Ainsworth: MISS MANNERLY's column after SOTU Address

February 7, 2019

Dear Miss. Mannerly:

I had to sit in a highly public spot during one of the most uncomfortable and painful experiences I have ever had to endure in my long –- very, very long –- career. It was the occasion of an important speech, and I had to sit in full view right behind the speaker, whom I detest. (I’m sure the feeling is mutual.) This was an hour-and-a-half of sheer torture. Not only were all eyes in the room focused in my direction, but there were numerous cameras there, including live video, to capture my every expression for posterity. I knew I was completely visible at all times and was expected to maintain a respectful demeanor on this official occasion, but I just couldn’t control my facial movements, even though it’s often difficult for me to move parts of it at all. I did applaud when it was absolutely necessary, but took the opportunity to make a statement and register my contempt by making most of my clapping as unenthusiastic as possible. On an irresistible impulse, I even clapped “at” him when he turned to me, just to inject a little condescension. I don’t see what’s wrong with doing this, as I am already known as an enemy of this person and all he stands for.

I did get the memo on the dress code --- all white for the women --- and followed it to a “t.” But now that the evening is over, I’m hearing that I was rude. What did I do wrong?

Gentle Reader:

It sounds as though you have been through a difficult and very trying experience, and Miss Mannerly offers her sympathy. Yet from your letter she gets the impression that your behavior on this occasion was extremely inappropriate. It’s when we are in uncomfortable and perplexing situations that we need our good manners most of all.

Your rudeness stems from the fact that an important speech was being given, so important that it was being beamed out live to a huge television audience, and you were doing what they call in the film industry “pulling focus.” It doesn’t matter whether or not you personally like the speaker or agree with what he had to say. Your role on this occasion was intended to be ceremonial. It would have been proper to avoid pursed or puckered lips, a sour expression, sullen clapping, and distracting motions such as, say, shuffling through a stack of papers while the speaker is talking. One should strive for a pleasantly benign expression, applaud politely, and offer no annoying distractions.

You seem to excuse your behavior by saying you “detest” the speaker and asserting that he feels the same way about you. Assuming he does, Miss Mannerly is wondering: was he similarly rude and condescending to you on this occasion? Or did he set personal feelings aside, at least temporarily, and behave politely towards you while the world was watching? If he did, you might take a lesson from him.

This goes as well for those members of the audience who presumably agree with you about this speaker. Miss Mannerly cautions all of you that if you want respect for your opinions, you must behave in a polite, professional manner. If you use rudeness to force your opinions on others, they will defend themselves by pushing back, and if it comes to that, they have Miss Mannerly’s blessing.

By the way, all-white for the ladies is an unusual dress code. Might Miss Mannerly inquire as to its purpose? If dressing in this fashion was also an attempt to undermine or otherwise express hostility towards the speaker –- who is, after all, an invited guest –- then it also is impolite. The word “childish” also comes to mind.

Miss Mannerly recommends that you apologize publicly for your behavior, and also send a personal, handwritten note of apology to the speaker. Under the circumstances, a bouquet of flowers would be a nice addition. And if you are going to be put in this position again next year, she hopes you will strive to play your role more effectively, professionally and politely.

………………….

Dear Miss Mannerly:

I was in the audience recently for a major address by a speaker I detest. It was a big event; all three branches of government were there:  the President (ugh!!!!!), the House, and the Senate, plus some other people in robes and uniforms. I was sitting with my like-minded sisters, and we just DID NOT feel like smiling, so we sat there with dark, brooding faces and talked sideways to each other a lot. I knew the TV cameras would be on me a lot because, let’s face it, I’m a big deal –- super-young and super-photogenic –- and I know a TREMENDOUS LOT about stuff like economics and intersectionality and must surely be at the tippy-top of the IQ scale. (I know that looks and clothes and stuff are so “bourgeois,” but I’m using my appearance to help me achieve my goal of taking over America for socialism. If I have to wear a $3,000 outfit to do that, so be it!)

After the event, though, a lot of people whose opinions I scorn anyway criticized me for deliberately looking sullen and disrespectful. I am not sorry one bit, so why should I apologize?

