world, despite the worst efforts of miseducated leftists to “fundamentally transform” it into Venezuela.

Ironically, however, in Venezuela, where the people sadly fell for the phony promises of "economic justice" and free stuff overseen by a benevolent socialist government, people are now sifting through garbage looking for anything to eat.  And that’s hard to do, when you can’t see the garbage due to the power outages, or wash it down, since the power knocked out the water pumps.

You can tell Venezuela is nearly at North Korea-levels of socialism, since it’s so dark, you can’t even see all the starving people.  Maybe that’s part of the plan.  When you look at nighttime satellite photos of North Korea, it is, appropriately enough, a black hole surrounded by light.  Socialism is turning Venezuela into a black hole, too.  AOC’s “Green New Deal” promises to do the same for us.  And like Nicolas Maduro, when it all ends up in disaster, she can just blame Republicans and say socialism works, the “right” people just haven’t been in charge yet.

I wonder if all those young hipsters cheering her at SXSW realize that in Venezuela, the power outages mean all their gadgets are dead and they can’t access any social media sites to hear about how great socialism is?

That reminds me of this rueful Cold War era joke that, like a lot of awful ideas from that time, is unfortunately making a comeback online:

What did socialists use before candles?  Electricity.

5.  Finally, to all those young hipsters cheering for AOC and her incoherent babbling about Reagan and socialism, I would ask you this: If she and her ilk ever do take over, and inevitably destroy the economy, do you think there will be any more SXSW festivals, and if so, that you’ll be able to attend?  Considering that badges for entrance cost between $1325 and $1650 each, you’d better hope someone redistributes a lot of other people’s money to you.

Personally, I can’t think of a better illustration of the current intellectual emptiness of the left in America than the sight of a designer-clad socialist media star ranting incoherently against capitalism to a crowd of people who paid $1650 apiece to listen to it.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

President Trump kicks off reelection campaign

Mr. Popularity

• Roxanne Boggiano

03/12/2019 03:59 PM

Be great if we can ship AOC to Venezuela for a personal economic lesson.

• Anne t.

03/12/2019 03:54 PM

What do you thinks the odds are that every one of the people involved in the
    University enrollment bribery is a progressive liberal?

• Anne t.

03/12/2019 03:53 PM

What do you thinks the odds are that every one of the people involved in the
    University enrollment bribery is a progressive liberal?

• Terri L Wyrick

03/12/2019 03:39 PM

Thank you for giving such a remarkable comment on AOC. I just hope I am gone from this earth before our nation becomes Socialist. I have been watching Venezuela closely and these young kids just don't understand how our country could be in the same place one day if our country becomes Socialist. These kids have it too good and really don't learn how we became the country that we are today. There are too many people in this country that take for granted that our country will always be as great as it is.

• James Brewington

03/12/2019 03:37 PM

I had a Swedish person tell me that Sweden was socialist and there were no homeless people. I should have asked that if it is so great in Sweden why is she in Texas, USA? AOC is just a puppet.

• Brian Sherman

03/12/2019 03:28 PM

Somebody please invite AOC to go to Venezuela to teach them how well socialism works. And then, allow her to stay there. Oh, and the good people of AOC's district needs to organize a recall to put someone in office who has more than an elementary school education on history.

• Waylon Bush

03/12/2019 03:08 PM

Is it true that AOC is amending the Green New Deal to "deal" with the idea that we may all go onto DST permanently? Since we are adding one hour of daylight, that means we will have a 25 hour day which will add to the demise of the planet through Global Warming, Climate Change, Voodoo Weather, etc. I've heard the addendum will be titled "Environmental Economics via Tax Incentive Use". Also, if we do go to a 25 hour day, I am also concerned the added hour of time that the American troops are in Guam will actually begin to slowly tip Guam into the Pacific. Isn't Guam our 57th state? Oh me, I believe I'll go stand in the 100% of the 20% chance of rain that was predicted for today.

• Christine Jackman

03/12/2019 03:01 PM

Great commentary Mike! What’s I think a little more disconcerting is that she keeps targeting and getting audience within certain venues that may never see the real truth. Somehow we need to be able to speak with the same people and reach them with these truths. Who keeps giving her these forums.....perhaps the same people who funded several extremely socialist candidates in swing states. Fortunately Gillum didn’t win in FL.

I pray some of the great folks like you and Candace Owens and others get to speak with the same people she does.... or when these young folks go to vote they may not have enough proof of the left foolishness. None of them in that age group have lived through really rough times. They have no idea what they are asking for..... but the elites behind the “face” AOC is for them certainly do.

• Teddie Forbes

03/12/2019 02:58 PM

I agree with you 100%. These kids that were elected to congress are really scaring me a lot, simply because people actually voted for these people....and I hate more than anything is that they have no reason but their main function is trying to find a way to "get rid of Trump"!!! They waste our money and time on blowing hot smoke, talk about "global warming"!!!! Those crazies are trying really hard to destroy our great country. TRUMP 2020!!!!

