Continuing our theme that being “progressive” means constantly looking backwards (digging up every bad idea from the past, from socialism to anti-Semitism to non-PC Twitter jokes to measles), Sen. Elizabeth Warren is the latest Democrat to try to rerun Hillary Clinton’s 2016 election campaign by calling for the elimination of the Electoral College.

Many Democrats are still whining about Trump’s presidency not being “legitimate” because he didn’t win the popular vote, which is irrelevant (if it had been a popular vote election, both candidates would have run completely different campaigns aimed at turnout.)  They say this is an affront to democracy, but America is not a pure democracy.  The Founders feared the tyranny of the majority and created a Constitutional republic for good reason, so that any candidate would have to win broad support across the nation, not just in a handful of heavily-populated cities.

Some dismiss this as putting “geography” ahead of people, but it’s actually protecting people.  People in farming or ranching states shouldn’t be steamrolled by voters 1,000 miles away who have no understanding or concern about their lives and interests.  If you want to see what a national popular vote election would be like, ask a conservative farmer in California or Colorado how well he feels his state government represents him now.

Hillary was done in by a number of factors, not least of which was her decision to ignore the problems of voters in Rust Belt states.  So they voted for the candidate who actually came there and addressed their concerns (Trump), which is exactly as the Founders intended.

Even Snopes.com had to grudgingly admit that without the heavy leftwing turnout in California, Hillary’s “popular vote majority” would have vanished.

One of the benefits of being my age is that you’ve lived long enough to have seen people argue over the same issue from both sides of their mouths.  For instance, when I say that if Democrats win the next election by Electoral votes but lose the popular vote, they’ll suddenly start voicing deep respect for the Electoral system, it’s not just guesswork.  I remember the 2000 election, where Al Gore (when he thought he might win the Electoral but not the popular vote) piously warned that “this is not a popularity contest.”  After he lost the Electoral vote but barely won the popular vote, suddenly, it was a popularity contest.  Too bad for the Democrats it wasn’t a hypocrisy contest.

Trivia note: Trump is actually the fifth President who took office without winning the popular vote.  The way “progressives” are so focused on refighting every battle from the dim past, I expect them to soon start protesting that Rutherford B. Hayes was an “illegitimate” President and demanding that he be replaced in history books with his Democratic opponent, Samuel Tilden.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Kathy Drum

03/19/2019 12:42 PM

I so agree with you Governor Huckabee! Praise God our Founding Fathers had the Insight that they had when writing the Constitution.

• Vickie Fiorentino

03/19/2019 12:16 PM

So, can those states wanting to give their votes to the popular and not the actual electoral, do that?

• Paul Kern

03/19/2019 12:14 PM

I am deeply disturbed at the faje info out ther promoted by some conservatives. Saw that some believed it was started be white southern slaveholders. Told one that if abolished Californiaand Nee York would get their man or woman in office each election. a great deal od misinformation/ fake. news out. I expect to see Fox News to come out for it soon as it is becoming a ledt wing station

• Gregory Weinman

03/19/2019 12:14 PM

I beg to differ Governor. The southern states did not want New York bossing them around. To even thing up the upper house needed 2 representatives from each state and the representatives of both houses elected the president. Remember Governor. It was only recently that Senators sat for elections.

• Larry Mashburn

03/19/2019 12:05 PM

Governor Mike, Thanks for the endless hours & efforts you and your staff put in, I cannot believe anything I hear or read from the news media, I read every article you and your write. I really like your TV program and thanks for re-running on Sunday. Sad, all these democratic running for President all have the same platform, and do not bring anything new to the table. All Warren wants to do is eliminate something that works well and has for years. I have an issue with state senators that vote against the will of the majority of the people that elected them. An example is Lamar Alexander, by all the polls I read he did not do what the Tennessee Voters wanted and voted with the demorats. This is so sad to think we say he represents our will, he is like a parent and decides what is best for us. I am really tired of this, yes I'll go to the polls but he can continue to go against the majority and say it is in our best interest. I just wanted to say thank you for you efforts.
    Best Regards Larry

• Janice Short

03/19/2019 11:36 AM

Warren knows she will never be elected if the electoral college is still in place. These crazies will try anything to get elected so they can cause more havoc on our country.

• John D Ames

03/19/2019 11:03 AM

I appreciate that she supports it but doesn't the Constitution make it impossible to do. As I read and understand it, they can always pass amendments, however, they can't change whats already in the Constitution. In other words, they can add but not take away.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Kathy Drum

03/19/2019 12:05 PM

Best Regards Larry

• Janice Short

03/19/2019 11:36 AM

• John D Ames

03/19/2019 11:03 AM

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Kathy Drum