By the way, like my sisters, I got the memo on the dress code (can’t remember for sure, but this may have even been my idea):  all-white for women, to honor the women’s suffrage movement after a century of women exercising their voting rights. I followed the dress code and wore just the right thing, and, wow, do I look good in white.

Gentle Reader:

As for wearing white, kindly reference the previous letter and my response above. Miss Mannerly still has the impression that the wearing of white on this occasion was primarily done to show solidarity against the speaker, who was an invited guest. For that reason, she finds it inhospitable and therefore inappropriate.

As someone in the public eye, you are especially obligated to behave with grace and good manners, even though we live at a time when relatively few famous people do this. Miss Gladys Knight comes to mind most readily as a positive example. Why not try to model yourself after her? It occurs to Miss Mannerly that Miss Knight wore all-white when she sang at the Super Bowl, but in that case it wasn’t done to undermine anyone. Indeed, she was celebrating our entire nation.

As for taking over America for socialism, Miss Mannerly has observed that most political radicals have atrocious manners and hopes you will not follow in their footsteps. She also happens to know enough about history and economics to hope you will abandon your quest, for the sake of the country. (It’s very challenging to remain polite while losing basic freedoms and facing shortages of food and – ahem --bathroom tissue.) Miss Mannerly apologizes for interjecting her political opinion, though it has long been proven correct, and feels she should send you a small gift to make amends. How about an autographed copy of a book by Thomas Sowell?

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Critics call declassification move "un-American"

Devin Nunes to Trump: Ask Theresa May about the spying

The "Gender Pay Gap"

• Bill Gannon

02/07/2019 07:11 PM

Miss Mannerly,
    Might I suggest that if these ill-mannered attendees insist on acting like children then we should treat them as such and put them on an extended time out? This would allow the adults to accomplish the goals for the good of all.

• Jane Mitchell

02/07/2019 07:01 PM

WOW....I LOVE your Miss Mannerly posts! They were so good! I smiled all through them....and I wish the two insensitive women spoken about would take the advice so generously and humorously given! Keep up the great work!

• Dan Barberree

02/07/2019 06:20 PM

I postulate that wearing all white could have been the progressive women's subtle way of celebrating the amazing success afforded them by our white founders, otherwise they would have worn brown.

• Sandra L Trippe

02/07/2019 06:20 PM

I watched SOTU and it’s incomprehensible some of our elected leaders demonstrate so much disrespect, unprofessional behavior and pure hate! It’s sad because “we the people” literally are forced to pay for these leaders who place their personal agendas ahead of the welfare of their country.

• Richard Edler

02/07/2019 05:51 PM

Sorry, I meant Ainsworth not Ainsley if you could please correct my comment on her Miss Manners article on the STOU speech. Thank you! She is such a good writer!

• Richard Edler

02/07/2019 05:48 PM

Brilliantly written Miss Mannera for the STOU speech, Ainsley. Summarizes what we all felt regarding manners and intent and playing childish games. This is not what we want our youth to see or be. What horrible role models and very selfish actions and behaviors. Dems know they had nothing so created their ususal immature grandstanding. We rose instead and heard it all regardless of the silly games and we are the mature true Americans who will lead this country for our children. Keep up the good work! And thank you for calling this like we all saw it. Embarrassing, childish, and unpatriotic on the Dem side. Sad for the new ones and Dems who would probably like to leave Pelosi and Schumer. They are the true socialists not letting their own party members have any independence! Wasn’t America built on freedom of expression and free thought and independence? Pelosi and Schumer destroyed that.

• David Mansingh

02/07/2019 05:48 PM

Excellent; I wish I had written those words.

• HARRY CHENEY

02/07/2019 05:23 PM

Considering the history of the Democrat Party, I am not sure it is good messaging for a large assembly of Democrats dressed in white. It brings up memories of white hoods and robes.

