"Hucktown"

Less than 3 minute read

July 1, 2019 |

There are a lot of people these days who think government should do everything for everyone (even illegal immigrants.) For many who are overworked and feeling burned out, that can be a very tempting offer.  After all, personal responsibility is a lot of work!

But when you look at the staggering debt that’s threatening our grandchildren’s futures and wondering how that came to be, the answer is simple: a lack of personal responsibility.  People thinking up things they thought the government ought to do and expecting them to be paid for with somebody else’s money. Thomas Jefferson said, “The government is best that governs least,” but small, cost-efficient government requires a population that’s willing and able largely to govern themselves.

To explain why government costs as much as it does, let me take you to a city that I’ll call “Hucktown.”  Hey, it’s my story, so I get to name the town.  In Hucktown, everyone is exactly like…well, me. (Don’t say it’s unrealistic: the entire “progressive” movement is based on trying to force everything to act, talk and think exactly the same.)  Like me, nobody in Hucktown smokes or drinks or takes drugs.  We all obey the laws and try to watch our diets and exercise.  We stay married and teach our kids to respect other people’s property and do their homework.  Everyone gets up early and usually works late (they have to: since they’re just like me, they all have at least five jobs.)

Because of all this, Hucktown’s government would save a lot of money.  It wouldn’t need a jail or a divorce court or drug counselors or rehab clinics or very many hospitals or police.  I can guarantee it wouldn’t need to hire anyone to scrub off graffiti.  So can you imagine how low the taxes would be in Hucktown?  That’s because when people govern themselves by practicing civility and personal responsibility, they need less outside government to force them to behave properly.

But before you start packing up to move there, I should point out that Hucktown is imaginary (although Branson is close.)  In reality, there will always be people who impose costs on society, either because of problems they can’t help, or because they choose not to be responsible.  For these folks, we’ll always need expensive social services, hospitals, rehabs, counselors and jails.

But what if you lived in the exact opposite of Hucktown: a place where everyone decided that it would be easier to cede responsibility for every tough decision to the government?  After all, it’s hard work to choose a medical insurance policy, or plan for retirement, or decide what kind of car to drive.  Why not let the government take all those decisions off your shoulders?

Because you pay very dearly for it, in three ways.  First, if you don’t like the decision the government makes for you, tough luck. Unlike with free enterprise, capitalism and competition, you have no place else to turn.  Second, as Ben Franklin pointed out, when you trade a little freedom for a little security, you’ll soon have neither.  And third, there’s the staggering monetary cost of having the government do all those things for all those people.

I imagined a town where people didn’t need a lot of government, so taxes could be very low and named it “Hucktown.”  Now, you imagine a place where people expect the government to do everything for them from cradle to grave.  Then imagine how high the taxes and how big the debt would be.  My suggestion for the name of that place: “Bernietown.”

• Danilo Reyes

07/01/2019 03:32 PM

No comment

• Lois M. Deeds

07/01/2019 02:48 PM

I would prefer to live in Hucktown. Amazing that some people have lived on the public dole for years, has prospered and now has the "last word" on what is best for this country (like socialism).

Love your TV show and I love SARAH!

• Robbie Mize

07/01/2019 02:35 PM

I definitely prefer to live in Hucktown. I can dream there, my children and grandchildren would be safe there. But heaven forbid that I am forced to live in Bernietown.....I'd rather just move from my earthly home that is only temporary and take up residence in my eternal home. And I even fear in Bernietown they might decide that is exactly what I should do and would make sure I did just that!

• Kenneth Gruneisen

07/01/2019 02:04 PM

Dear Mr. Huckabee, Your daughter did an excellent job working for the President, and I was wondering if he has reached out to you for help filling her spot? It could be part of his, "Make millions of older American guys great again", campaign. I enjoyed reading your book, "Do The Right Thing" years ago. Thank you for the insight! I play bass guitar, and the fact you play great bass is just another reason I like you.

Wishing you well, Sir! I hope to see you in Hucktown some day! KJG

• David E Palmer

07/01/2019 02:00 PM

Mr. Huckabee, I like and agree with what you said! It reminds me of a conversation I had with an atheist one day. He was trying to convince me of how God was obsolete and not needed in society. I told him I always wondered why so called atheist seemed to want to live in a Godly society instead of living in a society made up of atheist. I told him it seems as though they like everyone else following the principles that make a good society, but want to choose to live their lives not following those principles. I told him a true atheistic society would be like playing king of the hill grown up style! It would be like my hen house all the chickens going around pecking on each other trying to be the head pecker! It would be utter chaos! Godly principles are not found in man, but they need to be followed by man for there to be order. But like you say it requires surrender or the desire to follow. Our founding fathers came up with a wonderful brilliant way of governing, providing us with freedom. Just like God's word, it only works when we are willing to the follow the principles!

"Hucktown"

Less than 3 minute read

July 1, 2019 |

• Danilo Reyes

07/01/2019 03:32 PM

No comment

• Lois M. Deeds

07/01/2019 02:48 PM

Love your TV show and I love SARAH!

• Robbie Mize

July 1, 2019 |

• Danilo Reyes

07/01/2019 03:32 PM

No comment

• Lois M. Deeds

07/01/2019 02:48 PM

Love your TV show and I love SARAH!

• Robbie Mize