• Barbara Em

03/12/2019 02:43 PM

Please take a look at this: politichicks.com
    Must-Watch Video: The Brains Behind AOC

• Jimmie L Stevenson

03/12/2019 02:34 PM

Could you please send AOC your comments about Reagan maybe she might learn SOMETHING!

• Tom Brush

03/12/2019 02:33 PM

Right On!!!!

• Dave McCommons

03/12/2019 02:31 PM

Mike,

This woman is the most unqualified person ever to be elected to congress in our Countries history. At that event she could not even describe Capitalism. She sounded like a JR. High student who was called on in class and was caught not paying attention. For her to call our Country Garbage is something that really pisses me off. How dare her who does she think she is. If we are so low and in the garbage why are all the caravans heading our way? What do they like garbage as she calls it. If we were so bad we wouldn't have people sneaking across the border. I find it so hard to believe that she really has a degree from any University. I think my all time favorite will always be the one about how the unemployment rate is low because everyone has 2 jobs. That is classic and told me all I needed to know about her

• bEV MARTIN

03/12/2019 02:25 PM

I TOTALLY AGREE GOV HUCKABEE. NOW HOW DO WE STOP IT. TALKING TO THESE YOUNG SOCIALISTS IS LIKE TALKING TO A WALL. EVEN PRESENTING FACTS, THEY ARE TOO CAUGHT UP IN THE HYPE TO COMPREHEND. ESPECIALLY, THE VEGANS WHO WANT TO ABOLISH EATING ANIMAL MEAT AND DAIRY BECAUSE WE ARE RUINING THE PLANET. I DO AGREE IN EATING HEALTHY BUT GOD GAVE US DOMINION OVER THE ANIMALS AND, OTHER THAN ABUSE, PEOPLE CAN EAT HOW THEY CHOOSE. AT THIS POINT ALL I CAN DO IS PRAY WHICH IS GREAT BECAUSE HE'S IN CHARGE OF OUR FUTURE. PRAYING FOR TRUMP-PENCE 2020. THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO!

• Michael J Briglia

03/12/2019 02:20 PM

Best one yet Mike! Thanks

• Susan Perry

03/12/2019 02:18 PM

I think AOC better grow up. I also think that AOC and the other Democrats should fly to Venezuela and see first hand what the country is going through. If they like socialism so much, let them stay there. I am so sick of listening to them talk and they do not have any idea what they are saying and the younger generation and yes some of the older generation want free stuff like free college, free medical, do not have to have a job and get paid for doing nothing and they all believe this crap that is being spread. The so called presidential people that are running are also spreading the same thing about socialism and killing babies in the womb. They do not realize what their freedom really means but they might get what they are wishing for. Satan is running wild in this world and attacking everyone. The Lord is getting angry and people better start believing in our Heavenly Father before it is to late.

• Joan bates

03/12/2019 01:46 PM

Thanks for the reality check. AOC and other liberals are dangerous if we don’t know the truth. God bless you, President Trump Nd the USA.

• Joseph

03/12/2019 01:41 PM

I use to watch her video's just to get a laugh at how ignorant she is, but now she just sounds so pathetic that it isn't worth the time. It has floated around that Soros was connected to her in some way and now I believe it , as no one that ignorant could possibly get a Degree from any college and still be that dumb. Her major in Foreign what ever and her minor in Economics is a joke and they had to have been bought for her because in all her video's she sounds more uneducated than I do and I only have a High School education, although it was in the 50's when Journalism and History were still fairly honest. If she is what the Democrats are backing to take Pelosi's place when she enters the Home then this country is surely headed for a Revolution.

• Edward Lester

03/12/2019 01:40 PM

AOC cannot think. It is the result of learning from liberal (read socialist) professors who teach only socialist platitudes, epithets, and leftist agenda buzzwords. The art of critical thought has been supressed to the extent that millenials have difficulty choosing lunch from a McDonald's menu. I have noticed this at McDonald's near campuses. Idiocracy (the movie) has become a prophecy. AOC and her ilk have elevated ignorance to an art form.

• Pam Machu

03/12/2019 01:37 PM

I love to read your articles Mr. Huckabee!

• Billy Hudson

03/12/2019 01:19 PM

Gov. Huckabee, You keep saying that you don't want to talk about AOC so much but then you do. I realize that she has made so many uninformed and ridiculous statements that they go beyond normal comprehension and that she is nothing but a pawn for a ultra-socialist organization but I am wondering if the Democratic Party is not also using her to their pointed advantage. If the left minded democrats can point at her and say; well voters we actually disagree with her and are not moving that far left and look at our moderate position compared to AOC's, does that not in some way fill their desire to be seen by the voters as the middle of the road candidates? They have allow the road to be rerouted into the total darkness and they are suggesting they still have light. All of the publicity AOC gets is to their advantage. It is kind of like the people in Hollywood say all publicity is good publicity because it keeps your name in front of the public. And lets face it the liberal news media will spin even the worst publicity with some lie of how sin is not sin. Unfortunately as you have suggested our young people are not being taught to think for themselves in school but to regurgitate the leftist propaganda that has been floated like an iceberg for the past 2-3 generations. And like an iceberg it is not what you see above the water that is the problem, it is what you can't see beneath the water.