• Christine Cloen

02/07/2019 05:17 PM

First, let me apologize, I am from New York, and feel I must ask the world to forgive me for the likes of Chuck Schumer. Not ALL New York should be be held responsible for Mr. Schumer or Alexandria OC, or even Hillary, or Cuomo.... wow, There really is a lot to apologize for. Outside of NYC, the are millions of normal hardworking respectable people, REALLY.
    Calls to Mr Schumers' office asking him to start respecting the tax payers of New York are ignored. If we didn't have grandchildren in New York we would gladly take President Trump's suggestion and leave.

• Mona Weisenberg

02/07/2019 05:01 PM

This commentary presented was so entertaining and couldn't have been more accurate. It was a delight to read and I only wish I could have been the one to have actually sent them. Thank you Governor Huckabee for expressing my exact sentiments. May God continue to bless our United States of America and may President continue to be successful in bringing our country back as "one nation under God....etc." I am part of the so-called "greatest generation" and I remember when we all respected and loved our wonderful land. Now we have those who want to destroy it and take away the God-given freedoms...I continue to lift up our country to God and pray that all illegal abortion clinics be shut down completely and those who perform these murderous acts be repentful of their deeds...for they one day will have to face God and explain to him...GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY GOVERNOR HUCKABEE...

• joseph orsini

02/07/2019 04:55 PM

Racist Dems?? They believe a woman's charges about Kavanaugh but not a woman's charges about VA Lt. Gov - is it because the former is a WHITE WOMAN but the latter is a BLACK WOMAN?

• Linda Dempsey

02/07/2019 04:53 PM

This is extremely funny and on point! I found the "women in white" to be pretty pathetic. Thank you, Mr. Huckabee, for sharing this humorous take on President Trump's SOTU address!

• Carolyn Hayes

02/07/2019 04:30 PM

Miss Mannerly's comments are spot on. I fully agree with her assessments!!

• Sonnie Douglas

02/07/2019 04:05 PM

This is priceless even though the people who need to see and read, most likely not. I so enjoy your take on the state of our country and thank you for continually being a voice of reason and fun reading!

• Elliott Brown

02/07/2019 04:05 PM

Dear Ms. M, Could white hoodies have matched well with the white garb? A real fashion statement, maybe? I'm actually at odds on this. I do know that at times I am unsure of a number of things, like whether to stand or sit and have to look around to see how others will respond. But it did feel awkward when my mother said I looked like a big snowflake. Could time actually change these feelings as you suggested or will I have to just live with them?

• Nancy Lowell

02/07/2019 04:04 PM

I agree with Miss Mannerly 100 per cent--t see all these people--most especially the Speaker of the House sit--make faces, refuse to stand for a sitting President when it is appropriate is a dishonor to the entire country--I can truly say--shame,shame on you and YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE--and even worse not to acknowledge the First Lady--totally totally against everything our forefathers planned so lon ago--to all these people with their pbnoxious behavirs, rudeness, face-making, sly aside comments--Mr. Schumer in particular--A POX ON ALL OF YOU.

• Coleen Bane

02/07/2019 04:02 PM

Thank you Mike Huckabee for being a writer who expresses truth in a civil and gracious manner!!!

• Sue Persson

02/07/2019 03:49 PM

Miss Mannerly letters: BRILLIANTLY SARCASTIC! I feel much better now that you have admonished them, because I had to face away from my TV the whole hour and just LISTEN (which was GREAT) so as not to spit on my TV screen at their intentionally rude and contemptible behavior to OUR PRESIDENT!

• Firewagon

02/07/2019 03:20 PM

Ahh, Miss Mannerly is one perspicacious source for 'political manners!' It is, however, unfortunate that those she attempts to enlighten do not have the mental acuity to process, much less agree with, her recommendations.

• Ann Jowers

02/07/2019 03:11 PM

Miss Manners is correct. It is obvious, however, that some elite politicians have yet to make her acquaintance.
    In Granny’s words: They weren’t raised right.

• Sandra Roberts

02/07/2019 03:02 PM

I surely wish there was a way we could get her to read that letter Better yet her to stand and listen to someone else read the letter to her Mrs Pelosi definitely has no manners I knew that before Miss Manners even told me??

• Robert McFate

02/07/2019 02:53 PM

Huck;
    Can get anymore polite with jabs than those! All they achieved was to show just how out of touch they are with the needs of our country. The message I took away is that they will resist no matter how good for the country the ideas expressed!

• Janice Lamb

02/07/2019 02:51 PM

Kudos to MS. Mannerly! LOL!

• Tamra Govitz

02/07/2019 02:49 PM

Manners matter! I loved this article and agree that manners and respect in society today are severely lacking and that those two character traits alone could make a huge impact in our society if only they would make a comeback. I pray that they do.

• jack macdonald

02/07/2019 02:46 PM

It occurs to me that the behavior of our lefty loons is only one step from socialism becoming fascism. They need to pick up their history books so they can see where this all leads. It is obvious that they no longer respect the elective process or capitalism. jm

Ainsworth: MISS MANNERLY's column after SOTU Address

February 7, 2019

Dear Miss. Mannerly:

Gentle Reader:

………………….

Dear Miss Mannerly:

Gentle Reader:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Critics call declassification move "un-American"

Devin Nunes to Trump: Ask Theresa May about the spying

• Richard Edler

02/07/2019 05:51 PM

• Richard Edler

02/07/2019 05:48 PM

• David Mansingh

02/07/2019 05:48 PM

Excellent; I wish I had written those words.

• HARRY CHENEY

02/07/2019 05:23 PM

• Christine Cloen

02/07/2019 05:17 PM

• Mona Weisenberg

02/07/2019 05:01 PM

• joseph orsini

02/07/2019 04:55 PM

• Linda Dempsey

02/07/2019 04:53 PM

• Carolyn Hayes

02/07/2019 04:30 PM

Miss Mannerly's comments are spot on. I fully agree with her assessments!!

• Sonnie Douglas

02/07/2019 04:05 PM

• Elliott Brown

02/07/2019 04:05 PM

• Nancy Lowell

02/07/2019 04:04 PM

• Coleen Bane

02/07/2019 04:02 PM

• Sue Persson

02/07/2019 03:49 PM

• Firewagon

02/07/2019 03:20 PM

• Ann Jowers

02/07/2019 03:11 PM

In Granny’s words: They weren’t raised right.

• Sandra Roberts

02/07/2019 03:02 PM

• Robert McFate

02/07/2019 02:53 PM

Huck;

• Janice Lamb

02/07/2019 02:51 PM

Kudos to MS. Mannerly! LOL!

• Tamra Govitz

02/07/2019 02:49 PM

• jack macdonald

02/07/2019 02:46 PM

Ainsworth: MISS MANNERLY's column after SOTU Address

February 7, 2019

Dear Miss. Mannerly:

Gentle Reader:

………………….

Dear Miss Mannerly:

Gentle Reader:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Critics call declassification move "un-American"

Devin Nunes to Trump: Ask Theresa May about the spying

• Richard Edler

02/07/2019 05:51 PM

• Richard Edler

02/07/2019 05:48 PM

• David Mansingh

02/07/2019 05:48 PM

Excellent; I wish I had written those words.

• HARRY CHENEY

02/07/2019 05:23 PM

• Christine Cloen

02/07/2019 05:17 PM

• Mona Weisenberg

02/07/2019 05:01 PM

• joseph orsini

02/07/2019 04:55 PM

• Linda Dempsey

02/07/2019 04:53 PM

• Carolyn Hayes

02/07/2019 04:30 PM

Miss Mannerly's comments are spot on. I fully agree with her assessments!!

• Sonnie Douglas

02/07/2019 04:05 PM

• Elliott Brown

02/07/2019 04:05 PM

• Nancy Lowell

02/07/2019 04:04 PM

• Coleen Bane

02/07/2019 04:02 PM

• Sue Persson

02/07/2019 03:49 PM

• Firewagon

02/07/2019 03:20 PM

• Ann Jowers

02/07/2019 03:11 PM

In Granny’s words: They weren’t raised right.

• Sandra Roberts

02/07/2019 03:02 PM

• Robert McFate

02/07/2019 02:53 PM

Huck;

• Janice Lamb

02/07/2019 02:51 PM

Kudos to MS. Mannerly! LOL!

• Tamra Govitz