• Robert McFate

03/12/2019 01:16 PM

If this is an example of a college graduate it is time to redo what is taught! If she weren't so serious you would think she was some kind of lame comedian!

• Darlene F. Donston

03/12/2019 12:58 PM

Did see you on Fox and Friends this morning! We always try to watch the weekly and the weekend of them. I do turn on Dobbs once in a while and Tucker and Hannity and I try not to miss the Judge and you on Sat. but it is hard when the Predators have a Hockey game going on! lol. I might not watch it all, but at least I can hear them.
    I do think AOC needs to be tested for Drugs! How can anyone spout the stuff she does and not be sober? Personally I cannot stand her or Omar or the other Muslim. Disgusting having them in our Gov. There should be a Law that keeps them out of City, County, State and Fed. They have no business here in the first place! That is their plan to take over the whole World. By the way have you seen the pictures of France that are going around. I was sent an email with them yesterday. That is what the Socialists here want! Terrible! I am wondering if Germany is the same, it probably is and my husband just said this morning that London is probably the same, too. We had canceled 2 trips to Europe after that first bombing in France. But these pictures are just really sick.
    Well, I don't know what is going to happen but the World cannot go on much longer with what is happening now. No one has any Morals at all. Our kids have all been brainwashed and our celebrities are out of line and they are actually part of the problem along with the Liberals. Thank the Lord that our kids got out of school before it all changed and our Granddaughters went to the 2 Christian colleges in Nashville. But I still worry about them!
    So glad you are on FOX because that is the only one we watch unless it is a sport and NBC is horrid with even those and THANKS for your newsletter every day!

• James Willingham

03/12/2019 12:53 PM

Hope you and yours are well, Guv!
    Were there any conservatives appearing anywhere at SXSW?
    There are brave conservatives in the entertainment industry.
    Best and Godspeed!
    Jay, (James Estes Willingham, Jr., Esquire)

• Thomas Rosell

03/12/2019 12:51 PM

I marvel at the attitudes of the left& their push to rob the rich & give to the poor. Robin Hood is back! I wish colleges would teach Ayn Rands “ATLAS SHRUGGED “ & not the likes of AOC.

AOC at SXSW

March 12, 2019

But let me add just a few that haven’t been talked about as much:

What did socialists use before candles?  Electricity.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

President Trump kicks off reelection campaign

Mr. Popularity

• Roxanne Boggiano

03/12/2019 03:59 PM

Be great if we can ship AOC to Venezuela for a personal economic lesson.

• Anne t.

03/12/2019 03:54 PM

What do you thinks the odds are that every one of the people involved in the
    University enrollment bribery is a progressive liberal?

• Anne t.

03/12/2019 03:53 PM

What do you thinks the odds are that every one of the people involved in the
    University enrollment bribery is a progressive liberal?

• Terri L Wyrick

• Joseph

03/12/2019 01:41 PM

• Edward Lester

03/12/2019 01:40 PM

• Pam Machu

03/12/2019 01:37 PM

I love to read your articles Mr. Huckabee!

• Billy Hudson

03/12/2019 01:19 PM

• Robert McFate

03/12/2019 01:16 PM

• Darlene F. Donston

03/12/2019 12:58 PM

• James Willingham

03/12/2019 12:53 PM

Hope you and yours are well, Guv!
    Were there any conservatives appearing anywhere at SXSW?
    There are brave conservatives in the entertainment industry.
    Best and Godspeed!
    Jay, (James Estes Willingham, Jr., Esquire)

• Thomas Rosell

03/12/2019 12:51 PM

AOC at SXSW

March 12, 2019

But let me add just a few that haven’t been talked about as much:

What did socialists use before candles?  Electricity.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

President Trump kicks off reelection campaign

Mr. Popularity

• Roxanne Boggiano

03/12/2019 03:59 PM

Be great if we can ship AOC to Venezuela for a personal economic lesson.

• Anne t.

03/12/2019 03:54 PM

What do you thinks the odds are that every one of the people involved in the
    University enrollment bribery is a progressive liberal?

• Anne t.

03/12/2019 03:53 PM

What do you thinks the odds are that every one of the people involved in the
    University enrollment bribery is a progressive liberal?

• Terri L Wyrick

• Joseph

03/12/2019 01:41 PM

• Edward Lester

03/12/2019 01:40 PM

• Pam Machu

03/12/2019 01:37 PM

I love to read your articles Mr. Huckabee!

• Billy Hudson

03/12/2019 01:19 PM

• Robert McFate

03/12/2019 01:16 PM

• Darlene F. Donston

03/12/2019 12:58 PM

• James Willingham

03/12/2019 12:53 PM

Hope you and yours are well, Guv!
    Were there any conservatives appearing anywhere at SXSW?
    There are brave conservatives in the entertainment industry.
    Best and Godspeed!
    Jay, (James Estes Willingham, Jr., Esquire)

• Thomas Rosell